⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderator: Cream Gravy?
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

deficiT

Moderator: DC, TDS, NSADD
Staff member
Doing a bit of a Star Wars marathon. Just finished Episode VIII The Last Jedi.

I really don't understand why that movie caught so much hate. I've watched it a few times, I think it's pretty good, one of the better ones even.

Now on to Rise of Skywalker.

Cream Gravy?

Moderator: DC, F&TV, PD
Staff member
Doing a bit of a Star Wars marathon. Just finished Episode VIII The Last Jedi.

I really don't understand why that movie caught so much hate. I've watched it a few times, I think it's pretty good, one of the better ones even.

Now on to Rise of Skywalker.
It's not episode 8 that caught flack from me... it's episodes 7, 8, and 9 lol.

They were utter shite and as a devout Star Wars fan I just pretend they didn't happen. They can't even reboot/remake them because most of the actors have already declared they wouldn't return to Star Wars. Most embarrassing reboot ever...

Burnt Offerings

Bluelighter
I watched a documentary called "The Poison Squad" about a chemist who worked at the USDA, Harvey Wiley, who campaigned for some of the nation's first consumer protection laws. It was great. The PBS series that it was included in ("American Experience") is excellent, I've enjoyed pretty much everything I've seen that they've put out.

Back in the day he conducted science experiments in the basement of the USDA in Washington DC...he had his own lab down there and he cooked up various chemicals to contaminate food, which he then fed to research volunteers lol...then used the results to scandalize the corrupt food bourgeoisie! We need more scientists and government officials like him

TheLoveBandit

Co-Owner
Man IMDb averages are such a joke. They rank The Shawshank Redemption as the best film of all time... umm what? It's a one watch film. Not re-watch worthy, I'd give it a 7.5/10 because it was a good film, just not... great. Blade Runner and A Clockwork Orange fall well below a number of other blockbusters. What?! Many of my favorite 'watch a dozen time over films' average between 5-8/10 on IMDb which is sad, I wouldn't watch them over and over if they weren't 8-10/10. This just goes to show how subjective films are and that the very purpose and existence of film critics is questionable.

Consider, perhaps, you aren't 'average'? ;) Recall how many millions of people are out there with no clue to what 'good' is, or those that spam up the ratings of films their cousin worked on. Ratings are subjective, but also the effect of a HUGE number of people...and folks like us don't really fall 'in the middle' as we are of superior intellect and taste*.

Yeah, I often agree with that. I've seen movies I LOVE with like 4-6 ratings and then some of those movies with 8 or 9 are pretty bad.

I've watched many a movie rated 3-4, and they were worth a 3-4 rating. *May have to take myself out of the 'we' for superior intellect and taste.

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
Consider, perhaps, you aren't 'average'? ;) Recall how many millions of people are out there with no clue to what 'good' is, or those that spam up the ratings of films their cousin worked on. Ratings are subjective, but also the effect of a HUGE number of people...and folks like us don't really fall 'in the middle' as we are of superior intellect and taste*.

I've watched many a movie rated 3-4, and they were worth a 3-4 rating. *May have to take myself out of the 'we' for superior intellect and taste.

^nah, that just means you aren't pretentious, not that you don't have superior intellect (from what I've seen, I find your posts mostly impressive or interesting).

I've seen many movies with low ratings that absolutely deserve it and ditto with high ratings, but sometimes I find ratings so off it's scary.
But I'm very into horror and most critics are very biased against that type of movie. Did you know in some places they showed The Silence of the Lambs describing it as a "horror" to critics and in other places they showed it describing it as a "psychological thriller" to critics. On average, the critics who were told it was a psychological thriller had significantly more positive attitudes toward it in their reviews than those who were told it was a horror?

TheLoveBandit

Co-Owner
Did you know in some places they showed The Silence of the Lambs describing it as a "horror" to critics and in other places they showed it describing it as a "psychological thriller" to critics. On average, the critics who were told it was a psychological thriller had significantly more positive attitudes toward it in their reviews than those who were told it was a horror?

I didn't know that, but am not surprised in the least. You're dead on regarding critics being biased against horror :\ I kinda hope 'averages' on imdb (like rotten tomatoes) are more general public than real critics, as real critics have minimal connection to what real people like, IME.

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
I didn't know that, but am not surprised in the least. You're dead on regarding critics being biased against horror :\ I kinda hope 'averages' on imdb (like rotten tomatoes) are more general public than real critics, as real critics have minimal connection to what real people like, IME.

They are but I'm always SUPER weary of new movies that only have a couple dozen reviews as some very shitty movies have like 6+ ratings because friends, family, crew etc all give it 10.

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
Guns Akimbo (2019) - 4.5 Dick Shots - really enjoyed this! With Daniel Radcliffe and Samara Weaving. Super impressed with her atm, this is the 6th movie I've seen her in and they've all been really good. You could describe this movie as Scott Pilgrim meets The Running Man. It's actually better going in to it not knowing much about the plot, but definitely give it a watch, it's really fun.

Cream Gravy?

Staff member
That's what's irksome, is they usually link the Metacritic score page too, and critics are always so fucking off... like Roger Ebert, the most famous of famous critics, we disagree on most all of my favorite films. Like I said, film is subjective, and like you said, 'we' aren't average lol.

I like rotten tomatoes for general public averages. They're usually a little closer.

Fact of the matter is, my favorite films require second viewings due to complex plots, and that's probably not something the average film viewer cares for.

