Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

5-htp therapeutic

Montay

Bluelighter
Hey guys my girlfriend is thinking of getting on 5-htp to help with depression as an alternative to anti depressants anmd to help with sleep after i told her about it. I know you guys arent doctors but i was curious as to what a good dose would be for her to start off with per day and how long she should stick to it between breaks? She hates going to doctors and probably wont if i asked her to.

Thanks guys

I used it solely as a treatment for the comedown, but after my father experienced bouts of depression, I advised he try some 5-HTP at 120mg dose per day (my pills were 120 each) and he found after about 72 hours that he could sleep for longer and over time has had much less anxiety.

I highly recommend 5-HTP for those who have not had any luck with prescription anti-depressants in Australia. Be careful when using with illicit drugs, however. It is my understanding that one can develop serotonin syndrome from incorrect use of 5-HTP. It would not hurt to mention this to her doctor.

I know 2 people who have found 5-HTP to be effective as an antidepressant, although if she is already taking an antidepressant, I'd strongly advise talking to her GP before changing medication.

5-Htp is really good stuff when used correctly (most of it now comes from the Griffonia Seed which is a very safe source as opposed to how it used to be extracted)

It can make people feel a little groggy the next morning and also have very vivid dreams. No doubt in my mind it is much more effective for the long term treatment of depression (having been on prescription SSRI's for 2 years a few years ago and I couldn't warn anyone more strongly against ever going onto these horrible drugs personally) then prescription anti-depressents.
However to be really effective they should also be used in conjunction with around 2-3grams of Omega 3 fish oil daily and a good exercise regime with counseling or a change of lifestyle important to try and combat depression.
(your brain is 80% fatty acids and our bodies don't make omega 3's and with modern diets throwing our Omega 3 : Omega 6 Ratios out of whack it is important to try to get it back in balance to start absorbing enough essential omega 3 fats as possible [Omega 6 fats when consumed in too high amounts , think vegetable oils etc processed foods, stops the absorbtion of Omega 3's which are essential for normal, joint heart, eye and brain health])

By it from overseas though ... you get much bigger doses at a fraction of the cost compared with here.

Nah she has stopped taking them since they dont seem to work for her but ill talk to her about it and tell her the risks and try and convince her to speak to a gp thanks heaps guys

also how long could she take it for before needing a break?

Chemi: Did he jsut take 1 pill a day? Would there be a difference in say just buying higher dose ones and having 1 a day or would it be better to buy say 30mg or 50mg and spread it out over a day. Shes a tiny girl so i dont think she should go over 150mg a day

Last edited:
Would a doctor even prescribe 5htp seeing as it's like illegal to be sold in Australian stores?

Without getting into sourcing....5HTP is readily (and legally) available in Australia. I mostly use it for the treatment of comedowns (amazing stuff).

Sure legally? I have always been under the impression that it's prohibited from being sold in shops...although my local health food place does actually sell them when you specifically ask for it

You can legally buy it OTC in Queensland, in other states you will have to order from overseas.

You can legally buy it OTC in Queensland, in other states you will have to order from overseas.

in my situation i had to have an initial consultation with the naturopath from the store i bought them from. in this case she had the determining factor in whether i was suitable for using or not. i had no troubles and wouldn't expect anyone too really. it's one of the easier supplments to acquire

it was an hours consultation as well, much like a psychiatrist consultation ime.

this is the product i purchased

Proxan is a 5htp capsule which includes this
100mg 5-Hydroxy-tryptophan
100mg S-adenosyl methionine
100mg dl-Phenylalanine
50mg potassium phosphate (monobasic)

in my situation i had to have an initial consultation with the naturopath from the store i bought them from. in this case she had the determining factor in whether i was suitable for using or not. i had no troubles and wouldn't expect anyone too really. it's one of the easier supplments to acquire

it was an hours consultation as well, much like a psychiatrist consultation ime.

That was the story when I was in QLD too.

Nah she has stopped taking them since they dont seem to work for her but ill talk to her about it and tell her the risks and try and convince her to speak to a gp thanks heaps guys

also how long could she take it for before needing a break?

Chemi: Did he jsut take 1 pill a day? Would there be a difference in say just buying higher dose ones and having 1 a day or would it be better to buy say 30mg or 50mg and spread it out over a day. Shes a tiny girl so i dont think she should go over 150mg a day

5-HTP is generally supposed to be taken before bed, at least 3 hours after the last meal. I don't think it really matters if she spreads it or consumes all at once, but I would say 100-120 would be fine. The pills generally come in 100 or 120, IME.

I didn't know it was available OTC in QLD. I'm in NSW so I had to import it from our lovely, chilly neighbours, perhaps you could do the same.

I always just used to have 100 mgs the day after pills when I did them...tried using it for sleep a few times taking 100 mg about 3 - 4 hours before bed and i started having this shithouse depressed for no reason mood swings that would last up to a few days at a time...

Not too sure on using it for anything other than replenishing seratonin after pills.

5-HTP is generally supposed to be taken before bed, at least 3 hours after the last meal. I don't think it really matters if she spreads it or consumes all at once, but I would say 100-120 would be fine. The pills generally come in 100 or 120, IME.

I didn't know it was available OTC in QLD. I'm in NSW so I had to import it from our lovely, chilly neighbours, perhaps you could do the same.

it's still the same process as going to a psych for the first appointment and they determine whether you need it or not. it's not exactly small change either.

i still haven't started but am seeing my PM doc tomorrow so will have right pain meds.

my naturopath advised me to take it in the morning with a glass of orange juice. because 5htp is an amino acid, the juice helps it breakdown and absorb. the reason i'm taking it through the day is for anxiety and depression. i use alternative sleeping methods

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I found it significantly cheaper to order it in from overseas rather than buying it in QLD (I tried proxan and another brand whose name eludes me). I only found one pharmacy in Brisbane that would sell it to me anyway.

Some interesting reading for anyone taking this over a long period of time: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=287832

I'd like to reiterate you should not take this at the same time as other antidepressants just to be safe. It gave me pretty vivid dreams but didn't really have any other negative side effects.

^thats the way i'll be going next time. it was sort of a spur of the moment buy plus i wanted to sit down and have the consult with the naturopath about certain things

belarki said:
I'd like to reiterate you should not take this at the same time as other antidepressants just to be safe. It gave me pretty vivid dreams but didn't really have any other negative side effects.

second that, as of today i'mm off tramadol(snri actions) again so i'll be able to start it a couple days when i think the tram has fully flushed out

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info leftwing, I'll keep the amino acid advice in mind.

How long do you find the "effects" last? Would taking it in the morning decrease its effectivness as a sleeping aid? By how much?

Maybe you could ask your naturopath? =)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info leftwing, I'll keep the amino acid advice in mind.

How long do you find the "effects" last? Would taking it in the morning decrease its effectivness as a sleeping aid? By how much?

Maybe you could ask your naturopath? =)

I find the best time to dose as a sleeping aid (without feeling too lethargic in the morning personally is around 2 hours before heading to bed.
If you have low serotonin levels taken in the morning may still help give you a more relaxed sleep (although unlikely). However if you must take it in the morning just ensure you eat something like turkey or anything that is a rich source of Trytophan (of which 5-HTP is an intermediate) at night around 1-2 hours before sleep.

I also find this substance is best used with a 2-3 weeks on and 1 off schedule or even alternating days. My theory is that it is important to let your body naturally create serotonin and also to give your liver and heart (which can be damaged from excess serotonin) a rest from possible elevated serotonin levels which are caused by the early conversion of 5-HTP before it reaches your brain.

That schedule is something I simply think helps me get more from the 5-HTP ... There is no scientific proof to say a break is needed or actually works in reducing these problems

Last edited:
I would also recommend reading some books on dream states and sleep, which (I know of a couple although can't remember the titles... I will try to find them) tell you which foods are best eaten at which times of the day to ensure the best possible sleeps with the correct amounts of each cycle (type) of sleep.

Also if it is your thing they go on to help you become adept at the art of lucid dreaming ... which can be a very powerful thing ...the correct type of sleep and dreams themselves can often help sort problems and issues arising from day to day living ... its another tool in the path to a better life after suffering anxiety/depression type illness (IMO) ...

I believe that no single thing will cure you of these problems but when used in a synergistic combination of lifestyle changes, chemical additions, diet changes and also spiritual changes (not in a religious sense more a positive living sense) ... these illnesses can be banished and managed for the rest of your life without the ongoing needs of medicines of dubious effect/side effects/ or long term chemical changes to the brain.