• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

3-Methylmethamphetamine (3-Me-MA)

arschloch

Greenlighter
it is increasingly found on the market. has anyone already had experience with it. what is the dose?
please do not mistake it with 3-Methoxymethamphetamine! unfortunately abbreviated and sold as 3-mma 🤦‍♂️
thanks

Last edited:
Could also be called 3,N-dimethyl-AMP, possibly less ambiguous. Have nothing firsthand to say but have heard rumors of it and at least some people liked it. Not much is known about it so obviously tread carefully. As to toxicity I obviously can't say anything concrete although in mice 4-MMA/4,N-dimethyl-AMP was suspected of actually being less toxic than MA, but whether this transfers over is anyone's guess, so too whether the effects are reminiscent of 3-MMC/mephedrone/4,N-dimethyl-AMP/whatever you want to compare it to. Like anything new there are serious risks and you're being a guinea pig. People should be aware BTW that it is a positional isomer of not just one but several schedule I controlled substances in the US (and probably elsewhere) i.e. EtAMP and dimethyl-AMP, possibly more. This means that in the US at least and in countries with drug laws with similar wording it is "born illegal," not ambiguously illegal as in the Analog Act, but straight up, unambigously throw-your-ass-in-prison illegal.

Last edited:
Could also be called 3,N-dimethyl-AMP, possibly less ambiguous. Have nothing firsthand to say but have heard rumors of it and at least some people liked it. Not much is known about it so obviously tread carefully. As to toxicity I obviously can't say anything concrete although in mice 4-MMA/4,N-dimethyl-AMP was suspected of actually being less toxic than MA, but whether this transfers over is anyone's guess, so too whether the effects are reminiscent of 3-MMC/mephedrone/4,N-dimethyl-AMP/whatever you want to compare it to. Like anything new there are serious risks and you're being a guinea pig. People should be aware BTW that it is a positional isomer of not just one but several schedule I controlled substances in the US (and probably elsewhere) i.e. EtAMP and dimethyl-AMP, possibly more. This means that in the US at least and in countries with drug laws with similar wording it is "born illegal," not ambiguously illegal as in the Analog Act, but straight up, unambigously throw-your-ass-in-prison illegal.

So pretty sure this would still be different from dimethylmethamphetamine as the methyls seem to be in different areas when I look at the molecules. I could be wrong though..

-GC

So pretty sure this would still be different from dimethylmethamphetamine as the methyls seem to be in different areas when I look at the molecules. I could be wrong though..

-GC
I was referring to dimethylamphetamine, not dimethylmethamphetamine. Without qualification dimethylamphetamine usually refers to N,N-dimethyl-AMP, but the drug being discussed here is 3-methyl-MA which I am calling 3,N-dimethyl-AMP for the sake of discussion because it is less ambiguous* but I'm referring to the same drug that is called 3-methyl-MA. (Sorry this is getting confusing. I want to avoid confusion, as OP does, with 3-MeO-MA or various other things.) But N,N-dimethyl-AMP a/k/a N-methyl-AMP and 3,N-dimethyl-AMP a/k/a 3-methyl-MA have the same functional groups just rearranged, and this is the interesting part, that makes them equally illegal, schedule I, because ethyl-AMP and N,N-dimethyl-AMP are (and really only one of those had to be)—the Controlled Substances Act explicitly bans all salts, isomers, and in some cases esters, of controlled substances. This is a relatively lesser known feature of the law (see here) but actually one BLers should keep in mind as it makes quite a few "research chemicals" out and out controlled substances not just analogs.

(*if a bit unwieldy...3NDMA? 3NMA? 3NM?)

Last edited:
(Sorry this is getting confusing. I want to avoid confusion, as OP does, with 3-MeO-MA or various other things.)
exactly... i was for example reading TR's for "4-Methoxymethamphetamine" seeing at the end that they were talking / commenting about 4-Methoxyamphetamine (PMA). Or even about 4-Methylmethamphetamine and people thought was PMMA.
I don't want to be too pessimistic, but unfortunately i fear a repetition of confusion in the near future for the 3-Me-Ma. hopefully a vendor wrote it in big letters not to confuse it with 3-Methoxymethamphetamine.

Yea this same issue comes up every time someone wants to discuss the 4-MethylMethamphetamine too. Almost always gets confusing but I guess for RC users if they’re familiar with 3-MMC that’s essentially the cathinone version of this drug correct?

