• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☛ Official ☚ The Big & Dandy Nutmeg Thread

There aren't any alkaloids in nutmeg; you can't acid/base extract it. Solvent extraction would yield mostly trimyristin, a nutmeg fat.

The psychoactive components are probably stuff like myristicin and elemicin. They are extractable via steam distillation, 'cause they're volatile neutral compounds w/o basic nitrogens.

It's been a longstanding rumor that they can be converted to psychedelic amphetamines by adding ammonia, but it's much more complex in reality than just mixing the two. Conversion doesn't happen in the liver or gut either. Otherwise, MD(M)A from safrole would be much easier to make.

Nutmeg is pretty close to a deleriant in terms of effects. It certainly isn't anything like the psychedelic amphetamines.

Last edited:
I read that Nutmeg is "only a slight MAOI".

Does this mean that it cannot be safely mixed with Prozac?

What about Klonopin?

And does it truly cause liver damage, or only in high quantities?

So Im flat broke until Friday, got a whole dollar to my name. Ballin. Anyway Ive had this nagging sober feeling since Saturday and I think Id like to get rid of it with the help of either some ground nutmeg from the 99 cent store or a bottle of cough syrup (cheap shit has no guafenesin) to make tomorrow more bearable. