• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos 3 month Xanax

Alright. Let's keep it down to a dull roar! :ROFLMAO:

I realize we're all different. But the OP hasn't been abusing them. And that's not a high dose at all. So there's no reason to panic.

No offense but sometimes these tapering horror stories concern me i.e. people can read them and be so terrified that they'll keep using simply in order to avoid the withdrawal symptoms.

And I speak as someone who tapered off of 12mg per day some many years ago (and just before said taper started ended up running out of a prescription and had to wait two days to renew) (point being: I know what cold turkey withdrawal feels like only too well). Also speak as someone who has gone to great lengths since then, having become fascinated with benzodiazepines and a-drugs and their pharmacological action etc., to research them in depth.

The OP is probably going to feel SOMETHING no doubt. But I doubt it's going to be life threatening or earth shattering.

I'm not a fan of substitution i.e. I personally believe that there is the potential for creating another problem where there wasn't one.

SOME alcohol does actually help with Xanax (Alprazolam) withdrawal (emphasis on the word "SOME" i.e. not to be construed as an excuse to get fuck drunk). This being said: alcohol can in and of itself exacerbate depression. If the OP isn't a drinker: then no point in starting to use alcohol.

Unfortunately though: Xanax (Alprazolam) is a bitch because of its short half life and withdrawal can be unpredictable. In my experience though: take it down by 0.25mg per week (just cut the things up). And don't be afraid, if withdrawal comes on, to stagger your dose during the day. It can become difficult if you've been taking them at night for sleep and at a set time every night i.e. with every successive day the withdrawals will come on a bit earlier. But it takes about three days to stabilize and then you're good to go for the next week and next taper.

What you don't want to end up with is a never ending cycle i.e. cold turkey, cannot handle the withdrawal symptoms, and then right back on. Rather taper and don't make it uncomfortable or harder than it needs to be.

Unfortunately: benzodiazepines don't cure anything. Whatever the underlying reasons for taking them in the first place will be still be there. Unless it was due to life circumstances and said life circumstances have improved i.e. they've gotten you through a difficult period or over that hurdle and served their purpose.

And be careful of the z-drugs i.e. Ambien (Zolpidem) and Zopiclone. More and more I'm seeing people where Zopiclone, in particular, is having severe negative effects e.g. exacerbating depression and in some cases causing suicidal ideation (and it's specifically stated for Zopiclone). Also bear in mind: Ambien (Zolpidem) is to be taken ONCE IN BED and has a very short half life (three hours). The idea being that you fall asleep and your body takes over from there (unlike Zopiclone which knocks you out for the night but, arguably, isn't real sleep i.e. usually a hang over the next day and that lasts for at least an hour) (highly dosage dependent). Ambien (Zolpidem) if not used correctly as stated can, in some individuals, actually have the opposite effect i.e. keep you awake and some people then go on to do very strange things and don't remember the next day.

One last piece of advice: work out, up front, what's needed to taper completely off and toss the rest. As long as they're handy: it's too easy to go putting your hand right back in the cookie jar. This is probably the hardest part of all believe it or not. This and that very last week of 0.25mg (from a psychological perspective only i.e. knowing full well that your taper is coming to an end and no more comfort or safety blanket).

Last edited:
And be careful of the z-drugs i.e. Ambien (Zolpidem) and Zopiclone. More and more I'm seeing people where Zopiclone, in particular, is having severe negative effects e.g. exacerbating depression and in some cases causing suicidal ideation

Yes that's why I stopped zopiclone 3 or 4 weeks ago and started on benzos again

Yes that's why I stopped zopiclone 3 or 4 weeks ago and started on benzos again
That is evil shit in some for sure. Seen more than one post and thread around these parts of late on this very issue. For damn sure and if they have that effect: benzodiazepines are by far the better option (or the lesser of two evils anyway).

