• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

16 and planning my first use of psychedelics.

Bearfoot

Greenlighter
Hey guys, my names Drake, I just turned 16 on January 24, and I'm planning on trying psilocybin containing mushrooms, Panaeolus cinctulus specifically, on my 17th birthday. I'm making this thread for the sole purpose of to get as much information from experienced people as I can before I do anything. About three months ago, I had the chance to hang out with my brother, he's 28, and a handful of his friends, and after playing disk golf up in the mountains, we went out to eat at a bar. Eventually my brother and his friends started talking about their experiences with various psychoactive substances. They described mescaline, LSD, and 'magic mushroom' trips, and that really peaked my interest. Before then, I had no desire to try any type of drug, even though I have always had very easy access to pot and prescriptions. So then for the past few months, I've been heavily researching many types of psychoactives and I'm convinced that I can benefit from the use of them. My main question is should I wait until I'm 18 or older? I plan on doing it with my brother and one of his friends on a private farm so there's plenty of space for me to run around naked if that ends up happening. Also, should shrooms be my first trip? I could get something else if ya'll think that would be more appropriate for my first time. Thank you all. Much Love.

[let's not be so crude]

Ok not really... we aren't here to judge but bud you are super young to be delving into psychedelics... have friends that won't fuck with you or fuck with other people around you. A safe environment for your first trip. You don't want to ruin everything awesome that psychedelics can be just because you're with a bunch of immature teenagers.

My drug of choice is Acid. The comedown is light, the high is absolute, and I don't get the stomach ache I get from Mushrooms. Just be careful. Work your way up. You can always take more, but you can never get your hair back after a haircut. Take a tab of acid, when you start tripping if you want more, take another, or half of another... just don't overdo it. We don't want to see some news story about some kid that lost his sanity because he took too much psychs....

Honestly I wouldn't fuck with Mescaline until you are older. Mescaline is a tainted beast... sometimes she gives you the soul bearing experience you need. Other times you just want to curl into a ball.

I always say stay safe, trip safe... and have fun bud. Let us know the outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I think you are too young. Tripping might go well for you, but it could also have dire consequences. Be sure sure you know what these consequences could be, so you have the proper foundation to make your decision.

Thing is, we get people here almost every week, who have had a bad trip, and who can't integrate what they experienced. And now live in what they describe as "permanent hell", they are scared they will never feel normal again. these people are nearly always fall in to categories:
Those who are under 20 years, and those who OD'ed.

There is a direct correlation between age and problems after tripping. Of cause everybody reacts differently to drugs, which is the point, you don't know beforehand if you are ready or how you will respond. Now, I'm not trying to scaremonger, tripping is great and I can't recommend it enough, which is why it would be so sad if you ruin it for yourself for life, by doing it too early.

You should read this thread, because you're not the first to ask this question:

Nearly-17-too-young-lsd

You should ask yourself, do I absolutly have to trip now, or can I wait a couple of years? I tell you, the acid and the shrooms will still be there in 4 years time.

Faggot's advice is very good. From watching this board for some time, it's true that there has been a pattern of people around your age receiving difficult experiences with psychedelics.

I think it might be good to wait till about 21, or 19 at least. Probably a lot of people on this board, myself included started at around your age, but it's true that the people who encounter problems tend to be on the younger end of the spectrum, so I don't think it's worth it.

Of course there could be a statistical bias here due to the fact that your first experience will always be at a younger age than your subsequent experiences, and people who run into problems tend not to repeat. But I think there is a lot of personal maturity that develops in your early adulthood that helps to successfully navigate a trip.

Can someone please tell me how I was being "crude." I thought this was a forum and website dedicated to drug safety and information. If you have the mental maturity to take drugs can you not handle bad words? Sorry, I'm new here I would just like some guidance. Thanks.

OK nvm I see what happened. I had posted a really funny joke about not being old enough to do something and I guess the mods deleted it. Jesus.... I thought this site would have been full of people full of off color humour.

Let me pull out my bib and gerber food so I can post. Christ.

If u havent smoked pot yet i def wouldn't take mushrooms. Mushrooms for me are serious and always scare me at first. Its not like lighthearted alky or weed. Imo if someone has smoked pot and been really paranoid and uncomfortable thats what a bad trip to me is like x 5. Being u have never really used anything. U have no idea how u will react. Whether or not your one of those people psychedelics brings out mental problems or make u end up in the street naked. So imo mushrooms wouldn't be the first thing to try. Although i cant really talk i ate a mushroom choclate when i was 16 and ive never forgot that night.

If u havent smoked pot yet i def wouldn't take mushrooms. Mushrooms for me are serious and always scare me at first. Its not like lighthearted alky or weed. Imo if someone has smoked pot and been really paranoid and uncomfortable thats what a bad trip to me is like x 5. Being u have never really used anything. U have no idea how u will react. Whether or not your one of those people psychedelics brings out mental problems or make u end up in the street naked. So imo mushrooms wouldn't be the first thing to try. Although i cant really talk i ate a mushroom choclate when i was 16 and ive never forgot that night.
Sorry but I completely disagree with this.

If you've got no tolerance, strong cannabis is an extremely intense experience... people seem to forget this. Stuff used to get me smashed when I first started smoking it.
Nowadays I smoke it every day so all I get is mild euphoria and relaxation but back in the day I used to get ridiculous CEVs, lucid dreaming, ego death and feelings of falling, flying, melting into the ground... often the body high was so damn powerful I couldn't even move.
One day last year I did a combination of DPT and MXE and I shit you not: that was what getting stoned used to feel like for me.

The first psychedelic I tried was mushrooms. This was actually a lot easier to handle than my first time smoking weed.

I tend to discourage anyone from experimenting with substances until after 18 years, at least, because by then any harm that might been done comes after their body has pretty much finished developing/maturing. There is a lot on the subject, and frankly, it's better to wait.

yeah, I'd also recommend to wait a little bit longer, but if you decide to do it anyway, here's some HR advice:

1) know your dose. I haven't heard of this kind of species of mushrooms before, apparently they are common in America... a quick search suggested that they might be more potent than Psilocybe Cubensis (the most commonly cultivated species). since I don't know about their strenght, I'd encourage you to find out and make an informed decision on how much to take. I'd take no more than the equivalent to 1.5g of dried cubensis for a first time.

a low dose of mushrooms is a good initiaton in my opinion, it's mostly high doses that give people bad experiences.

2) set and setting: doing it with your older brother (which you seem to trust) on a farm sounds like a fine setting to me... but if you are too anxious or otherwise in a bad mood, it's often better to postpone the experience.

3) be honest to yourself about what you want from the experience, but keep an open mind towards what's happening at the same time. psychedelic experiences can be very unpredictable and might show you stuff you didn't expect to see.

4) if you want to smoke cannabis during the trip, don't do it beforehand or during the trip. weed can intensify the effects a great deal, which might lead to a bad experience. many people are fine smoking but some can't smoke weed while tripping because it makes the experience more intense and anxiogenic. if you want to smoke, it's a safer bet to do it after the comedown. smoking during the afterglow tends to be much more forgiving.

edit: I just realized that you never smoked weed before. in this case, don't combine at all.

well, once again, I'd also say you should wait a little longer, have more time to think about it, but if you will do it, please do it as responsible as possible. these drugs are no toys.

greets :)

Last edited:
Can someone please tell me how I was being "crude."

Beginning with a "joke" that says "go fuck yourself"... I wonder how that could be considered crude ;)

Beginning with a "joke" that says "go fuck yourself"... I wonder how that could be considered crude ;)

Ah... I was trying to make the "yer too young to do ______" point but I see where it could have been misinterpreted.. and come on. You laughed.

Guys lets be serious here, this kid is probably not going to read our responses and say, "Well gee willicker I will wait a few more years before I try pyschedelics." He is 16. We all know how it felt to be at that age.

First off, if you're going to do something, please lay off the mescaline. I've done a ton of LSD and mushies in my day, but mescaline is saved for a rare night. You have your whole life to dabble in psychedelics, don't drive the race car before you get your license.

I say...... again. Stay safe and trip safe. Have a comfortable environment which includes not only the people you surround yourself with but also the location in which you drop. My buddies and I had an awesome time at the San Diego Zoo one time... but I wouldn't recommend that for your first time you get my meaning?
Do it somewhere with lots of couch cushions and preferably with someone who has done it before and can watch you. The last thing you want is to think that flaming zombie unicorns are stampeding your house and you need to call the fire department.

Your trip is either going to be good or bad or just kinda mehhh if you're one of those extremely rare types that doesn't get a kick out of psychs. It will all be about mental state. Hopefully because it's your birthday, you'll be in a good mood.... but if you have repressed feelings, things you hold back from everyone, a dark side, yadda yadda.. that may come out in the worst of ways and give you a bad trip. Nobody likes a bad trip, but that is why you do it in a comfortable place. You can always get rid of a bad trip with help from your friends or sleep it off. Keep your brain in a good place all day.... shit.. just think to yourself, "dude I'm going to drop acid wooohooo."

