• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need Help What in hecks name can I do about this dry skin?

deficiT

Sr. Moderator: NSADD, DC, & TDS
Staff member
So, as referenced in the title, I have seriously dry skin, mainly on my face, and quite a bit of dandruff as well. I don't know if they're related but I figured they are. I am planning on getting a vitamin D supplement, some head and shoulders, and to drink more water for starters. And I've been using shea butter lotion, but that doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

But it's like really bad, and it's really effecting my self esteem in a way. So I was wondering if anyone had any advice that might help? Could be lotions, supplements, whatever. If you've had the problem before what helped you?

What's in your soap, if you use it? (ingredient's)

Not a solution but some ingredient's in common washing product's are kinda harsh on your skin.

Stress also is a factor to take into account, and Alcoholic beverages.

Even diet can be of influence, and medication's. Fluid's and food. Maybe its your gut, or more specific what lives in it beneficial or non-beneficial inhabitant's. Hard to pinpoint your problem but I know what you mean. My case dissolved over time.

Severe dry skin almost needs something called Gold Bond. Their products are quite expensive but they work very well. They make all different kinds of really good lotions, cremes and body products. I give them an A plus.

I mean not too expensive ....just a bit more than you would pay for your basic Jergens or Dermassage line. Maybe 9 or 10 bucks for a container the same size that you would pay $5 for the other brands. Gold bond has a real good reputation as well.

Good luck friend.

You’re likely dehydrated, take at least 2L of water a day for a start.

I don’t know if you have it in America but T Gel is a great shampoo and will help with the flaky scalp.

Get a good moisturiser for your face that doesn’t have any crazy additives in it. Wash your face in the morning to get off the dead skin and moisturise then moisturise again at bedtime.

It can take a while and you need a good routine but definitely do drink more water, I know it will help.

I was getting red patches or dry patches on my face when using meth no matter what I ate or drank or what supplements I took. It would come and go and no amount of soap and water helped.

Research taught me that it can have either a bacterial or fungal cause. Both are exascerbated by vasoconstriction. You can usually get both types to clear up temporarily using a cream with 1% hydrocortisone and you can clean the fungal type up with cream that is 1% Clotrimazole. There are OTC creams that contain both.

The bacterial type is harder to get rid of. I had to see a doctor to get a script for something. For inflamation around my mouth I needed 2% Mupirocin (Bactroban) and for everywhere else on my face Metronidazole gel (Rozex).

Edit>

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/seborrheic-dermatitis/symptoms-causes/syc-20352710

Might be worth getting a check up for a few things.. and they sell blood glucose meters super cheap because they make all the money off the test strips so you can grab a ten dollar meter with ten strips. Cheap quick reliable initial test for both types of diabetes.

another serious but pretty rare condition that may be the culprit if you have the prerequisites

i would try and permanently treat the condition before resorting to steroids or steroid combinations as I think your your chances of finding a lasting solution are better.

Last edited:
Edit:
Not a damn nuff
I think we may be onto something here. I think you know I am not a doctor but I will suggest you drink at least 5 tall glasses of unadulterated water a day.
It may help/It may not.
I bet it does. ;)
Love ya bro drink that water and see if it doesn't make ya feel better, look like adonis and give ya more energy.

Edit:

I think we may be onto something here. I think you know I am not a doctor but I will suggest you drink at least 5 tall glasses of unadulterated water a day.
It may help/It may not.
I bet it does. ;)
Love ya bro drink that water and see if it doesn't make ya feel better, look like adonis and give ya more energy.
You could add a pinch of Celtic or Hawaian seasalt to make up for electrolyte loss. It won't taste like the Dead sea.

Just a pinch so its equally salt like your tears (or blood plasma)

I started to notice this on quite a few people and had a bit a little while back and I have never had any issues with this ever. I wonder if prolonged mask wearing can trigger it in some people?

Examine the fat content in your diet. What kind of fat is it? If it's mostly vegetable fats, axe those out... except for olive oil.

Examine the refined sugar content in your diet. If it's a lot, axe it out. Get used to reading labels to see if there's refined sugar. Sugar feeds yeast, and yeast disrupts the skin barrier especially on face and scalp where the skin is thinner. Once the barrier is disrupted, it can't hold moisture, and the immune system responds with inflammation.

Increase omega 3-6-9 content in your diet, or get a supplement.

I started to notice this on quite a few people and had a bit a little while back and I have never had any issues with this ever. I wonder if prolonged mask wearing can trigger it in some people?
For sure, extended mask wearing can cause issues with the skin. Look at the acne cases caused by masks. There are some nasty new strains and all due to mask wearing.

Try E-45 cream. It's not perfumed and has been specifically formulated for dry / chapped / irritated skin. It's commonly recommended by dermatologists.

So, as referenced in the title, I have seriously dry skin, mainly on my face, and quite a bit of dandruff as well. I don't know if they're related but I figured they are. I am planning on getting a vitamin D supplement, some head and shoulders, and to drink more water for starters. And I've been using shea butter lotion, but that doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

But it's like really bad, and it's really effecting my self esteem in a way. So I was wondering if anyone had any advice that might help? Could be lotions, supplements, whatever. If you've had the problem before what helped you?
Is it under your beard, mustache, eyebrows?

I had an issue with flakes and dandruff and it was because I wasn't drying my hair/face enough after showers. If your beard/hair stays wet for a long time it let's bacteria grow which then make dandruff. The hair traps moisture.

I thought it was dry, turns out it was too wet which caused the issue, was counterintuitive and the more showers I took trying to fix it was just making it worse.

Last edited:
Is it under your beard, mustache, eyebrows?

I had an issue with flakes and dandruff and it was because I wasn't drying my hair/face enough after showers. If your beard/hair stays wet for a long time it let's bacteria grow which then make dandruff. The hair traps moisture.

I thought it was dry, turns out it was too wet which caused the issue, was counterintuitive and the more showers I took trying to fix it was just making it worse.
Yeah, that is part of the problem. Something to think about i guess. Thanks I definitely wouldn't have though of that.

Only if you don't keep up with your facial hygiene, or already have acne - prone skin.

What happens is some moisture is trapped under the mask from your own respiration, and wearing it can cause you to sweat more. This in turn will make your skin more oily, which clogs pores, and those conditions can favour acne; but really shouldn't be a problem if you wash your face after taking it off.

I mean surgeons, intensive care nurses and dentists have to wear one for hours every day as part of their job, and you don't see them going around with pizza faces as a general rule, do you.

PS surgical masks are also more breathable than cloth ones. Also a red rash (rather than acne) would suggest a simple allergy to the material.