• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction ⫸Should I Try HEROIN?⫷

I was talking to my kids about drugs the other day.
And I had one bit of good news.
Nobody in their circle does heroine. Or opiates. Everybody seems to be on cocaine, weed, ecstasy, MDMA, mushrooms.
This gives me hope for my country. Heroine is mostly a problem up north. Some states seem to be doing a better job of controlling drugs than other states.

Absolutely not... Doing dope is the only thing I regret in my life... It's absolutely not worth it at all.... Not the like movies where the people look as if they are having an orgasm when they shoot up .. it's nothing like that lol.. Once you do it and catch a habit (which sneaks up on you) it literally becomes a daily/hourly race to get yourself "unsick". It's all about figuring out how to get money and get more, alllll day, every day, and you never even get high lol. It's a miserable existence and I would not reccomend it to anyone ever.

This is basically Betteridge's law, if you still have the where withall to be asking this question the answer is no.

Absolutely not... Doing dope is the only thing I regret in my life... It's absolutely not worth it at all.... Not the like movies where the people look as if they are having an orgasm when they shoot up .. it's nothing like that lol.. Once you do it and catch a habit (which sneaks up on you) it literally becomes a daily/hourly race to get yourself "unsick". It's all about figuring out how to get money and get more, alllll day, every day, and you never even get high lol. It's a miserable existence and I would not reccomend it to anyone ever.
You asked and by doing so answered with no, walk away is my advice.

It's all about figuring out how to get money and get more, alllll day, every day, and you never even get high lol. It's a miserable existence and I would not reccomend it to anyone ever.
Of course if you do it every day the highs will not be as peaky as if you do it once in a while, and they won't last in the same potency, but to that to saying you don't get effects from it, is quite bullshitty, in my experience. I hope this doesn't 'offend you'. But I´ve known a lot of people saying this of other opiates (and other drugs) and then when I have a daily habit I have verified is complete bullshit. Of course tolerance builds up but you still get effects from it. If you would get no effects from it absolutely everyone would stop. In the back on your mind people want to keep using because they actually prefer a mild high than sobriety. But honestly and responsibility is something that people that complain about their habit don't tend to practice...those are my two cents. peace.

Of course if you do it every day the highs will not be as peaky as if you do it once in a while, and they won't last in the same potency, but to that to saying you don't get effects from it, is quite bullshitty, in my experience. I hope this doesn't 'offend you'. But I´ve known a lot of people saying this of other opiates (and other drugs) and then when I have a daily habit I have verified is complete bullshit. Of course tolerance builds up but you still get effects from it. If you would get no effects from it absolutely everyone would stop. In the back on your mind people want to keep using because they actually prefer a mild high than sobriety. But honestly and responsibility is something that people that complain about their habit don't tend to practice...those are my two cents. peace.
Yep, I think at the latest when the tolerance effect overtakes whatever reward you used to get, it's time to re-think your relationship to the stuff.

I'm with you on that; but you are obviously disregarding how far the indoctrination goes on an institutional level. You're routinely told that opiates have this somehow unique property to just 'take over' your will, re-wire or even 'hijack' your brain, literally enslave you FOR LIFE ffs. NONE of which is based in biological fact, but tragically too many people buy it as a ready explanation for their troublesome desires for drugs, and it becomes a self- fulfilling prophecy.

Last edited:
I love drugs. Most of them love me back. Heroin felt that way too. I still can't figure out what it is about the numb itch that kept me coming back. Ignorance of the true consequence I had to discover for myself. Like touching a hot stove. At best, heroin is a warm hug. But it doesn't like letting go. And the hug gets tighter and tighter each time. Until eventually you're all alone in a cold room hugging yourself, freezing and sweating and sick. Sensitive to all the caustic senses, the putrid smell of your own body, the sting of touch against your skin like raw nerve endings, feeling it will never end. Knowing deep down that there are only three options.

Use more heroin and feel unsick, the only high you've had for a long time.

Die and be done with the agony of existing in such a state.

Continue toiling in this neverending sensory hell. Feeling each. Miserable. Second. Until your permanently altered brain reopens the battered endorphin factory.

Should I Try Heroin? MegaThread

overcoming_heroin_addiction_helping_others.jpg

With the recent abundance of “Should I try heroin?” or “Is trying H a good idea?” threads, we have decided it would be worth it to create a megathread discussing the topic, where all posts relating to such debate can be compiled.

