• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

the market: stocks, bonds, options, whatever

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
do you invest in stocks or those other confusing things? do people in europe and other far away places still trade in NASDAQ and NYSE?

i recently opened an account with an online broker. while waiting for all my account stuff to clear -- took forever -- i've been trying to figure the game out. it's horrible. reading press release after newsletter after blog post. i can't get enough.

it actually is kinda horrible. the copy seems written by computers. some of the articles are. automated sends triggered by algorithms. they're full of language i should understand before investing the amount of money i transferred into my brokerage account -- but so it goes. and while i like it and am lurking, i'm not ready for the broker's message board.

bluelight should have a thread about investing. it used to. back after the crash in late 2008, GenericMind said he was thinking about investing in a few solid bluechips that had hit new lows. i assume he now wakes up to mimosas on the french riviera.

people on here have obsessive personalities. could be advantageous. and unlike following big online trends that seem to lead to big spreads and/or excited talk about entry points you've missed, i bet bluelighters dig up some interesting finds that are not hot nation- or worldwide.

in like the 10 days it took for my information to error, be resubmitted, be approved, pass the waiting period, blah bah i've been watching a few. KNDI, AMD, NLY, KMI & KMP, ARIA, CNDO, and of course AAPL. KNDI is the most interesting of them. i don't really watch ARIA or CNDO anymore. though some major drug from one of the two regained FDA approval and hits shelves again the 15ish. i haven't committed to looking for an entry point on any of the above. some of them are interesting jokes like NLY, some are interesting but feel scary like KNDI, and some are getting serious consideration like KMI. AMD seems like a lot of fun, but too hot and too volatile.

anyone making it big or losing it all?

well, i made two entries today. both listed on the NASDAQ, but KNDI is chinese.

KNDI at $12.5799 USD -- day's high was 13.35 and low was 12.55, so i nailed that. but only relative to today. 52wk range is $3.37 - $14.35. i'm jumping on the bandwagon, and it's pretty scary. the person who tipped my off says yeah it's volatile as fuck and it may seem like the entry point has passed, but china is talking about legislature that would limit the number of license plates distributed to vehicles that are not green, as well a tightening emission standards. all the sudden kandi's electric cars will be even sexier. and they have an interesting model of car "vending machines" that allows customers to rent by the hour. seems like the kinda thing that could take off with china's somewhat recent car obsession and developing emissions problem.

ARIA at $6.7 USD -- days high was $6.97 and low was $6.66. again, my entry point is only nice relative to the day. 52wk range is $2.15 - $23.00. but they are presenting a company overview at the annual j.p. morgan healthcare conference on the 14th. where i expect they will talk about re-releasing iclusig with the mandated box warning. it has other restrictions as well, like the company has to develop some risk mitigation plan to keep healthcare providers informed. essentially it's a last resort for some leukemia patients. its temporary loss of FDA approval is responsible for a plummet and the resulting crazy 52 week range. obviously hope the news stirs up something good, and am really interested to see what happens the preceding monday. i was worried that it wasn't trading much around noon today given the impending news, but it all happened yesterday and early this morning. fuck, even if it drops down to two bucks on tuesday after hours and wednesday, i'm not gonna shit myself. they are not gonna bankrupt, and i can afford to ride it out.

two horribly risky buys. i heard scared money doesn't make money.

oh, and obviously nothing said in this thread is advice in any way.

Last edited:
i don't know what that says about investing either. sounds like running a business.

dumped ARIA at $7.23 USD yesterday. hard to complain about selling in the green, but i'm going to. it touched $9 today.

KNDI is driving some people i know crazy. it hit low $15s last week. today it closed at $12.37. i wouldn't have minded taking advantage of that spike and subsequent dip. it actually happened twice. sucks not making money because i'm at work. i'm not nervous. it's just i'm not capitalizing as much as i could have. i considered buying more today cause it's so low. i'm not trying to create an over concentrated portfolio of nothing but day trader stocks; it's just happening.

mentioned AMD two weeks ago. in that time, it has crushed and made people. crazy dips and spikes.

a game of shoulda, woulda, coulda. fun.

