• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

Anything on this sight that will show me where the reaction buttons are 😂😂😂 HELP I don’t know how to like a post.

"How to Trick People Online into Thinking You're a Hot Twink and not a 45 Year Old Morbidly Obese Virgin in His Parents Basement"
Reading, or writing? Mastering your skills.

Like button is right underneath the post, next to quote and reply. Can hover/hold for multiple options. Depends on mobile vs. Desktop.

Someone gave me Infinite Jest last Saturday. She challenged me to read it by the 29th when we meet up next. White Amherst quasi-omni-intelligentsia drug and McLean-fond woman-stalker or something like that. Funny though. I'll have to try to actually read it before she quotes random lines more accurately than I would literally after reading it.

Readers of bluelight- how do you read? Subvocalization? Visualization? Bunching / grouping words? Browsing/skimming? I've never been very good at reading, at least in terms of general enjoyment. I'm always curious how others manage and go through what they read. From an enjoyment perspective more than a functional perspective, say. What is the experience of reading to you? What would you recommend to try while reading?

Maybe I underthink things sometimes.

Reading, or writing? Mastering your skills.

Like button is right underneath the post, next to quote and reply. Can hover/hold for multiple options. Depends on mobile vs. Desktop.

Someone gave me Infinite Jest last Saturday. She challenged me to read it by the 29th when we meet up next. White Amherst quasi-omni-intelligentsia drug and McLean-fond woman-stalker or something like that. Funny though. I'll have to try to actually read it before she quotes random lines more accurately than I would literally after reading it.

Readers of bluelight- how do you read? Subvocalization? Visualization? Bunching / grouping words? Browsing/skimming? I've never been very good at reading, at least in terms of general enjoyment. I'm always curious how others manage and go through what they read. From an enjoyment perspective more than a functional perspective, say. What is the experience of reading to you? What would you recommend to try while reading?

Maybe I underthink things sometimes.

I just...read lol. I don't really know what you mean. I guess I do see the book in my mind like a film when I'm reading but I don't do that consciously. How can you sub vocalize without speaking? And who bunches words when reading? You mean like little kids when they can't read properly yet?

yeah. my reading strategy is left to right, top to bottom. i groups words in that i take each in context of the others. unless you're reading a textbook, whitepaper, or something else that you hate, speed reading strategies are a self disservice.

i don't think greenlighters can create post reactions.

Yeah, I've always been curious how people perceive things and think with reading and the like. I remember reading about differences in counting in some thing from Feynman. One guy pictured a clock while others perceived counting in an auditory sense.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAFegQIBxAF&usg=AOvVaw0NJg8idReUo_JdCtPP0-Xm

A few years ago when I was really depressed I couldn't picture anything and didn't perceive my dreams. I remember trying to picture a triangle or draw one in my mind, and I couldn't do it. Now I'm better, but my visualization more is quick blips and less overt visualizations. Or at least my perception is different.

I have a friend who never remembers any dreams and is basically aphantastic, whatever the validity of that state actually is. On the other hand, my last two relationships have been with people with synesthesia and remarkable visual functioning. One can remember and picture outfits from past years quite readily, as well as lots of exact details and words. (I navigate a lot better though. Absolutely do not trust my memory even though it has been quite fine.)

I end up with a lot of auditory repetition or writing down, but honestly sometimes I just remember or perceive something without clear steps. Well, I mean often but what is actually sensed? I mean I imagine part of functioning is doing rather than monitoring, the mind is complex, but how we all function is very interesting. How does it evolve over time?

Like chunking concepts, or prepositional phrases or something. I feel like I jump all around when reading and it kind of amalgamates sometimes. But is that perception of saccades or something?

As for subvocalization, I guess it varies for some people. Phonological loops. Sometimes I perceive it like listening to a podcast on 2.5x speed with words cut out, but not always.

Yeah, speedreading doesn't have a great record and can cause many errors.

Lewis and Clark:The Journey of the Corps of Discovery- an Illustrated history... Beyond fascinating and eye opening... So much I did not know and so much that shatters myth and legend. The facts are much better than fiction and it sheds so much light on the truth of the development of America and Indian relations between each other and early settlers.

I always hate when Thanksgiving comes around every year and everyone makes statements like "Yay... Time to celebrate the wholesale slaughter of the native Americans" but that is just a vast over simplification. The Indians were loose bands tribes constantly on the move and Waring with each other. They were often brutal and all vying for control and power over land just as the European settlers were. Often tribes were new Invaders of regions and were just as foreign to it's inhabitants as the europians and their rape and pillaging was on a Savage level and it was the Indians that struck first both at Roanoke and at the expedition.

The anecdotes on journal entries are the most interesting part. A lot of the tribes implored the expedition members to sleep with their wives as a means of power and fertility. Clark fathered a son, who later led a tribe to fight the Americans and Sacagewea gave her son to Clark to raise and school in the east. The book opened up a fascination with areas of America that I had never had before and a desire to experience it beyond the long gone words of history and imagination.

yeah. my reading strategy is left to right, top to bottom. i groups words in that i take each in context of the others. unless you're reading a textbook, whitepaper, or something else that you hate, speed reading strategies are a self disservice.

i don't think greenlighters can create post reactions.

Well that not YOUR reading strategy; it just how books are written.

My Hebrew and Arabic sources beg to differ. And whatever that vertical Japanese format.

InB4 Boustrophedon text reference.

Sherlock Holmes is surprisingly fun, though some of them can have a bit of deus ex machina going on

Anything on this sight that will show me where the reaction buttons are 😂😂😂 HELP I don’t know how to like a post.
You won’t get the option to like or react until you become a blue lighter. Green lighters is the name for new people to the website, blue lighter is the title you get after you’ve been here for a little bit and replied, posted, and just interacted in general with the community. As soon as you become a blue lighter you’ll be able to like and react!

I'm listening to Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler. I find it very difficult to enjoy, tragic almost, partly because of narrator's accent which I find is just obnoxious, and because I get a huge headache each time that I attempt to really listen to whatever is being said in order to understand this book's true meaning.