• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The Smell of MDMA

From what I can gather, similar precursor legislation now exists in most states. That means if you got caught with glassware, or synth instructions & a precursor*, you've got some serious explaining to do.

If you were manufacturing a natural lice treatment or similar product you may have just cause to possess a small amount of sassafras oil (which may be ~85% safrole) but either chemical in pure form would be considered first off to be destined for drug manufacture. Isosafrole was once used as a flavouring but is now also considered a possible carcinogen (safrole is a probable carcinogen) and so isn't used for this purpose any longer. It therefore should not be something anyone needs to have - unless you're making MDXX.

If you look at the penalties for manufacturing you'll see that even for small amounts, the maximum penalty is quite high; often several years jail.

* In reality safrole - and depending upon route - even isosafrole are starting materials, but in legal jargon, "precursor" is anything you can make a drug from or with - watch out if you possess large amounts of distilled water ;)

Weird, because you can buy sassafras oil quite easily from certain shops, but only in small amounts for rubbing oils. So if cops found that and PIHKAL in my house i'm in the shit?

Well, I used to have a small bottle of the oil which was once sold by a well known Byron based company, but around a year or so ago I didn't think it was worth having around for the reasons outlined. I used to use it in a head lice treatment I made as I found it worked better than the commercial preparations. But now the kids are grown and lice is no longer a problem I didn't see that I had any need for it. A friend who has a rather impressive array of essential oils took it off my hand to add to her collection.

Just a point on sassafras sold in certain shops; most sass available through these outlets is in-fact what's known as "Chinese Sassafras", probably made locally from camphor laurel. Due to the black market value of safrole, it's also quite likely that what's available contains little safrole as it can easily be distilled off, a little added back to the remaining terpenes etc and sold on as pure sassafras. It only takes a drop or two of safrole to give it's typical aroma. My perfumer friend has a big bottle of sassafras oil but says he never uses it as the odour is too dominating.

Unlike the genuine oil in the bottle I mentioned above, I also once purchased a few OTC bottles (25mls) for use in my Uni project. These typically contained ~17% safrole as opposed to the 85% or so typically found in sassafras oil. In estimating how much is in an OTC sassafras oil, a well known method for safrole isolation is via a freezing process (see rhodium@erowid for details). It might be an easier technique than distilling, although the exercise would definitely be sus in the eyes of the law, so I certainly don't recommend or encourage doing it.

If the cops found sassafras and PiHKAL, IMO they probably could charge you but in all likelihood, if it were only a small bottle or two, I'd suspect their case would be weak at best. Then again, 100mls of 80% safrole containing oil can produce a theoretical max yield of ~113 g of MDMA HCl i.e. over 1,000 doses.

However, if the cops also found MDMA, other illicits or chem equipment, then they might have a stronger case, or least cause for suspecting you were intending to manufacture. I could be wrong here, but there has been the odd case mentioned on B/L, where people have been busted for ordering the oil, despite them having nothing else other than a recipe. Personally, I wouldn't take the risk of possessing the oil if I didn't have a demonstratable, and acceptable (legal) use for the stuff.

Holy shit I didn't know it could make that much.
Whatever this OTC stuff is, the shop owner said someone did buy it for synthing, but it is sold as a massage oil.

I used a marquis and mandelin tester on a tiny drop of it, and it tested black instantly, no delay at all. In fact after wiping the back of the china plate with a tissue pretty damn good, you could drop either one of the testers on that mostly clean plate, and again it would turn black instantly. But no idea of the %.. I would say it is definately made locally.

I gave the vial away to a friend who likes rubbing it on the crease on his arms and his ankles and swears with a bit of sweat he gets relaxing and near psychoactive effects.

I used a marquis and mandelin tester on a tiny drop of it, and it tested black instantly, no delay at all.

If you do the test on a glass plate with a good light you should notice that the colour produced is more of a red- dark brown and distinguishable from a typical MDMA reaction.

I'd not suggest rubbing concentrated sass oil on skin for the fact that it's a recognised liver carcinogen and will be absorbed this way. It can also be quite irritating and even burn. From experience I'd say there's no relaxing or psychoactive qualities about it whatsoever, however, if metabolised it will theoretcially produce MDA in the liver. NOT RECOMMENDED!!

Maximum allowable percentage of sassafras in legal products is limited to under 1%. In some countries this is far lower ~.01% from memory. I used just over 1% in my headlice formulation as the commercial products containing <1% just didn't kill these tough little buggars.

I thought only rabbits can turn safrole into MDA, something to do with their liver.

But back to test results, the stuff I tested was definitely dark black. I wonder what else was in it...

phase_dancer said:
If you look at the penalties for manufacturing you'll see that even for small amounts, the maximum penalty is quite high; often several years jail.
So even making a small amount of mdma, say 20g, is enough to go to jail? Even if it's for yourself?:(

afaik yes. If less than two hits can get you a supply charge in NSW then it's not hard to see how authorities would likely view manufacturing of any amount. There would be varying pernalties depending upon how much a person was producing, however, it's expected that even small amounts would have a fairly stiff max sentence.