From my reading on 4-MMA it seems to be a very worthwhile drug during the experience, a shorter acting empathogenic high somewhat similar to Meph but I’ve also read lots of reports that seem to indicate serotonin neurotoxicity similar to meph too.

Then there are the deaths associated with cut batches of speed that had 4-MMA in them. If you do try this substance I’d be careful as with all the other close analogs.

-GC

Then there are the deaths associated with cut batches of speed that had 4-MMA in them.
do you have a source for that? i remember a few years back, that the media was also responsable for a lot of confusion regarding deaths from mdma-pills cutted with "4-MethylMethamphetamine", but in reality was PMMA (4-Methoxymethylamphetamin).

Here ya are :)

Sounds like it was a common cut in certain parts of the E.U. for a little bit. Someone random chemist probably whipped up a fair amount.

-GC

^--That's 4-Me-AMP.
3-Methyl-Methamphetamine goes by the code name: GREEN, as in the color or the R.E.M. album. 3-MeO-MA is a dud. But judging by my affinity for 3-Me-MethCathinone, I expect you will have a verde good time. HOWEVER, 4-Me-AMP and its N-methyl homologue, while reportedly very intoxicating, led to a spate of suicides in Russia. So play at your own risk.

^--That's 4-Me-AMP.
3-Methyl-Methamphetamine goes by the code name: GREEN, as in the color or the R.E.M. album. 3-MeO-MA is a dud. But judging by my affinity for 3-Me-MethCathinone, I expect you will have a verde good time. HOWEVER, 4-Me-AMP and its N-methyl homologue, while reportedly very intoxicating, led to a spate of suicides in Russia. So play at your own risk.

He was asking on a source regarding 4-MMA cut into speed, I was simply providing that. Your right though I’m not sure I’d play with either.

-GC

I do remember the 4-methylamphetamine being sold as speed in europe. I believe this was due to precursor availability more than anything else.
Did hear about it having possibly serotonin depleting depression and related effects.

I am interested in knowing more about 3-MeMA.

Trip reports

first of all, i’m sorry not to be able to give accurate weight specifications. i’m for work reason in a different country and didn’t want to travel with a mg-scale on me.

insufflation 1
1 hour after my allergy test with this substance, i prepared a line of around 2 cm (~0.8 inches) and snorted. there is a burning sensation in the nose but passes pretty quickly.
i don’t feel any special rush or push. i was a bit tired and now i can say for sure that the tiredness is a thing of the past. about an hour in, i start to see a little blurry. i know this feeling from higher doses of mdma (>130mg on 70kg BW), although the empathogenic feeling is very weakly present. it goes more in the direction of mood-lift. blurry-vision steadily weakens after approx. 1 hour for 1 hour. no harsh come down.

insufflation 1
a few days later i took three such lines at once and the burning was almost unbearable. the drip that comes after is corrosive to my throat. have to drink lots of water to neutralize the burning. no question that this substance is caustic as hell. the effect is similar to the small line mentioned above, only blurry-vision is now very strong present. small mdma-euphoria waves hits me now and then. sometimes i have to stop my activity for a moment to refocus my vision.

oral 1
as already mentioned, i don’t have a scale at hand. i take an empty 00 capsule and fill it up approx. 25% with the powdered (by me) substance and i swallowed it on an empty stomach.
i’m so immersed in my work at my computer that i haven’t even paid attention to whether i’m feeling a come-up or not. after about an hour and a half i feel an incredible push. like i have tailwind and nothing can stop me. it reminded me of a high 4f-mph dose but without being jittery and introverted like i usually be with various phenidates like mph or iph. i look at the clock and was glad that i didn’t wait too much for the effects to come up, otherwise i would have redosed.
i ask myself, whether the substance has immersed me unconsciously in this work-tunnel-vision and this is the peak or if it kicks in only now. i think of how insidious this substance is, if it takes 90 min to kick in. after about 1 hour of progressive pushing, my vein on my finger hurts. this vein had already hurt me years ago when i was too stimulated from amphetamines. no doubt that vasoconstriction is happening right now. the stimulation per se is really clean though; no jittery and almost no tachycardia.
as i start to see blurry again, i am almost sad that this dopamine-norepinephrine stimulation is slowly transitioning in a serotonin direction. don’t get me wrong. it’s not that it’s not pleasant, but it forces me to quit this focused work-state i was. after around one hour of little, but constant occurring euphoria waves i come down softly. during the whole time i had to drink an incredible amount of water. my mouth was dry like a pillow from the start when i felt the effects till the end.

oral 2
00 capsule filled 50%
this time i’m not working but surfing the web, reading something now and then or watching short videos. the effect creeps up pretty quickly and steadily after about an hour and a half. i wonder again why it takes so long and that there will be with certitude tons of dangerous redosing accidents, if this substance is becoming more popular / known.
again an incredible clean stimulation. this time my hands are sweating and my heart rate is higher. sometimes little tachycardia phases but nothing unpleasant. this time i have the feeling that the „dopamine phase“ is over sooner and the serotonin-flood comes earlier and lasts longer. am also pretty sure, that my body temperature has risen. after approx. 4.5 hours im back to base line.

thoughts
almost certain that neurotoxicity is present given the similarity with mdma-like stages (even if they are weaker). can’t imagine dosing much higher because of vasoconstriction and tachycardia. as mentioned before, i see a big danger in impatient people who might redose, because they „do not feel anything yet".

take care and thanks for reading

Last edited:
I fully plan on laying into a supply of this ASAP. When I do I will report back results with measured dosages.

I've been trying to find a source for the 4-methyl positional isomer of this for a decade so I'm excited to try 3-MeMA.

I have a theory that 4-MeMA may be an MAOi. This is partly because the corresponding aminorex (4,4-DMAR) has been described as an MAOi. I believe that is why 4,4-DMAR was for all intents and purposes voluntarily recalled (due to deaths). This would also account for the deaths that have been attributed to 4-MeA.

Whether or not this applies to the 3-methyl version remains to be seen, but I'm willing to risk being a guinea pig. I tried 4,4-DMAR before there was concrete dosing information, too, and it is one of the best empathogens/entactogens I've ever had.

Until more is known I would advise caution with dosing. I won't be starting to dose this one orally at a third of a gram like I did with 3-MMC.

I've just been having an indepth read of this paper about the SAR of substituted amphetamines in relation to MAO inhibition activity.

3-methyl-n-methylamphetamine is not one of the compounds that was tested, but the tertiary anime was tested (3-methyl-N,N-dimethylamphetamine). According to the established SAR the tertiary amine should be a weaker inhibitor of MAO than the secondary or primary amine.

Therefore we could expect 3-MeMA to be a stronger MAOi than the N,N-dimethyl version. It does inhibit MAO (as does amphetamine itself), however it's nowhere near as potent as the para-alkoxy or para-halogenated substituted amphetamines.

Amphetamine inhibits MAO with an affininity of 11 uM while pMTA and pMA are in the nanomolar range (whole orders of magnitude more potent). The tertiary amine of 3-MeA inhibits MAO with an affinity of 8uM.

It looks like 3-MeMA is gonna be a more potent MAOi than amphetamine, but nowhere near the potency at inhibiting MAO as pMTA, pMA, or even AMT (or 5-Cl-AMT).

Interestingly, this study included side chain substitutions. I keep telling everybody beta-methoxy versions of 3 and 4-methylmethamphetamine are the next wave and apparently beta-methoxy sidechain substitutions do a pretty good job of abolishing MAO inhibition.

This is an excellent article

Last edited:

Here ya are :)

Sounds like it was a common cut in certain parts of the E.U. for a little bit. Someone random chemist probably whipped up a fair amount.

-GC
Interestingly, if you read the article the proposed method of toxicity for 4-MA in this instance is the presence of amphetamine in the product.

Somehow I think that MAOI activity can actually be a good thing, if dosed correctly it will protect you from neurotoxicity and monoamine depletion. I loved 4,4'-DMAR, was using it for like 10 days in a row with effects only fading very slowly and no signs of depletion. I was using low doses though, but either it's potency as MAOI wasn't too high or the dangers lie mainly in mix use with other substances.

Will try this one for sure, sounds nice even when not as euphoric as MDMA. How about the rebound / comedown?

1-(3-methylphenyl)-2-methylaminopropane.png

GREEN
1-(3-methylphenyl)-2-methylaminopropane

Somehow I think that MAOI activity can actually be a good thing, if dosed correctly it will protect you from neurotoxicity and monoamine depletion. I loved 4,4'-DMAR, was using it for like 10 days in a row with effects only fading very slowly and no signs of depletion. I was using low doses though, but either it's potency as MAOI wasn't too high or the dangers lie mainly in mix use with other substances.

Will try this one for sure, sounds nice even when not as euphoric as MDMA. How about the rebound / comedown?
I think combos might have been the problem, too, because I used a gram in less than 12 hours. My wife saw my pupils and knew that I was high. Then she called my mom and I refused to hand it over to them and ended up using a whole gram. I didn't die but the psychosis from a whole gram was intense.

I've just been having an indepth read of this paper about the SAR of substituted amphetamines in relation to MAO inhibition activity.

3-methyl-n-methylamphetamine is not one of the compounds that was tested, but the tertiary anime was tested (3-methyl-N,N-dimethylamphetamine). According to the established SAR the tertiary amine should be a weaker inhibitor of MAO than the secondary or primary amine.

Therefore we could expect 3-MeMA to be a stronger MAOi than the N,N-dimethyl version. It does inhibit MAO (as does amphetamine itself), however it's nowhere near as potent as the para-alkoxy or para-halogenated substituted amphetamines.

Amphetamine inhibits MAO with an affininity of 11 uM while pMTA and pMA are in the nanomolar range (whole orders of magnitude more potent). The tertiary amine of 3-MeA inhibits MAO with an affinity of 8uM.

It looks like 3-MeMA is gonna be a more potent MAOi than amphetamine, but nowhere near the potency at inhibiting MAO as pMTA, pMA, or even AMT (or 5-Cl-AMT).

Interestingly, this study included side chain substitutions. I keep telling everybody beta-methoxy versions of 3 and 4-methylmethamphetamine are the next wave and apparently beta-methoxy sidechain substitutions do a pretty good job of abolishing MAO inhibition.

This is an excellent article
I went back and took another look at this just now and realized that drug I was comparing 3-MeMA with was the 3-methyl-amiflamine analog and now my comparison makes little sense considering that amiflamine is 2-methyl-4-dimethylamino-amphetamine and NOT 2-methyl-N,N-dimethylamphetamine as I had thought.

I would imagine the 4-dimethylamino group is the reason why amiflamine is an MAOi.

This still leaves me not having found what I was looking for. That being the MAOi activity data for 4-MeMA, 4-MeA, 3-MeA, and 3-MeMA. I'm also seeking this data for 4,4-DMAR, 4C-MAR, and relatives.

We're kind of shooting in the dark with no MAOi activity data on monomethyl ring substituted amphetamines to be found.

Last edited:
After seeing now that 3-MeOA is less potent as an MAOi (23uM) than either 2-MeOA(9uM), or amphetamine itself (roughly 11uM) makes me less worried about it. 4-MeOA(pMA) being far more active and binding with sub micromolar affinities.

The beta keto (bk) and beta methoxy (bMeO) versions are definitely less potent MAOis than non beta oxygenated versions by a wide margin. For binding data on 4-MeO-cathinone (bk-pMA) I think was only 77uM and this value was very similar for bMeO-pMA.

The affinity data for bMeO-pMTA also shows it being much weaker at MAO-A inhibition than regular amphetamine while the non beta methoxy version (pMTA) is even more potent than pMA.

Long story short it would appear that the beta keto groups or beta methoxy groups (not necessarily beta hydroxyl groups) are very effective at causing a very dramatic loss of potency as inhibitors of MAO. Especially when compared to non-bk or non-bMeO amphetamine counterparts.

It's still a strong possibility that 4-MeMA is a fairly strong MAOi. I would bet on it being stronger at MAO-A inhibition than amphetamine but weaker than PMA. That's a hunch though. For some reason I cannot find the MAOi activity of any amphetamines with monomethyl ring substitutions.

Since I saw in this paper that 3-MeOA is orders of magnitude less potent at inhibiting MAO-A than 4-MeOA (pMA), and it is also a weaker MAOi than regular amphetamine, I wouldn't hesitate too much to try 3-MeMA.

I might actually hesitate to take 4-MeMA despite having wanted to for years and years.

If the SAR is correct then the bMeO-4-MeMA should be as safe to take as mephedrone (4-MeMC or bk-4-MeMA) when you consider their abilities to inhibit MAO. bMeO-4-MeMA may actually be safer to the cardiovascular system than mephedrone due to being unlikely to form 4-methylephedrine based metabolites.

The fact that 3-MeOA is a less potent MAOi than plain old amphetamine (while 4-MeOA is orders of magnitude more potent than regular amphetamine) might account for them bringing 3-MeMA out as a solo product in a bigger way first before the 4-methyl versions.

Sorry for the wall of text. I be one meth'd out drug nerd tonight.

If anyone finds any papers about the MAOi activity of monomethyl monosubstitutions to the ring please let me know. Ideally I would like this information for beta keto, beta methoxy, and aminorex analogs as well!

Last edited: