• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tramadol gave me pssd.

Janzio

Bluelighter
Have you ever heard of PSSD? It stands for Post SSRI Sexual Dysfunction. It is basically permanent brain damage that occurs after discontinuing any antidepressant use, and it isn't just sexual side effects, and it can also even occur after only a single dose. For example, I suffer from cognitive decline now, insomnia, extremely rapid heart rate with palpitations, constant depression, anhedonia, fatigue and heavy anxiety along with the sexual dysfunction, which includes slight genital insensitivity, erectile dysfunction, delayed orgasm, no libido, no morning wood or random erections, reduced semen volume and shrunken testicles. I have no hope for recovery as most cases are permanent. I only abused tramadol once, I took a dose of around 700 mg. It was stupid but people have done similar before or even worse. In other words, I have the worst luck in the history of mankind. Plenty of people have abused tramadol, but I have to suffer extreme consequences from it. Suicide is very likely at this point.

Last edited:
Post SSRI sexual dysfunction should go away eventually in some people at least.

But it does seem to be a bit of stretch to think that a single dose of tramadol (albeit a large one) could have precipitated this phenomenon. I've never heard of single doses of SSRI's doing this. Not saying it's not possible, just never heard of it occuring from a single dose.

I do think there is clearly more going on here than a single dose of tramadol producing such a complicated array of long-lasting symptoms. More likely it stems from whatever factors drove you to take 14 pills of tramadol in the first place.

You should see a psychiatrist or possibly a neurologist.

Post SSRI sexual dysfunction should go away eventually in some people at least.

But it does seem to be a bit of stretch to think that a single dose of tramadol (albeit a large one) could have precipitated this phenomenon. I've never heard of single doses of SSRI's doing this. Not saying it's not possible, just never heard of it occuring from a single dose.

I do think there is clearly more going on here than a single dose of tramadol producing such a complicated array of long-lasting symptoms. More likely it stems from whatever factors drove you to take 14 pills of tramadol in the first place.

You should see a psychiatrist or possibly a neurologist.
Well I took a little more the next day, around 300 mg maybe. There are plenty of people who are extremely unlucky and get PSSD just from one dose, I've talked to them. There are quite a few actually on websites like pssdforum and survivingantidepressants. There are also many who got it only from a few doses, people who took it for under a week or a few weeks. A lot of people who get it from a single dose or a few have taken an antidepressant in the past, and I did once, Zoloft, but it was only one or two doses at that time as well. And don't assume I took that much tramadol because there is something wrong psychologically. I took it to party and have fun, and never had any of these issues before taking those pills. Besides, these kinds of sexual side effects cannot be psychologically-induced. Numb genitalia, for example, is not a symptom of depression.

Well I took a little more the next day, around 300 mg maybe. There are plenty of people who are extremely unlucky and get PSSD just from one dose, I've talked to them. There are quite a few actually on websites like pssdforum and survivingantidepressants. There are also many who got it only from a few doses, people who took it for under a week or a few weeks. A lot of people who get it from a single dose or a few have taken an antidepressant in the past, and I did once, Zoloft, but it was only one or two doses at that time as well. And don't assume I took that much tramadol because there is something wrong psychologically. I took it to party and have fun, and never had any of these issues before taking those pills. Besides, these kinds of sexual side effects cannot be psychologically-induced. Numb genitalia, for example, is not a symptom of depression.

Wasn't saying that there is something "wrong" with you for taking 14 tramadol, what I was getting at is that there are a host of comorbid psychiatric issues in the type of person who (myself included -- I had a gram a day tramadol habit once) would take a handful of pills to begin with. Those who abuse drugs, again myself included, have a bit more bugs in their software than the average human.

Depression and various psychiatric issues are likely capable of producing symptoms that would resemble PSSD, including paresthesia in various parts of the body. The mind is not really so separate from the body with a clearly separated "psychological" (mind) and "physical" (body) realm, particularly when it comes to sensory perceptions.

In any event not saying it isn't PSSD, though would seem like some freak occurance from such a limited use of tramadol. You should see a psychiatrist or perhaps even better, a neurologist. Frankly not entirely sure how useful a psychiatrist would be given their limited bag of tricks, but a neurologist might have some more clever solutions.

Have you ever heard of PSSD? It stands for Post SSRI Sexual Dysfunction. It is basically permanent brain damage that occurs after discontinuing any antidepressant use, and it isn't just sexual side effects, and it can also even occur after only a single dose. For example, I suffer from cognitive decline now, insomnia, extremely rapid and heart rate with palpitations, constant depression, anhedonia, fatigue and heavy anxiety along with the sexual dysfunction, which includes slight genital insensitivity, erectile dysfunction, delayed orgasm, no libido, no morning wood or random erections, reduced semen volume and shrunken testicles. I have no hope for recovery as most cases are permanent. I only abused tramadol once, I took a dose of around 700 mg. It was stupid but people have done similar before or even worse. In other words, I have the worst luck in the history of mankind. Plenty of people have abused tramadol, but I have to suffer extreme consequences from it. Suicide is very likely at this point.
Consider your suicidal feeling's, i had them after my second seizure if I remember correct after starting Levetiracetam.

This in combination with no restful sleep that lasted a year. Topped up by the exact PSSD sign's you describe.
They lasted up until today, although there is hope. This morning in the shower. Before I took my Levetiracetam. I had my first satisfying orgasm in a year!

Hang on, don't give up on yourself. You have a self healing system. Give it time. Live proper and add some supplement's if necessary. Cut down drug use. And stay clear off Tramadol and SSRI's i guess, as they are notorious for sexual impairment.

Have you ever heard of PSSD? It stands for Post SSRI Sexual Dysfunction. It is basically permanent brain damage that occurs after discontinuing any antidepressant use, and it isn't just sexual side effects, and it can also even occur after only a single dose. For example, I suffer from cognitive decline now, insomnia, extremely rapid and heart rate with palpitations, constant depression, anhedonia, fatigue and heavy anxiety along with the sexual dysfunction, which includes slight genital insensitivity, erectile dysfunction, delayed orgasm, no libido, no morning wood or random erections, reduced semen volume and shrunken testicles. I have no hope for recovery as most cases are permanent. I only abused tramadol once, I took a dose of around 700 mg. It was stupid but people have done similar before or even worse. In other words, I have the worst luck in the history of mankind. Plenty of people have abused tramadol, but I have to suffer extreme consequences from it. Suicide is very likely at this point.
Ive seen this written about long term use of anti-depressants (Lexapro,Paxil..) but never about tramadol, a couple doses wouldn’t leave long term affects . Perhaps it’s another medication your on ?

The thing is people who tend to abuse opioids are generally already depressed and seek solace in opioids. That's what Negrogesic was getting at probably. I know I do and like me, plenty of opioid addicts. I have a theory that you don't get addicted to them if you aren't looking for something to mask depression. They become a crutch, so to speak and then it's incredibly hard to quit them.

Ive seen this written about long term use of anti-depressants (Lexapro,Paxil..) but never about tramadol, a couple doses wouldn’t leave long term affects . Perhaps it’s another medication your on ?
I have heard of one case of someone on tramadol developing this. They developed sexual dysfunction and inability to feel the effects of alcohol after 7 months of using tramadol. This was on a forum called survivingantidepressants.org. Also, there are plenty of cases of people developing PSSD from just one dose or a few doses of antidepressants. Tramadol is an antidepressant SNRI and an opioid so it is possible. I am just extremely unlucky and it happened to me. I am on no other medication.

Last edited:
The thing is people who tend to abuse opioids are generally already depressed and seek solace in opioids. That's what Negrogesic was getting at probably. I know I do and like me, plenty of opioid addicts. I have a theory that you don't get addicted to them if you aren't looking for something to mask depression. They become a crutch, so to speak and then it's incredibly hard to quit them.
If a person takes takes an addictive medication regardless of theyre reason for taking it a tolerance will develop and you will become addicted, thats just the way things work , side effects from suddenly stopping will differ from person to person but i seriously doubt folks taking it just for depression would be immune from withdrawal

I have heard of one case of someone on tramadol developing this. They developed sexual dysfunction and inability to feel the effects of alcohol after 7 months of using tramadol. This was on a forum called survivingantidepressants.org. Also, there are plenty of cases of people developing PSSD from just one dose or a few doses of antidepressants. Tramadol is an antidepressant SNRI and an opioid so it is possible. I am just extremely unlucky and it happened to me. I am on no other medication.
Hmm , my guess would be is those people you speak of ( which you dont know personally) have been on antidepressants in the past and tried tramadol a few times and blamed it on tramadol,
I tried Paxil , Lexapro and only used them a few hrs prior to having sex because ive read about the sexual side effects and THAT was the reason i tried them , so id last longer having sex , and they worked great , they delay orgasm and make you really have to work at it to orgasm . I used them infrequently because of the more serious sexual side effects that you speak of .

If a person takes takes an addictive medication regardless of theyre reason for taking it a tolerance will develop and you will become addicted, thats just the way things work , side effects from suddenly stopping will differ from person to person but i seriously doubt folks taking it just for depression would be immune from withdrawal
You're saying something different.
Of course if you take opioids for a length of time you'll develop a physical dependence. This is whether you're taking them recreationally or as prescribed.
I was talking about the motivation behind why some people get mentally addicted to them.
Physical dependance is just the nature of the drug. Nothing to do with your motivation for taking it.
Tolerance doesn't mean you are addicted. Addiction and tolerance are two different things.
You can take opioids as prescribed without abusing them and you will be physically dependent if you take them every day.
Not everyone gets the mental side of the dependence. My mum takes tramadol for rheumatoid arthritis and has never been tempted to take more than her 4 tabs a day. But you can bet on the fact that if she tried to quit it she'd be in withdrawal.

Hmm , my guess would be is those people you speak of ( which you dont know personally) have been on antidepressants in the past and tried tramadol a few times and blamed it on tramadol,
I tried Paxil , Lexapro and only used them a few hrs prior to having sex because ive read about the sexual side effects and THAT was the reason i tried them , so id last longer having sex , and they worked great , they delay orgasm and make you really have to work at it to orgasm . I used them infrequently because of the more serious sexual side effects that you speak of .
No there is one guy in Britain who never used antidepressants before and who used tramadol in somewhat low doses for about 7 months and developed PSSD. He has sexual issues and can't get a buzz from alcohol anymore and has had this problem for 6-7 years.

And I would be careful from now on and not take any antidepressant ever again, because even one pill can cause PSSD. Plenty of people have been permanently chemically castrated by just one pill. It seems rare but people actually don't know how rare it is. Until doctors even recognize it as a condition we won't have any data on it, let alone even come close to developing something to cure it or reverse whatever happened in the brain. These drugs are extremely dangerous.

Addiction is addiction it doesnt matter if you abuse a drug or not .

How can you be addicted if you don't abuse a drug? It's like one of the first criteria for addiction lol.
If you take coke every once in a while for example you're not an addict because your usage isn't compulsive.
You're a recreational user.
Addicts are those who can't stop doing a drug because they're completely obsessed by it and will use daily.

You're mixing up addiction (which means being mentally dependent on a drug) with being physically dependent on a drug.
It's common to think anyone who is physically dependent is an addict. Addiction is when you are unable to quit because you're mentally trapped by the drug. You can be addicted to substances that don't cause any tolerance!
Someone who's only physically dependent can quit by tapering because they're not mentally dependent too.
You're not understanding what I'm saying. I don't think I'll reply again about this.
Pretty clear addiction involves abusing a drug and that those are different from simply using a drug that causes tolerance and physical dependence.
You're not addicted simply because you're physically dependent. You need to have the mental dependence as well. This is not what I say. It's what anyone who knows about drug dependence will say.
My mum could quit tramadol after tapering and she wouldn't miss it because for her it's just a painkiller. She has no idea it's even an opioid and that it is something abused as a recreational drug. She's physically dependent but she's not addicted because mentally she isn't dependent on it.
I'm an addict. She isn't.
Funny you linked me to the definition of addiction on Google. If you read those links they are saying what I say, mate.
There is a distinction between addiction and simple tolerance to a drug that causes physical dependence. That's what you seem to not understand... At least from your replies to me.

Last edited:
No there is one guy in Britain who never used antidepressants before and who used tramadol in somewhat low doses for about 7 months and developed PSSD. He has sexual issues and can't get a buzz from alcohol anymore and has had this problem for 6-7 years.
7 months vs your 2x is two differ3nt things ,but it’s ok believe whatever you wish.

Right, but like I said, some people have developed PSSD and other persistent symptoms from just one dose of an SSRI or SNRI. And I took a monstrous dose too.

Right, but like I said, some people have developed PSSD and other persistent symptoms from just one dose of an SSRI or SNRI. And I took a monstrous dose too.

I don’t believe this to be true for even a second, the brain is miraculous and has recovered from much worse things than one time dose of anything.

The only drug I’ve truly seen fry someone’s brain is acid, meth, and MDMA and that took 100s to 1000s of doses.

But even meth and mdma use can heal in the brain after months and years of healthy diet and exercise.

I just got out of treatment and my “heroin” was cut with Tramadol and fentanyl, which I was shooting 5 grams a day.

I’m about 10 days sober and my libido is already coming back, maybe your problem is low T not a mental issue.

I for one am strongly against SSRIs like Prozac and do believe long term use can cause serious issues, but that’s because it contains fluoride as a main ingredient.

Tramadol, aside from seizure risk, is mainly harmless.

Even Kratom has anti depressant properties like Tramadol and most people see little decrease in sexual ability or drive.

Feel like you're trying to make tramadol induced PSSD fit in place of whatever underlying issue is actually causing your sexual issues. Psychological or otherwise. Even if it was an EXTREMELY rare side effect or a constellation of factors that need to line up to cause it, tramadol is such a widely used drug there would be countless examples just like yourself. Not just the one. Surely