• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tramadol gave me pssd.

Right, but like I said, some people have developed PSSD and other persistent symptoms from just one dose of an SSRI or SNRI. And I took a monstrous dose too.

I only speak of my personal experience but your speaking for people who’s comments you’ve read on internet forms ,lol,

I was on 400-500 mg for about two years and all my plumbing works and I even lost a testicle to cancer in Feb 2021 and Jr still rises to the occasion.
Still have a few bottles

Post SSRI sexual dysfunction should go away eventually in some people at least.

But it does seem to be a bit of stretch to think that a single dose of tramadol (albeit a large one) could have precipitated this phenomenon. I've never heard of single doses of SSRI's doing this. Not saying it's not possible, just never heard of it occuring from a single dose.

I do think there is clearly more going on here than a single dose of tramadol producing such a complicated array of long-lasting symptoms. More likely it stems from whatever factors drove you to take 14 pills of tramadol in the first place.

You should see a psychiatrist or possibly a neurologist.

Agreed. It is EXTREMELY unlikely the Tramadol did it. It is very like just a coincidence that you'd taken the tramadol shortly before you started having these symptoms.

Last edited:
How can you be addicted if you don't abuse a drug? It's like one of the first criteria for addiction lol.
If you take coke every once in a while for example you're not an addict because your usage isn't compulsive.
You're a recreational user.
Addicts are those who can't stop doing a drug because they're completely obsessed by it and will use daily.

You're mixing up addiction (which means being mentally dependent on a drug) with being physically dependent on a drug.
It's common to think anyone who is physically dependent is an addict. Addiction is when you are unable to quit because you're mentally trapped by the drug. You can be addicted to substances that don't cause any tolerance!
Someone who's only physically dependent can quit by tapering because they're not mentally dependent too.
You're not understanding what I'm saying. I don't think I'll reply again about this.
Pretty clear addiction involves abusing a drug and that those are different from simply using a drug that causes tolerance and physical dependence.
You're not addicted simply because you're physically dependent. You need to have the mental dependence as well. This is not what I say. It's what anyone who knows about drug dependence will say.
My mum could quit tramadol after tapering and she wouldn't miss it because for her it's just a painkiller. She has no idea it's even an opioid and that it is something abused as a recreational drug. She's physically dependent but she's not addicted because mentally she isn't dependent on it.
I'm an addict. She isn't.
Funny you linked me to the definition of addiction on Google. If you read those links they are saying what I say, mate.
There is a distinction between addiction and simple tolerance to a drug that causes physical dependence. That's what you seem to not understand... At least from your replies to me.
It sounds like you are having a hard time admitting your mom has an addiction,(“the fact or condition of being addicted to a particular substance, thing, or activity. ) if she’s currently on a medication and she physically needs it she has an addiction to that medication, she doesn’t need to abuse a drug to be addicted to it, the word addiction makes people defensive about themselves and their loved ones but if you remove personal feelings you’ll realize ” an addiction is an addiction “ whether it’s an approved medication or not. I’m done here.

I don’t believe this to be true for even a second, the brain is miraculous and has recovered from much worse things than one time dose of anything.

The only drug I’ve truly seen fry someone’s brain is acid, meth, and MDMA and that took 100s to 1000s of doses.

But even meth and mdma use can heal in the brain after months and years of healthy diet and exercise.

I just got out of treatment and my “heroin” was cut with Tramadol and fentanyl, which I was shooting 5 grams a day.

I’m about 10 days sober and my libido is already coming back, maybe your problem is low T not a mental issue.

I for one am strongly against SSRIs like Prozac and do believe long term use can cause serious issues, but that’s because it contains fluoride as a main ingredient.

Tramadol, aside from seizure risk, is mainly harmless.

