TDS Your Favorite Quotes; Vs "I Have a Dream"

"If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough."

Meister Eckhart

Reminds me of Mary Oliver's poem:

“When it's over, I want to say: all my life
I was a bride married to amazement.
I was the bridegroom, taking the world into my arms.

When it is over, I don't want to wonder
if I have made of my life something particular, and real.
I don't want to find myself sighing and frightened,
or full of argument.

I don't want to end up simply having visited this world.”

I started the 'favorite quotes' thread back in 2006 (archieved now), it's made so many threads since then I'm so happy to see it around still :)

I wrote one recently I wanted to share.

"Logic isn't always rational, but rational is always logical."

In my experience, good public policy is best shaped by the dispassionate analysis of what in practice has worked, or not. Policy based on common assumptions and popular sentiments can become a recipe for mistaken prescriptions and misguided interventions.
~Kofi Annan

The Laughing Heart by Charles Bukowski

your life is your life
don’t let it be clubbed into dank submission.
be on the watch.
there are ways out.
there is light somewhere.
it may not be much light but
it beats the darkness.
be on the watch.
the gods will offer you chances.
know them.
take them.
you can’t beat death but
you can beat death in life, sometimes.
and the more often you learn to do it,
the more light there will be.
your life is your life.
know it while you have it.
you are marvelous
the gods wait to delight
in you.

Failures, repeated failures, are finger posts on the road to achievement. One fails forward toward success.
~C. S. Lewis

just be an earthworm who only knows two words, "let go, let go, let go, let go",

He might be ragged and cold, or even starving, but so long as he could read, think and watch for meteors, he was, as he said, free in his own mind. - Down and out in Paris and London

“Man shouldn’t be able to see his own face – there’s nothing more sinister. Nature gave him the gift of not being able to see it, and of not being able to stare into his own eyes.

Only in the water of rivers and ponds could he look at his face. And the very posture he had to assume was symbolic. He had to bend over, stoop down, to commit the ignominy of beholding himself.

The inventor of the mirror poisoned the human heart.”
― Fernando Pessoa

“Each night, when I go to sleep, I die. And the next morning, when I wake up, I am reborn.”

Gandhi?

(sounds like something that would be in the Gita)

Last edited:
2398683f9ec94ce30588bc5fddf0e395.jpg

Beware of all enterprises which require new clothes.

-David Mamet, by way of HD Thoreau

Your favorite quotes (Part one of Quote Pictures) - Post your favorites!

I'm not the facebook posting picture guy but I do love quotes and reading them about the person who spoke those words, and I enjoy writing a lot myself.

I've tended (the last year or so) to look up quotes on google but when I type in the search string I put "<insert quote here> picture quote" so for example I may type in if I'm looking for one of my favorite Oscar Wilde quotes:

I'm only satisfied with the best quote picture - then when the results come up I check images. I've found the pictures can make the mood of the quote hit you different, and I also enjoyed photoshop a lot before, so I can appreicate the time some people put into making some of these images.

Anyway, I thought we could share some here, so feel free to do what I do and allow not only words, but pictures, of those who've spoken the words that speak how we may be feeling - allow you to share.

-dp

its-never-to-late-810x810.jpg

i-have-nothing-to-2597.jpg

e9877c74dc357b7a0d405e5e056275c8.jpg