View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

5-MeO-DMT and other simple tryptamines Cross-Tolerance

The Hypnotist

Bluelighter
I would like to know how much cross-tolerance has 5-MeO-DMT, if any. I read in PsychonautWiki that "5-MeO-DMT does not have a cross-tolerance with other psychedelics, meaning that after the consumption of 5-MeO-DMT psychedelics will not have a reduced effect".
A friend that had an experience with Bufo Alvarius hours before of an Ayahuasca ceremony thought the 5-MeO-DMT didn't interfere with it and thought to have had full effects from both.

So I went on searching and the only thing I could find was an old post from Solipsis (who else?) where he was refering to a study where it was mentioned that 5-MeO-DMT has 9 times more afinity for the 5-HT1A receptor. So that kind of will explain it.

My question is if there is not a bit of tolerance as it has some activity in the 5-HT2A.

And I would like to know too if other single tryptamines are producing less cross-tolerance than more complex psyquedelics. And how long are the estimated wait time for reseting tolerance. I heard people saying to have been smoking DMT during experiences with other psychedelics, so maybe it doesn't affect it...My guts tell me that the shorter acting the less tolerance they will produce...but I might think that just because of DOC strong cross-tolerance IME.

Last edited:
Since the effects of 5-MeO-DMT are much more 5-HT1A based than most psychedelics, I image it will not reduce the effects of other psychedelics a lot, but it might change the character away from 5-HT1A for a short while. I noticed that, for me, 5-MeO-DMT does require much higher dosages if you don't get your blast off dose in in a short period of time, but this probably does not last very long.

Last edited:
DMT appears to be relatively special in how it activates the 5HT2A receptor and seemingly avoids the normal amounts of tolerance effects because of it, I am not sure where the source is for that but it may very well apply to 5-MeO-DMT too even if that is more selective for 1A.
This mean mean something to tolerance development and thus also cross-tolerance.

Ya, I did a bit more of research and starting to doubt if which receptor they are more selective to has much impact into tolerance development.
DMT, MET, DPT and 5-MeO-DMT seem to be the less prone to cause tolerance. While DET, DIPT and MIPT are more traditional in terms of tolerance.

I don't understand why is that but I know nothing about pharmacodynamics. I guess I just should remember whenever I want to use a psychedelic on top of another I know which ones to go for.

Since the effects of 5-MeO-DMT are much more 5-HTP1A based than most psychedelics, I image it will not reduce the effects of other psychedelics a lot, but it might change the character away from 5-HTP1A for a short while. I noticed that, for me, 5-MeO-DMT does require much higher dosages if you don't get your blast off dose in in a short period of time, but this probably does not last very long.

5-htp1a receptor? Does even a metablization product like 5-htp already have its own receptors? ;)

It's really kind of another league: the hardly psychedelic but energized spiritual experiences: pretty 5-MeO tryptaminey... so there can be limited cross-tolerance to real 5HT2A psychedelics...
And then the DMT type effect...

there may really be exceptions there yes.

OTOH, summer 2011 I was using a gram of DMT every couple days. I developed a severe tolerance to DMT, and a cross tolerance to other psychedelics. 700mg of mescaline during this time only gave me mild ++ effects.

Did not try 5-MeO-DMT once during this period so no idea about tolerance with that compound.

DMT did not reduce the severity of suboxone WD (the reason I was using so much) but certainly was an interesting way to distract myself from the misery. WIsh I hadn't waited two years to try ibogaine, what a fork in the road it could have been.

DMT appears to be relatively special in how it activates the 5HT2A receptor and seemingly avoids the normal amounts of tolerance effects because of it, I am not sure where the source is for that but it may very well apply to 5-MeO-DMT too even if that is more selective for 1A.
This mean mean something to tolerance development and thus also cross-tolerance.

5-htp1a receptor? Does even a metablization product like 5-htp already have its own receptors? ;)

Yes man, don't you know? That's how the machine elves manifest themselves! =D