• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction ⫸INJECTIONS: I.V. FAQs & Info MEGATHREAD⫷

That "zing", did it feel like an electrical shock? That sounds like you knicked or irritated a nerve, if so. Forgetting to release the tie/tourniquet prior to injecting, then removing the bevel/needle too quickly as your friend yelled at you for, can cause that vein to blow and the area will will quickly swell up. This is from the pressure buildup from the tourniquet/tie, probably being too tight, then a sudden release of the pressure can cause the vein to spit or leak some of the substance back out. Even just under the skin.

Sounds like an irritated nerve, which is for the tingling pins and needles in your hand. There is a nerve there that runs from your elbow down to your hand, and if it's irritated, it can irritate that whole area, elbow down. One time I slept in it wrong and compressed it. My pinky finger and ring finger stayed asleep and tingly "pins and needles" and numbness like I missed a shot of coke in that half of my hand and to mid forearm for most of the day after waking. I could be wrong, but is it the radial nerve, or basilic. I forget, google it if you want to know exactly.

As for the pain and stinging, after likely blowing the vein up there, it's definitely going to ache and be stiff for a few days. Like I said, after the vein was likely blown, it prolly ejected or leaked some of the substance out. Usually it would be spat out of the injection hole, but not always. Sometimes it will just spill into surrounding tissue.

This all is just an educated guess on what happened though. If you are really worried about it, and your condition does not improve over the next couple days, just go on and see a doctor.

It's hard to find comfort and peace of mind and help for things like this on the internet. First we can't see you and visually examine you, and most of us are not doctors. The best we can do is give advice and suggestions, which leads to the next point. Secondly, asking for help for things like this on the internet will lead you to a lot of mixed answers and unfortunately a lot of bad advice and suggestions. It will most likely lead you thru hours and hours if searching for that answer that leaves you comfortable and happy and satisfied that you will be OK. You could easily spare those hours and hours, and go to the ER and get some real live medical help, then leave there truly satisfied that you will be OK, and know precisely what happened to you.

So I gave you my opinion on what it could have been that happened, but my advice and real suggestion is that if the condition does not improve or worsens over the next couple days. Seek medical assistance promptly.

Around 10 pm I prepared my last shot of meth, it had been bout 8 hours since my last one and I had been drinking powerade since 6. Anyway, tie off 2 inches above left median cubitor, hit, get flash, pull back plunger and register, begin. Inject about 10cc of 20cc shot when I feel a burn so I pull out. Figuring i had moved a little.

The veins on my left arm are all fucked nowadays so I try my right cubitor, however, usual process and upon full insertion of short tip (I think 1/4 inch? 29g insulin) I feel a sharp pain so I immediately pull out. I didn't get a flash of blood, visually I looked like I was aiming for the vein, anyway I go back to left arm for the cephalic 2 inches from my wrist i used this one for years but haven't in about 6 months, after adding hot water to my shot (I've had problems with my blood clotting minutes after getting a miss I find this helps) I inject successfully.

Now it's noon next day and my right arm feels kinda just weird. On my inside elbow I feel a throbbing sensation along with a dull pain. No numbness, redness, swelling, area feels a little warm but other than the red dot you can't tell a needle was there. Idk what I did, but it feels funny to extend my arm so ive been keeping it folded. My miss on the right arm doesn't hurt too bad, ive had worse definitely, its swollen slightly and a little red but I have clindomyacin and doxycycline which I took along with ibuprofen.
No sleep yet. Day 3? Or maybe it's 4. All I know is im done with this devil drug for a while.

I have been shooting speed for a while now, and ive always been pretty careful and not misse or done too much, this is a question on either quality of drugs, or injection problem.
I know what feeling I'm gnna get from a shot of meth, its always pretty close to the same, but 2 days ago i mixed a pretty good size morning shot after eating dome cereal i hit my usual good elbow crook, felt first sharp pins n needls in my face and got the cough, but then proceeded to not feel higher,nor more awake, jus kinda short of breath, lightheaded and weird. I didnt a small shot of a different persons stuff and felt a lil better for a bit. The day only got worse with nausea and migraine till i fell asleep.
Was this quality of drugs? Artery? Cotton fever? Help me out

Histamine. I get the same feeling off a batch here and there.