Even Kratom has anti depressant properties like Tramadol and most people see little decrease in sexual ability or drive.
I'd like to direct you to r/pssd on reddit, pssdforum.org and survivingantidepressants.org to see horror stories of people having brain damage and sexual dysfunction for years and even decades after a single dose or a few doses of antidepressant. Tramadol is an antidepressant and is capable of the same damage from one or a few doses. You just have to be extremely unlucky. Some people's brains are not meant for SSRI or SNRI use even in the slightest. Like I said before, there are two guys online claiming brain damage from long term use of tramadol. Neither can feel euphoria from alcohol and one has serious sexual dysfunction. The guy with both problems took it for 7 months.

Feel like you're trying to make tramadol induced PSSD fit in place of whatever underlying issue is actually causing your sexual issues. Psychological or otherwise. Even if it was an EXTREMELY rare side effect or a constellation of factors that need to line up to cause it, tramadol is such a widely used drug there would be countless examples just like yourself. Not just the one. Surely
Well all I know is that my balls shrunk, my genitalia is less sensitive and my semen volume is much much lower and that stuff doesn't happen as a result of just psychological issues. And yes, it doesn't seem common but then again not many people have my horrible luck and also take 700 mg of tramadol their first time with the drug on an empty stomach.

Agreed. It is EXTREMELY unlikely the Tramadol did it. It is very like just a coincidence that you'd taken the tramadol shortly before you started having these symptoms.
That's one hell of a coincidence especially considering how painful my withdrawal was after those three days, which is also incredibly unusual for just three days of use. And nothing but PSSD can explain my symptoms. Genital numbness, testicle shrinkage, reduced semen volume. The loss of libido could be depression, sure, but not the other symptoms. And they wouldn't come on that quickly if it was just depression.

I only speak of my personal experience but your speaking for people who’s comments you’ve read on internet forms ,lol,

I was on 400-500 mg for about two years and all my plumbing works and I even lost a testicle to cancer in Feb 2021 and Jr still rises to the occasion.
Still have a few bottles
If anything the internet forum is more valuable in this case than just you as a sample size. The internet has theoretically an infinite sample size and therefore I can find people that this happened to. Your experience with tramadol is not universal

^^This is misinformation. First of all, tramadol isn’t an SSRI, but rather an SNRI μ-opioid receptor agonist. You are perpetuating a false claim that taking an SSRI antidepressant just one time, can cause permanent brain damage. This is absolutely not true. There no evidence to back that claim up.

You have posted the same post on drugs-forum, and while I’m truly sorry for your situation, you are perpetuating a false claim that has been repeated on the internet that SSRI’s (which tramadol is not) causes permanent brain damage after just one use, which isn’t true.

🧙‍♂️
I wish you were right, but unfortunately the many reports of this happening to people on various websites proves that you are wrong. I in fact learned about PSSD from someone who took only one dose. Oftentimes these people had taken antidepressants in the past without any problems. This was the case for that person and for me. And clearly you don't know much about PSSD because although the name implies that only SSRIs can cause it, that is not true, as SNRIs and Tricyclics can cause it too. In fact, any drug that targets SERT can cause it. Many people have it from trazodone. The name PSSD is a little misleading.

^^This is misinformation. First of all, tramadol isn’t an SSRI, but rather an SNRI μ-opioid receptor agonist. You are perpetuating a false claim that taking an SSRI antidepressant just one time, can cause permanent brain damage. This is absolutely not true. There no evidence to back that claim up.

You have posted the same post on drugs-forum, and while I’m truly sorry for your situation, you are perpetuating a false claim that has been repeated on the internet that SSRI’s (which tramadol is not) causes permanent brain damage after just one use, which isn’t true.

🧙‍♂️
I just think it is important to share my particular case because people need to know that it is very possible, no matter how unlikely, that this can happen to them from the use of any antidepressant from any amount of time or dosage. These medications are toxic for some people's bodies. Don't just take it from me, read up on the various personal reports of people on various forums and sites like reddit as well.

This is a false claim about taking antidepressants (which tramadol is not, it’s an opioid painkiller) just once can cause permanent brain damage. This claim has been repeated all over the internet for 20 something years, and they are just as false then as they are now. It’s fear mongering, plain and simple.

