• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Positive The Tapering Supportive/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think your assessment of Kratom is right on.
I also think tapering down ( and eventually off) the Kratom and back on to just your oxy would be your best move.
But...I do understand how that is going to be next to impossible while you have to keep up a job and family while living with chronic pain.

What a predicament this terrible condition puts us in.

The Gabapentin really did help about as much or maybe a bit more than either loperamide or kratom while in withdrawal from morphine.
I was surprised at how much it helped.
On the other hand, the gabapentin makes the morphine less enjoyable on an everyday basis.
I don’t feel it as much.

My life has been reduced to needing to be able to sleep and eat so the gabapentin is helping with that.

Gabapentin or the stronger version you mentioned, lyrica, might be a way for you to taper down the Kratom and still be able to function.
You could just use it for a short period of time for the withdrawal and then taper off it.??
just a thought.
We should check on here to see if anyone has done that.

I think your assessment of Kratom is right on.
I also think tapering down ( and eventually off) the Kratom and back on to just your oxy would be your best move.
But...I do understand how that is going to be next to impossible while you have to keep up a job and family while living with chronic pain.

What a predicament this terrible condition puts us in.

The Gabapentin really did help about as much or maybe a bit more than either loperamide or kratom while in withdrawal from morphine.
I was surprised at how much it helped.
On the other hand, the gabapentin makes the morphine less enjoyable on an everyday basis.
I don’t feel it as much.

My life has been reduced to needing to be able to sleep and eat so the gabapentin is helping with that.

Gabapentin or the stronger version you mentioned, lyrica, might be a way for you to taper down the Kratom and still be able to function.
You could just use it for a short period of time for the withdrawal and then taper off it.??
just a thought.
We should check on here to see if anyone has done that.
Several people have posted in the lyrica thread that it was great fro opiate withdrawl. I have tried it and all I got was sleep.

Several people have posted in the lyrica thread that it was great fro opiate withdrawl. I have tried it and all I got was sleep.
I think the Gabapentin is less likely to just knock you out.
it is like Lyrica but not as strong.

I’ve found that I can’t taper. I have no will power to only take a certain amount every day. I haven’t taken any Norcos since Friday afternoon, and it’s Sunday now. The first 3 days are usually the worst for me, but this time has been different. Of course it generally sucks, but it has not been as bad as before. Possibly because I’m ready? Idk. The emotional aspect of the withdrawal is what I don’t look forward too, and that usually comes after the physical for me. That’s when I break down. So I’m looking into getting into therapy, meetings, whatever support I can to make it through this time. I want to start feeling like myself again. I remember life before opiates. All my love and support to all of you going through wd and hard times.

Well, my Suboxone taper has worked it appears, as I haven't taken one in 12 days, and I still have two leftover. (I wasn't necessarily planning on stopping them right now, but ran out of insurance due to a change in job). Still happy about it. Back when I was on two strips a day, I think I was way more blitzed than I thought I was, which caused me to run into some problems (ie. totaling my car, nodding out inappropriately, etc.)

I've also not had a drink of alcohol in 4 months.

I am taking kratom, but just once maybe twice a day, which is a big improvement from where I was months ago. Benzo's are no longer a daily thing for me.

I'm not totally abstinent, but I am doing a lot better than I was when I had my last breakdown. Overall I'm happy with where I'm at, and I hope you can all say the same.

I recently used a supplement called NAC (N-acetyl cysteine) to taper from cocaine (I know right, it sounds crazy). I bought a nose spray from Amazon for $5 and took 100 mg of cocaine base, converted it to cocaine citrate and created a solution of 10mg/ml. Each two sprays was roughly 5 mg cocaine citrate (0.5ml) and, it is the most insane thing, the NAC literally made the obsessive compulsive desire to redose non-existant. I started with two sprays in the morning, two sprays in the afternoon and two sprays in the evening (15 mg of cocaine citrate), and just slowly tapered down to the point where I had a few days of slight fatigue and loss of motivation but after a good night’s sleep woke up feeling like my normal self today. I also used L-Phenylalanine, although I’m not sure to what effect that had. The NAC had immediate effects for me, and I took it three times daily and I literally could not believe how I could go about my day with not only no desire to redose, but also rationally be able to mentally navigate why continuing to use it is not only insanity but pointless. I’ve stopped so many bad drug addictions and this was the last one that I couldn’t seem to shake, and I’m almost wondering ... could it have seriously been this easy the whole time?

For the first time in roughly 16 years, I have made it to 9PM at night with still no desire to take any type of substance. And my mind is just rationally and calmly functioning, which is completely atypical for days such as these.

I’m very, very cautiously optimistic right now.

I recently used a supplement called NAC (N-acetyl cysteine) to taper from cocaine (I know right, it sounds crazy). I bought a nose spray from Amazon for $5 and took 100 mg of cocaine base, converted it to cocaine citrate and created a solution of 10mg/ml. Each two sprays was roughly 5 mg cocaine citrate (0.5ml) and, it is the most insane thing, the NAC literally made the obsessive compulsive desire to redose non-existant. I started with two sprays in the morning, two sprays in the afternoon and two sprays in the evening (15 mg of cocaine citrate), and just slowly tapered down to the point where I had a few days of slight fatigue and loss of motivation but after a good night’s sleep woke up feeling like my normal self today. I also used L-Phenylalanine, although I’m not sure to what effect that had. The NAC had immediate effects for me, and I took it three times daily and I literally could not believe how I could go about my day with not only no desire to redose, but also rationally be able to mentally navigate why continuing to use it is not only insanity but pointless. I’ve stopped so many bad drug addictions and this was the last one that I couldn’t seem to shake, and I’m almost wondering ... could it have seriously been this easy the whole time?

For the first time in roughly 16 years, I have made it to 9PM at night with still no desire to take any type of substance. And my mind is just rationally and calmly functioning, which is completely atypical for days such as these.

I’m very, very cautiously optimistic right now.

Awesome, that's good news!! I recently added NAC to my repertoire as well for detoxing from stimulants. It apparently helps produce glutathione, which is an important antioxidant. I haven't found it to be as immediately beneficial, although I haven't been using it as regularly or like you have. L-Phenylalanine converts to Tyrosine which should help you build back Dopamine, Norepinephrine, and Epinephrine a little bit easier in the brain, as far as neurotransmitters are concerned anyway. Doubtful it'll have any immediate effect, but it definitely can't hurt in recovery from stims.

Overall sounds like you've got a good thing going, I wouldn't question your past or anything like that. We have to go through certain things in life to even get to a mindset where quitting an addiction is possible. You just have to be ready, you can't force yourself into sobriety and neither can anyone else. Cheers though man, it sounds like you are wresting back a measure of self control from that old noggin that sometimes just acts on instinct w/ little regard for consequence.

Yeah, I was really leery about continuing to use the NAC at first because it made me almost feel like I took a benzo (and I hate benzos), I feel like a useless zombie. But I stuck it out, and after a quick nap in the first couple days, the drowsiness completely went away and I was left with just a more calm mind. I can’t remember if NAC is helpful for ADHD or not, but that may be something to note, as I have ADHD that I haven’t had treatment for in decades (I’m pretty sure cocaine was my treatment for ADHD, it just helped me think more logically.). And that was the problem, I think, stopping the cocaine was next to impossible for me, not because of physical withdrawals like with the opioids, but because my mind became a mess.

Yeah, I was really leery about continuing to use the NAC at first because it made me almost feel like I took a benzo (and I hate benzos), I feel like a useless zombie. But I stuck it out, and after a quick nap in the first couple days, the drowsiness completely went away and I was left with just a more calm mind. I can’t remember if NAC is helpful for ADHD or not, but that may be something to note, as I have ADHD that I haven’t had treatment for in decades (I’m pretty sure cocaine was my treatment for ADHD, it just helped me think more logically.). And that was the problem, I think, stopping the cocaine was next to impossible for me, not because of physical withdrawals like with the opioids, but because my mind became a mess.

Hey bud, you still taking the NAC 3x today as well? I'm trying to come down off of ice w/o redosing. Have already taken one NAC today, but I guess it probably wouldn't hurt to take another. You're saying it took the edge off of the stimulant for you? Hopefully I can utilize it in a similar manner.

Yup! I usually take it immediately at 7 am when I wake up, 1 pm and then again at 7 pm. I have the 1000 mg capsules, and they are continuing to work incredibly well for me.

Yup! I usually take it immediately at 7 am when I wake up, 1 pm and then again at 7 pm. I have the 1000 mg capsules, and they are continuing to work incredibly well for me.

Ah, ok, I think mine are only half a gram. But I'll def give it more of a go, I had previously only been taking them like one at a time, maybe the day after a comedown. Didn't seem to help drastically but I guess that dose makes a difference.

I've been struggling on and off for 10 to 12 years with opiate addiction. I'm 25 yrs old. Started using vicodin, oxycodone (ect) when I was about 14 bc of an injury and eventually developed into addiction and street purchases which I'm sure is not anything new to hear. Then I started using suboxone after being sick of having to find morphine and fentanyl every day so I wasn't sick. Did great on the suboxone treatment for 4 yrs and then developed a coke addiction and got kicked off suboxone, leaving me withdrawing horribly off the subs. I then started to use heroin bc it was strong enough to get me high and keep away the DT's I tried to quit cold Turkey over the last week and lasted 2 days into withdrawal and relapsed and bought a gram of h. I'm trying to taper off so I don't have to worry about the withdrawal as much but I don't even know where to start. If anyone has any tips or has done it themselves. Please let me know what I can do to make this easier. I know it won't be easy per day but I know I can make it easier by following certain instructions. Thank you.

Is going back on subs/done not an option anymore? Confused.

Tapering with H is, in my opinion, a nearly impossible challenge of self will.

If I was you I would go get some subs (very easy these days, in the US at least) to stop WDs then pick up some other less destructive habit like weed. Rehab is also great and something you should seriously consider.

The last time I quit fent I did cold turkey. Locked myself in my room for 2 weeks. Of course it was fucking horrible, but I'm glad I did, otherwise I'd still be on subs today. I'm clean from opioids for 5 months now!

Good luck, stay strong.

Try Kratom . I came off a 5 year 40-60mg OxyContin a day habit with little to no discomfort . You can buy online or at some gas stations , it can be addictive as well but it’s legal and you can’t die . It just tastes gross and if you take too much you with throw up . Gives you energy , mood lift and takes away restless legs and helps you sleep later .

I appreciate this guys, as to getting back on subs, I was discharged from the program due to relapsing. Failed drug tests from the cocaine and 1 for h. I can get some subs from a buddy to try and slowly ween off those after h hoping it would be easier than tapering off h. Especially since it's just as mentally addictive as it is physically. The warm feeling in your entire body as it relaxes. Fortunately I've never shot up I've only used h nasally or "snorting"

The thing with buprenorphine that I think a lot of people don't understand is that it doesn't take much to take away withdrawals. I think a lot of people, myself included, shoot themselves in the foot by taking a massive dose of buprenorphine and then getting stuck at that high dose which makes it that much harder to taper off. Subs are a great tool to stave off withdrawals and honestly, like Snafu said, trying to taper off of street heroin is an impossible task. For me a dose as little as 4 mg of buprenorphine will keep me well. It might take a little more to completely kill the cravings, but 4 mg should get you feeling normal enough to get shit done. And even then, if you do go higher, there's no need to really go above 16 mg. there's a steep dose-response curve with buprenorphine and any dose higher than 16mg is only going to be fractionally more effective, if at all. So ya, my recommendation would be to get enough subs to plan a decent taper and only take enough to feel well. It ain't gonna get you high so you can forget about that. No point in prolonging the inevitable for a shitty bupe high.

Agreed w/ everyone saying tapering H by itself is a herculean feat. The only thing that's helped me w/ the least amount of accompanying addiction has been kratom. You just gotta get the good stuff. I used to take 4mg bupe a day a couple years ago. After 2+ years of H use ending at the beginning of this year, I more or less came off it cold turkey. Was in such a bad state that I could hardly down a 2mg bupe film sublingually properly. But kratom can take the edge off if done right, if you aren't planning on seeking medical attention.

I'd just like to add that kratom has certainly helped me stay sober from real opioids.

My personal take on kratom is that it is good for post acute opioid withdrawal.... it helps you stay sober.

I do not discourage you from trying kratom however I personally think it is better after you've been sober at least a week. Kratom has next to no opioid effects if you already have an opioid tolerance. IT DOES HELP, THOUGH. It's just not a miracle cure.

The thing with buprenorphine that I think a lot of people don't understand is that it doesn't take much to take away withdrawals. I think a lot of people, myself included, shoot themselves in the foot by taking a massive dose of buprenorphine and then getting stuck at that high dose which makes it that much harder to taper off. Subs are a great tool to stave off withdrawals and honestly, like Snafu said, trying to taper off of street heroin is an impossible task. For me a dose as little as 4 mg of buprenorphine will keep me well. It might take a little more to completely kill the cravings, but 4 mg should get you feeling normal enough to get shit done. And even then, if you do go higher, there's no need to really go above 16 mg. there's a steep dose-response curve with buprenorphine and any dose higher than 16mg is only going to be fractionally more effective, if at all. So ya, my recommendation would be to get enough subs to plan a decent taper and only take enough to feel well. It ain't gonna get you high so you can forget about that. No point in prolonging the inevitable for a shitty bupe high.
Absolutely agree. The prescribed dose for pain is 0.4mg in a Temgesic ( theres 0.2mg too).

I'd just like to add that kratom has certainly helped me stay sober from real opioids.

My personal take on kratom is that it is good for post acute opioid withdrawal.... it helps you stay sober.

I do not discourage you from trying kratom however I personally think it is better after you've been sober at least a week. Kratom has next to no opioid effects if you already have an opioid tolerance. IT DOES HELP, THOUGH. It's just not a miracle cure.
You really got something out of it?
Everyone seems to. Maybe i'm the odd one in the bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.