• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

the market: stocks, bonds, options, whatever

Crazy. Yeah was a tense evening, for those of us of the sort to be all in and to let it ride. Meanwhile the Dow is up half a percent this morning.

Nonetheless, I went ahead and picked up an entry position in Global X's RYLD fund.

Interesting, I've been watching my Russell 2000 fund for signs of life but it hasn't moved much in a while.

I think that small cap is really the place to be picking sector specific ETFs, as the companies are inherently less diversified than the F500 lot, so with Russell 2000 it feels like it's not enough for just one sector to be booming to see it move the needle

with Russell 2000 it feels like it's not enough for just one sector to be booming to see it move the needle

You're not kidding. It's like when someone repeats the maxim, "No one can beat the market on a long term basis," my response is, "I beat the market nearly all of the time." Because the market carries a lot of dead weight companies that meet the index requirements. But that's not saying much. Don't the flashier indexes....carry a lot of sluggish stuff like airlines? Dinosaur car companies. Tech companies that haven't seen radical growth in fifteen years.

You just surf the indexes and learn not to pick the grandpa companies. Beating the indices is a cake walk.

Now that Global X fund that I mentioned pays a 12.5% yield. Or else why would I bother? Should be a sustainable profit model.

So I was finally bored enough today that I bothered to look up inflation.

Holy cow! Turns out inflation basically was fine until a few months into the Wuhan Flu quarantine. ...it's almost as if shutting the country down, and they paying people to do nothing violated the fundamental principles that kept the kleptocracy nominally operational?

Who would have thought?

Biggest wealth transfer in history. Absolutely criminal.

True.

Hey what does everyone think about Exxon-Mobil stock? Should report earnings tomorrow morning, no? This is the last chance to get stock after hours before they report.

True.

Hey what does everyone think about Exxon-Mobil stock? Should report earnings tomorrow morning, no? This is the last chance to get stock after hours before they report.

Did Exxon just miss on earnings? Abort, abort! No es bueno.

Wonder what BlackBerry $BB is up to (used to be $RIM Research In Motion). Seems like a potential sleeper play at $1.66B market cap if they come out with something that is even somewhat disruptive. Haven't looked into it at all yet but just remembered them after watching the history of cell phone development

I still have 6 or so original BlackBerry smartphones, lol. The first smartphone which ended up getting destroyed by Apple in 2007

GMTCGrCWwAANcef

I am scared to invest my stocks into any fund where the yeild% seems to good to be true. Bernie Madoff, his bs has scared me, to the point that I am scared of trusting anyone or any company with my money. Any suggestions on safe funds with a decent yeild%, but not too risky?

Wonder what BlackBerry $BB is up to (used to be $RIM Research In Motion). Seems like a potential sleeper play at $1.66B market cap if they come out with something that is even somewhat disruptive. Haven't looked into it at all yet but just remembered them after watching the history of cell phone development

Apple ate their lunch, and they just kind of rolled over.

AdobeStock_113996293-1280x640.jpeg

"Arf! Arf! Don't tell me to innovate!"

If you are into gadgets, how about Stereotaxis? They make surgery robots.

And our next contesting on Investing with Gordon Liddy is none other than our very own @Jnowhere

I am scared to invest my stocks into any fund where the yeild% seems to good to be true.

That's smart! That's why you have to look at a company's line of credit, their debt ratio, their tangible assets, their recurring revenue and most importantly...

....THEIR FREE CASH FLOW!

Because if a yield seems too good to be true? It's probably fine but you need to do your homework, Brah!

gv-ucetni.jpg

Bernie Madoff, his bs has scared me, to the point that I am scared of trusting anyone or any company with my money.

Yes, and so what I do is I try to buy the same companies that all of the biggest sharks in the business buy. If Warren Buffet buys a stock....do you think that anyone is going to rip off Warren Buffet? By making the same plays as the professionals, you're teaming up with them to keep the market honest.

Because here on the Gordon Liddy show we don't trust these CEO further than we can throw them. At least I don't. Did you know that you're allowed to call any of these companies and directly ask them questions? Who knew? I'm not saying trust, I'm saying verify.

Any suggestions on safe funds with a decent yeild%, but not too risky?

Make a list of companies that have good yields and report back here. We'll help you separate the wheat from the chaff.

Make a list of companies that have good yields and report back here. We'll help you separate the wheat from the chaff.
Thoughts on $IEP?

Also, a chinese shipping ADR $OROVY does pay like 20% div but the stock price reflects that + some when divs are issue - I have noticed you can kind of play swings on it but you're not catching the dividends at those points still coming out ahead of the 20% div though.

Last I heard they pivoted out of phones and hardware and into security and software. I know when I was selling Fords they were using BB's QNX system but were shifting to Google operating system as of last year maybe 2 years ago. Don't know much more

Thoughts on $IEP?

Icahn Enterprises is a fascinating case. I happen to have taken a position in Icahn which tells you something. Much as you can imagine, my interest in Icahn is for the 23% dividend.

Here is what makes me unhappy about Icahn though, is that Icahn Enterprises, through its subsidiaries, engages in the investment, energy, automotive, food packaging, real estate, home fashion, and pharma businesses in the United States and Internationally. ... The Energy segment refines and markets transportation fuels in the form of gasoline and diesel fuels, as well as renewable diesel; and manufactures nitrogen fertilizers in the form of urea ammonium nitrate and ammonia. The Automotive segment sells automotive parts and materials, and retailed merchandise; offers automotive repair and maintenance services; and leases real estate properties. The Food Packaging segment produces and sells cellulosic, fibrous, and plastic casings that are used to prepare and package processed meat products. ...

...so basically I don't understand how Icahn Enterprises makes their money. But the company trades for only 1.8 times book, and has $8.99 per share of free cash flow. Maybe things are allright? I went ahead and voted with my money.

Icahn and Agency Investment Corp are the only two companies that I'm invested in where I'm not really sure how they make their money.

That's why I'm much happier to talk about Medical Properties & Trust as well as Palantir, who's business models I much better understand.

Last edited: