• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

6 Insane Drug Myths People Used to Teach as Fact (Cracked)

How can you, as a person, be wrong. You are you.
As far as doing things that are wrong. The rules that make a person wrong are arbitrary and try as we might, we all break them from time to time.
I am curious as to whether these quotes are real or not. That is the horse I rode in on and the one I plan to ride out on. I looked at the first link and see the author did not source it. Quotes are quotes, if you want to paraphrase what someone said or wrote you do it without putting quotes around it, as the author of the book chose to do, offset it from the rest of the text. Quote means this is exactly what was said, it is like writing a math equation, you either get it wrong or right.

EDIT:
You can't prove someone didn't say something. You have to prove that they did. See how that works?
Now I have some grainy old photos of Clemens at the exact moment he was saying,
300px-1860-_Clemens.jpg

"I like bacon." - Samuel Clemens (1860)

Last edited:
Thank you pmoseman for the self-fulfilling prophecy.

Nitpicks references? Check.
Nitpicks grammar? Check.
Nitpicks definition of various words? Check.
Waste of time? Check.

That book link that you "looked at" is registered with the Library of Congress, and also with the International Standard for Organization's International Standard Book Number book identifier database.

Anslinger's quotes have also been quoted in many other articles, documentaries, and books, and they continue to be. I'm quite sure we would have heard something by now from the Anslinger Estate if it was all a lie.

Nothing has changed from you, I see. What have you to say about the following claims after the recent law enforcement-related articles posted in DiTM:

pmoseman said:
Nobody is harmed by being sentenced to prison

pmoseman said:
Prison is the point where your life gets turned around

pmoseman said:
My views on prison is that of a real prison experience

pmoseman said:
Myself personally being a prisoner is unnecessary

Do you still believe you know best?

It seems that whomever supposedly lied to you regarding something must have caused a serious shift in your decision-making and/or opinions with respect to controversial topics.

Thank you pmoseman for the self-fulfilling prophecy.

Nitpicks references? Check.
Nitpicks grammar? Check.
Nitpicks definition of various words? Check.
Waste of time? Check.

That book link that you "looked at" is registered with the Library of Congress, and also with the International Standard for Organization's International Standard Book Number book identifier database.

Anslinger's quotes have also been quoted in many other articles, documentaries, and books, and they continue to be. I'm quite sure we would have heard something by now from the Anslinger Estate if it was all a lie.

Nothing has changed from you, I see. What have you to say about the following claims after the recent law enforcement-related articles posted in DiTM:

Do you still believe you know best?

It seems that whomever supposedly lied to you regarding something must have caused a serious shift in your decision-making and/or opinions with respect to controversial topics.
Take it personally. Take it personally.

You know, the Library of Congress (1800) knows what a fucking quote is. We have had this discussion once before already and I was not talking with you in the first place. You are completely incompetent. You have a defect. You stand out in this regard. I have 0 respect for you. Whether you are just kidding me to laugh or this is the way you choose to learn from people, there is something very wrong with what you do.

I still like you. It is not anything like that, but pretending not to like me... well, you are just kidding yourself. Never going to happen Ro. We live in different worlds. I seriously have other things I need to be doing.

Last edited:
Take it personally. Take it personally.

You know, the Library of Congress (founded in 1812) knows what a fucking quote is.

I would hope so, because the book in question has quite a few quotes in it.

We have had this discussion once before already and I was not talking with you in the first place.

Well hopefully I didn't break any rules.

You are completely incompetent. You have a defect. You stand out in this regard. I have 0 respect for you.

Because I managed to piss you off by quoting some of your past claims which are clearly not true? We are making progress! Thank you Lord!

Whether you are just kidding me to laugh or this is the way you choose to learn from people, there is something very wrong with what you do.

It may seem shocking, but I've been trying to get you to "listen" to yourself "talk" (I use quotations since we're chatting on the internet).

It's okay to be wrong. Hell, I've been wrong so many times about so many things. And I've apologized to others for it.

I even apologized to you a few days ago for crossing the line in terms of getting too personal at times. It can be difficult to admit it, but it's a huge relief I find - even if whoever I apologize to doesn't forgive me.

There is no shame in being wrong. Of course we're all wrong at times - that's life for a human being.

I still like you. It is not anything like that, but pretending not to like me... well, you are just kidding yourself. Never going to happen Ro. We live in different worlds. I seriously have other things I need to be doing.

Oh I love you too sweetheart - let's grab a coffee.

I talked to a few people and figured out that I wanted to stay far far away from being on the bad side of the legal system.
I didn't like the system before entering and liked it even less after leaving.
I can not know if the way I changed was because of that system, you would need a crystal ball, but I can say that some of how I changed for the better is because of the money they take from you.
Other unfair things in life have hurt me 1000x worse.

So the you changed because of the legal system, or because the activities you were doing were something you shouldn't do, or a combination of the two?

Probably.

Do I think sending someone to prison 18 years for trying to poison politicians with ricin is going to change who they are? They might change in those 18 years. Sure, it is possible staying in a locked room makes people good. Anything is possible. Maybe after 3-4 rounds of trying to trigger probation will cause the person to start believing their own self-improved psycho-babble. Maybe after X number of years people give up on revenge, depending on the crime they committed. Maybe it is designed to drive her crazy and she leaves less able to succeed than when she entered. Maybe she needs to give up feeling in control and independent from society. Maybe killing her would be a wiser choice or letting her go after a nice sit down explanation of why what she did was wrong. Maybe she needs to smoke some marijuana and chill out.

This article is a piece of shit. I can't believe the first few responses are all, "Great article!"

The thing is, most people don't have the luxury of being locked up for a few days only when it comes to felony drug offenses, even when it's just mere possession of someone who has a documented problem/addiction with drugs. If the punishment for low, low level non-violence drug offenses was limited to just a few days of incarceration, things wouldn't be as incredibly fucked up as they are today. But with mandatory minimums and sentencing enhancements, this is just not the case. When someone would be locked up for a number of months tops in other countries for non-violence possession drug crimes, in America that can easily result in a sentence that number into the years.

I'm glad you didn't have to experience this pmoseman, but you experience is the exception, not the rule.

The thing is, most people don't have the luxury of being locked up for a few days only when it comes to felony drug offenses, even when it's just mere possession of someone who has a documented problem/addiction with drugs. If the punishment for low, low level non-violence drug offenses was limited to just a few days of incarceration, things wouldn't be as incredibly fucked up as they are today. But with mandatory minimums and sentencing enhancements, this is just not the case. When someone would be locked up for a number of months tops in other countries for non-violence possession drug crimes, in America that can easily result in a sentence that number into the years.

I'm glad you didn't have to experience this pmoseman, but you experience is the exception, not the rule.
What I experienced was the rules, of the american justice system, which you seem to be unaware of.
Facing felony drug possession charges many people are released within a day and after being convicted only receive probation. If they do get sent to prison many will commonly serve less than a year; drug possession may only be part of what they were charged with.
Mandatory minimums are for trafficking.
http://www.bjs.gov/content/dcf/ptrpa.cfm
http://famm.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Chart-All-Fed-MMs-NW.pdf

“This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and others.”

“You smoke a joint and you’re likely to kill your brother.”

“Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality and death.”

“Reefer makes darkies think they’re as good as white men”

“Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind.”
-Harry Anslinger, 1st Commissioner of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics, United States of Amerikkka

"The toxic effect produced by the active narcotic principle of Cannabis
sativa, hemp, or marijuana,the report states appear to be exclusively to the higher nerve centers. The drug produces first an
exhaltation with a feeling of well being, a happy, jovial mood,
usually; an increased feeling of physical strength and power, and a
general euphoria is experienced. Accompanying this exaltation is a
stimulation of the imagination followed by a more or less delirious
state characterized by vivid kaleidoscopic visions, sometimes of a
pleasing sensual kind, but occasionally of a gruesome nature.
Accompanying this delirious state is a remarkable loss in spatial and
time relations; persons and things in the environment look small;
time is indeterminable; seconds seem like minutes and hours like
days."

"Those who are accustomed to habitual use of the drug are said
eventually to develop a delirious rage after its administration
during which they are temporarily, at least, irresponsible and prone
to commit violent crimes. The prolonged use of this narcotic is said
to produce mental deterioration."

http://www.hempology.org/ALL HISTORY ARTICLES.HTML/1961; ANSLINGER MURDERERS.html

seems legit

Last edited:
I talked to a few people and figured out that I wanted to stay far far away from being on the bad side of the legal system.
I didn't like the system before entering and liked it even less after leaving.
I can not know if the way I changed was because of that system, you would need a crystal ball, but I can say that some of how I changed for the better is because of the money they take from you.
Other unfair things in life have hurt me 1000x worse.

I found that my time in county jail was a lot fairer compared to what I had to put up with in prison, and not because of the difference in the amount of time spent locked up in either place, but rather... I felt I was treated as a human being with rights, which were respected. Unfortunately, it was a stark contrast after I was shipped off to the slammer. And the same was allegedly true according to several inmates whom I keep in touch with.

What I experienced was the rules, of the american justice system, which you seem to be unaware of.

Could it be that what you seemed to experience was a few nights in a county or city jail, and not a prolonged stint in a state or federal "pound me in the ass" prison? And you drew your conclusions about state and federal, public and private prisons from that experience?

And I'm fairly confident that TPD is aware of the American [in]justice system.

Facing felony drug possession charges many people are released within a day and after being convicted only receive probation. If they do get sent to prison many will commonly serve less than a year; drug possession may only be part of what they were charged with.

Mandatory minimums may have been intended for the "big fish" by the man responsible for its inception (which he regrets terribly now), however, there has been countless incidents where people who simply used and didn't sell drugs were caught with an amount which met the criteria required for "trafficking amounts" and were sentenced to decades in prison (and are still rotting away there). This particularly affected whomever was caught with crack cocaine due its sentencing disparity.

Here are some "outrageous" examples of this law being used against people whom it was never intended for (again, it was created for the so-called "big fish" according to... I forget his name - let me look it up...): http://www.businessinsider.com/10-most-outrageous-mandatory-minimum-2013-4?op=1

Edit - Okay, I'm 99.9% sure that Eric Sterling is the man who wrote the first drug-related mandatory minimums laws (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Please give him less than 3 minutes of your time and attention by watching what he's got to say now (well, approximately 3 years ago) about the war on drugs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvhtlqyKD-A

Last edited:
Mandatory minimums may have been intended for the "big fish" by the man responsible for its inception

Over a couple of grams of coke ends up being a big fish as we all know.. so what a single person can consume easily in a day or so turns into possession with the intent to distribute.. Then the real system kicks in.. your a user if you turn and a dealer if you don't.. either way you end up getting tagged with a record.. cheap labor and all.. and the retards claim they don't know why so many people "reoffend".. well if a person gets no second chance WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK GOING TO HAPPEN.. its a fucking scam.. endless prison population to make money off, money that the goods taxpayer shells out.. "rehabilitation" and reinsertion into society in the US is a fuking tradgedy.

In the criminal justice system, there are two sorts of rules: The de jure regulations, those written down on paper, the rules and shit they're supposed to abide by. Then there is another set of rules, the de facto regulations, those not written down on paper, the rules and shit people actually end up having to live by and experience.

http://www.bjs.gov/content/dcf/ptrpa.cfm
http://famm.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Chart-All-Fed-MMs-NW.pdf

Although many people are jailed for short period of time, and they are the majority, it is COMPLETELY up to the DA when it comes to applying mandatory minimums. And yes, mandatory minimums do apply too low level drug offenses like felony posession, even if they have a documented history of addition and whatnot. It's still up to the DA ultimately whether to envoke the mandatory minimum that would require, say, someone spend a year in prison for being caught with 0.01g of heroin.

And why it comes to who long it takes to be a released. You aren't released until you make bail. If you can't, you're not released until you're arraignment (and/or sentence served). Or, if you're arrested on a Friday or a Holiday, you have to wait in jail until your arrangement if you can't make bail - that means sitting in jail for three, four, five days, even if the charged against you will eventually be dropped.

Sorry to have to tell ya, but most people sent to prison are sent there simply because they've been charged with felony possession. And did you know how the police the DA love charging people for dealing when in fact they're users who get caught giving or selling to friends, without any inclination toward making any kind of money. Most users are dealers, at least in the language in of the law, even if they don't benefit in any ways from selling or whatever. They just "sell" to support their habit, or more commonly are part of a group that pools their resources to get a better deal when it comes to getting their dope.

You've got way too much faith in the criminal justice system buddy.

Last edited by a moderator: