⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderator: Cream Gravy?
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Gormur

Bluelighter
Now, Malevolent (2004)

I'm excited because I haven't seen this one and there's two after this Bereavement (2010) and Malevolent 3 (2018 )

Gormur

Bluelighter
Now, Malevolent (2004)

I'm excited because I haven't seen this one and there's two after this Bereavement (2010) and Malevolent 3 (2018 )
These are good, well-made films. I think I like Malevolent 2: Bereavement the most. The plot gets thicker till it all unravels at the end. 4 out of 5 for the 1st and 3rd films, 5/5 for the 2nd film

Mother's Day (2010)

I've seen it a few times but didn't get the story when I first saw it. It seems like everybody's dishonest and there's probably more than one interpretation of it, which I don't care for. It makes it seem like there's not enough harmony between the characters, so you don't really care what's next. I'm not picky when it comes to endings, but the ending here almost seemed like the beginning. 3.5/5

ammaretto

Bluelighter
Unfriended: Dark Web

Solid 4/5. Kinda weird how well it worked just on a pc screen.
i enjoyed it too!

just watched The Rental. mehhhh...first hour was predictable & the ending was dumb. 5/10
"The beach house" very S L O W zombie type low budget...AVOID. 4/10

TheLoveBandit

Co-Owner
Been churning thru the MCU in the sequence they were meant to occur (as opposed to release dates). I won't bore you, but I'm up to Infinity Wars. I forgot how humourous the Guardians were. Great stuff.

The Old Guard (2020) <Netflix>

Apparently, this is based on a comic series. I wouldn't know, and came into it blind. Charlize Theron takes the lead with 3 other guys in her group. The kicker is they have become immortal. They don't know how or why, but Andy (Theron) was the first several centuries back. She picked up the others along the way and they would do certain jobs throughout the world over time = typically rescuing some people, or stopping some catastrophe. It gives the impression they didn't know they were effecting history, they just did what seemed right to them at the time. Jump to modern day and they discover a new immortal has just been created (soldier in war, throat cut but recovers) so they go to collect the new recruit who is obviously going thru some reality adjustments. Add in an ex-CIA guy they did a job for once, and he's now free lancing and picked up a job for them. They take it, things go south, and we start getting a thin trail of deceit as someone wants to study them to create a cure-all for humanity, and profit too most likely.

The whole 2h5m moves decently, no drag and not a lot of wasted screen time. It's not riveting, nor loaded with much in the way of special effects (other than a ton of bullets and blood, then they rise back up again). It'll keep your attention as you learn the characters, their relationships, and this take on immortality. However, throughout, especially in the back half, this feels soooo much like a pilot trying to launch a series. Turns out, it is, and there appears to be a sequel being worked on. It's decent enough to make you kinda wanna see the next one, but if you miss it you wont' be upset. 6.5/10

TheLoveBandit

Co-Owner
Devil's Gate (2017) <Netflix>

An FBI agent arrives in N. Dakota to look for a missing woman and her son. I didn't recognize the lead FBI agent, but the sheriff she's paired with is a fimilar face from X-men films (he's done a bit more, so you may or may not recognize him). There is the husband to the missing woman who is also familiar from several recent tv and film work, and he kinda carries the film with his acting. There is also the local 'boss' sheriff who tries to keep the FBI away from the husband and basically comes off as a fat azhole = he's played by Will Riker from the Star Trek series (dude got FAT, and a small role). I won't spoil much on this one, but I will say it has a few twists that carry it into a very new take on a very old theme. The plot carrying you there is enough to keep you plugged in, and I never really said 'no fn way, this is now jumping the shark'. Then again, I'll watch anything. Good flick for some time killing, but you won't have less of a life if you skip it. 5.5/10

Last edited:

TheLoveBandit

Co-Owner
what order did you watch them in?
How to watch the Marvel movies in order

• Captain America: The First Avenger (takes place during WWII)
  • Captain Marvel (takes place in 1995)
  • Iron Man (takes place in 2010)
  • Iron Man 2 (takes place after Iron Man)
  • The Incredible Hulk (time unspecified, pre-Avengers)
  • Thor (takes place six months before Avengers)
  • The Avengers (takes place in 2012)
  • Iron Man 3 (takes place six months after The Avengers)
  • Thor: Dark World (post-Avengers, pre-Ultron)
  • Captain America: Winter Soldier (post-Avengers, pre-Ultron)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy (sometime in 2014)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (after Guardians)
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron (takes place in 2015)
  • Ant-Man (takes place in 2015)
  • Captain America: Civil War (post-Ultron, pre-Infinity War)
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming (post-Civil War, pre-Infinity War)
  • Doctor Strange (takes place in 2016)
  • Black Panther (takes place in 2017)
  • Thor: Ragnarok (post-Ultron, pre-Infinity War)
  • Avengers: Infinity War (takes place in 2017)
  • Ant-Man and The Wasp (ambiguous, but fits nicely between IW and Endgame)
  • Avengers: Endgame (starts in 2017, finishes in 2022)
  • Spider-Man: Far From Home (post-Endgame)

There are others with similar lists, this is just the one I latched onto and used.

