• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

14, smoking for 9 months straight?

hangoverlx

Greenlighter
So yeah im 14 and have been smoking weed for 9 months straight. What id like to know is, is that a bad thing? Will their be consequences? Im still deciding if I wanna go tonight sober or light up. I feel as though that weed has helped in mood and personality growth. When I was a sober (0-13) I acted like I was immature and would be able to turn ANYTHING into a joke for my amusement, which would make people turn a blind eye to me. I can make and keep friends now, and dont have as much social anxiety and feel calmer and less prone to anger (very bad anger issues). So basically, is there anything I should be worried about? And is it ok to keep smoking daily?

Last edited:
Of course you can smoke weed daily.

The only real consequence about smoking weed is a small drop in IQ if you start while you're young. This is only like 8 IQ points though so no biggy.

If weed is helping your anxiety then it should be good for you too.

Keep blazing.
Cheers!

I would argue that at his age his brain is still developing and being in a drug haze on a daily basis isn't doing him any good.

i started at 15.

tried 30+ drugs after that.

life revolved around drugs for a while.

spent a while lost and discovering myself.

not saying weed caused this but it was the start of my social life. not many smoked or did drugs so i stood out with the stoners and experimental few. eventually very recently everyone's smoking and trying 'rolling' at least;).

before weed i just played video games.

after weed i feel as though i got slightly stupider from abuse. i've abused it straight pretty much for almost 5 years.

i'm in school switching to bio major. i've always held my own academically. my other friends not so much but then again some just aren't meant for the school system to begin with ;).

i would reconsider starting a drug habit at 14 in any case. your brain is very young to be abused. so is mine. from my standpoint i wish i started later or in retirement. it's really the best drug when you have no worries. the young brain gets affected heavily by it in almost a similar fashion to how anyone becomes obsessed with anything rewarding. the weed vice just leads to a well known culture among users. the lazyness is what got to me so i had to stop using daily so i leave it for the weekends in the evening time mostly.

the passive aggression (anger issues) has been very real for me. be careful with that. only got the anger from the oppression against my usage.

Last edited:
i started at 15.

tried 30+ drugs after that.

life revolved around drugs for a while.

spent a while lost and discovering myself.

not saying weed caused this but it was the start of my social life. not many smoked or did drugs so i stood out with the stoners and experimental few. eventually very recently everyone's smoking and trying 'rolling' at least;).

before weed i just played video games.

after weed i feel as though i got slightly stupider from abuse. i've abused it straight pretty much for almost 5 years.

i'm in school switching to bio major. i've always held my own academically. my other friends not so much but then again some just aren't meant for the school system to begin with ;).

i would reconsider starting a drug habit at 14 in any case. your brain is very young to be abused. so is mine. from my standpoint i wish i started later or in retirement. it's really the best drug when you have no worries. the young brain gets affected heavily by it in almost a similar fashion to how anyone becomes obsessed with anything rewarding. the weed vice just leads to a well known culture among users. the lazyness is what got to me so i had to stop using daily so i leave it for the weekends in the evening time mostly.

the passive aggression (anger issues) has been very real for me. be careful with that. only got the anger from the oppression against my usage.

I see.. Well thank you, but I'm not into experimenting with other drugs ATM, kinda interested in psychedelics though, but wont experiment with that till 23 or so. And I feel as though I will be ok. Yes weed kinda makes you dumber but I rarely notice it.

If you like weed then never try opiates recreationally as those will get you even more calmer and satisfied. You can be in foxhole during massive bombardment and still feel satisfied while on opiate high.

I don't know if others will agree but imho good indica strain is somewhat like morphine and sativa feels like smallish dose of oxycodone.

Also I think there is some truth in gateway drug theory although not most who try pot will end up being junkie.

I cant really say I have direct experience in the matter as I started at 15 and didnt go to daily until I was almost 17. I have always been thankful that I started later then most because who knows what would have been different if I started earlier, something or nothing either way who knows.

I suppose the only effect you need to be aware of is its impact on your life. Everything has an impact on your daily routine as well as social and at your age academic performance. As long as you can say your life wouldnt be any different in critical areas that are directly tied to your future its probably not too bad. Its never gotten in the way of my life, other then legal consequences, but again i was at least 16 by the time i was smoking almost daily.

I would suggest keeping it to weekends if you can...I was smoking weed at 15 but didn't start daily until I was 19.

In the end smoking all day every day made my social anxiety worse and I started using harder drugs to deal with that.

If you're got anger problems maybe try working out how to cope with it sober before resorting to any substance?

Be careful with smoking everyday bud. I started smoking as a freshman up through my senior year in high school, and I definitely can't say it wasn't fun. But over time periods I'd smoke everyday I'd noticed problems not evident prior to daily smoke sessions. I noticed I'd forget things earlier and faster than before I smoked, and my motivation was at times not where it needed to be to keep up academically. The best advice I could give is to try and limit toking up to only the weekends or, if you're really looking to play it safe, maybe once every couple weeks. "everything in moderation" like they say. I love weed, but I'd hate to have to look back on my adolescent years someday feeling I could've managed my habits a bit better. Stay safe bud-

If you like weed then never try opiates recreationally as those will get you even more calmer and satisfied. You can be in foxhole during massive bombardment and still feel satisfied while on opiate high.

I don't know if others will agree but imho good indica strain is somewhat like morphine and sativa feels like smallish dose of oxycodone.

Also I think there is some truth in gateway drug theory although not most who try pot will end up being junkie.
Especially mixed WITH weed, that's how I got hooked. I was already a pothead when I decided to start mixing it hydrocodone, the two together was pure bliss for me and after that first time I was instantly addicted.

I would suggest keeping it to weekends if you can...I was smoking weed at 15 but didn't start daily until I was 19.

In the end smoking all day every day made my social anxiety worse and I started using harder drugs to deal with that.

If you're got anger problems maybe try working out how to cope with it sober before resorting to any substance?

This. You're only 14, you have the rest of your life to use drugs or smoke herb. Your brain and body are still developing and it's best if you do not flood them with THC daily. Stay safe.

I started smoking weed around 16 or 17. Not much older than the OP, but I wasn't going as hard as the OP is going when I was that early in my weed-smoking daze. I don't think it harmed my intellectual development...I was a pretty lazy student but made up for my complete lack of effort/attention by being naturally gifted in certain subjects, graduated from high school with a 3.4 GPA and went directly to college *shrug* Weed changed my life for the better; I can totally relate to the OP in that respect. I would recommend at least cutting back, though...toke up on weekends or to celebrate a significant accomplishment. That's my advice, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I can throw my chip into the "didnt hurt my intellectual development" however, there were more then one occasion where i would study during the blunt session or wait until i was done with my homework. I would never actually say its not going to hinder your academic performance because believe me i was a rarity in my circle, not that they didnt achieve anything i was the only scholarly one in the group.

I smoke copious amounts of weed and amaze normal people with my intellect (breaks wrist jerking self off) would i be better off without, no. But I also developed good habits at a young age so thats probably largely why its not an issue

Ok so weed helps your state of mind right now, but you need to learn how to deal with those types of stresses and anger without drugs. Especially because you are still growing up. If you just smoke weed all the time, whatever you don't like about your sobriety right now that makes you want weed is going to be amplified when you don't smoke it. And weed can't help forever, you will get a big tolerance to it eventually. Not only will you require way more weed to get those effects but it simply won't be possible to have them as good anymore. Dependency is also a very real possibility, especially psychologically, and it sucks. How would you feel, if you felt like you 'had' to smoke weed all the time and couldn't control your use of it because without it, you would no longer be 'sober' anymore...