These are just my experiences so take them as you want. Acid is a long mental, visual, and physical trip... you're in for the ride all night and won't sleep until the next day if the stuff is good. Take a tab, work up from there. Never take too much, always take a little because with LSD if you don't feel high enough, you can always take more and it WILL use your previous dose as a stepping stone. No loss there. The come up is different for everyone but you should be good about 30 minutes to an hour after you take it. The come down is not very bad in my opinion. Maybe some restlessness both physically and mentally, but most of the time I've been so tired I just crash for 12 hours and wake up a bit groggy, but ready to get back to life.

Mushrooms are also intense physically and visually. I don't get as much of the mental soul searching with mushrooms as I do with LSD. You have to eat mushrooms. This sucks. They do taste like poop. You also have to make sure your mushrooms are good quality and not moldy. I used to eat my mushrooms with a can of Arizona Peace Tea to wash them down.. it always worked well. The first time I did them I did about 1/16. Like with LSD you can always work your way up. Mushrooms can come back up.. not fun, you won't lose your trip, but sometimes it puts your mental state into a bit of a depressive one.... see above for mental states. The come up is pretty quick and the high is shorter than LSD for me... the comedown on shrooms for me is always one of those "everything is yellow, why can't I sleep yet" comedowns... so they are good for groups and music later at times.

Whatever you do choose, just have fun and be safe. Don't surround yourself with assholes or extreme type A personalities. You want to have a good trip, something that you can look forward to again.

Also... that shit is almost a year away. Update us closer to the real date so we remember.

Peace, man.

Hey guys, my names Drake, I just turned 16 on January 24, and I'm planning on trying psilocybin containing mushrooms, Panaeolus cinctulus specifically, on my 17th birthday. I'm making this thread for the sole purpose of to get as much information from experienced people as I can before I do anything. About three months ago, I had the chance to hang out with my brother, he's 28, and a handful of his friends, and after playing disk golf up in the mountains, we went out to eat at a bar. Eventually my brother and his friends started talking about their experiences with various psychoactive substances. They described mescaline, LSD, and 'magic mushroom' trips, and that really peaked my interest. Before then, I had no desire to try any type of drug, even though I have always had very easy access to pot and prescriptions. So then for the past few months, I've been heavily researching many types of psychoactives and I'm convinced that I can benefit from the use of them. My main question is should I wait until I'm 18 or older? I plan on doing it with my brother and one of his friends on a private farm so there's plenty of space for me to run around naked if that ends up happening. Also, should shrooms be my first trip? I could get something else if ya'll think that would be more appropriate for my first time. Thank you all. Much Love.
Do it! First time mush trip on a private farm? Sounds to me the the beginning of a wonderful memory. :) I tripped my first time when I was 17 and it's still the best trip I've ever had. As for HR advice, the others have that covered.

I would wait. Psychs can draw out latent mental illness or even trigger an acute anxiety spell. It is better to be out of the danger zone for schizophrenia (25 and older for males) and have some good life experience to fall back in case things go south during or after your trip.

I did shrooms a few times in my very late teens but I waited until my mid 20s to start experimenting with other psychs. I am glad I did because I can generally talk myself down from darker trips and have more perspective and control on my mental state.

I know its lame to hear "wait until you are older" but IMO it is prudent to wait. Psychedelics are VERY powerful and can greatly affect your mental state - stick to alcohol and weed when you are younger - they are far more recreational and forgiving on young minds.

I started psychedelics at 16 it's really not that big of a deal. if you are the tripping type...
Just be very careful and use proper precautions (have a sitter, be in a comfortable environment, test your drugs, etc)

also to note, i tried mushrooms before weed...

Wow, I didn't expect so many replies. After reading what you guys wrote, I think I'll wait until I'm 18 at least. Then I'll be old enough to attend Transformus, and I might end up tripping there for my first time. But who knows, I might not even want to do anything two years from now. Again, thank ya'll for the info and insight.

Thank you for listening advice, you will have your whole life ahead and psychedelics arent gonna disappear anytime soon.

Thank you for listening advice, you will have your whole life ahead and psychedelics arent gonna disappear anytime soon.

all LSD on earth will be gone by the year 2030 so better get started by then.
it will all be eaten by acidhead zombie apocalypse.
my word has been spoken.

As with everyone, I'd recommend waiting it out a little longer.

That being said, going off your posts alone, you strike me as a fairly intelligent, mature, and grounded kid. I don't believe you'd have any concerns trying mushrooms as long as you ensured set and setting were optimal, and preferably had a sober and mature friend to guide you if shit gets weird/stressful. Maybe have some xanax on hand, just in case you wish to abort.

My 2c :)