• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

6 Insane Drug Myths People Used to Teach as Fact (Cracked)

its a fucking scam.. endless prison population to make money off, money that the goods taxpayer shells out.. "rehabilitation" and reinsertion into society in the US is a fuking tradgedy.

It's even worse than a scam. But the people running it are good with control of information, and the media.

Drug dealing to support addiction and buying in bulk to distribute among users are both forms of trafficking.

The Federal law requires a mandatory 5 year sentence for trafficking 500 grams of cocaine; "couple of grams of coke", do you mean crack? A law which existed prior to 2010.

There is a modest amount of Federal inmates serving time for simple possession but this is nowhere near a majority.

I actually don't know off the top of my head about the federal system, but in terms of state prisons, especially the states I've lived in (CT and CA mostly), yes, the majority of people serving time for drug law violations are repeat offenders of simple possession or people whom the law deemed as traffickers or dealer because they had a certain amount that crossed some largely arbitrary threshold established by the law.

On another note pmoseman, I am genuinely happy that there is a BLer around here who isn't only quite intelligent but also knows something about the legal system in the US, despite how fucked up it is (and doesn't just focus on how fucked up it is; despite how fucked up it is, I'd rather have to deal with the rule of law US style than Thai style - although I'd rather deal with Thai style healthcare than US style healthcare, but I digress). No joke, even if we don't always see eye-to-eye (although I think we mostly do), it's refreshing to have a different/new and more to the point thoughtfully critical point of view around here.

Perhaps I should have said that the majority of people involved in the criminal justice system (and it's a large system as I hope we'd all know by know) are so involved because of drug law violations (indirectly or directly; or violations of related laws/policies/prohibition/etc). For instance, in CT, most people in prisons in the state itself (and in the prisons outside the state the state contracts it's prisoners out to house) are there for drug law violations, and the majority of people involved with the criminal justice system in CT are likewise involved because of drug law violations. Ugh, I feel like I'm repeating myself now so I'll shut up for a minute.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish we had more information like this to look at.
613790026-crack.png

Found around page 20 of this 200 page report:
http://www.ussc.gov/sites/default/f...pics/200705_RtC_Cocaine_Sentencing_Policy.pdf

Last edited:
^True, more hard info like that is always useful, especially before it's been manipulated by some politician or wealthy citizen who's tough on crime, trying to justify whatever policy they have for the moment and garner supporters, or some sensationalist reporter.

Another issues with categorizations like this is that so much of the time dealers and users are use in the same. Nothing we didn't already know, but something to definitely keep in mind. A lot of the time it's impossible to classify someone as one or the other, as they sell to support their habits, only sell to their friends, but aren't making any (real) money off the sales other than using them to help support their habits.

The Sentencing Project and Urban Policy Institute have a lot of good info and visuals like the graph in your post too. Might want to check some of their reports and publications out - lots of very good stuff (often better than what the DOJ and BOP puts out in a pathetic kind of way...).

Damn- I didn't want to post on this old thing but no ,pmoseman, whatever crazy "rules" you are talking about in regards to felony drug possession are certainly not the case. I know from experience that they did not let me out of jail, they would not let my mom sign a surety bond to get me out, they treated me like absolute Shit the whole time I was in custody to the point I was finally taken to the hospital overcome with sepsis and damn close to death.

I did not take my case to trial because I was advised that if found guilty, which I'm sure would have happened, I would have to do 3 years county time. So I took the plea because, quite frankly, I was too fucking sick to fight it. Plus I knew that for exercising my right to a trial I would have been penalized and gotten more time. It happens everyday!

Did I mention this was my first offense ever? Never even had a speeding ticket and they fucked me in the ass. I know I got off relatively lucky as opposed to others that end up getting life for dumb Shit like that, but should we really be happy that we got off "easy" in comparison? I think not.

Myths I hear more often:If it's from the doctor, you'll be safe. no one can get addicted to medicines doctors prescribes./

'Natural' drugs are safer than synthetic ones./

Drug addiction is a choice./
As I've read so many times, drug use is a choice
, and if you use it for a long time it will change your body and brain's chemistry. That's when the user don't seem to have - this is when use and misuse become addiction.

Addicts are bad people. /

Prison is our arbitrary convention for dealing with crime. You have what is called slave mind pmoseman. You attribute special significance to whatever ineffective bullshit society decides to penetrate you with. Essentially you are a tool, a flashlight meant to simulate the back entry. Whatever authority was, you would support with your submissive idiocy. I can only hope your colon is perforated and you succumb to peritonitis.