That is evil shit in some for sure. Seen more than one post and thread around these parts of late on this very issue. For damn sure and if they have that effect: benzodiazepines are by far the better option (or the lesser of two evils anyway)

I told my doctor to take the 14 zopiclone I get a month off my repeat and flushed 29 zopiclone pills I bought online because I was that fucking depressed, for years I used to occasionally Google "can zopiclone make you depressed the next day" but as my tolerence built and took more it got to the stage I'd had enough as was depressed for weeks, I always called them spawns of satan yet still took them as didn't want my benzo habit back, they are a bitch to stop too hence why I'm on benzos and since stopping the zopiclone I've not been able to eat properly and I was being sick and felt sick for 3 weeks on antisickness pols, that's stopped now but still no appetite and feel weak

2 weeks is too fast to taper off after 3 months of use if you've hit neurological dependency. You'd be best switching to Valium and tapering down. Find a dosage that is tolerable but not noticeably sedating (likely somewhere between 5-10mgs), then gradually taper down over 2-3 months, jumping off at no higher than 0.5mgs. At worst, you'll avoid the most severe withdrawal symptoms. At best, you'll avoid withdrawal symptoms altogether.

NMDA receptor antagonists can also help with the withdrawal symptoms by limiting the effects of Glutamate, reducing overall neural excitability, without directly impacting the benzodiazepine receptor sites.

(point being: I know what cold turkey withdrawal feels like only too well).
You know what it feels like for you and you alone. I've seen people pop Valium daily in the 4 digits (xxxxmgs) for a long time, then rapidly taper off without any major implications. I've also witnessed those taking Valium daily in the single digits (xmgs) for a few weeks as instructed by their healthcare provider, only to end up in hospital after a series of tonic clonic seizures and psychosis within 2 weeks of stopping. It can vary from person to person by significant degrees.

I told my doctor to take the 14 zopiclone I get a month off my repeat and flushed 29 zopiclone pills I bought online because I was that fucking depressed, for years I used to occasionally Google "can zopiclone make you depressed the next day" but as my tolerence built and took more it got to the stage I'd had enough as was depressed for weeks, I always called them spawns of satan yet still took them as didn't want my benzo habit back, they are a bitch to stop too hence why I'm on benzos and since stopping the zopiclone I've not been able to eat properly and I was being sick and felt sick for 3 weeks on antisickness pols, that's stopped now but still no appetite and feel weak
"Spawns of Satan"! :ROFLMAO: Good one.

And you can be fuck proud of yourself for tossing the stuff too i.e. that takes some guts and some doing especially if you're having sleeping problems (and which can debilitating in and of itself if it carries on for protracted periods of time).

Full disclosure: I too learned the hard way with this shit and not too long ago either. Had been taking 1 x 7.5mg Zopiclone at night since last year April. Then as tolerance built I was no longer sleeping through so got a prescription for 2 x 7.5mg. Started going south VERY fast. And it was DEFINITELY the Zopiclone. The very moment (as in the very next day) that I took it back down to 1 x 7.5mg the night before things were back to steady as she goes. Then took it down further to only half of 1 x 7.5mg at night and I swear it was like a veil had been instantly lifted and I'm not exaggerating either i.e. difference between night and day.

Doesn't seem to happen with everybody though. Although it must be happening in many cases if it's mandated to include the depression and suicide warnings. And as far as I know: it's scheduling status was changed in the USA and Eszopiclone (an isomer of Zopiclone) is preferred. Must have been a legit reason for doing that. But meh. I dunno about this shit. Could be dosage dependent I suppose i.e. cannot say as 1 x 7.5mg at night was having an adverse effect (other than making me fucking lazy and resulting in my not getting things done during the day) (but which is bad enough though let's face it).

Strangest thing I found with Zopiclone was that as tolerance built I was sleeping but awake (if that makes any sense).

No withdrawal at all though in my case. And I'm really sorry to hear about your not being able to eat or feeling sick. Cannot say as I suffered any adverse effects whatsoever i.e. even started sleeping through again not long after. And oddly enough and come to think about it: when I first started taking this shit my appetite increased somewhat drastically for at least a week or two (just saying i.e. wondering because now that you no longer take the shit you've got no appetite).

Last edited:
You know what it feels like for you and you alone.
Fair comment.

Well instead of my rehashing the entire thing here's a link to Professor Ashton's slow withdrawal schedule for the OP (using substitution). Although the maximum Xanax (Alprazolam) dosage detailed is 4mg per day (so could just halve everything).

Obviously I never followed it though i.e. took it down weekly in 0.25mg increments and that was that albeit that it seemed to take forever of course!

But yeah: I guess her method will probably will be the least uncomfortable and safest way for most. I mean: who am I to argue let's face it.

Read said manual with caution though! It can scare the living shit out of a person!

Put another way: I didn’t even know that I had a problem i.e. my little stint was a direct result of medical over prescription over a four year period. Try reading that manual when you’re already in full blown withdrawal and know/knew nothing at the time! :ROFLMAO: If you can focus of course!

We are not doctors and you have one.

You say you don't like the effects of the pill which is great! But if you start to feel overwhelmed with withdrawal then you can always chew one and let it melt under ya tongue.

Speak to ya doc and good luck. Seriously you haven't got a bad habit and will be fine ☺️

Problem is, many doctors don't know shit about what they're prescribing, how they work on a neurological level and the long lasting impact it can have on an individuals central nervous system.

They don't want to know either. Many of them are nothing more than legalized drug dealers for pharmaceutical companies. Their main priority isn't the safety of their patients, but their cut for each sale they successfully make.

You say you don't like the effects of the pill which is great! But if you start to feel overwhelmed with withdrawal then you can always chew one and let it melt under ya tongue.

Speak to ya doc and good luck. Seriously you haven't got a bad habit and will be fine ☺️
Probably sound advice. Depends on the doctor though. At least the OP has some knowledge of his/her own now.

Fact of the matter is that my doctor never warned me about these things and just kept upping the prescription. And for as sure as fuck I know more about these things than he did 14 years or so ago. And oddly enough another member has just posted on this exact same issue today i.e. she was also never told shit and been on a benzodiazepine for 20 years and also only found out the hard way only a few years ago so far as I can tell and is still sitting with shit today. Dunno. Maybe things have changed over the years.

I don't begrudge my experience though i.e. the dude was doing what he believed to be the right thing for me at the time. And if I'm honest with myself: I was the one going with my hands out for more as tolerance built (albeit that at the time I didn't know that was a thing).

There are, however, doctors today that are prescribing courses of anti-depressants concomitant with a course of benzodiazepines of the same duration. Tells me that not that much has changed. I wrote about this at length on another thread the other day. Trying to treat depression while at the same time prescribing something that could be the cause of the depression in the first place (and then deeming the depression to be treatment resistant because the anti-depressant doesn't appear to be working). In this scenario anyway and all other factors aside: something like Xanax (Alprazolam) is only supposed to be prescribed for a week or so as some anti-depressants interfere initially with sleep and a possible increase in anxiety at first.

And there's more than one thread floating around here, and not so old either, where a doctor has just shut the door and left the patient with no other option but to resort to the street. And in what other class of pharma. have we heard about that happening and the disastrous fallout!

Anyway. As somebody else has noted already on this thread: everyone's mileage (and doctor) will differ I guess.

Been awhile BL. Happy to report been clean from opiates since I last posted in March. But… I was prescribed 1mg Xanax a day for underlying anxiety. I know the drill with benzos and I feel I thread the needle too far at 3 months Using benzos that long. Gonna bail and just be pill free Before too much damage. Anyone have an idea how bad it will be? Im ready for the insomnia and anxiety. I’m gonna taper the next 2 weeks to soften the blow. Oh. Never been addicted or abused them before Just used them for sleep. Actually hate they way they make me feel. I know the deal with prottracted wd. Any help would be great. Oh I’ll do supplements but I’m done getting scripts from these “Doctors”.
its still gonna suck but I’d switch to Valium then jump off

Problem is, many doctors don't know shit about what they're prescribing, how they work on a neurological level and the long lasting impact it can have on an individuals central nervous system.

They don't want to know either. Many of them are nothing more than legalized drug dealers for pharmaceutical companies. Their main priority isn't the safety of their patients, but their cut for each sale they successfully make.
You beat me to it! :) Agreed. At very least on the first part anyway. And you seem to have knowledge that is above my pay grade i.e. on a neurological level.

And you're probably quite right on the last part too actually i.e. I've seen it to a degree. Always kinda figured that a lot of doctors will prescribe the latest new and promising pharma. as indicated (no pun intended) by the last medical sales rep. that had just popped by that morning and dropped off pamphlets and samples.

I'll probably get shot at dawn for saying this but there's a part of me that doesn't wonder if this should be a specialized field i.e. only psychiatrists can prescribe for long periods? I think it is that way in some countries though. Mind you. Rich coming from me given that I'm also currently tapering off of 2mg of Alprazolam per day (now down to 1.25mg for the week) i.e. also back on them since April of last year (fucking pandemic nearly did my head in). So I'd have been pretty pissed if I'd have had to pay a psychiatrist's bill for an Alprazolam prescription! Then again and seeing as I wouldn't have done that: could make an argument that I'd not have gotten back on them in the first place!

Anyway. I guess on that score I'm probably right where the OP is right now as luck would have it. And probably why my cavalier attitude towards this stuff i.e. been there before, got the t-shirt, and going through it now again. This time around I behaved myself though i.e. decided that once they'd served their purpose I'm out and no going back and asking for more of for an increase and bitching because they're not working anymore. Tried going down 0.5mg per week but that was a tad too ambitious. Withdrawal was bearable but no sense in making things more difficult than they needed to be really. And it's not like I don't have stock of this shit either so no rush either is my point. Also gotta admit that I do question, sometimes, if it's worth the trouble at this dosage though. They are certainly fit for purpose and cannot say as they're affecting anything i.e. mainly ensuring that I get to sleep really and nothing more. And certainly no adverse effects or hangovers like Zopiclone.

Must also admit: there's a part of me that wonders if it's the right thing to do when somebody has been on these things for like decades at low dose and has never abused them. There's been one or two threads around here also where people have been on some or the other legit benzodiazepine or z-drug for absolute decades and continues to use as prescribed and they're still fit for purpose and not having any adverse effect on their well being (well not that they're aware of anyway). I remember a thread from last year where somebody popped in and asked whether or not, after absolute decades, they should taper off a low dose. When asked: they themselves had no good reason and felt mainly under pressure to do so because of what they'd read somewhere or the other and nothing more.

Last edited:
Might help the anxiety, depression and sleep

You know what I learnt as a weed grower is that there's some unexplainable stuff that don't need one. There's no such thing as indica/sativa, is just a label. Is all about how healthy the seed is when it arrived at ur doorstep, but a death bubba might do well for WD's, back when I was having WD's weed is what kept me sane not the meds nor exercises because I wouldn't be able to do my first day even now i remember of detox exercise when I got up on that stationary bicycle

There's been one or two threads around here also where people have been on some or the other legit benzodiazepine or z-drug for absolute decades and continues to use as prescribed and they're still fit for purpose and not having any adverse effect on their well being (well not that they're aware of anyway).
Many people start off taking as little as 2mgs of Valium on a "need to use" basis. At first, they take it once every several days or so. After several years, they're taking it several times a day. People forget how things were several years ago. They either assume that their anxiety got worse naturally or due to circumstances, or that it was simply always as bad as it is now. They don't make the connection between the increase in their anxiety and the increase in their benzo usage. Because they would feel so much worse if they were to abruptly stop, they come to the conclusion that the benzo must therefore be working. They don't know that they're in tolerance and that their brain has become dependant on the drug. As long as taking the drug makes the tolerance symptoms more bearable, they're convinced that it's working.

The worst thing is, benzos were specifically designed to have this long term impact. They were sold to doctors and psychiatrists as the ultimate long term money making investment. They are handed out long term with dependency in mind. They want you to be hooked. It's in their own financial interests for you to be.

Ever wonder why every drug is a treatment, but never a cure? Because with cures, there would be no need for treatments. There would be no need to keep going back for more. They are designed very deliberately to serve as instant short term relief while making things so much worse in the long term. It's not some innocent mistake, it was planned from the very beginning.

and whenever i go for health related stuff, i go with Sweden, best medical system. My doc was swedish and he said to me, smoke weed am gonna prescribe you some medicinal weed not pills or anything.

Bloody hell @BenzoBrain^^ that sounds awful, and so scary, I'm glad you're getting better now though and staying off the drink it's worse than most drugs and it's legal, and your on a low amount of vallies is that's good as they're a fucker to come off ain't they, I'm glad I hate drink as I'd probably try and use it for the anxiety too

Keep it up and well done

Update. I finally went through with it. I tapered to .5mg every 18hrs or so. Just enough to be uncomfortable but not crazy for a week. Used a ton of L theanine, kava, camomile tea, and not gonna lie, a lot of NyQuil. Then stopped, cold after a week. Wasn’t terrible. Some of the symptoms were there. Anxiety was huge. The electric vibrations in my head, teeth and neck were bad. Insomnia of course. Depersonalization and fits of rage. Awful nightmares, fake awful smells. Unfortunately I cheated myself. As a recovering opioid addict I used some oxy on the 1st and 2nd day of cold And then 2 days of some tramadol. @400mg. I only had enough to make sure I didn’t restart that monkey And turn off my racing thoughts. Then I walked away from those. But they did help. Made sure I didn’t have any money. Gave all my finacials to my wife. I did use a little booze. Nothing crazy. Just spiking my tea to stay calm. But I stayed mindful, meditation staying out of my head. FEAR. FALSE INFORMATION APPEARS REAL. I just kept reminding myself that. Stayed busy. But it was tough getting out of the house. Avoided caffeine. After a week cold, I woke up after sleeping 11hrs! And felt great. No symptons today. Gave myself a piss test and was totally clean today. I really hope this just isn’t a window in the ocean of waves. I feel lucky I got off easy. Or am i lying to myself that I’m over it? Maybe I wasn’t using as frequently as I thought. Cause I did have some days I didn’t use benzos. Or I go 4 days using ambien. Didn’t have benzo belly like I did after a short 3 week run I had a ways back. Maybe the Xanax footballs I had were pressed and fakes? Yes, they were from a “friend”. I never had inter dose withdrawal or built a tolerance. 2 or 3mgs was my max on my worst days. I just felt unhuman if went above that. I can see the hell of benzos create and I know I never want to be there. I feel for all of you dealing with it. I guess I never had anxiety before this so I didn’t have something to be doubled up when I went back to normal. Just used them for sleep. I shouldnt endorse cutting corners if your clean. I hope this the last stop in the station with substances. I still feel like I need that carrot to get me thru life unfortunately. I proved I can do it and that I want to do it. I just hate having that mentality. I’m never going back to using stuff every Day. Just can’t. i feel like lying to myself saying you can still use something once and awhile works, but it’s playing with fire. I just never got into benzos or booze or stims. Sure they’re fun here and there but no appeal. Just opioids are my vice. One day I’ll be relieved of the obsession. Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
CBD won't protect you from all benzo withdrawal symptoms.

I'm also in the UK..
Might help the anxiety, depression and sleep
Do you guys think that it would help mitigate or prevent seizures from benzo withdrawal?

I’ve heard of children who used To have 100+ seizure a day, and they started taking hig doses of cbd/thc edibles and it really helped, I just don’t know if that necessarily applies to benzo withdrawal seizures