If you have this question, or any question specifically about your first time trying H that falls under the category of “Should a non-heroin user suddenly decide to try H for the first time?” please post here.

For basic info about heroin itself, please refer to the Heroin Megathread. For info on IV and technique/complications, refer to the IV Megathread.

So, to start off, the basic number one question on your minds if you’re looking at this thread and debating this choice is,

Should I try heroin for the first time?

Obviously, the short and to the point answer would be… NO FUCKING WAY. Of course, we were all young/inexperienced once before we first tried heroin, so we know things are often a lot more complicated then “just say no”.

Some internal questions to ask yourself first:

- Why do you want to try heroin to begin with?

Many people, especially young people, have this glamorous and romantic image of heroin in their head. They see the idea of being a “junky” as this very chic and glorified notion. Maybe your favorite musicians all did heroin, maybe your favorite movies are about heroin, etc.

Using dope is far from glamorous. The reality of heroin addiction is brutal, grotesque, and filthy.

- What do you seek to gain from trying heroin?

Really, what is it you think this drug is going to add to your life? Or are you just bored and want to check it off your list? Here’s where being really honest with yourself is a must. After reading this whole thread, and many of the other heroin related threads on BL, you should have a pretty clear idea of just how ravaged ones life can become from heroin. What positives do you see coming from making this choice?

heroin_stamps.jpg

Justifications to try heroin:

1. I’m only going to try it once.

Famous last words. When evaluating this decision, remember that basically EVERY heroin addict in the world said this at one point in the beginning. Nobody is born with the goal of becoming a raging dope fiend. It is a progressive path and it does not happen over night.

Heroin is one of the most additive drugs, and has ruined so many lives for a reason. The honest chances of you only trying this drug once are incredibly slim to almost non-existent.

2. I will be able to control my use. I won’t get addicted.

Again, this is also something we have all said before. Believe it or not, even long-term heroin addicts sometimes use this justification to relapse. For the beginning user, you may think that because you’ve tried other drugs here and there and didn’t become wrapped up in them, that you’ll be able to control your heroin use as well. This is an incredibly dangerous notion. It is not about will power. Heroin is an incredibly powerful drug with a high so intense, that it makes you want to continue using it, even though it is destroying everything in your life.

Those of us who have been using for a very long time have come across thousands of addicts in our time. Do you want to know how many we have met that were ever able to control their use or “chip” for any real period of time? Practically none. Sure you may be able to hold it together for a few months or even a few years, but almost everybody slips up, and before you know it, you are in way too deep.

3. If I do get addicted, I’ll just stop. How hard can it be?

Stopping heroin is one of the hardest things you’ll ever do in your life. Not only is the psychological aspect incredibly intense and all consuming, but also once you develop a physical dependency, you will have withdrawals, and that is something you cannot be prepared for.

Coming off heroin is an incredibly painful and brutal experience, one that only gets worse the more times you do it. You will not be able to just shake it off. This is why the majority of people who become dependent on heroin, end up having a life long battle.

4. I don’t have regular access to it, so I can’t do it everyday, even if I wanted to.

This is a very common justification. Many beginning users considering trying heroin have come across it out of the blue or have to travel very far to get it. They think that this will force them into being casual users or never trying it again.

The truth is that after getting a taste for heroin, you will slowly start to work on getting more opportunities. Many users end up driving hours and hours from home just to score dope. Believe this, you WILL find a way to do it again, even if it is very sporadic at first, eventually you will get a source for it, and all bets will be off.

20110511-195100-g.jpg

Common first-timer questions:

- How long can I use for without getting withdrawals?

This varies from person to person. However, for the majority of people, in the beginning, it takes a good few weeks-months of using everyday before a physical dependency is developed. For some people it happens much sooner, others later.

The danger is you never know when that extra day of using is going to be too much. The more you use heroin, the more your body gets used to it. The fact of the matter is, if you use heroin everyday, or with any real regularity greater than once or twice a week, you will eventually become dependent.

Also, after you pick up your first habit, you become dependent again much faster in the future. It will eventually get to the point where even using 2 days in a row, is enough to create withdrawals.

- How fast does an overdose happen?

