• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

You do not have the right to believe anything you want

I can kind of see where your coming from here snafu :)

really what is school if not a way to tell you what you should and should not believe.

then think of the antivaxers, they have done so much damage.

though the right, I do not think is case.

more like the expectation.

you are expected to know and believe certain things based on your education.

you can believe otherwise but I do not think you will playing with the other kids when they find out.

so more like you are expected to believe what is considered the norm.

then you get countries that are under sharia law.

this is when your title for the thread is 100% correct.

thankfully I live in a secular country and the only form of punishment for going against the grain is the others won't believe in you.

Yeah I bet the CCP would love a way of determining and prosecuting beliefs.

But even they know that’s beyond them, practically or implementably.

Well I just said I wasn't explaining properly.

What do you think about the article?

I think the article is decent and I largely agree with what is said but I also think it could be fleshed out a little more and glosses over some points.

For example, in the first paragraph, it posits "‘I believe climate change is a hoax whatever anyone else says, and I have a right to believe it!’ But is there such a right?" and then never really answers that question. I would argue that yes, you have the right to believe climate change is a hoax, as in you will not go to jail simply for believing that. How true or responsible that belief might be is really a different discussion.

It's also telling which examples the article chooses to use, climate change, sexism, racism, etc. That's why I brought up a man believing he was a woman in my first post. Would the author be as willing to apply this principle in that situation as in the aforementioned?

My favorite part of the article is this paragraph:

"The falsity of a belief is a necessary but not sufficient condition for a belief to be morally wrong; neither is the ugliness of the content sufficient for a belief to be morally wrong. Alas, there are indeed morally repugnant truths, but it is not the believing that makes them so".

I agree that we have a certain responsibility to vet our beliefs and not spread myths and rumors. However, I would argue that how this responsibility plays out differs from individual to individual. For example, a single mother with three kids and two jobs has a different responsibility to know about climate change than a journalist who writes about climate change. The single mother might be skeptical of climate change but simply not have the time to do her own research on the matter.

Holding a belief is one thing.

Expressing it is another. Sharing with intent to impregnate and influence, a step further.

That’s effectively acting on it.

But you could argue, all of our actions in life can be affected or influenced by any and all beliefs.

But I will still argue, you can’t really prosecute a belief, only action in line with the true consequences of the actions.

I have a very untypical belief system myself. If our governments could monitor it and sue me, I’d have been hung a decade ago,

Because I’m so heavily anti-establishment.

The psychopathic Elite, believe (I believe, lol but don’t tell them I said that just in case) they are justified in how they control and deceive and attack humanity.

Their minds are twisted and possessed. They believe they are the most gifted, advanced, and deserved.

They are the real sick ones. They don’t have their own minds. Evil has theirs.

From that top layer, spreads down all sickness and disorder into society.

Last edited:
they still persecute people for there beliefs think of falun gong.
I know, it shocked me long time ago to see how they do actually try and properly big brother the Chinese citizens views. Make examples of people, as a deterrence.

But it will be extremely limited, unenforceable or even able to monitor or extract in all or many cases. Torture methods I’d not put beyond them. Even cunning psychological manipulation, bribery or threat. To just draw a simple admittance to a particular belief, then take that to a court of law, with the necessary proof.

It’s just taking things a step too far on the intrusive scale IMO. If it was actually one bit about protecting the people, creating a better and fairer society…

But it just isn’t, quite the opposite. All about state control, oppression, fear, control of consciousness.

I think we should be allowed to believe what ever we want.

I don't think that what people believe should have anything to do with the way a country is run as it often impedes on others beliefs

and can cause racism and bias against other people.

most importantly though I do not think that people should use there beliefs as a reason to harm others.

in secular countries I can only see a problem with what people believe if they act on it in a harmful way towards others.

I have many friends that are Muslim.

they are gentle and kind beyond measure :)

still some people find something else from that religion and use it to excuse terrorism and horrific acts.

I would never want my friends to change there faith due to a minority being for lack of a better word crazy.

if we all believed the same thing this place would get pretty boring.

As long as our intention is strictly pure and clean, with zero desire towards unjustified suffering or harmful consequences to others, we can’t be chastised for our beliefs, which even when grossly mistaken, are commonly not our own fault.

I’m all for openness and education, working collectively towards the healthiest, wisest ideology for the best of all. And absolute ultimate truth. I’m not at all interested in anything but that.

It’s so hard to determine though. It’s beyond us all as mortals. Free us up to work together peacefully though, remove sinister oppression and control, we could make a much better more peaceful world, I strongly believe, where beliefs would automatically be more aligned with the actual truth on the whole, by many degrees.

Yet still never be exclusively accurate, correct or supported. Alexa doesn’t believe, is how I see it.

She just calculates and acts unconsciously. Beliefs require consciousness. Will never be so black and white and easy to keep true.

I ain't read this article, it's from eon, it's to close to ions, don't believe in it..

"

The problem of forming a genetic defence

Up to 40% of the population may possess the MAOA-L gene. As 40% of us are not criminals with a proclivity for extreme violence, this causes problems for those who affirm the role of genetics in criminal behaviour. Yet I suggest all that need be proven for us to consider alternative punitive measures for those with MAOA-L is that they are genuinely significantly more likely to commit violent crimes, not that all MAOA-L individuals do so. To this extent, the legal argument is not dependent on a hard, scientific calculation as long as there is a substantiated general suggestion of increased risk. This level of support does seem to be stacking up. A Finnish study suggested that 5-10% of all violent crime can be linked to genetic factors, and offenders who had committed ten or more serious violent crimes were 2.66 times more likely to be MAOA-L individuals. "

40% of us may have the gene.

only 5-10% in the finnish study linked genetics to violent crimes.

I think you will find with most things its nature and nurture.

finally I also believe you should be allowed to be a drug addict if you want.

if you harm no one else then who's business is it anyway ?

Last edited:
but alexa will never fall in love :)

we are but fish in a bowl and we have no idea what is outside the bowl.
I keep saying to my mum, who is as overly neurotic by nature as a woman can be, emotion, unstable at that, will always come first…

(It doesn’t help with severe anxiety disorder, however well the meaning.

I need emotional robustness around me. To not feel so intunely other’s every emotion, fear and pain)

…I need her to be more like Alexa. I could see Alexa being a helpful supporting tool for emotional support as a simple listener, who I know will not be affected emotionally by anything I say or do.

Like…Alexa, I’m having a bad trip, a panic attack, or this allergy is a nightmare. Remind me never to take Kratom or eat banana again.

My mum, I cannot share a pittance of my life and struggle without her being massively emotionally affected by it.

But keeping all stum, not simply letting out, is just as bad.

And she’s no control or awareness over her emotions, more than any person I know.

Like a fly on fly paper or a helpless moth in the wind.

(I tell her this shit too, jokingly, but seriously too, to try and help her recognise she has more choice and control over her emotions. Right now, she’s driving me nuts just the way she shouts up to me in my room, having detected signs of budrot on our weed plants outdoors following weeks of rain.

Just… calm. But she is all emotion, overreaction, with no self awareness at all, no control.

Alexa would simply inform, not wailing and screaming in disproportion for no actual functional benefit. Just a massive anxiety trigger.

I am very mindful to calmly communicate regardless of the gravity. Content first, not just outpouring emotion.

thanks i do see
there is more then one gene induce criminalization, and we don't know all of them, and i believe 101% that every action you do from your birth to death is genetic related and you can't control it, if you used a drug to control your behaviors this mean you gene was give you open minded personality and send you to seek treatment which is also gene related.

at least your now stating this as a belief and not a hard fact.

as I said I believe you can believe what ever you want.

in fact I encourage it with everyone I know :)

but when your hurt alexa could not give you a hug like mum can :)

maybe having both would be cool.
Yes that’s the idea. I’m not trying to “do away with” anybody or emotions. I just have a really life threatening anxiety disorder, and my mum is the biggest driving force of it.

I’m more conscious of her emotions than she is. My benzo addiction was picked up and escalated as an attempt to cope with this constant trigger to my anxiety.

With the current government we don't have the right to believe anything we want, cancel culture, political correctness, and no more freedom of speech.

@Perforated am I allowed to post this in this thread, I don't know what the rules are anymore and what forums I can post what except for the sex and love forum,if its against the rules on here, I'll delete, but I'm just expressing my feelings and answering the the question.

sorry to hear that.

I suffer from PTSD and anxiety as well and I know that the environment your in makes a big difference.

sorry to hear that.

I suffer from PTSD and anxiety as well and I know that the environment your in makes a big difference.

my PTSD was not from genetics either it was from torture.
Sorry to hear that.

Wow you were tortured, what country and for what,may I ask?