Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

1980's Microdot

bobaloo11

Greenlighter
Greetings all.

Back in the early 80's my friends and I did ALOT of microdot. Problem is we were told this was mescaline but I've read a bunch of stuff saying that it couldn't have been that. They were called strawberry (red) or yellow (sunshine). Most were asprin shaped but tiny about 2 or 3 mm. some were about the same size but were more barrel shaped. The high was very intense, speeding, colors, trails, laughing until our faces hurt etc. Smoking pot was usually a must to take the "edge" off. We also drank beer with it but it seemed like a waste of beer since you could drink large amounts without much effect.

We didn't have the internet to get info on it and so since the "dealer" was a very close friend of mine, she said mescaline, I believed her, but I see now this couldn't have been the case.

So, LSD or mescaline, it was awsome even though at 57yrs. old, I don't think I would do it now. After all these years I still wonder about the contents of these tiny pills that would last 8 to 12hrs+

Any input would be nice.

Your friend probably didnt know any better. Dealers arent exactly known for their pharmacological knowledge

it was acid, we had great microdots in 60's 70's 80's 90's - have not seen much since.
and it's good medicine (I am 65) for all ages

Why would it be impossible to pit 300mg of mescaline into a pressed capsule???

It's not, but it is impossible to put an active dose of mescaline in something the size of a microdot. Simply much too tiny to fit hundreds of milligrams of powder.

I've heard of DOM being quite popular back then as well, and the effects sound very similar too...8)

DOM is phenethylamine and a psychedelic amphetamine with visual trailing and according speediness, so maybe that's why your friend thought of Mescaline, which is also phenethylamine, just a thought though.

Yeah I was thinking it was maybe DOM too, which is chemically related to mescaline, and is potent enough to fit a dose on a tiny pill. Maybe some information was lost in translation "It's DOM, which is related to mescaline" might have become abbreviated to "It's mescaline".. Otherwise microdots were usually LSD as noted above. Of course you'll never know for sure from talking on here and not being able to test it anymore.

Why would it be impossible to pit 300mg of mescaline into a pressed capsule???

"Pressed capsule"?

Pressing is how you make pills, tablets or (if it's an RC) "pellets". With capsules you simply have two pieces of solid, slightly flexible gelatin - you fill the longer "inner" piece with material, then cap it off by sticking on the other piece.
Ok, I'll stop nitpicking already ;)

But yeah, as Xorkoth said, pressing a Mescaline pill wouldn't be impossible, it's just that they'd be pretty large. If you factor in the binders, a 300 mg mescaline pill would probably weigh around half a gram, dwarfing even today's ultra-strong Dutch MDMA tablets. Microdots, on the other hand, were tiny - weighing around 10 miligrams in total. With a normal dose of DOM being around 5 miligrams, it's possible that somebody would make DOM-containing microdots... but given LSD's unpredictability and the way it opens you up to suggestion, it is entirely possible that it was simply LSD and your experience was modified by your expectation of them having mescaline in it.

Anyway, microdots having mescaline in them seems to have been a pretty common misconception back then, so your dealer telling you they were mescaline does not necessarily imply that it even was a phenethylamine.

Then why are the 325mg acetaminophen pressed tabs I'm staring at right now look like small regular size capsules???
I don't think it's difficult to press 300mg into a capsule... or for that matter take a pressed tab of inert material and drop some LSD ( or DOX onto it) mimicking a Microdot.

Just checked my bottle of 400mg ibuprofen and those pressed tabs ate smaller than a single O gelcap.
Just saying.

Two recent test results of mesc in pills:

https://www.ecstasydata.org/view.php?id=3675
https://www.ecstasydata.org/view.php?id=3765

The red one looks home made.. I think people sometimes clump their powders into 'pills' with binding agents because it's cheaper to have pills tested than powders haha..

Mescaline in pills - entirely possible. 250mg of the HCl could be pressed into a pill the size of a standard MDMA pill.
Mescaline in microdots - couldn't happen.. strong LSD or DOx sounds far more likely.