9 months of straight use. Teenager. Sounds like abuse to me, do you ever take breaks to see what you are like without it? Cause sobriety tends to get more and more miserable over time. But yeah, your choice. I'm just saying there is potentially a lot to be concerned about here. Beyond drugs. Learning how to handle negative emotions is part of growing up.

Ok so weed helps your state of mind right now, but you need to learn how to deal with those types of stresses and anger without drugs. Especially because you are still growing up.

Growing up is all about learning yourself and learning how to starve out what you don't like and nurture and strengthen what you do like. If you have anger issues--where do they come from, what are they trying to tell you? Deal with them and don't run from them.

9 months of straight use. Teenager. Sounds like abuse to me, do you ever take breaks to see what you are like without it? Cause sobriety tends to get more and more miserable over time. But yeah, your choice. I'm just saying there is potentially a lot to be concerned about here. Beyond drugs. Learning how to handle negative emotions is part of growing up.

My son used to take breaks of 6 months from pot and frequent 1 month breaks from alcohol. As a parent, I could live with that because I knew he was aware of the potential hazards to himself (habit rather than choice, running from feelings rather than learning how to deal with them, effects on his physical health, etc). You have a long life ahead of you to explore your own relationship to altered consciousness. There is no one-size-fits-all. The first step in defining that relationship is ownership; don't let the drug own you. Using everyday at 14 is a giant red flag to me (also speaking from experience).

^Hangover, listen to that advice it's excellent. Did you try taking a break yet to see how you feel without weed? It is not the weed per se that is so much of a problem for teenagers (and others). It is that regular use can be used as an escape from typical problems that people encounter growing up and need to adapt to and learn from. That's a sensitive age to be using any drug (even caffeine), let alone daily, and it's when I started too. It can delay development.

Of course it is an effective medical treatment for some conditions, but daily drug use should be a last resort, not something to turn to at 14 because you are feeling angry. It's very common at that age to be having confusing thoughts and feelings. I'd say save the weed once you already have your shit together, later in life - and if you can't figure out what's wrong, there's nothing wrong with asking for some help if you need it at any point to figure out why you need to do that.

Anger was already mentioned, and weed is really good at diffusing anger. But there are countless reasons why somebody might be frequently angry. If someone is stoned all the time, and they don't feel the anger (or whatever it is they are running from), it is postponing the inevitable. When I used to smoke weed to calm my anger, I would get angrier than ever before when I wasn't stoned.

This being said, I find that occasional cannabis use forces me to confront issues and projects me into a state of heightened awareness. It is only when the weed is abused, that I have been harmed by it and mainly indirectly, from my own negligence. Generally, it's very safe especially in reasonable amounts. It's a great thing if you can respect it and keep the usage low, but a lot of people struggle with self control with drugs. You can check if you have self control, by attempting to stop for a while and see if there are bad cravings. It's a good check and if you can't control weed, run away from anything more serious (you'd be surprised how quickly things can escalate). Chronic use is another thing altogether. If you said you smoked just a little weed and were concerned about your long term health, it would really be no worries.

Last edited:
I like how so many people swear hand on heart that weed does this or that to their personal intellect.

How would anyone even remotely know, in the absence of time machine ownership?

To be safe, I'd avoid smoking consistently, or perhaps altogether while the brain is still developing. Just my opinion of course.

Me being 14 means no money, and that means less weed. I usually pick up a G and that lasts me 3 days. I don't smoke heavy, but daily.

I smoke about a G in 3 days. I'm not a heavy smoker. I smoke just about .20-.25 G a day just to get a little buzz for a few hours. Nothing intense. I'm smart about it and have planned it out and thought ahead. But right now, I'm going to enjoy myself. And if weed impairs my learning at school, I will immediately drop it to secure my future.

Someone has probably already mentioned it...but brain develops until age 25-27...so any psychoactive's during this phase are sketchy

I myself started at 13, am a medical patient now, and friends/family consider my cognition average to above average.

Mike