• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need Help What in hecks name can I do about this dry skin?

I mean surgeons, intensive care nurses and dentists have to wear one for hours every day as part of their job, and you don't see them going around with pizza faces as a general rule, do you.
Well I wear masks at work and we do change them every 90 minutes during surgery and then generally every 2 hours during lab time.

We also wear proper surgical masks and not the tat people are walking around with currently.

Yeah, that is part of the problem. Something to think about i guess. Thanks I definitely wouldn't have though of that.
If it's under your hairy spots rub Selsen Blue on it. It's usually dandruff or fungus related if you're essentially brealking out under your hairs. Selsen Blue for your hairy spots like your face and balls. CeraVe for your non-hairy spots. It's what my dermatologist recommended and that shit works.

Only if you don't keep up with your facial hygiene, or already have acne - prone skin.

What happens is some moisture is trapped under the mask from your own respiration, and wearing it can cause you to sweat more. This in turn will make your skin more oily, which clogs pores, and those conditions can favour acne; but really shouldn't be a problem if you wash your face after taking it off.

I mean surgeons, intensive care nurses and dentists have to wear one for hours every day as part of their job, and you don't see them going around with pizza faces as a general rule, do you.

PS surgical masks are also more breathable than cloth ones. Also a red rash (rather than acne) would suggest a simple allergy to the material.
I have really good hygiene and don’t have and haven’t had acne since high school, which was a story or two ago.

Looks like people have already been looking into thisit’s effecting medical personnel as well. I also noticed that I only developed it in the areas covered by the mask.

initial steps that seem to be working on a case that eventually developed a minor infection was daily shampooing of infected area ( area is facial hair covered) with dandruff shampoo. This controlled the dandruff but over the course of three weeks it progressed and eventually resulted in a minor infection.
after a quick check with a physician I started an oral course of antibiotics, that I had laying around. I sweat quite a bit at work, so I also started quickly to clean my face, problem area first followed by unaffected with a new paper towel and tap water. I also stopped applying a high end facial moisturizer on problem area. (Was not using this to try as treatment, it was just coincidental due to normal use) this is working good so far and I’m about half way through antibiotic course.. and yes I’m a staunch proponent of hard a line responsible use of antibiotics.

Hope this works end term and I’ll continue to post my results.

Interesting I was wearing a mask 6 to 10 hours a day, five days a week starting very early, food scarcity time until very early spring 2021. But I only developed noticeable symptoms during 2021 summer after stopping almost all use of mask in early spring.

Last edited:
You may just have very sensitive and reactive skin in that case. I've had one on pretty much all day, and I have sensitive skin that used to be prone to eczema.
No issues.

Water for sure.

But also collagen is huge for skin health. I swear by it. Pork rinds, chicken wings, bone broth, or collagen powder. I eat pork rinds cooked in pork fat. And chicken wings with some homemade buffalo sauce with ghee.

-GC