There is a common misconception that OD’s, especially from IV heroin, happen instantly. While this is true in a lot of instances, overdoses can happen at any point even up to an hour after using (and if one is redosing throughout a short period of time, can happen even after an hour or more).

- Do you get addicted after one use?

While you do not develop a physical dependency after one use (it takes many days in the beginning of using in a row for this to happen) a psychological addiction can start to develop very early. It is a myth that a person becomes addicted in any way after one use, but it is true that’s all it takes sometimes to start you down a path of future addiction.

***For some stories on how heroin (and other drugs) have impacted peoples lives, check out the Personal Accounts of Addiction thread. There are some very real and raw entries there on the reality of how heroin can destroy your life.

***Also check out the Case Studies thread, and realize how easily this all ends up happening.

Note: This thread was meant as a very basic guide. Obviously there is much more to say and talk about, so if you have any specific questions relating to the topic, feel free to make a post here.

Good luck, all.
this needs to be done for methamphetamine , had i read something along the lines of this maybe i wouldnt be caught in the rabbity hole that is an IV “goofball” (heroin/meth in same time shot , occasionally fentanyl if the H isn’t there) addiction.

No do not try heroin because in this day and age it's all Fentanyl now. I used to do Heroin alot going back about 6 or 7 years ago, but it was still Heroin, occasionally you would get dope that had Fentanyl in it but it was in a low ratio where now it's no heroin at all just straight Fentanyl and I overdosed, stopped breathing and turned completely blue from sniffing only one bag, and it took the paramedics 3 shots of Narcan before I woke up. Where 7 years ago I could do 3 to 5 bags easily without overdosing. So don't try heroin. I mean you will do what you want but at least take this message into consideration

Sure. If you feel like watching your life most likely spiral out of control at some point. If you become dependent/addicted, it will only be a matter of time before the drug seeking behavior takes over.

Coming from a former junkie of 17 years. I wasted the best years of my life working my dick into the dirt just to stick myself with syringes to hopefully stay well enough to just to be able to work. I’ve thrown away more than I care to remember.

Stay good people.

Always, fair winds and following seas

My sister's addicted to black. I wish I could help her but I dunno what to say. I wish there was advise to get people sober that worked. I'm sober but I was hit by a car and spent 6 months in a coma. I got sober in the coma.
Maybe I should hit her with a car. Jk

For those who smoke heroin, you can develop a disorder known as leukoencephalopathy, which is the progressive damage of white matter in the brain that leads to death.

Long term heroin abuse results in changes in an addict's brain that changes brain function after long term use.

Heroin users are also 20-30x more likely to die than non drug users according to WHO, which can be found in the above link.
I tried heroin once .....once upon a time. Then, I tried it again...and again and I ri send and I repeated, got rinsed and depleted now am all but completed 3 yrs clean.....of heroin anyway

If your ever using alone, protect yourself with a spotter. Our operators will ask you for your exact location, type of substance that is planned to be used, and how your taking your supply. If during the course of the call if you stop responding, we will get you help either through your predetermined responder or by notifying your local emergency services. Call 1-800-972-0590 for stigma free spotting 24 hours a day.

How does heroin compare with meth in terms of how addictive and destructive it is?
Same amount imo. Only difference between the two is that heroin overdoses are more common and fatal. Especially with the adulteration of heroin with fentanyl. Meth is much more likely to be relatively pure. Heroin is also more strongly physically addictive. Meth withdrawals consist of mostly lethargy and depression, not the full sickness like heroin.

Both have the same potential to destroy your life, very quickly, especially if you're using more direct ROAs.

How does heroin compare with meth in terms of how addictive and destructive it is?
i’ve been addicted to both and i will say heroin is more likely to kill you fast but meth will kill you slow and that is much worse. heroin is easier to hide in my opinion. i remember i was 17 or so , just started Injecting meth and i walked out of my room and i was so fucked off i — to this day do not know what gave it away because i felt normal , walking out of my room my whole family just knew. they we’re crying and yelling at me , i never wanted to make my own family feel so terrible but i was so numb because of the meth i didn’t care , didn’t respond to them and just left the house. that is destruction. a rock tore apart my everything and continues to. heroin i was able to quit with aid of sublocade , meth i have no clue how to stop using it.

i should add though , for every junkie it’s different. maybe they can’t hide heroin like i can but can hide meth just fine. either way , once you begin to inject either of these drugs …. you will die sooner or later unless you quit.