I re-watched Jackie Brown yesterday, easily Tarantino's least gory flick of all, and an amazing film full of social commentary. I love Tarantino's 'strong' female leads like Pam Grier and Umma Thurman. Such an underrated flick full of great music. The man is an artist, he lost it a bit in Django and Hateful Eight, but Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood really blew me away. Been watching it over and over lately.

sewerslide.666mg

Bluelighter
That's what's irksome, is they usually link the Metacritic score page too, and critics are always so fucking off... like Roger Ebert, the most famous of famous critics, we disagree on most all of my favorite films. Like I said, film is subjective, and like you said, 'we' aren't average lol.

I like rotten tomatoes for general public averages. They're usually a little closer.

Fact of the matter is, my favorite films require second viewings due to complex plots, and that's probably not something the average film viewer cares for.

I re-watched Jackie Brown yesterday, easily Tarantino's least gory flick of all, and an amazing film full of social commentary. I love Tarantino's 'strong' female leads like Pam Grier and Umma Thurman. Such an underrated flick full of great music. The man is an artist, he lost it a bit in Django and Hateful Eight, but Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood really blew me away. Been watching it over and over lately.
i always wanted to see jackie brown i use to always check the libary when i would go

sewerslide.666mg

Bluelighter
i agree,
i seen a old epaode of siskil and ebert review candy man and the skinny guy ( siskil) said candyman looks like hes wearing a pimp coat n stuff kinda racist shit, and he hated the movie

Burnt Offerings

Bluelighter
I really like "Django Unchained", in fact that may be Tarantino's best film IMO. DiCaprio was robbed for a best supporting actor nomination for his role in that film, robbed!

Cream Gravy?

Staff member
DiCaprio was robbed for a best supporting actor nomination for his role in that film, robbed!
I agree with this part, but I personally felt Django was among his most uninspired of films. It wasn't a bad film by any means and I quite enjoyed it, but most of his films were better imo.

deficiT

Moderator: DC, TDS, NSADD
Staff member
Guns Akimbo (2019) - 4.5 Dick Shots - really enjoyed this! With Daniel Radcliffe and Samara Weaving. Super impressed with her atm, this is the 6th movie I've seen her in and they've all been really good. You could describe this movie as Scott Pilgrim meets The Running Man. It's actually better going in to it not knowing much about the plot, but definitely give it a watch, it's really fun.
I saw only the second half of this movie, but it was really good!

birdup.snaildown

Bluelighter
Save Yourselves! (2020)

A great indie sci-fi and a nostalgic journey through memory lane, revisiting various absurd creature films from my childhood. Imperfect, but (more importantly) there is a reasonable balance of genre pandering to genuinely surprising moments.

John Waters isn't a great director, but he understood the value of breaking the rules. The latest Star Wars films are the epitome of safe bullshit. Even when they pretended to take chances, there was nothing at stake. Han Solo died because Ford insisted he died. Leia died because Carrie Fisher died.

Maybe Disney allowed them to take some chances, but they had to justify it every step of the way.

Save Yourselves has more potential than the budget allows. I totally understand if you hate it, but (for me) it worked.

7/10 (It's probably a 6 without bias.)

Tenet (2020)

I don't like Christopher Nolan.

I loved Memento and I loved The Prestige. With "The Dark Knight trilogy" I became less and less interested in Nolan.

Batman Begins was better than the other two films because (at that point) Nolan didn't live inside his own asshole so he was still capable of making a film that's not repulsively pretentious.

He is a truly talented film-maker.

Before critical acclaim ruined his mind, he was a genius.

I feel like - by the time Tenet came along - he had absolute creative control. Although Interstellar and Inception definitely lead to this point, I can sense that this is the point he became infallible. In my mind, nobody questions anything throughout the entire shooting process.

In Tenet, there is a massive failure to live up to the concept... The Prestige felt like a story that revolved around a concept. Tenet is the other way round.

None of the characters behave like any humans that I have ever met.

Robert Pattinson is more charming than John David Washington: who is the protagonist of the film, has no personality, and is called "Protagonist".

At least Pattinson's character has a personality.

If you imagine a character called Protagonist, there's a high chance he's more interesting than Protagonist. He is emotionless. He is aloof.

The dialogue is massively expositional.

Michael Caine's casting is token Nolan and nothing more at this point. I liked him in Interstellar. I liked him in the Prestige. Now, he is just Johnny Depp (or Helena Bottom Carter) sucking Timbo's dick.

It's a shame because if this was Nolan's second film, maybe it would have received the careful attention that Memento received. The man is a broken genius and this is a broken film.

4/10 (generous)

Extra Ordinary (2019)

Will Forte is a guilty pleasure.

This Irish indie comedy horror is sure to please anyone who is still reading this. Rose (the protagonist) is a great character and the guy who plays Martin Martin does really well too. Nice to see a genuinely funny silly European genre film. This would be much worse if it came out of Hollywood.

8/10 (Fuck you. I like this film.)

The King of Staten Island (2020)

Judd Apatow moves on to yet another young generation from the SNL crowd, this time capitalizing on Pete Davidson.

I find it difficult to like Davidson. It's not his face (but it doesn't help) and it's not because he isn't funny. It just seems like there's nothing going for him at all. He doesn't justify his existence on the screen.

I found Bill Burr funny and likeable in this film. I'm not always a huge fan of Burr. I don't think it's a personal bias thing. I just really don't like Pete Davidson.

Back in 2005/2007, Apatow directed two great comedies. Since then, his films have descended in quality as time goes on. The King of Staten Island is no exception. It is his worst film.

I don't want to see Apatow (or any other clown) force drama from their pores. I can do without the tear jerking / sad clown shit when I'm watching a comedy, unless it's expertly done. If it flows, fine. If you are Robin Williams and you want to do a horror movie, you get an exemption.

This film works more as a drama than a comedy, but it doesn't work very well as either. Marisa Tomei is great, as usual. But that doesn't make the film great.

5/10 (generous)

Last edited: