• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The Official NCAA Football 2005 thread

hope usc enjoyed their one-peat. heh three-peat my ass, you media whores.

Imo Pete Carroll blew the game for USC.

Two questionable 4th down calls to go for it, one in the 1st half depriving them of an almost certain field goal and giving the Horns momentum, and the 4th down call at the end of the game were calls he shouldn't have made.

He kicks that field goal in the first half, he doesn't have to sweat the 4th down call at the end of the game as much, but even without that lost 3 points he should have punted and at least made the Horns go 80 yards.

It's tough to beat Texas alone, but beating Texas and the officials... tough.

Good game, and hey, Bush and Leinart played like bitches who didn't want to get hurt and miss out on their NFL or Hollywood careers.

Well, I waited my whole life to see SC in all it's glory, like how my dad said it was, and hopefully I won't have to wait another 25 years and tell my kids about how great usc WAS.

But what a great bunch of bowl games!!!!!!

Can't wait to hear what shit you all have to throw at the west coast next season.

ps. fuck sc's off. coordinator, I can name his plays before he does. throw more money at norm chow.

hey usc fanboys-
haha you lost to the better team! hope you enjoyed your run, that wasnt back to back bcs championships ;)
dont blame officials... or coaches. one team beat the other.
give vince young, texas, etc some credit.

reread my post, I gave texas as much credit as their gonna get.

But when ref's give teams points. yeah thats fucked.

you'll get better responses from others I'm sure.

I'm a little surprised, but hey Vince Young is a champ and he played like one. Bush and Leinart didn't quite bring it the way I thought they would, but I've always thought Leinart was a little overrated. I mean, it's easy to rack up passing yards when you've got a target like Mike Williams and heavy hitters like White and Bush to keep the defense honest.

But goddamn the Trojans were getting smoked by that Texas secondary, and where the fuck was the pass protection for Leinart? Can't make plays with that kind of pressure. Nobody could touch Vince Young either. Questionable calls by Carroll, maybe, but it shows he has trust in his guys and I've always liked that about him. Bring back Norm Chow for sure!

Young got his tonight, but Reggie Bush still rightly deserved the Heisman.

At a glance....

L O V E L I F E said:
I hereby suggest that anyone who doesn't consider USC to be the PROHIBITIVE favorite to three-peat be ordered to share his hallucinogens.

WacoWas AnAccident said:
Arguably, this Trojan team is the weakest of the last few seasons but still unquestionably the best in college football.

Jefe said:
Texas certainly could put up a lot of points against the Trojans, but I'm betting Pete Carroll's gameplan and 4+ weeks to prepare would be sufficient in containing Vince Young's overall effect on the game.

Beagle said:
USC'll wreck shop again.

L O V E L I F E said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Anyone who can't concede that USC is by leaps and bounds the best team in the country should be prohibited from ever being taken seriously when discussing sports.

How about them Longhorns? ;)

Wow...what a game. It easily featured much of the elite players of college football doing their best, but also lived up to the ridiculous amount of hype surrounding it in doing so, even though history was denied.

Vince Young...well shit nothing else really needs to be said about the college football legend of the evening. The two mistakes I had costing him this game lucked out and he never lost his stride. Who needs David Carr? Anyone? Oh the Texans will buy the hype...it's too perfect.

Jamaal Charles...how much will the scouts be drooling in a year or two? I was impressed with his power.

and Mack Brown...two years removed from texas fans calling for his head, one year removed from begging for a BCS bowl spot, has finally won the BIG one and was classy in doing so. Major congrats to that fella...didn't think I'd see the day.

The arrogance of USC...boy did it cost them dearly. I maybe can see where Reggie is coming from trying to make a college football history highlight reel with that lateral, but that was just not a good decision and turned into what likely was a 10-point swing at a time where Texas is on the back of their heels early in the game making mistakes. It was like returning the favor and sparked much needed life into the 'Horns.

The two 4th down plays...well I don't really fault the playcalling. They were somewhat predictable, but understandable plays lacking in execution. The sneak is more questionable than the LenDale run since it was working all game long, though I was hoping for a play fake to him w/ Reggie involved right at that moment. If you can't pick up a yard on one play when you need to, then you probably don't deserve to win the game, and in this case, didn't.

Surprising...Texas special teams. All the hype about them being superior to the Trojans in that phase of the game and they almost cost them the win.

Now depression sets in now at this moment as the end of the college football season commences. I guess there are All-star games worth a watch, and there's recruiting to look forward too, and then spring practice, the summer...yeah can't wait, as usual.

BA: nice to see nothing's changed. :D

If you need someone to beat up, find Kirk Herbstreit, no.1 trojan cocksucker. His prediction was nearly picture-perfect, but he forgot about the ending he missed out on that Lee Corso read. Damn it's a sad night in college football when Corso's right!

LapDawg said:
BA: nice to see nothing's changed. :D

Damn it's a sad night in college football when Corso's right!

:D

i *love* games like that when i have no rooting interest. as a texas or usc fan i'd still be staring at a blank television screen trying to figure out what it was that just happened.

this game was amazing but it sure as hell wasnt the best game i've ever seen. it was a game of momentum swings that saw both teams at one time or another playing well below their potential. shotty officiating, special team blunders, # 1 draft picks making back yard football type of decisions w/ the ball... this was a shitty game by a lot of standards, but goddamn that vince young made my day.

what an amazing show of poise by vince young, and all while looking like he's having the time of his life. leinart on the otherhand looked like he was anxious to get outta there. he became a nonfactor in that game after taking a pretty tough hit on a qb scramble and poorly executed slide.

where as vince young showed a national audience what he's made of, i think leinart probably did the same; it's just gonna be less lucrative for leinart.

anyhoo good game, great season and all rooting interests aside i think osu looks the strongest of all 4 bcs game winners. go bucks!

Woah, easy guys, just busting balls. ;)

I think the worst call of the game was mid-way through the 4th quarter (I think it was) when the TX receiver caught the ball, went to run, and a SC player stripped it and recovered it. The refs ruled the receiver never had control, yet he had enough time to grab the catch, pull it down, and make a decision on which way to turn and run? I think that would have put SC in good position had they recovered it and the play stood.

Vince is definitely the star of the night, as everyone has said. Great BCS games this year, minus that LSU & Miami game. :D

I can't let that last comment slide cravN heh. The best of the 4 winners? Well...maybe looking forward to next year, but then again if we're doing that I think WVU looked the best and proved more than OSU did. Texas too esp. if Vince inexplicably decides to stay in school.

For a game that received more hype than I've ever seen for a college football game, it did its best to live up to it. Between this and OSU/Miami, it's a tough call but it certainly deserves mention when you talk about a premiere national championship game. Had this game not been littered with some costly and/or stupid mistakes, it might've been a much different game...one not nearly as exciting in my mind.

LapDawg said:
The two 4th down plays...well I don't really fault the playcalling. They were somewhat predictable, but understandable plays lacking in execution. The sneak is more questionable than the LenDale run since it was working all game long, though I was hoping for a play fake to him w/ Reggie involved right at that moment. If you can't pick up a yard on one play when you need to, then you probably don't deserve to win the game, and in this case, didn't.

Well the 2nd and more critical of the 4th down calls was a 4th and short 2, not 1, on the 40-yd line no less. Nursing a 5 pt. lead and with the Horns still in possession of all their timeouts even if you did get the first down, imo the cost-benefit just doesn't add up to going for it in that situation. Sure, you're still having to rely on your defense holding up, but with a short clock that extra 20 or more yards could very well have been the difference.

The first 4th down call I could at least see from an aggressive standpoint, although I think the downside was worse than the upside with the Horns already on their heels and in need of a momentum shift. 3 pts and retain momentum vs. stopper and relinquish momentum, I go for the 3.

seemed more like one and a half to me, but in any case I don't blame them for thinking LenDale could pick that up. He already scored on a 4th down play. If anything, those two calls aligned with USC thinking and playcalling all year long...hence why I can't really fault them since they've been consistent with it...but yes, you're right in saying they're questionable calls and ones the Trojans will be regretting over time.

Leinart made that first call. Carroll was trying to get a timeout in before the play...perhaps to bring in Danelo?

LapDawg said:
I can't let that last comment slide cravN heh. The best of the 4 winners? Well...maybe looking forward to next year, but then again if we're doing that I think WVU looked the best and proved more than OSU did. Texas too esp. if Vince inexplicably decides to stay in school. .

I certainly agree with you on the Texas being as good as Vince Young deciding to stay or go. WVU looks like it finally won its BCS respect with its voracious running game and slippery freshman quarterback. I think OSU has been peaking at the all the right times and their offense just got more explosive and explosive. their running game is gelling and this is because they have receivers who can obviously CATCH the big play but can also BLOCK downfield (oh yeah, receivers blocking whodathunk?).

concerning next year - OSU is the team that might look most promosing and on the ESPN talk stations they have already been talking about a 1 - 3 pre-season ranking.

I feel anxious because I am overlooking PSU - who has boasted a young lineup all season. but how many more years does their coach have??

WOW! What a conceited baby Matt Leinhart is!!!!!!!

Did anyone else here his comments right after his team got beat by Texas?

"We still think we're the best team in the country, they just got lucky"

WHATEVER LEINHART!!!! You guys got beat, you're inferior to Texas, and that's that. You guys definitely are NOT the best team in the country, get over yourself!!!!!8(

And as much as I love OSU, how can everyone say they will be a preseason #2 when they lose I believe 8 out of 11 starters on D, which is the biggest reason they did what they did this year?

Sure TS and TG will be back, but replacing Hawk, Carpenter, and Shleigel will be a hefty task indeed.

Lienhart must still have been dizzy from getting his bell rung for the first time since high school if he thinks Texas "just got lucky". Hes overlooking his own meltdown and sulkfest.