Here's the max sentences for Qld. Note that under two gram has a different maximum depending upon what court the offender appears in.

Amphetamines, 2g or more - 20 years
Amphetamines, less than 2g - District Court 15 years; Magistrates Court 3 years

Also in Qld there are penalties for possessing or publishing intructions on how to prepare a dangerous drug

PUBLISHING/POSSESSING INSTRUCTIONS

First Schedule Drugs - 25 years
Second Schedule Drugs - 20 years
Second A Schedule Drugs - 2 years

I'd expect the other states to be similar. Of course other factors would also be likely to be taken into account when sentencing such as any previous drug related record.

That seems so out of whack compared to what most would consider more serious crimes. Like tax avoidance lol. The more i learn the more i don't understand

i hv no knowledge of chemistry an just a casual user of MDMA but from my personal experience, taste does have so relation to the quality of pills.

generally, good pills with high contents of MDMA (tested with marquis reagent) would tast toxic bitter that sends some shivers as you gulp it.. if it taste a little menthol/ cool.. it's likely to contain Ket and makes me totally wasted and felt tired..

just my 2 cts

Well I will disagree. Although some of the best pills I had were strong (yellow pandas, gold rolexes, blue skies, yellow/blue smilies all of 2003/2004) had a very bitter taste. I've had many clean high doase mdma pills that didn't taste all that bitter. You could taste the MD, and iot would give that tongue stinging feeling after a second or so. But they werent overly horrible.

People who press pills chuck in anything. Expired medecines found in chemist waste bins robbed by cleaners, heart meds, anti histamines, women's pills whatever. You could have a pill with 40mg of mdma in it that tastes toxic and bitter just by chucking some pseudo or some other med into it.

I do agree to your points, as we said nobody knows what's in the pills.
I guess taste has no relation with quality...

I have a question though, I have not encountered pure crystal MDMA but if I have chance in the near future, would my marquis test be good enough to test it's quality/ purity or what result/reaction should one expect with the test kits on pure MDMA? Does the colour change faster? frizzles? bubbles? smoke?.. Is there any other way to determine it's Pure MDMA other than reagents test/lab test?

Another one is... is there any way to test the content of a pill claiming to be nimetazepam?

If you had pure MDMA powder, and mixed it with a filler, so there was 70% MDMA and 30% filler, the response would be an instant black. Pure MDMA crystal (as in uncut crystal/powder, but ranging from 80-95%+ pure = very rare) will normally fizzle a bit and go black instantly.

Testers don't really give a good indication of purity.

mouth sores occuring from just swallowing the damn pills are a result of....?

Another one is... is there any way to test the content of a pill claiming to be nimetazepam?

Although I can't find any reagent listed for testing nimetrazepam, this compound is merely N-methyl-nitrazepam, so I'd assume both should react in a similar manner.

Literature varies as to how Nitrazepam can be detected with reagents. Clarke's analysis of Drugs and Poisons states it can be detected as an orange colour upon reaction with a Formaldehyde - sulphuric acid reagent. Unfortunately this is not the same as Marquis (which contains these chemicals but in different concentrations).

The above Formaldehyde-Sulphuric acid reagent:: To four parts sulfuric acid add six parts formaldehyde solution.

NOTE that preparation of this reagent requires special conditions. Do not attempt if you're not familiar with these chemicals and the heat released upon addition of such large amounts of formalin.

Another test listed in literature states that nitrazepam gives a yellow colour with the Dille-Koppanyl reagent. This reagent is made in two parts as follows.

Part 1: 0.1 g of cobaltous acetate is dissolved in 100ml of methanol
Part 2: 5mL of isopropylamine is added to 95mL methanol

The reagents are mixed in equal portions with a sample of the suspected tablet.

Please note: isopropylamine is a particularly dangerous chemical. Again, unless you have the knowledge and facilities to do this safely, I don't advise making these reagents. NEVER ever mix the amine with isopropanol - isopropanol must not be used for cleaning anything this amine has been in contact with

It should say NM score 5 and be a pretty big pill ?

edit: sorry i read that as nitrazepam

Last edited:
Pill smell

Not sure if this has been covered before (i did try a search first, which revealed nothing)

I wouldn't say i'm a hardcore pill user, but i have a few years experience.

In my experience i've only every come across two different types of smells in pills (md pills that is)

there's the sweetish smelling ones
and then there's the foul pungent aniseedy smelling ones

which ones do you prefer? one or the other or both good?

i have personally found that the latter of the two do not have the desired effects on myself. whereas the first mentioned ones do. (this is with v. limited experience with the aniseedy smelling ones... only a few times, so i've pretty much steered clear of them for a while because of my experiences)

post your thoughts.