Keep a cup of cold water with you. When the pins n needle feeling starts, rub the cold water in that area. It goes away faster.

^Yeah on reflection I'd get the same effect from 150-200mg morphine also minus a high due to tolerance, though meth and morphine won't lookalike.

Went crazy trying to find a vein....for three hours

So it's been about five years since I banged meth on a daily basis but I was going through Roxie WD and it sound good at the time. All I had was three points and after four days straight they were very dull. But I was stupid and high but coming down so I wanted that next shot. BAD. I could not hit anywhere in my normal places. I'd register, start to plunge, feel pain, stop, try to re-register and it was as if my veins would just jump off the point. So I'd pull out. Adjust the syrienge to push get any clots or blockages out. This went on over and over. I was determined and obsessed. I had no concept of time. After the first 1 1/2 hours of trying desperately to hit a vein, I couldn't. I tried at least 60-75 times, all over my arms, legs, my hands, my feet. I got the mottled skin along my calfs and feet so I knew I was screwed. All my capillaries had withdrawn and there was no blood to be found. I still tried. Meth...
So that was a day 1/2 ago. I have bruising all along both arms hands legs. A couple of small red lumps on my hands, wrists and front of my legs where I thought I had it but didn't. I hit the artery on the front of my shin. I could hear the frothy blood under the skin as I tried massaging it down. Wow. It was really unbelievable. Unbelievably stupid. I knew what I was doing was incredibly unsterile but I thought it would be alright at the time. Actually, I wasn't thinking. Well, I'm in a lot of pain now from the swelling and have severe chills. My chest hurts pretty bad sometimes too. I'm sure I probably shot a little air and whatever the fuck else was in there into either my veins or the tissue around it. It was so weird tho because I didn't want to quit trying.(I was having to work and couldn't afford to crash. I wanted that shot so bad. I finally gave up out of frustration, exhaustion, the realization of how long I had been at it and the horror of what I was doing to myself with that dull ass spike. I just shot it in my mouth and swallowed it. I snorted the rest for another day. So 5 days of constant physical work, no food, very little sleep or water. I'm out now and was finally was able to get rehydrated and eat something. I'm too freaked out to rest really. I'm kinda scared, maybe paranoid that I've done something really bad to myself. I wasn't trying to kill myself with a life threatening bacterial infection, etc. etc. Theres so much that could go wrong, ya know. It's too soon to tell if anything is infected. I will go to a doctor if I absolutely have to. And face "the music" and humiliation in my personal and professional life that would come with a medical visit, especially if something really bad develops.
I guess I'm really asking is if anyone else ever done anything like this trying to hit the vein? And what's up with the complete obsession that overtakes all rationing thought? I know that's just the drug.

^yep. Been there done that but on long IV cocaine runs. It doesn't help that my veins aren't great to start, so once they constrict from a lot of use...I've spent hours trying to hit. And yes, the time is a blur. You don't even realize how much passes. And coke doesn't do shit orally, so I would keep going, covered in blood and bruises...knowing that I had dulled the syringe to the point it wasn't going to hit. And sometimes, all I had to do was go out about 6 blocks up the street to the pharmacy for new ones. Sometime I would when the realization hot that I wasn't going to be able to hit the shot. Other times it was middle of night and I had no option.

Strangely, if I had a scar tissue type spot I could hit with a dull rig better than a new one

I also had a dope habit...and sometimes would be so so thankful when sick and managed to hit a vein in the first few tries.

And I could hit (or not) all sorts of places. Fingers, shin, abdomen...you name it. I never learned to hit the femoral and honestly probably should have, it would've saved some long days.

That's probably a big part of what keeps me from going back to it. Every time I think of the bell ringer I also think of the bruised arms and legs, frustration trying over n over to hit...

But yeah, you're not the only one to go through that. And for all I did, I really didn't get infections and stuff.

Edit: you're fine, it's a mega thread and you're on topic. But for a new thread, on front page of any forum where all the threads are listed there is a "start new thread" in upper left.

This is a pretty old picture, but I figured I'd share it for everyone else's benefit. This is what happened after I missed a shot of heroin while I was still a new IV user.

