Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What would it take to amaze you?

katmeow

Bluelight Crew
On a semi-regular basis my dad will be reading something out of the paper about some technological advance that he finds mindblowing, expecting a similar reaction, but to me it hardly even registers. In my lifetime, scientific and technological advance has been so fast paced, it seems there is nothing left that could surprise me.

I've watched footage of people gathered round TV sets absolutely enthralled when man landed on the moon for the first time and it struck me that the I cannot think of a single thing in my life that has had that kind of impact.

*~*~*~*

So my question... is there anything left that could amaze you, or are we the product of a generation which will never truly experience the joy of breakthroughs in innovation and scientific discovery?

The Ipod.

Love it.

But not amazed in the sense you are saying.

Although I have to say back in 1996 when I was 26 and just saw the internet that truly DID amaze me.

governments being pro-active instead of re-active.

liquid oxygen that was breathable.

a scuba dive to 400m

This is gonna make me sound like a dirty hippy, but...nature amazes me. I couldn't live in the bush because frankly it would do my fucking head in, but standing out in the middle of it all with at least the illusion that civilisation is a million miles away...that amazes me. Hearing stories about thermophilic organisms that thrive in conditions we would die in, that amazes me. Basically, it amazes me that life goes on in so many different arenas because it shows me that the world really can be a beautiful place and it helps me find a bit of perspective. :)

De Spook said:
governments being pro-active instead of re-active.

liquid oxygen that was breathable.

a scuba dive to 400m
Liquid oxygen that is breathable? I have heard stories of this, and seen it in the movie 'The Abyss'. Apparently the scene where they put the rat in the liquid and make it breath it in, is real.

...and 400 metre scuba dive??? 8o Wow, i've been to 40 metres, and that was amazing. I can't imagine 400 metres!!

Yeah liquid oxygen...

um...

teleportation.

A completely free thinking computer that for all intents and purposes is alive.

Total confirmation that Aliens are real... think Independence Day scene. Something that the Governments cannot cover up ;)

Too much.

The human race moving forward is some truely quantifiable manner (excluding technology, or walking upright - but we can't really take credit for that. It just involved doing a lot of rooting.).

World
Trade Centre attacks amazed me...I was stuck to the TV a la 'moon-landing' but in a different way.

The environmental changes in Antarctica amaze me. As does the recently changing political environment down there. I can't wait until technology makes it warm enough to colonise properly.

^ Fuck that statement makes me sick. You want to taint one of the last places on Earth not degraded and destroyed? And you want to do that by by changing its intrinsic value? I'm sure the animals that have adapted through millenia to live in the cold evirons down there would just love for us to technologically warm it...

Maybe while we're at it a few oil spills would be nice while we petrochemically plunder it too...

We need a new treaty, not to let the old one disapear when it expires...

"I'm a snowplough
I must now plough on
I'm a snowplough
I'm a settlers son
I'm a storm cloud
Rain myself all over the place
I'm a storm cloud
Wipe that smile right off your face

There must be a place left in the world
Where the mountains meet the sea
Where the water's real and clean

I'm a landslide
I'm a downhill run
I'm a landslide
Open season's just begun

Where the skin says it can breathe
There's gotta be one place left in the world
It's a solitude of distance and relief
There's gotta be one place left in the world

I'm a snow plough
There has to be one place left in this world
I'm a snow plough
One place
One place left in the world

I'm a short fuse
I'm a slow blues
I'm a landslide hummin I'm a downhill runnin
There must be one place left in this world
Where we can be"

- Midnight Oil - Antarctica

Great thread Kat!!!

Lost punk: couldn't agree more... Sierra, what do you mean by that last statement? Warm up antarctica? Can't there be at least 1 place on earth that doesn't HAVE to be colonised?? F**k the politics of the place. :\

On topic:

The human body amazes me. Sometimes i'll stop whatever i'm doing, and will marvel at the simple fact that im alive, breathing, seeing, feeling, hearing and smelling. :)

Every time i see a pregnant woman, it amazes me.. the fact that women have the ability to grow a child inside them, then feed that child... as the child grows, the woman's body instictivley knows to change the milk to suit the child's nutritional needs.

god, i'm going to sound like i'm quoting American Beauty here... but the world never ceases to amaze me with the amount of beautiful things in it. Corny, i know, but it's true. :)

The fact that there are fish in the antarctic and arctic oceans that contain a kind of anti-freeze in their blood amazes me.

Chameleons, with their ability to change colour, depending on their environment amazes me.

Cactus, that have the ability to thrive in conditions where any other plant would perish amazes me.

Technologically speaking, the images from the Hubble Space Telescope amaze me. Being able to see that far into space... especially the Hubble Deep Field images, which contain innumerable galaxies, and thinking that just perhaps, in one of those galaxies, there may be 1 solar system that contains life forms similar to us. Amazing. The beauty of the images of nebulae, galaxies, etc amazes me too.

There are SO many things that amaze me, but they are a few. :)

Last edited:
two girls kissing at the same time
thats ALL it takes, honestly

i'm a simple kinda guy...

the only thing that could amaze me would be meeting a girl who doesn't have issues....

im with Raz nature amazes me on a daily basis.
sunrise sunset ants doing little anty things i love it

and planes.... the fact that those big bastard bits of metal can just like cruise about in the sky.

<3

Originally posted by muzby
...the only thing that could amaze me would be meeting a girl who doesn't have issues....

^Hook yourself up with a newborn, d00d' - - - you'll be set. :p.

I'm pretty easily amazed :)

Just about everything people have mentioned here registers on my amazo-meter, and probably many more. Even if I'm not amazed, if someone else is truly amazed by something, I usually catch the amazement bug from them.

:D