Taking 700 mg of tramadol that one time does not cause any of the symptoms you describe, let alone permanent brain damage. Tramadol does increase your threshold of seizures, and does not play nice with other drugs or itself, for that matter. Unless you had a seizure taking that much tramadol at once, and don’t remember having one, your problems are not caused from a single dose of 700 mg of tramadol. Your beliefs are being falsely reinforced by misinformation found on the internet. A seizure absolutely can cause permanent brain damage, but you would probably remember having one if you did.

We get posts like these every few years, and they are all just trying to continue the spread misinformation about antidepressants (tramadol in this case) causing permanent brain damage after just one time taking them. That’s fear mongering, like anti-vaxxers are with COVID. You are repeating a completely debunked conspiracy theory, and continuing the exact same false information that reads like all of the other false claims on the internet verbatim.

🧙‍♂️
Okay buddy, believe what you want but tell this to all of the real people suffering from PSSD, and the statistically significant number of them who got it from one dose or a few doses. Even if there was just one case of someone getting PSSD or another form of brain damage from only one dose (of which there are many cases) then that would make you wrong, no? There ARE real examples of people getting brain damage from a single dose of antidepressant. So your belief is easily falsifiable. Where have you heard information debunking this? From the very medical community that denies PSSD exists? Where does the conspiracy lie then? And make up your mind, is tramadol an antidepressant or not? You clearly stated in your previous post that it is an SNRI/opioid and now what? Suddenly it is just an opioid? At first I thought it was a seizure that happened during sleep but a seizure wouldn't cause these symptoms that align perfectly with pssd.

This is a false claim about taking antidepressants (which tramadol is not, it’s an opioid painkiller) just once can cause permanent brain damage. This claim has been repeated all over the internet for 20 something years, and they are just as false then as they are now. It’s fear mongering, plain and simple.

Taking 700 mg of tramadol that one time does not cause any of the symptoms you describe, let alone permanent brain damage. Tramadol does increase your threshold of seizures, and does not play nice with other drugs or itself, for that matter. Unless you had a seizure taking that much tramadol at once, and don’t remember having one, your problems are not caused from a single dose of 700 mg of tramadol. Your beliefs are being falsely reinforced by misinformation found on the internet. A seizure absolutely can cause permanent brain damage, but you would probably remember having one if you did.

We get posts like these every few years, and they are all just trying to continue the spread misinformation about antidepressants (tramadol in this case) causing permanent brain damage after just one time taking them. That’s fear mongering, like anti-vaxxers are with COVID. You are repeating a completely debunked conspiracy theory, and continuing the exact same false information that reads like all of the other false claims on the internet verbatim.

🧙‍♂️
Oh and also, it doesn't increase your threshold for seizures, it decreases it. It lowers seizure threshold, making you more likely to have a seizure. That's how that works. And I suggest you take just a few moments out of your day to find cases of real people who have pssd from a single dose. Once again, go on websites such as pssdforum, survivingantidepressants, and r/pssd on reddit. What, do you think all of these people are plants? By whom? The naturopathic community? Don't be ridiculous.

Prove it, let’s see some evidence to back that up. We require credible scientific evidence, and not just people on the internet saying it’s so.

If you can provide any real evidence that supports your claims then I will shut up. Otherwise you have wasted my time on two harm reduction forums now. Congratulations!

🧙‍♂️
No, no, you wasted my time with your undue skepticism.

Prove it, let’s see some evidence to back that up. We require credible scientific evidence, and not just people on the internet saying it’s so.

If you can provide any real evidence that supports your claims then I will shut up. Otherwise you have wasted my time on two harm reduction forums now. Congratulations!

🧙‍♂️
Look into Dr David Healy as well. You do realize that science is incomplete right? The things that people know now about certain drugs were not known at a certain time in history, and the same is true about antidepressants. And medical practitioners in the US don't even acknowledge that PSSD exists, so according to you it must not, right? Meanwhile, the European medical community just did recognize its existence in 2019.

🧙‍♂️

Just look up "PSSD single dose" for more evidence.

Are you diagnosed by an actual Dr or self diagnosed? PSSD isn’t even recognised by the NHS so I doubt very much you’d get that diagnosis in the UK.

I honestly think you’ve scared yourself stupid over taking a ridiculous amount of tramadol which has reacted badly with you.

I advise you to clean up your diet, do daily exercise, take some supplements and see a therapist. Anxiety can cause the symptoms you describe.

The chance you got PSSD due to taking tramadol one time, even such a stupid amount is so minuscule. Like impossible.

If you do have it, it’s not a lifelong thing, people do recover.

You just can’t say that you got brain damage from taking tramadol that one time. It doesn’t work that way, and going to sites like the ones you mentioned just reaffirms a false narrative you already believe to be right. I have no doubt that you believe what you believe, but the burden of proof is on you here. I don’t have to prove that tramadol does’t cause permanent brain damage at all. You are the one that has to prove those beliefs by providing some legitimate evidence to back up what you are saying. Any yahoo can say whatever about whatever on the internet.
Do you understand that?

🧙‍♂️
Do you understand that NCBI is legitimate evidence?

That’s better, but it only accounts for chronic SSRI/ SNRI use. This has been known for a long time. It doesn’t say that a single dose of tramadol can cause this. Besides that, this study absolutely does not say that this condition is permanent, or a result of brain damage. There is absolutely no evidence for that, but I like to be proven wrong. So keep at it!

🧙‍♂️
"Clinical experience suggests that almost everyone who takes an SSRI or SNRI experiences a degree of reduced genital sensitivity, often occurring within 30 minutes of taking the first dose. In this sense, almost everyone taking a serotonin reuptake inhibitor has altered sexual functioning."

"The common assumption that sexual functioning typically returns to pre-drug baseline after the use of an SSRI or SNRI has no clear basis. While clinical experience points to some recovery of function in many people, there is no robust evidence that anyone who takes an SSRI or SNRI actually recovers 100% of their original genital sensation, sexual response and capacity to experience sexual pleasure. This has never been properly investigated."

A 27-year-old female who described having a very high libido since puberty, developed a dramatic loss of libido, reduced genital and nipple sensitivity, and anorgasmia within three days of using fluoxetine. After discontinuing the drug seven months later, orgasmic capacity returned but at a dramatically reduced intensity and with a refractory period of several days. Loss of libido remained and tactile sensitivity only partially returned.

A 30-year-old male experienced a severe drop in sexual desire, moderate erectile dysfunction, difficulty reaching orgasm with a long refractory time, reduced ejaculate volume, and genital anesthesia within four to five days of starting sertraline. The drug was discontinued after five weeks, but the problems remained unchanged several years later. Sildenafil, supplemental testosterone, and herbal remedies were tried but without success.

That’s better, but it only accounts for chronic SSRI/ SNRI use in rats. This has been known for a long time. It doesn’t say that a single dose of tramadol can cause this. Besides that, this study absolutely does not say that this condition is permanent, or a result of brain damage. There is absolutely no evidence for that, but I like to be proven wrong. So keep at it!

🧙‍♂️
Did you even read any of the article? Those cases hardly sound like chronic use.

That’s better, but it only accounts for chronic SSRI/ SNRI use in rats. This has been known for a long time. It doesn’t say that a single dose of tramadol can cause this. Besides that, this study absolutely does not say that this condition is permanent, or a result of brain damage. There is absolutely no evidence for that, but I like to be proven wrong. So keep at it!

🧙‍♂️
The reported drugs were escitalopram (n = 42), citalopram (n = 41), paroxetine (n = 40), sertraline (n = 32), fluoxetine (n = 31), venlafaxine (n = 19), duloxetine (n = 10), fluvoxamine (n = 2), vortioxetine (n = 2), clomipramine (n = 1), and desvenlafaxine (n = 1). Fifteen subjects reported that the duration of drug exposure had been less than two weeks.

The data make it clear that SSRIs and SNRIs are potent disruptors of sexual function, and that adverse sexual effects can sometimes persist for years or indefinitely after discontinuation of the drug. In some cases, these effects only emerge or worsen when the drug is withdrawn. It also appears that post-treatment problems can occur after only a brief exposure to the drug.