• ⭐️⭐️

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️

• ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

• Total voters
Sopranos' mesmerizing in fifth season

YOU won't see Tony Soprano walking down his driveway to pick up his morning edition of the Newark Star Ledger as he's done every episode of the last four seasons.

Things have changed since last we saw "The Sopranos" back in December 2002.

Tony doesn't live with the family anymore. Since the mob boss (James Gandolfini) and his wife Carmela (Edie Falco) split, Tony's been living in his deceased mom's house. Carmela's struggling to become the person she wants to be -- not the mob boss wife, but someone more refined. Falco's always been a presence to be reckoned with, but this season she's got a meatier role.

Carmela's a woman who has made many moral compromises in her life, but she still thinks of herself as basically a good person. And she wants to be a better one. We won't bet the house on it.

Not only is Tony's personal life in chaos, but things are shaky on the professional front. "Sopranos" creator David Chase says he was reading about all the organized crime figures who were put in jail in the 1980s. Federal agents boasted they had broken the back of the Mafia in a series of highly publicized RICO cases.

"I read an article that a lot of those guys are now getting out of jail. They've now served their time, and they are hitting the

streets again," Chase says

during a recent interview. "So the show begins with what we call the Mafia Class of 2004 hitting the streets."

And they hit the streets hard.

The genius of Chase and his cast is taking essentially despicable characters and making them mesmerizing, episode after episode. The layered characters offer humor, intensity and human nature in its most raw form. It's the closest thing to Shakespeare we've seen in contemporary times.

The tortured Tony yearns to be someone different, someone better. But, as the clich goes, a leopard can't hide its spots. After some body-thumping with his nameless mistress du jour, Tony sees "The Prince of Tides" on TV and fantasizes being with his former psychologist Dr. Melfi (Lorraine Bracco).

He sends her a cute basket with a box of Tide in it to get her attention. But even though she has her own Tony fantasies, she realizes they cannot be more than doctor-patient. After a blow-up in which she tells him she can never have a romantic relationship with him because she knows all the bad things he's done, and he calls her an anatomical term no woman should be called, Tony sends her a card apologizing for his "fowl language."

As for Uncle Junior (Dominic Chianese), the tough old man is facing an unbeatable enemy: Alzheimer's. In one scene, he watches television and sees another actor (fellow bald man Larry David on the HBO series "Curb Your Enthusiasm) thinks he's seeing himself on TV.

Strokes small and large make this series a masterpiece canvas.

Tonight, the fifth season starts with "Two Tonys," which refers not only to Tony Soprano trying to separate himself from his personal life and his dirty career but also to Tony's cousin, Tony Blundetto. Steve Buscemi comes on board as Tony B., who was just climbing up the ranks when he was slammed in jail. Tony S., who couldn't make it to the crime scene that night, dodged the law and became the crime boss.

Now Tony B.'s out and just wants to go straight as a massage therapist, a skill he learned in prison. He's still got a mouth on him, but Tony B. seems to want out of the Wise Guy loop. Or is he just lying low, ready to turn on his cousin?

Veteran actor Joe Santos ("The Rockford Files") and Robert Loggia ("Jagged Edge") play two of the paroled mobsters. While Santos' character would rather spend his remaining years playing with his grandchildren, he's forced back into the business. Loggia's character, Feech, however, is eager to get back into the life.

While the subject matter may be offensive, television doesn't get any better than this show. The blend of humor, pathos, depravity and human desires has never been portrayed in more lyrical fashion. Beyond the splendid writing and acting, there's a cadence of language, a brilliance of direction and photography that pulls you into this story that can only end badly for the principals involved.

The sixth season, which will be an abbreviated 10 episodes rather than the traditional 13, will probably mark the end of this series. Gandolfini has said that playing this tortured character has been difficult for him, and the other cast members seem ready to move on. But the end will not come easy for anyone.

"I've always looked at this show as really trying to get people a lot of bang for their buck, because it's not free. People have to pay for 'The Sopranos,'" Chase says of the HBO program.

"And personally, I've always tried to cram the show just full of this humor, suspense, violence, sex, great rock'n' roll music, cinematography and high production values, ... just cram it as tight as we can and have it be almost bursting with stuff."

