• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film 127 Hours

rate this film:

• Total voters
I thought it was alright - nothing special. The fact that you already know what the climax is before the movie even starts certainly didn't help things,

^ I had very little idea what the movie was about (aside from mountain climbing) before I watched it, so I'm sure that helped.

The fact that you already know what the climax is before the movie even starts certainly didn't help things,
i don't think knowing that [spoil]he gets out by cutting off his own arm[/spoil] spoiled my enjoyment of the movie at all.

i can bring to mind numerous movies, for example the messenger, gandhi and even titanic where knowing the end result didn't detract from the impact of the movie in the slightest.

alasdair

^i think that the ship sinks being common knowledge helps Titanic; it creates a positive tension. but with 127 Hours, knowing just left me waiting for it to happen. the movie being otherwise boring might have added to that effect.

^ For me it didn't really matter whether he did that or not. I was more caught up in his mental state, and the thoughts that were running through his brain. Whether he died right there or made it out didn't have much bearing on how I thought of the movie.

watched it from aprox half way through, found it quite inspiring

I had caught it from the part where he fills up his water container in the house, and grabs a few things from the cabinet (missing his Swiss Army Knife), before leaving for the trail. How far into it was that? I'm wondering how much I missed, and if it was anything significant.

ali said:
i can bring to mind numerous movies, for example the messenger, gandhi and even titanic where knowing the end result didn't detract from the impact of the movie in the slightest.

Agreed. I don't think I would have viewed the Titanic much differently whether Jack lived or died in the end, and I didn't even know the ending going into it (yes, I know, almost everybody knew the ending beforehand but me). If found it to be relatively insignificant, other than it signifying his change of luck between winning the ticket, and losing his life.

I had caught it from the part where he fills up his water container in the house, and grabs a few things from the cabinet (missing his Swiss Army Knife), before leaving for the trail. How far into it was that? I'm wondering how much I missed, and if it was anything significant.
the shot where he misses the knife is 2 minutes in. you didn't miss anything.
Agreed. I don't think I would have viewed the Titanic much differently whether Jack lived or died in the end, and I didn't even know the ending going into it (yes, I know, almost everybody knew the ending beforehand but me). If found it to be relatively insignificant, other than it signifying his change of luck between winning the ticket, and losing his life.
i was referring to the ship sinking :)

alasdair

This movie was intense. Just watched it. Almost passed out during the cutting scene. That was horrifying.

This is the second time in the last few weeks that I've seen a movie where I already knew what was going to happen and how it was going to end, yet I was still thoroughly entertained. The first was with Into the Wild. Both were really moving and inspiring stories.

^Both pretty good cautionary tales about the extreme dangers of camping, hiking, living in remote areas without total preparation.
James Franco's an interesting actor. Pretty damn versatile. Emile Hirsch followed up that performance with Speed Racer. I don't know what that has to do with anything. I also had no idea Sean Penn directed Into the Wild.