• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

1st opiate use turned into binge. Worried about withdrawals

NerdyPotHead420

Greenlighter
Hi everyone,

First post and first off I smoke weed daily take 1mg klonopin 3x/week Tripped thrice, had addy 4 times in my life but never opiates till recentl . I have a concern and no one to talk to. I know I'm not supposed to mention script amounts or mgs taken but it's integral to my concerns.

Basically I got prescribed 12 4mg (36mg total) dilaudid(hydromorphone) from an oral surgeon after wisdom teeth extraction. I didn't ask for any pills and wasn't in much pain.i didn't touch them till after recovering from the extraction because I wanted to have fun with opiates for the 1st time

I researched the pills and found sniffing was a good way of getting high. The best is IV but even seeing needles freak me put so screw that. The first day using ever in my life, I sniffed 2mg and got high as a kite. Got high twice the next day 2mg in morning and 2 at night. Then it started taking more and more until today and I snorted my last 8mg 10 hours ago and BARELY got a buzz today. I went through all of 12 4mg pills in a few days. Binged on my first time use.

I've been reading about withdrawal from opiates and it's scaring the crap out of me. Also I have generalized anxiety and take kpin less than prescribed. I don't want to take one now in case of opiates in my system. But I'm really anxious right now. What should I expect from withdrawal from that much in that short period of time? Any tips on dealing with it? I'm 5 foot 10 and 140 pounds if that would make a difference. I know that are plenty of threads like this but I want people to personally help me because it will help me calm down. Thank you.

Tl;dr 1st time opiate use ended up into binging 36mg dialuidid, extremely scared of withdrawals

Your anxiety is probably making your situation harder than it is right now. You are not physically dependent after a few days of use. You will suffer something similar to a hang over as your body clears out the drugs. Think of it as a hang over that you will be through after a few days. Make sure that you don't stay in bed all day feeling bad and getting anxious. Get out and have a normal day with activity so your mind is occupied. Or hang out with some friends or something just so you are doing something.

That being said, it seems like you should stay away from opiates in the future. But I think you have realized this yourself? I hope that you can calm down a bit from realizing that you are only suffering mild hang over like symptoms in a few days.

^Exactly

I think you'll experience pretty minor withdrawal if any at all.

Welcome to Bluelight btw, please post questions like this in Basic Drug Discussion next time :)

Thank you. So I just should expect to feel sad and like a turd in general for a few days. I have the klonopin to reduce anxiety I might have during the withdrawal is that okay to do? Also I'm gonna be in college most of the week but with a light work load so i can take it easy. The possible few days of withdrawal shouldn't effect my academics thankful for that I'm a perfectionist and bombing my grades from a dumb decision would destroy me lol

And yeah I'm never going near opiates and I'll refuse any future Rx for them. Rather deal with whatever pain than touch opiates again

These American doctors are crazy I never received more than a tramadol script for oral surgery and that was with a foreign dentist!

But don't expect any withdrawals really any depression or anxiety is as much psychosomatic as anything else. Maybe you have time to exercise vigoursly if you can psuh yourself to do it it will compensate for most of the symptoms through endorphin and endocannabinoid upregulation.

Also when my psychiatrist got mad he mentioned something about a Dea red flag on my file? Anyone know what that is

Yeah I did some research and Dilaudid is a rarely prescribed opioid in general and most oral surgeons prescribe percs or oxy. And yeah American docs are crazy.. In September I went to my regular doc about anxiety, just explained my issues and how it's effecting my life and got prescribed 90 footballs of xanax until I can get a psychiatrist appointment. 1mg xanax/3x a day and that's what I took bc I trusted my doc.

When I first saw my psychiatrist and he saw my xanax rx, saw I never had been prescribed benzos before, he got furious. Said I got heavily overprescribed and that my doc made me an addict. So he put me on 1mg klonopin a day from November to January and 2mg a day from January to present. I only take about 15 of the pills. One for each school day a month. I take now where near the prescribed amount but I'm definitely hooked on benzos.

I don't get it tho, the psych got mad because I was overprescribed so he puts me on a different daily benzo and increases the dosage? Does that sound like overprescription to you guys? 60 1mg klonopin a month sounds like too much if you ask me. Also thank you for the support everyone

Doesn't make much sense the consensus is that long duration benzos like klonopin and diazepam are less addictive because of there being less of a surge in effects. However in practical terms you will build a much bigger tolerance and have a benzo in your bloodstream round the clock so it's more of misconception that many docs have towards xanax than anything else the name just sets off mental alarms I guess.

Lol he scolded you and actually upped your dosage what a dumbass!