Mission accomplished.

courtesy of http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82~1804~2002516,00.html

So any thoughts on the season 5 premiere eposide ? I dunno, it lacked the usual dark humor and series seems to become more soap-opera like show.

Thoughts ?

Buscemi is the man. especially since he's T's cousin. Glad he's on board. Watched the first 15 minutes before i had to leave. Thank goodness for tivo.

I have seasons 1-4. I won't be able to catch season 5 until it's over and i buy the dvds, but It's a great show.

I disagree with saying it shows to much home life, i enjoy watching the business aspects more, but the homelife really helps build the characters, especially tony and carmela.

Hehe I think I'm getting withdrawals from not having seen it for so long. :(

Fav episode would have to be the one in Season 3 where Pauly and Christopher get lost in the snow. Pure GOLD! :D

Hehehe thanks! Now I've got a new background pic, and well I guess I could read up on the seasons if I wanted to.

I've been a fan of the Sopranos for some time, though I sort of fell away from watching late in its last season due to other distractions. The show is great, but there are times it seems a little tired to me--with Tony Soprano and Meadow out of the house, and his mother dead, there is noticeably less (real) family interaction, and it just seems more like another (great) show about the Mob. Going around killing or beating up people is cool, but, I wish there was a little more down-to-Earth interaction.

Nevertheless, I love how the series has such tight story arcs from season to season that you can't help but get drawn up in the suspense. It's just a fantastic show, and I can't even explain why. I'm no film critic.

Okay complainers shit is heating up in jersey!
We got a battle for New York now that Carmine has died of that stroke. Carmines son lil carmine is going against Johnny Sack for the Boss position.
All the cappos are getting out of line.......Chrissy.....Paulie & the new old guy who just got out. Uncle Jun is getting the oldtimers and is running jersey in his slippers. Tony invited a new roommate...of all people Artie Buco? Bobby Bacala needs to slap janice around a lil but she would prolly just shoot him too. And while all this is happening Chrissys fiance Adrianna is finally telling the FBI big things about Tony & even stuff about Chris.
Discuss

It finally seems like something is going to happen! Giovi just summed up most of the possible future action. I was kind of surprised, but pleasantly surprised, that there was little to nothing about Tony and Carmella's seperation in the last episode.

I completely agree. It does finally look like there is going to be a significant amouint of action. The beef between the NY and NJ crews is going to get interesting, together with the internal squabbles in the NY crew. I think that Tony is going to have to end up picking side - either little carmine or johnny sack. The question is, what happens if/when he picks the wrong side.

I really want to see what happens with Chris' girlfriend - the rat. I am waiting for her to slip up.

Last edited:
Adrianna went from being the super hot coke lovin gangsta girlfriend to needing a couple of shots in the back of her head. Good point about them not touching on Tony & Carm this past ep but the truth is so much was going on it would have been hard to give it its fair share of time. How about that girl friend of Adrianna that was hitting on Chrissy a week ago?

I really feel sorry for Adrianna, much as I did for Big Pussy as well. She's just a perennial loser, someone who always ends up in the wrong place at the right time, but without the intelligence or strength of character to cope without folding. The Feds clearly chose the right person to milk...

I bet the elder Lamana (Robert Loggia's character) get's killed. Maybe it's just me, but it seems the show has made it a habit of introducing a new jerk-off character every season who seems destined to get whacked--Richie, Ralphie, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if Johnny buys it too, in spite of his stature. The guy is just too much of a hot-head for his own good. Then again, he's survived long enough the way he is...

How about some sort of power sharing?
-Tony

What is this the fucking UN!
- Johnny Sack

That line made me love the guy. He has the balls that Tony seems to be lacking this year.

I loved it when Paulie whacked that landscaper on the back of his head with a shovel. No warning whatsoever "Whack" making the other landscaper fall out the tree onto the pavement.

Later in the episode

"He jumped out of the tree at me with a chainsaw"
Paulie.

^^ "I got a right to defend myself Ton"

Also the whole argument with Jannis... that was classic. I love it when Tony argues with people, he lays it down like I wish I could sometimes. He doesn't take shit from anyone. It's also very dramatic... =D

I hate that I can't read this thread :X

This season will probably be out on DVD before they show it here :(

The incident with janice??????? Hmm which one?!?!?

Oh you mean the ROADIES! LOL:D