ARIA is up 34% & KNDI hit a new 52 week high since my mentioning. did you sell? 10% sound fair? i accept money orders and cash. in a birthday card, please.

I personally would only invest by setting acceptable risk levels and growth targets. Consider calculating your portfolio's alpha score relative to the market to see your level of risk and make sure it is acceptable. Profit is the reward for bearing risk, but too much risk and you become more a gambler and less someone with financial security.

I personally would only invest by setting acceptable risk levels and growth targets. Consider calculating your portfolio's alpha score relative to the market to see your level of risk and make sure it is acceptable. Profit is the reward for bearing risk, but too much risk and you become more a gambler and less someone with financial security.

This.

Sell when you hit your growth target, don't get greedy. Pigs go to the slaughter.

Also, taking some basic accounting courses or at least reading a book would be wise. Being able to understand yearly (10-K) and and quarterly (10-Q) SEC filings is an invaluable tool. Here is an example

http://archive.fast-edgar.com//20140108/APZPL22CZ222N2Z2222M22ZZPUNAZDX72262/

Press releases are fine and dandy but they are basically PR.. AKA Bullshit to get people interested. Relying on press releases is like buying a car because the salesman says you should. In order to make a valuable purchase you must understand how the car works and what it's limitations are.

Last edited:
accounting classes? i'm a great gambler.

but you're right. to an extent. pigs go to the slaughter. time is money. i do have a basic understanding of a fiscal report. though not the specifics of an SEC filing. on my list of shit to read about. i'm not holding these stocks for long. many of these companies are reporting negative earnings and trying to recover from a plummet. a few books are certainly in my future. as i refine my process, there is money to be made. playing these little cult stock bubbles seems like it could work. for now.

post your portfolio. no need for number of shares, contracts, etc. just your thought behind.

and oh, i get why you mentioned this guy owning a night club, Kenickie. initial post was a long time ago.

Last edited:
if the thread's gonna die, don't worry; i'll let it. but seeing as the above two posters seem to know what they are talking about, maybe there is still a chance of further or additional participation.

china is having significant problems with credit and loans. resulting in a major bailout. investors' confidence has not been reaffirmed. betting against china's economy in the long run seems a little silly to me, and i'm not snazzy or daring enough to short stocks. chinese companies being traded on foreign markets, such as KNDI, have plummeted. just something to note. at the moment, i'm just trying to get out of KNDI in the 15s. no stop 'cause i'm making money on this one. then i will play dips and spikes like i should have from the get go. others i know are much deeper invested and plan on holding for years. i'm not shaking my head at them. the company seems to have a detailed and realistic plan for major expansion.

ARIA dropped over 12% today. already past -13%, if you care at all about ah.

there's blood all over the floor from last friday and today. this is a week to watch for entry points. again, i'm a greedy greenie who dives in hard. i am not in any way giving financial advice. just sharing my current strategy.

KMI at $35.59 usd -- goes ex div on the 29th at 41¢ a share. second time it hasn't gone up in a three years, but it's a high div and it has never decreased. paid quarterly. hate to buy right before ex div, but i didn't a few weeks ago at its moment of $33. and while KMI was a flicker of green in a sea of red today, it really hasn't spiked like a stock about to go ex div. i don't have a pt at this point. revenue reports, earnings forecast, and trends in eps, etc. all support holding for years. at the moment. i hope if i contact tradeking tomorrow i can have the holding enrolled in their free(!) drip plan that same day. doubtful. KMI doesn't have a drip plan of its own.

looking for an entry point for PG. it's currently ex div, which is dandy by me. i put in an order at $78.4, and barely missed it. maybe for the best. as i write this, last ah trade was $78.4 -- tradeking only facilitates ah trades until 5pm est. maybe it will dip a little further tomorrow.

Last edited:
been dabbling in stocks for the past few years myself. toronto though, not new york

unfortunately i don't think you'll get much discussion going on BL, thread speaks for itself

if only people on BL would spend less on drugs and invest with the $ saved. maybe that should be the goal of this thread

I don't claim to be an expert, but I'm going to put up the most noob-friendly advice / examples I can give (that I wish I knew when starting out):

if you have $1000 in the bank just sitting there in a high-interest savings account, in Canada it'll typically get you 2% tops... which is $24 in 1 year
the annual rate of inflation in Canada has been around 1-3% per year for the last 4 years.
so if you leave your $ sitting in the bank with 2% interest, while the inflation rate is 3%, you're actually losing $ in a sense.

Anyways, with $1000 invested (usually the minimum amount required), even with a fairly small 10% increase in a year, you'll have $120 instead of $24 from the bank.

The above example is really what got me into investing.

What I've done is to read up on Investopedia: http://www.investopedia.com/investing/investing-basics/

And I also used their simulator, which lets you invest with fake $.
http://www.investopedia.com/simulator/

Did about a year of that, then actually opened an account and used my own money.
Year 1: -26.75% annual return (learned A LOT)
Year 2: 40% annual return
Year 3: 26.25% annual return

I've added money as I went along, but basically I'm up about 40%. That's roughly the equivalent of leaving my $ in a 2% interest savings account for 20 years

tumblr_m4jk2xMGyB1qkvfdzo1_500.png

well said, Max.

rough first year, miscbrahh. and after an entire year of learning with a simulator. reminds me of people who get those remote control helicopters.

glad to hear things are working better for you now. i'm practicing with real money. maybe that's stupid, but no risk means no effort. in a sense, that'd be losing money.

well said, Max.

rough first year, miscbrahh. and after an entire year of learning with a simulator. reminds me of people who get those remote control helicopters.

glad to hear things are working better for you now. i'm practicing with real money. maybe that's stupid, but no risk means no effort. in a sense, that'd be losing money.

hey at least you're giving it a shot. i think you'll learn a lot quicker this way (for better or worse), by using your own $. best of luck!

holyfuckingshit. this is the most frustrating thing in the world and i don't believe that anyone has any idea whatthefuck they are doing.

i appreciate the best wishes, miscbrahh. to you too. if you know any solid resources on establishing entry points -- or have personal strategy you'd like to share -- i'd love to read. sick of the plethora of investing trash fueled by PPC ads. i've been taking screen caps of one-day charts of the stocks i'm watching so i can try to establish when they are trading low and when they are trading high during the day, but it seems like there must be a website that already stores that info. overlaps days. allows you to see overall trends in that stock's hourly movement. right?

If Wolf of Wall Street was directed by Godard it would be titled, hydroazuanacaine.

holyfuckingshit. this is the most frustrating thing in the world and i don't believe that anyone has any idea whatthefuck they are doing.

i appreciate the best wishes, miscbrahh. to you too. if you know any solid resources on establishing entry points -- or have personal strategy you'd like to share -- i'd love to read. sick of the plethora of investing trash fueled by PPC ads. i've been taking screen caps of one-day charts of the stocks i'm watching so i can try to establish when they are trading low and when they are trading high during the day, but it seems like there must be a website that already stores that info. overlaps days. allows you to see overall trends in that stock's hourly movement. right?

Maybe this link can help you out: https://www.quantnet.com/threads/free-historical-intraday-stock-data.3275/
^ FYI I've never bothered to look for info like this

In terms of personal strategy, I only trade on the TSX, with companies that I've become somewhat familiar with.
Just gotta be patient and wait for what I believe is a solid entry point... overall it's worked for the last couple of years (but then again one could argue that it's been a bull market etc and I really have no clue what I'm doing)

Used to also do the Venture exchange but that usually ended up with losses, I avoid that like the plague now. For example, I put a bunch of TSX-V companies on one of my watchlists, totally forgot about it for a year, checked back... and saw that over 90% of them had gone down drastically, or simply did not exist anymore...

thanks! "historical intraday" is the search term i was looking for. though it seems reliable data either costs time or money. i'll be sticking with detailed end-of-market screenshots until i stumble across exactly what i'm looking for.

what i've been looking at tends to be NYSE and NASDAQ, but that's not intentional. and not great in minimizing risk either, as they tend to move together. more so than a randomly selected market pair.

i don't know the story, but i hear the Wolf of Wall Street guy wasn't ethical in all personal and professional decisions. and that he ended up bankrupt...