Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

which is your favourite: Quentin Tarantino film!

Which is your favourite Tarantino film?

• My Best Friend's Birthday (1987)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Reservior Dogs (1992)

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Pulp Fiction (1994)

Votes: 52 55.9%
  • Jackie Brown (1997)

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Kill Bill Vol 1 (2003)

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • Kill Bill Vol 2 (2004)

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • DeathProof (2007)

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters
He wrote True Romance- So I'm going to claim that as my favorite. One of my fave movies of all time actually.

tribal girl said:
Yeah, but this thread is about the movies he directed, not the movies he's written.

Ok. Reservoir dogs then. But True Romance rulez...

It's a great film, yeah.

And I usually can't stand Patricia Arquette, but for some reason, I like her a lot in that movie.

Deathproof. Tarentino did a superb job of making me want all the characters to die:)

^true but it's a nice conversation nonetheless :)

jdizzle said:
He wrote True Romance- So I'm going to claim that as my favorite. One of my fave movies of all time actually.

True Romance and Natural Born Killers were both based on the one screenplay by Tarantino (two different parts of it). One which I'd LOVE to source and read.

He also had uncredited re-writes on a slew of other flicks... post Pulp Fiction. "Crimson Tide" and "It's Pat" (yes, the abortion of a film from Saturday Night Live's Julia Sweeny).

I really appreciate almost all of the guy's work. He is a movie geek who is living the dream.

îndeed!

that's why i only stuck film directorial roles.

he's even directed some tv.

What about Four Rooms or Sin City?? Or am I missing something?

Anyway, I did exactly this:

AmorRoark said:
Oh, I voted for Kill Bill: Vol. 1... tough choice between that and Pulp Fiction

Because Kill Bill 1 was juuuust itty bitty more fun to watch :)

I love this guy's films, but I think he needs to stay on drugs or remain a poor artist... or whatever it was that made his older films better.

Btw, if we're including what he wrote then I would most definitely go with Natural Born Killers!!

Too bad he got off drugs or became rich or whatever it was that made him abandon it ;)

Jamshyd said:
Btw, if we're including what he wrote then I would most definitely go with Natural Born Killers!!

That film is incredibly flawed IMO, which is a shame because it has so much going for it, you know?. The cinematography for one thing, I love all the spliced cuts, and the various formats used throughout. The soundtrack is also really good, and Juliette Lewis is top notch here too. I'd like to know exactly when she stopped bringing us this particular type of performance, because she does nothing but bore me these days!.

Anyway, my favourite clips are the opening scene in the diner:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=e4ijc-P5nhc

Mickey: "What kind of pies do you have?"
Waitress: "We got apple, pecan, cherry, key lime"
Mickey: "which do you recommend?"
Waitress: "Well, Key lime's great, but it's an acquired taste"
Mickey: "I ain't had key lime pie in ten years"
Waitress: "When you had it did you like it?"
Mickey: "No. But that don't mean much, I was a completely different person back then"

For some reason I've always loved that last line.

My other favourite scene is the 'I Love Mallory' pastiche, which is both brilliantly funny, and disturbing at the same time.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iGIBqVwC3FM&feature=related

Although I love many aspects of it, I feel it loses pace somewhere or other. And I think the overall annoyance of Robert Downey Jr's Wayne Gale proves to be way too much for me. :\

Jamshyd said:

Because Kill Bill 1 was juuuust itty bitty more fun to watch :)

I agree. :) I saw it in theaters 4 times when it was initially released.

Reservoir Dogs. Just like Impacto, it means a lot to because it was one of the first really powerful films I ever saw, and when I saw a theatrical version it stuck in my mind even more. =D

I've seen all except Best Friend's Birthday and vote for Kill Bill 1, even though I like both parts pretty much equally.

for those who voted for kill bill vol 1, have you seen the complete japanese version? much better imo!

Mr Blonde said:
What's the difference?
- The opening scene between The Bride and Vernita Green has two alternate angles shown when The Bride asks for a towel instead of keeping the overhead shot.
- In the anime sequence, one of Boss Matsumoto's men has his face smashed into a wall twice, rather then just once.
- In the anime sequence, when O-Ren Ishii kills Matsumoto and tells him to look at her face, she asks him to look at more facial features (nose, chin. etc.) to be recognized, and then before pulling the knife out, there is a close up shot of her moving the knife up his stomach and then finally pulling it out. There are a couple of close up shots of Matsumoto's face as he's dying as well that were eliminated from the US print and then a pan up shot of Matsumoto's blood covered and disemboweled body.
- The "House of Blue Leaves" fight is not only in full color, but features about 9 new shots missing from the US print which include:

- A close up of the first female Crazy 88 (Julie Manase) gargling blood after being pinned to a wodden pillar by a sword. This shot, while cut from the US version of Vol 1, showed up in the end credits of the US cut of Vol 2.
- A shot of The Bride stabbing two Crazy 88s at once using her own sword as well as another Crazy 88's sword.
- A ten foot high super backflip that The Bride executes before landing back down to pop out one of the Crazy 88's eyes. This shot appeared in the TV spot teaser, but disappeared soon after.
- The Bride jabbing a Crazy 88 in the throat with her "snake fist", and the partially armless Sofie Fatale giving a disgusted reaction.
- A shot of another female Crazy 88 attacking only to get slashed in the throat and spraying blood everywhere.
- The first appearance of the "Kid Crazy 88" (the one who gets spanked with the sword). In this shot, we now find out why he's missing a mask later on. As he's about to attack The Bride, she swipes his mask off. We see he's just a kid, and he gives the universal "don't hurt me" sign. The Bride has a look of shock on her face in realizing he's just a kid, so she grabs him, throws him across, knocking 3-4 Crazy 88 into a blood filled mini pool. This shot of the 3-4 falling, while cut from the US version of Vol 1, also showed up in the end credits of the US cut of Vol 2. Overall, this "mini scene" helps establish The Bride's look of surprise even more when she sees the young Crazy 88 the last time... and his follow up "don't hurt me" look even funnier.
- A shot of a Crazy 88 getting slashed across the chest and spraying blood all over a wall.
- When The Bride jumps onto the shoulders of one of the Crazy 88, after she slashes another one across the face, the Crazy 88 she's standing on tries to attack her from below. She parries the attack and cuts his hands off. The shot then cuts to the forward sommersault.
- Since the fight is already in color, the close up "eye shot" of The Bride blinking is cut. Instead, the first part of the close up before she blinks is shown, however, at the point when she normally blinks, there is a replacement medium shot of her standing slightly fatigued and holding her sword out.

- Finally, after the "House of Blue Leaves" fight, is the most infamous of the missing scenes and that is Sofie Fatale's extended "trunk interrogation" scene. After The Bride warns Sofie about cutting off something, instead of cutting back to Sofie in the hospital, The Bride is shown grabbing Sofie's arm and screams "GIVE ME YOUR OTHER ARM!". Sofie starts to panic, but then The Bride chops off her other arm, causing blood to splash onto the screen and Sofie begins screaming again.