• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

the market: stocks, bonds, options, whatever

While skepticism towards market predictability is valid, dismissing market cycles entirely may overlook valuable insights. Some information platforms like https://fxci.com/ could help navigate these complexities, offering tools and education to make informed decisions in a dynamic financial landscape. But with all this knowledge, it is up to you to make decisions, and I agree that this is the hardest part.

Last edited:
While skepticism towards market predictability is valid, dismissing market cycles entirely may overlook valuable insights. Some information platforms could help navigate these complexities, offering tools and education to make informed decisions in a dynamic financial landscape. But with all this knowledge, it is up to you to make decisions, and I agree that this is the hardest part.
ChatGPT, that you bro?

All I know is BTC is massively overbought. One final blow off top to 75k is possible, but we go back to 50k or below. This is not sustainable, I don't give two fucks whether the institutions and ETFs are pouring money in or not, this is NOT sustainable.

Bitcoin price pumps coincide with Tether liquidity events, which is like crypto QE except that the new "money" isn't going towards any productive enterprise. It has been a heavily manipulated market ever since stablecoin nonsense, it's not a question of if the price collapses but when

Pardon the question, but would you be willing to dish on stablecoin for a moment? You're the first person that I've heard speak ill of it. I know very little about it.

it's a type of crypto that claims to be 1:1 peg to dollar, but really it's some yahoos playing central bank and periodically dumping liquidity into the market pretending that their cryptos is worth the equivalent of dollars.

but it's not really backed by much at all. there's over $100bn of Tether in circulation but less than $2bn in hard assets were reported on audit.

i'm not really sure how such an enormous fraud is able to keep operating like this, but i guess it's not that different from the TRILLIONS of dubious derivitives trading in regulated markets.

I should sell MSTR. Been in it just over a year so I get a lower tax rate now and it went up way more than I ever expected. They bought ~$800M more bitcoin over the weekend with dilutive convertible debt too

Any other pointers about the tax implications of trading? I've long ignored these factors, perhaps to my own disadvantage. Thanks.
One thing that a lot of people don't know at first is the wash sale rule, and they end up screwing themselves instead of getting off to a good start.

Definitely don't buy a stock back within 30 days if you sold it for a loss, unless the loss was like $50 and you're buying $10K worth at a lower price. It's a wash sale, and then you won't be able to claim the original loss on your taxes or even the potential loss on the 2nd buy. So if you have $10K in wash sales, but have $30K in actual capital gains, then instead of owing taxes on $30K you'll owe taxes on $40K

It can be real bad if you daytrade the same stock a ton. This guy had $45K in capital gains but had an $800K tax bill

Even buying similar stuff can count, so like a nat gas bull etf, and then you buy a different nat gas bull etf within 30 days of selling the first one at a loss

"Investors who sell a security at a loss cannot claim it if they have purchased the same or a similar security within 30 days (before or after) the sale"

$MDGL FDA approval meeting tomorrow. If they don't get approved because of a minor issue like labeling and it tanks then definitely buy it because it will eventually end up approved

Congrats, man. Seems like you were really pulling for this one!
Thanks! VKTX could rise in value more, even tho it's skyrocketed already, and potential FDA approval isn't close, but keep an eye on it.

MDGL only has one drug, VKTX has a NASH drug which is a few years behind MDGL but just as good, and they have a GLP-1 drug (like Ozempic) and their market cap isn't that much more than MDGL now. I think VKTX gets bought out by big pharma because they have a pipeline of multiple drugs unlike MDGL

Wow, they're going to have the drug manufactured and distributed in April, which is a lot sooner than I assumed. 315K potential patients at $40-$50K per patient. Even 10% of that market is over $1B in revenue, and they're the only FDA approved drug for NASH for at least a year or two, maybe longer

My brother bought ROOT at $38 less than 3 weeks ago and it's $60 now. Stock is up 550% in 30 days. I gotta look into it because it looks like they may become profitable and their current market cap of $863M is low for the revenue growth recently. $195M revenue last quarter reported with $24M loss

Feels like there's gotta be some sort of red flag/s but idk

My brother bought ROOT at $38 less than 3 weeks ago and it's $60 now. Stock is up 550% in 30 days. I gotta look into it because it looks like they may become profitable and their current market cap of $863M is low for the revenue growth recently. $195M revenue last quarter reported with $24M loss

Feels like there's gotta be some sort of red flag/s but idk

...the insurance company?