Depending on who you ask, Opioid use will take at least a couple weeks of solid use to provoke severe withdrawal, probably longer. As I went through withdrawal more and more, the amount and frequency of use required to induce withdrawal, became much shorter. Now, if I use for 3-4 days straight, any Opioid, I can expect a couple of days of withdrawal. It sucks, but you've likely nothing to worry about if it's your first time.

Regarding the Benzodiazepine prescriptions, 2mg per day of Clonazepam is probably in the upper percentiles of starting dosages, but not totally unheard of. In the United States at least, you're far more likely to receive 1mg per day, at least to start. From that point on, the sky's the limit based upon how conservative or liberal your prescriber is. The difference of 1mg per day is really pretty significant.

You'll be fine.... I had the same amount prescribed and used about as much as you more frequently without withdrawals. Really it takes a good month to get serious withdrawals while to still can get aggravating withdrawals after shorter term use.

Edit: Higher doses like recreational doses create dependancy faster vs light medical use as you used even in an abnormal manner.

You have the red flag because you were prescribed the dilaudid(hydromorphone) which is extremely rare to be prescribed for just wisdom teeth extraction or surgery.

For wisdom teeth extraction or surgery, even if the teeth are extremely impacted most people are given low doses of oxycodone or hydrocodone, and a lot of people who do not have impacted teeth are just given a high dose of acetaminophen or a high dose of ibproufen.

As other people posted stay far away from opiates. You will probably have some withdrawal symptoms. Talk to a medical doctor about this, and tell him how you are prescribed benzos as well and ask what you should do about the withdrawal from the opiates. Stay safe.

lol at hydromorphone for wisdom teeth. although I did get a script for 20 5/325 hydro AND 20 5/325 oxy after a wisdom teeth extraction, I am in the U.S. obviously.

Dilaudids for a wisdom teeth extraction is crazy!
All I got was acetaminophen..

Now that's crazy. Acetaminophen doesn't even touch the mildest headache I've had. Lol. (Though I do agree dilaudid is excessive. ) But back when I had wisdom teeth out, a nice sleepy Vicodin day was preferable to throbbing mouth pain...

I don't find it so odd that doctors prescribe dilaudid. Yes it's strong but it's valid and I can't say I've ever had my charts red flagged for prescriptions as even wisdom teeth extraction is a legit cause for opioids. I really doubt it too as you had such a small amount overall that it would be cause for concern. I highly doubt even from a short binge you'd feel anything besides a little run down for a couple days, particularly since your ROA was not IV. I'd wager to say your switch from Xanax to clonazepam is why you didn't start out on the lowest dose. Xaxax has the biggest rec value because it's so short acting but even at what you were on is not unheard of especially because it is short term. I've found often that there's a world of difference in opinions in the medical community regarding benzos in particular. It's a shame that quality meds take such a bad rap and the focus has shifted from their true value to their rec value to the point they are becoming taboo. Physical addiction I feel is so much more manageable than panic disorder I guess. But that's me.

Totally.
No suprise that there is a surge of heroin addiction in these days in USA

I see others agree here. For the life of me, I have never heard of dillies being prescribed for tooth extractions. Damn, what would that doctor prescribed if a patient had a super serious condition? UFB!

so OP how was the withdrawing dude, it was nothing really ey? got through it :) ?

and regarding the opiates for tooth ex. , its insane. On the one hand, in a perfect world with balanced people, why not prescribe sth strong,why suffer if you dont have to. But its not a perfect world and no wonder theres so much pharm abuse. In Europe, as its been mentioned, you get close to nothing. I had impacted wisdom teeth, got them cut out with a chisel and got NOTHING. Also they do not put you under for that, only locally numb the spot and you observe the doctor hammering away with the chisel, cutting the bone open to get to it.

Only after it wouldnt stop bleeding and couldnt sleep I got something not opiate based,not very strong,(and only two). Complete opposite than the US but neither is great in the end. Yet better safe than sorry. As a society we are far from being mentally/spiritually capable of handling strong pharms without succumbing to their more "pleasurable" sides.

Last edited:
Well for me my extractions were when I was thirty and the roots were at the nerve, not like a teenager when wisdom teeth are typically removed. My dentists growing up felt it was unnecessary and then I hit thirty and had problems and ended up going in for oral surgery. But I've also had dilaudid for herniated/torn discs in my spine. I think taking them orally that dilaudid doesn't seem half as strong as percocet. IV nothing compares obviously but what oral surgeon is going to think a weeks worth of oral dilaudid is going to turn a non-addict into someone with a needle frenzy? My scripts were from different states in the US over the years and I knew others scripted the same. Dilaudid isn't that uncommon where I've been but I guarantee the more it gets abused the less it'll be prescribed.