A 'standard' pill, it would be pushing it but in the realm of possibility. This record breaking 300 mg purple burger king is a pretty fat pill:

http://i.imgur.com/ak2ye9S.jpg

That 216 mg total weighing mesc pill wouldn't contain all that much mesc I guess.

Obviously if you are adding too little binder it will be a crumbly AF pill.

As erowid wisely suggests: the rarity of mescaline tells us that supposed mescaline (that goes for powder as well) should be seriously doubted and also reagent tested since the chances are so high it is just another PEA or other psychededelic that is misadvertised / hyped. ID speculation regarding actual drugs in dots, pills etc is pointless and not allowed, but of course it's worth considering the limits of how much substance a pill or microdot can contain, how available and expensive which drugs are, among other factors.

Just so everyone knows what people mean when they say "microdot", here's a handy size/weight comparison.
As you can see, microdots are *tiny*, like 1/10th of an inch, with a total weight of around ~10 mg.

And again, note that "weight" refers to the total weight of the pill here, *not* the dosage - the pictured MDMA weighs 260 miligrams, but only ~half of that would be actual MDMA.

pill_dimensions1.jpg

I've only seen microdots a couple of times. They seem far too easy to misplace haha

Most of the MD rounds I weighed were between 250 and 350. Seems to vary a bit more now. No idea how much binder is actually necessary to hold them together firmly but I think some compounds can remain quite high purity with the right binder as long as they are pressed properly.

ID speculation regarding actual drugs in dots, pills etc is pointless and not allowed
Don't mean to speculate, I just mention it because anything sold as mescaline, especially in the form of microdots, is best to be cautious of. Apparently 'mescaline' is slang for PCP in some parts of USA. Such confusion in doses may account for some of the crazy shit attributed to PCP.

Thing I found interesting about those mescaline containing pills on edata is that there weren't even trace amounts of other compounds. I'd expect a cactus extract to contain at least a small amount of other alkaloids..

If someone has enough mescaline to press pills (pressing a batch isn't cheap), I doubt it came from industrial scale cactus extraction?

Don't worry was just pointing out boundaries since mescaline pills / dots are part of the topic and it's natural to wanna answer what is in them if not mesc.

I think you are correct that some drug+binder combinations may be much more favorable than others allowing you to put in more of the drug.

Just so everyone knows what people mean when they say "microdot", here's a handy size/weight comparison.
As you can see, microdots are *tiny*, like 1/10th of an inch, with a total weight of around ~10 mg.

And again, note that "weight" refers to the total weight of the pill here, *not* the dosage - the pictured MDMA weighs 260 miligrams, but only ~half of that would be actual MDMA.

pill_dimensions1.jpg
Honestly, I really appreciate the clarification about Microdot because I was under the impression that Microdot was just any size of inert pill with a drop of LSD on it.
The picture greatly puts things in perspective!!!

it was acid, we had great microdots in 60's 70's 80's 90's - have not seen much since.
and it's good medicine (I am 65) for all ages

I caught the tail end of the microdots in the very early nineties. They were the most intense experience imaginable. We used to visit new age traveller camps and they always had acid. When the microdots appeared they used to place them on sellotape so they wouldn't get lost. Usually two of this babies would send you on a wild ride. Then, one night, I took two and came up like a rocket in about 15 minutes. Bad trip!
Didn't touch acid for years after that. No idea what the dosage was, but it was high. A few days ago I took a total of 800ug (alleged of course, but decent strength nonetheless) of LSD (verified with my testing kit) followed by 200ug of ETH-LAD a couple of hours later. It was an intense ride, certainly (particularly when I added some MXE many hours later but that's another story), but I still didn't come up as fast as that time on the microdots.

So, I suspect that the last batch of microdots I can across (must be around 1991/2) were doses very highly even allowing for the variable effects of LSD.