• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids What would you consider to be a responsible dosing schedule/ use of Phenibut HCL?

BK38

Bluelight Crew
Hello all!

I have found Phenibut HCL to be an enormously useful substance for managing anxiety/PTSD and allowing for me to perform at a high level; especially when under the gun for work or doing a job interview. A couple years ago i was using it irresponsibly. I foolishly underestimated the power of the substance and though I used it at a relatively low dose (500mg), I used it every day for about 2 months and suffered a psychotic break when a customer grabbed me at work and triggered my PTSD (though I'm sure that the Phenibut greatly exacerbated things and put me in a paranoid and psychotic state). I never upped my dose, but I feel like I may have been in a manic state without realizing it as a result of being in Phenibut WDs. I was also drinking fairly heavily during that whole period of use (4-6 drinks per day). I have definitely learned my lesson about the power of this substance - what goes up must come down after all.

I have just acquired some more Phenibut after about a 2 year hiatus and am cautiously using it again. Currently I have been sticking to a regimen of 2 days on and 1 day off at 500mg, I am also drinking much less often (1-2 times per week vs. every day before) and generally around 2-4 drinks when I do. Am I being a fool? What are your experiences with Phenibut?

It's good that you aren't taking massive doses but 2 days on and 1 day off may not be enough to avoid physical dependence in the long run.

I try to stick with only one dose per week though every once in awhile I'll allow myself dose once then three days off before dosing again.

You should really consider:

A) not dosing multiple days in a row
B) increase the days off to atleast 2 (better yet 3) days off

So that your dose 1 day then take 2 or 3 days off before dosing again.

It's good that you aren't taking massive doses but 2 days on and 1 day off may not be enough to avoid physical dependence in the long run.

I try to stick with only one dose per week though every once in awhile I'll allow myself dose once then three days off before dosing again.

You should really consider:

A) not dosing multiple days in a row
B) increase the days off to atleast 2 (better yet 3) days off

So that your dose 1 day then take 2 or 3 days off before dosing again.

Yes, I reckon you're probably right and my tolerance is bound to go up if I'm not taking at least week long breaks here and there. I really love Phenibut HCL, maybe too much and as someone who has been addicted to many a different substance, I need to air on the side of caution. I think I could just about tolerate 2 days off, 1 day on. Do you reckon I could get away with 2-3 days of use a week? I realize that's not ideal... Maybe maintain my dosing but take off a week a month?

Yeah I definitely think 2 days on and 1 off is way too often even with a low dose. I really believe once a week with a bi weekly every now and then would be OK. I have been mildly physically dependent on phenibut several times and I was mulling over the idea of getting some phenibut today. My usage remained a pattern of binge usage of several days every week or so and I did this for years without experiencing what I identified as withdrawal, though I wouldnt suggest this type of frequent binge usage. I never experienced the withdrawal until I started supplementing more frequent use that bordered on using for a majority of some weeks, in between heroin usage. The withdrawal of phenibut definitely has a strange paranoid element to it that I have neither experienced withdrawing from benzos or opiates. It was a state of delusion and confusion at times. It probably could have gotten a lot worse if I wasn't so on guard for addiction because of the horror stories and my previous addictions. I have been able to since binge periodically without any real withdrawal other than a slight rebound after an especially long binge of 3-4 days but I have been lulled into a sense of perceived self control before with substances. I will probably be ordering some simply because I enjoy a variety of substances in order to avoid dependence on any one drug or a return to opiate abuse. It is the one drug on my short list of allowable substances that gives me some reservation. I would exercise extreme caution moving forward, especially if you are personally unfamiliar with the process' and patterns of addiction and dependence.

Yeah I definitely think 2 days on and 1 off is way too often even with a low dose. I really believe once a week with a bi weekly every now and then would be OK. I have been mildly physically dependent on phenibut several times and I was mulling over the idea of getting some phenibut today. My usage remained a pattern of binge usage of several days every week or so and I did this for years without experiencing what I identified as withdrawal, though I wouldnt suggest this type of frequent binge usage. I never experienced the withdrawal until I started supplementing more frequent use that bordered on using for a majority of some weeks, in between heroin usage. The withdrawal of phenibut definitely has a strange paranoid element to it that I have neither experienced withdrawing from benzos or opiates. It was a state of delusion and confusion at times. It probably could have gotten a lot worse if I wasn't so on guard for addiction because of the horror stories and my previous addictions. I have been able to since binge periodically without any real withdrawal other than a slight rebound after an especially long binge of 3-4 days but I have been lulled into a sense of perceived self control before with substances. I will probably be ordering some simply because I enjoy a variety of substances in order to avoid dependence on any one drug or a return to opiate abuse. It is the one drug on my short list of allowable substances that gives me some reservation. I would exercise extreme caution moving forward, especially if you are personally unfamiliar with the process' and patterns of addiction and dependence.

As someone who has had previous addictions to Heroin, Methamphetamine, Alc/Benzos and Phenibut - I absolutely understand where you're coming from. It is also on my list of "allowable substances" and I learnt my lesson the hard way as I mentioned. The rebound anxiety is definitely real after 2-3 days of continuous use and I sleep pretty poorly as well. I also kinda subscribe to the "cycling" of substances, although as I get older and wiser (or more burnt out haha), I realize that sometimes I need to be 100% clean (I did 3 and change months with nothing, not even alcohol, just to keep myself in check recently). The stuff on my "allowable" list is now Marijuana, Alcohol (not every day), MDMA (Like once or twice a year), Cocaine (Like once or twice a year), LSD (Probably once a year) and Kratom (Maybe one month out of the year)... I posted in part because I could see that "bargaining" side of me coming out with Phenibut and knew I had to get someone to tell me what's up. Thanks for your input :)

I like phenibut quite a bit. Ive only had it for three weeks now, and take it the nights of my days off, which are two days of the week. Seems pretty consistent so far. I am glad that I read up on it, and headed the warnings of those people less fortunate than myself, or I probably would be in wd now lol

I like phenibut quite a bit. Ive only had it for three weeks now, and take it the nights of my days off, which are two days of the week. Seems pretty consistent so far. I am glad that I read up on it, and headed the warnings of those people less fortunate than myself, or I probably would be in wd now lol

Yes, Phenibut can be insidious. Best to be cautious.

Once a week max. Given it very long half-life anymore frequently than that could result in rebound anxiety, which puts you at a risk of addiction.

I take 4g everyday, all in a single dose at night.

I dont enjoy it to be honest, fortunately. Quiting isnt that hard it just takes forever. Im down from 6g. I only took it after not sleeping for what seemed like months after quiting giant daily doses of pregabalin and gabapentin. I don't get nearly the same anxiolytic effect some of you seem to get though. Those of you that find it enjoyable or particularly addictive are probably more susceptible to phenibut addiction than even myself (particularly psychological addiction - my addiction feels mostly physical).

That said discontinuing it quickly can produce tremendous anxiety, particularly physical anxiety. Its not nearly as bad as benzo withdrawal but it feels more physical in nature, more skin crawling, tightness in the chest and skin burning. Once I dropped my scale and it was off by half. My dose decreased immediately by half and i didnt realize it. This went on for about 3 weeks, and i had no clue what was going on but i felt tremendously anxious all the time, particularly physically. I started to research natural anxiolytics, and started taking beta-alanine, theanine, ashwagandha because asking myself, what the fuck is with this sudden anxiety. It was disorienting in that sense, very similar to benzo withdrawal in that regard. At the same time, in a way i felt better: more myself. Then i realized something looked fishy, and i put the 10g calibration weight on it, and it read as 4.2g, and i realized, this scale has been off since i dropped it. I quickly bought a new scale.

My mistake was returning to my original dose. I should have taken advantage of that pain i had already suffer and only increased the dosage somewhat, as opposed to the original dose. I would have probably felt an acceptable amount better. Whats more fucked up is that i believe that notion might have crossed my mind at the time, but i suppose i wanted relief.

Last edited:
I've been wondering about this one too. I'm about to get off kratom and it sucks quite badly. Wish I had some real gabapentin, but always been curious about this one. Is it in powder form or is it a liquid? Probably will just order it online--I don't know if smoke shops sell it or something like that.

I
I've been wondering about this one too. I'm about to get off kratom and it sucks quite badly. Wish I had some real gabapentin, but always been curious about this one. Is it in powder form or is it a liquid? Probably will just order it online--I don't know if smoke shops sell it or something like that.

I actually found Phenibut more euphoric than Gabapentin, but maybe that's just me. From an HR perspective I probably wouldn't source from a head shop or the like as you really won't know what grade it is or if it's mixed in some kind of cocktail of things. I've only ever seen it in powder and tablet/gel cap form. I would do some serious research about Phenibut before imbibing, it's not a substance to be trifled with ime.

I actually found Phenibut more euphoric than Gabapentin,
Same here.
Although 900mg gaba-p seems a bit more noticeable psychoactively vs. 900mg phenibut, phenibut to me has a more pronounced "lift" and lasts longer. It also seems to take forever (~5hrs) for phenibut to be noticed ime. I find phenibut unique in it's effects and enjoy it imensely... but only every third day @ 1.5g.

@negrogesic how do you like the ashwagandha? Ive seen that mentioned a few times now just this year with mixed reviews.

It is the most benzo like of any naturally occuring substance ive come across, but it has some strange side-effects. It can cause pretty significant irritability, and for me has a strange side-effect of making normal sounds louder and more irritating (like a person typing on keyboard, a dripping faucet, etc.). Also seems to stop working quickly. Also, if taken during benzo withdrawal it seems to prolong it due to similar its mechanism.

Good to have in occasion though, not good for regular use in my opinion. Look for a one that contains "ksm-66" ashwagandha extract, they are all over amazon.

Phenibut is the most Amazing thing I've ever taken. A person could run for President on it. You will seek out social activity and you'll be helping your neighbor change his tires. But it's bad effects are gasping for breath when you're trying to sleep. Bad, sharp stomach pains. Muscle cramps. Insomnia. However those bad effects were only if I took Alot, like 10,000 mgs a day, trying to chase that high. So.. If I ever get Phenibut again I would take 1,500 mgs in the morning with coffee. And you need to be patient cuz it does take 3 hours to really start working and 5 hours to peak. It feels kinda like Lyrica but different. Music and food are awesome while under it's spell. I went through a year's worth in about a month, daily use and I didn't have any withdrawals except I missed it.It felt like I lost my best friend but a few Gabapentin made everything ok. So no more than 3,000 mgs per 24 hours with days off in-between. Peace from Michigan. I'm gonna smoke some Plushberry now !,🤩

It interesting that people find it so enjoyable. On occasion ill get some enjoyable hypomania, but even then i wouldnt call it euphoric. I suppose its more enjoyable than gabapentin. Music enhancement can be pretty extreme.

Still lyrica blows it out of the water. Like lyrica, phenibut seems to be an ambition killer as it induces this bizarre nihilism thats sort of makes everything seem pointless.

only if I took Alot, like 10,000 mgs a day, trying to chase that high...So.. If I ever get Phenibut again I would take 1,500 mgs in the morning with coffee...So no more than 3,000 mgs per 24 hours with days off in-between.
These strike me as almost heroic doses...Wouldn't it lead to massive, massive tolerance in a short time that a few days off in between would not really mitigate? Also, agree about being able to run for President and rescue kittens from trees and stuff on Phenibut - it is a very pro-social drug and I tend to get a lot done on it. Music is the best thing on it too, LOVE mixing music on Phenibut.

It can be really hit or miss for me.

Sometimes it's like this: I feel great/confident/motivated, I get a lot done, I'm more social (which is very unusual for me), I sleep really well that night and then I experience a pleasant afterglow for another day or so. I love it when it's like this.

Other times it can a negative experience with some or all of these symptoms: Dysphoric, Dizzy/Nauseous, Even more antisocial and depressed then usual, rls like pain in the legs, extreme difficulty in both falling asleep and then staying asleep, once I do eventually fall/stay asleep I will then way way over sleep the next day, I can feel shitty, disorganized and depressed for several days (the opposite of an afterglow). I hate it when it's like this.

And either experience can happen from the same dosage. Maybe there are differences in absorption or metabolism for me on certain days. 🤷‍♂️

MDPV_Pychosis that's strange it produces such a varying effects. So far its been spot on for me. The same each time. Good anxiolytic for me. Its also helped tremendously with RLS from kratom wd. In fact I was taking a couple days off during my off days from kratom, and so far the only wd ive noticed after sleeping on phenibut is a bit of off body temp and a slight slight runny nose (which is honestly most likely just from bad sinuses) I expected my kratom wd to be more severe considering my last dose was 13g

It can be really hit or miss for me.

Sometimes it's like this: I feel great/confident/motivated, I get a lot done, I'm more social (which is very unusual for me), I sleep really well that night and then I experience a pleasant afterglow for another day or so. I love it when it's like this.

Other times it can a negative experience with some or all of these symptoms: Dysphoric, Dizzy/Nauseous, Even more antisocial and depressed then usual, rls like pain in the legs, extreme difficulty in both falling asleep and then staying asleep, once I do eventually fall/stay asleep I will then way way over sleep the next day, I can feel shitty, disorganized and depressed for several days (the opposite of an afterglow). I hate it when it's like this.

And either experience can happen from the same dosage. Maybe there are differences in absorption or metabolism for me on certain days. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah this certainly happens to me.