Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television 30 Rock

I don't think it's strange. I'm pretty sure everyone's in love with Alec Baldwin and would gladly blow him. =D

Admit it MP! You'd gobble up Alec's brass balls in a second. After all, coffee's for closers. ;)

Julianne Moore's accent in 30 Rock makes me want to vomit into my eyeballs. What's with the female celebrity cameos overdoing accents in that show? Salma Hayek wasn't as bad but she was still pretty fucking irritating. I'm going to stop watching if Moore's character stays.

I love Moore's overdone accent. I'm pretty sure they hammed it up so badly on purpose and I guess I find humor in that.

If they did it on purpose, I don't get it anyway. Intentionally bad accents aren't that funny. It's the sort of thing you expect from a Pink Panther film - not 30 Rock. Her over-acting totally destroys the reality of the show for me. Maybe it'd be funny in a different context, but it doesn't suit this show IMO.

i think we just don't get the humour and nuances of that particular accent

Come on they are just hamming up the whole Boston thing. Three guys named Sean? The whole show is supposed to be absurd. :p

Pretty decent season so far.

Wasn't Steve Martin just 'hamming up the whole France thing' in the Pink Panther movies?

Yes, the whole show is absurd - but it's usually absurd in a somewhat interesting/clever way. Having a character heavily exaggerate an accent just isn't good comedy IMO.

i think we just don't get the humour and nuances of that particular accent

Nuances? Fuck that, she's a terrible character.

what i'm saying is that she didn't sit right with me neither, but comparing the accent to pink panther french is not being fair. everyone knows what a french stereotype is, but not everyone knows what steretypes a bostonite.

tbh, all i know of the place is the celtics, ray allen and larry bird.

Wasn't Steve Martin just 'hamming up the whole France thing' in the Pink Panther movies?

Yes, the whole show is absurd - but it's usually absurd in a somewhat interesting/clever way. Having a character heavily exaggerate an accent just isn't good comedy IMO.

Nuances? Fuck that, she's a terrible character.

*shrug* The romances on the show haven't really ever been its strong point. Lots of other (funnier) things generally tend to be happening at the same time. And, besides, without your aforementioned example of Selma Hayek we wouldn't have gotten el Generalissimo! ;)

comparing the accent to pink panther french is not being fair.

I really don't see the difference.

everyone knows what a french stereotype is, but not everyone knows what steretypes a bostonite.

meh... I've been to Boston many times and I still didn't think it was funny or clever.

It's not as if Boston is some weird place on the other side of the planet that nobody knows about.

'Cheers' was set in Boston!

The romances on the show haven't really ever been its strong point.

True. Though I thought Celeste Cunningham worked pretty well.

And, besides, without your aforementioned example of Selma Hayek we wouldn't have gotten el Generalissimo!

:)

For what it's worth I have some friends from Boston (still live there too) who thought it was hilarious. The romances are usually only good for a few jokes and have been somewhat cringe-inducing since the start of the show. The best stuff usually revolves around Donaghy, the writers, or whatever happens to be coming out of Tracey Jordan's mouth at the time. I'm not sure they'll ever touch the brilliance of seasons 1 and 2, but they've done a pretty solid job in season 3 and 4 overall--just a few more duds here and there.

Really? I thought it was pretty weak. Definitely not as many gems as there used to be but I enjoyed the "Reaganing" episode quite a bit.