Growing up, I read a lot of Thor and Hulk over the rest, and never really got to reading Avengers, so the movies were new territory for me. I have personal hangups watching RDJr, but I have to say I can't imagine anyone pulling off the role as well as he did. Nearly all the casting selections were spot on, IMO (sans the Ed Norton hulk = love the actor, the film was too forgettable). Picking my favorite films, probably (in roughly this order):

1. Iron Man 2 (I love origins, but IM 1 was still kinda rough on the edges whereas IM 3 was too polished)
  2. Cap America First Avenger (love origin stories)
  3. Guardians 1 (never knew of them until the film, great cast, soundtrack, dialogue, eye candy)
  4. Avengers Ultron (another origin of sorts, but starts really putting the extended team together)
  5. Ant-Man (didn't know of him, loved the relatability and performance by Rudd)
  6. Guardians 2 (Plot was meh, but still with great cast, soundtrack, dialogue, eye candy)
  7. Ant-Man & Wasp (more fun)
  8. Doc Strange (another new one for me, but not trying to fit too hard into MCU, able to stand on it's own well)
  9. Spider-Man Homecoming
  10. Endgame (good wrap up, hated the gratuitous female shot but loved the overall teamwork)

Backatchya: what were your mcu faves?

Cream Gravy?

Moderator: DC, F&TV, PD
Staff member
Being John Malkovich (1999)

I have no words. This is a film that needs to be seen to even begin explaining it. I was tripping pretty hard and drinking heavily last night and this movie was so good that I'm liable to watch it again sober today.

Just watch it, you'll see what I mean.

10/10, an absolute classic film that everyone should see at least once. 1999 might have been the best year in film history.

Last edited:

D's

Moderator: NMI
Staff member
Watched 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' yesterday, really enjoyed the movie. If you haven't seen it then I would recommend you to watch it.

BK38

Bluelighter
Sometimes I'm just in the mood to watch a cheesy, mindless film that 13 year old me would probably approve of. I decided to watch Constantine (2005) starring Keanu Reeves last night and I actually thought it was pretty good! I knew it was going to be corny going into it, but I thought it was one of the best I've seen for this ilk of film (The Blade and Underworld series would fall into the same category). The CGI was on point (didn't look too dated considering this is now 15 years old) and I enjoyed the action and got some laughs out of it. I'm not going to write some long winded critique of the film, because it's about slaying demons and stuff and the balance between good and evil and I'll leave it at that. There was just enough lore for me to be able to swallow the film without too much fuss and ultimately, I wasn't trying to watch some kind of cinematic masterpiece here. This is one to smoke a blunt to and laugh at with your friends. It's certainly no Devil's Advocate, but it was fun. 6/10

TheLoveBandit

Co-Owner
I'd watched the original Terminator (1984), and seen Judgement Day (1991) as well as Rise of the Machines (2003) but hadn't kept up with the series after that. Wanted to kill some time this weekend so...

Terminator: Salvation (2009)

I'll start by saying I like Christian Bale. I don't love him as an actor, but I generally like what he does in films. This is mostly anchored in what he did for the role in The Machinist (2004), as I didn't see American Psycho until later. Let me just follow that statement with my assessment of his performance in this film being "did he lose a bet with someone and have to take this role?" It looks like he gives it his all, and it comes off with the same criticism many have of Keanu Reeves in that it appears canned, unemotional (even his yelling is just volume, not emotion), and the same actor stuck in yet another of the same old same old. Bale just doesn't do it in this film. Though, I suppose nobody does as they are on what 6? 7 in the series? and nobody other than Ahnahld gets brought back. I will say, in this one, I really bonded with Sam Worthington who, while being a 'supporting actor' kind of face really took the story and carried it on his back throughout. His story was THE story. Yes, there's lots of explosions, gunfire, and killing as required by the genre and title, but they did well with Worthington's role. He brings this from a 5 up to a 7/10.

Terminator: Genisys (2015)

New film, new cast...other than Ahnahld returning yet again. Here, we introduce timelines and how they can get changed. Meh, ok. I struggled to determine if I found the new Sarah Connor (Emilia Clarke) attractive; however Jai Courtney as Kyle Reese for this go'round did very well in his role. Ahnahld got a bit more screen time, with plenty of VFS for de-aging. But our protagonist in this one as John Connor was Jason Clarke. No offense intended for Mr. Clarke or his parents, but it just didn't look good on screen. His acting outdid his looks, but overall it couldn't be overcome and it detracted from the film. Story wise, they did well to take things up a notch. The time travel twists opened a few plot opportunities, and they used Ahnahld very well, but for me Kyle Reese's (Jai Courtney) relatability kept me in the story line better. They also brought in the T-1000 liquid metal baddie for a bit, which is always cool, but then connected him to others in new ways that were both interesting, believable, and sure to set up another film (Dark Fate 2019). Final verdict 8/10

Cream Gravy?

Moderator: DC, F&TV, PD
Staff member
^I watched T1 a few weeks ago now. Such a classic. T2 was decent, T3 was bad, I couldn't even be assed to stick around and see T-Salvation when it was part of a double feature with The Hangover I saw at a drive in back as a teen.

I'd give T1 something between a 7.5 and an 8 out of 10 rating (the actor who plays Kyle Reese really did it for me). T2 a 7, T3 a 6. I can't imagine those movies got any better as they went on.

TheLoveBandit

Co-Owner
Bit the bullet and watched the latest installment

Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

I presume this picks up off the back end of Genisys where the timeline for the early movies had been avoided, Skynet was killed (oops! Spoiler Alert!) before it launched Judgement Day. Here, we have an opening shot of Mama Sarah Connor with her son John (about age 12?)....and an Arnie terminator shows up and kills John, flat out establishing the old timeline (John is the savior for humanity) is not in play anymore. After the opening scene, we have about 20min of non-stop chase scene where some tall blond drops out of a time travel bubble and starts going, and later another time bubble pops out a new liquid terminator. The two look for a Mexican girl, and when they chase/fight awhile, Gramma Sarah Connor shows up to try to kill the terminator. While I'm generally ok with foreign language and subs, this was tough to swallow. The first third is nearly ALL in Spanish because MEXICO! I was worried I'd pirated a version in Spanish, but no, this was intentional. Add to that the 2019 virtue signal changes of the blond 'Grace' being the new Arnie replacement of human protector sent back in time, our traditional Asian liquid terminator being replaced by a Hispanic actor, and of course Gramma Connor looking old as shit and providing gunfire and F-bombs abound, and I was really struggling to view this as more than one of those sequels made for a money grab in the death throes of a franchise. There, I got that rant out of my system.

That said, that extended action sequence between Grace and Liquid is pretty well done (though the liquid seems to have an ongoing issue with windshields spanning several movies and is overplayed here). Midway we bring Grandpa Arnold into the storyline, and he drops a few good laugh lines; the dynamic between him and Gramma Connor is a decent sub-plot*; and his own story takes a new turn based on the old timeline being voided. The main plot of protector Grace and team v Liquid is at it's heart a repeat of Sarah's story in the early films, it seems while the original timeline was averted the events still occur just slightly different. I'll also say they special effects have moved forward since the earlier films = Connor & Arnie get VFX aging (par for the course now), and the producers did some interesting things with Liquid. Oh, and the actor for Liquid deserves some praise. I mean, it's a limited role = keep focused on hunt-find-kill, however the interactions they have with him and the general population along the way is pretty varied and allowed the actor to stretch his vocal range if nor just his look and acting in general.

Bottom line, better than just a money making sequel. There are some reasonable complaints to be had*, but if you like the franchise, this is a step above the last two (Salvation & Genisys), IMO once you get past the first third (and even that is salvaged by the action). 8/10

*Sarah Connor has her roots in the old timeline where she had to survive and have John to lead the resistance. And she knew of that experience up to the point established in Genisys where that timeline was averted and a new branch was followed. But in Genisys, her younger self was allied with the protective Arnie terminator. Not to spoil that movie too much, it closed with Arnie being with her as allies to go forward. However in this film, they seem to ignore that part of history. She immediately hates Arnie when he arrives mid-film, and it is the heart of their dynamic in this film. Is the hate solely on a him killing her son (he admits he DID kill John at the opening of the film), or on the original film's chase-kill relationship with Sarah-Arnie, or what? There is no acknowledgement of the end of Genisys other than it gave a new timeline.