• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

XANAX: Withdrawal is kicking my ass

billyj

Greenlighter
Been taking/abusing xanax every day for about 2 years. Have tried tapering, right down to half a pill a day and substituting valium etc. The withdrawal is SO BAD that even LOWERING the dose or changing to Valium still produces insomnia, hallucinatory anxiety, fear of impending doom, physical stiffness - the whole lot. I'm kind of worried that my best option is to weather it out and see if I can get used to lower doses and eventually phase it out altogether, but does anyone have any experience with this? I know I've earned the withdrawal from overusing, but I didn't plan on spending six months or a year trying to get off them. But the withdrawal is unbearable and at times, very frightening.

negrogesic

Moderator: BDD, OD
Staff member
The withdrawal is definitely terrible. It does get better but you need to do the time unfortunately, and its directly proportional to the crime. It ends eventually.

What are the doses in involved?

Switch to diazepam and taper as much as tolerable, thats all you do unfortunately. I can guarantee ive been through it even worse, not only that but a full two times (i didnt learn my lesson i suppose).

Last edited:

billyj

Greenlighter
Um, earlier in the year it was normal for me to take 2 or 3 1mg xanax at a time, 2 or 3 times a day. But since then i went back down to 1 or 2mg a day. I have really tried to taper, but I'm terrified of going off them altogether as even the tapering is producing quite disruptive withdrawal symptoms.

evo4ever

Bluelighter
2mg a day isn't that high a dose, I've cold turkey'd on 8mg a day which is potentially dangerous! Stabilize ur self on Diazepam, the equivalent dose of Diazepam compared to 2mg Alprazolam is 40mg (Alprazolam 0.5mg = Diazepam 10mg), then slowly taper down then you should be okay!

Imo you would of been better switching to a Clonazepam taper as thats the same in potency, and it has a much longer half life.

Last edited:

euphoricc

Bluelighter
ok................so 2 mg a day u`ll be fine im on 3mg a day klonopin a day have for years....but back to you here get ya self some gabapentin if u cannot get any benzos i wish u the best i have b.u.d. and o.u.d. ahhhhhhhh i suffer from anxiety ill be on kpin or some benzo my whole life yeaaa i know ;)

euphoricc

Bluelighter
listen gabapentin help the most for benzo withdraw why is this now happeng to you >? no dr>? kicked out>? what`s goin on only benzos will end it totally but i take gabapentin also with my klonopin just so i dont eat 5 mgs ill eat 2 and 1800mg of gaba but how long was u taking 2mg a day-?

Wilson Wilson

Moderator: BDD, OD
Staff member
I second considering a clonazepam taper as it's the same potency as alprazolam but with a much longer half-life. If the diazepam switch is difficult for you, clonazepam should be much easier.

pally pete

Bluelighter
Been taking/abusing xanax every day for about 2 years. Have tried tapering, right down to half a pill a day and substituting valium etc. The withdrawal is SO BAD that even LOWERING the dose or changing to Valium still produces insomnia, hallucinatory anxiety, fear of impending doom, physical stiffness - the whole lot. I'm kind of worried that my best option is to weather it out and see if I can get used to lower doses and eventually phase it out altogether, but does anyone have any experience with this? I know I've earned the withdrawal from overusing, but I didn't plan on spending six months or a year trying to get off them. But the withdrawal is unbearable and at times, very frightening.
I've been through countless Benzo withdrawals.. with Xanax being the worst - producing Psychosis. I'd follow the advice of others and switch to Clonazepam (If you can get it??) if Diazepam is difficult for you.. With most Clonazepam coming in 2 mg and 0.5 mg dosed tablets that spilt into quarters.. That should hopefully help you eventually cut down to nothing... Good luck ;)

Painful One

Bluelighter
Two things that helped for benzo withdrawal are doxylamine and cetirizine .
You can obtain both of those over the counter in the U.S.

Doxylamine is a sleep aid (It is in the hypnotic family) and cetirizine is an allergy medication.
These two medications help a lot when in benzo withdrawal. ALOT.

I also think the move to clonazepam is a good idea.
Then you just have to put in the time to taper down slowly.

Getting of Xanax is going to take six months To a year. You must taper it down slowly or you can wreck yourself and have permanent damage. Go slow!

billyj

Greenlighter
Thanks all for the advice - everything is actually going quite well. One week now since last xanax and have been taking 10mg valium twice a day. Feel good, sleeping well, looking to go down to 1 x 10mg valium soon, then taper off that into nothing. I am SO HAPPY to have the xanax out of my system, and xanax to valium taper has (so far) worked quite well for me.

euphoricc

Bluelighter
Thanks all for the advice - everything is actually going quite well. One week now since last xanax and have been taking 10mg valium twice a day. Feel good, sleeping well, looking to go down to 1 x 10mg valium soon, then taper off that into nothing. I am SO HAPPY to have the xanax out of my system, and xanax to valium taper has (so far) worked quite well for me.
HEY-------------------- i am glad u didnt seizure up i would have my dr started abilify today i`m on sublocade-gabapentin-klonopin-remron-abilify- just .5 mg a day of klonopin i am so happy i am that low ill be on for life tho ---------------GOD BLESS HOW ARE YOU NOW NOT TRYING TO SAY THIS BUT I FELT FINE 2 MONTHS AFTER BENZO USAGE THAN IT CAME BACK WITH A VENGENCE--STAY STRONG U OK? I STARTED ABILIFY TODAY ITS HELPING