1BZfeiQ.jpg

i think i might have touched a nerve last night while doing a shot in the crook of my elbow. overuse of the vein has made it partially collapse and harder to hit, but its one of the last in my arm so i use it every couple of days but give it regular breaks. anyway, i had to poke around like 4 times before it registered. was very dark blood, and i pushed the plunger down with no pain whatsoever. but i wake up this morning and find that half of the top and half of the bottom of my arm are numb/pins and needles/almost raw feeling, from elbow to thumb. now its about 18 or so hours later and the numbness near thumb is starting to fade but my forearm is still a combination of numb and that strange raw feeling.

any thoughts?

When you had this miss, how did you treat it? Did it go away with self treatment and how long did it take to heal?

How irrational is it to think that you can get hep c from injecting a pill someone with hepC touched/trasferred biological material onto? I read that hep C can survive like 16 days outside and it scared the shit out of me for life from injecting....which is a good thing, but I still had my weak moments where I did it and then I become paranoid as all hell that the person I got pills from gave me hep

Last edited:
How irrational is it to think that you can get hep c from injecting a pill someone with hepC touched/trasferred biological material onto? I read that hep C can survive like 16 days outside and it scared the shit out of me for life from injecting....which is a good thing, but I still had my weak moments where I did it and then I become paranoid as all hell that the person I got pills from gave me hep

Unless the person with hepc got their blood on the pill you injected you should be alright. If you're that worried about hepc you should just stop now. You can get hepc from your own dirty needles. Even if you don't have it and you don't share needles.

Question, how do you know if blowing a vein is serious enough for medical attention?

You should ideally go in if you believe you've collapsed a vein. In the interim, stop using that vein and find a new one.

What are you shooting?

Hi guys, I've been an on again off again heroin smoker for a while now but only just recently started shooting it up. Ive kinda got the hang of it already so im not missing as often but why do i have a small bruise around the top half of my forearms with some discoloration around it which also seems to be spreading ??? the bruise itself doesnt hurt so bad, it just feels like your typical bruise. So Why is this happening and do all beginners usually have these same problems as me ??

Im not sure exactly if this is the spot to ask questions, since im new to using this forum or anything like this so yeah.please let me know if im at the wrong spot lol.. I would appreciate some insight into my enquiry thanks !

Occasionally when I'm doing a shot and having trouble hitting the vein and registering I will start to take the point out and start over it will suddenly register and I can do my shot but the needle tip isn't flush with my skin...I can definitely see the needle. I mean I obviously don't like doing it this way but I've tried it with brand new points/short tips/long tips/differing angles and rotating veins. The only vein that I haven't has this issue with is the crook of my left arm. Sometimes it feels like I'm in the vein but no register and I start to pull out slow and there it is but it makes me uncomfortable to do it that way.
So what's going on with this? Does anyone else have this issue. I've tried several types of rigs and most of them I've had this issue so I was assuming it was my technique but tonight I had a more experienced friend over and he had same issues trying to hit me but no issues with his shots. For reference tonight we used BD 3/10 5"16 31g and for me to get a register at all there was at least 4mm of the needle sticking out of my arm. Please help me fix this!! What am I doing wrong?

2 days ago I was hammered at a bar and at some point left with two guys I have never met. Next thing I know it's 10 am and I am being dropped of at my apt. Now there is some parts I do remember. One is being shot up by one of the guys into the crook of my elbow. Although I have never shot up or done meth before after talking to a friend we both concluded it was probably meth. I don't know how much or how many times but the past 48 hours have been horrible.

Swelling in crook of elbow
Numbness still a little over 48 hrs later
Pain when I extend my arm
Extreme vomiting for a day
Some diarrhea
Sleep was not super easy but achievable

Since I have never done this I did goto the hospital 24hr later. Scared out of my mind about all the possibility coming from not knowing them or what. Mostly complaing about my arm. The nurse came out looked at it said it was swollen but that's to be expected. Only come back if the pain goes up my arm or turns red. Is this correct advice?

Does everything sound okay?

Should I go back to the doc?

Should I get fully drug tested?
Just to make sure... I honestly don't remember much.

Don't worry I am getting tested for anything that could be transmitted as well. How long should I wait for that?

Even though I was drunk and don't remember much, please don't think I am not taking full responsibility for my actions. Drinking is a problem for me and apparently making dumb decisions.

Thank you for the help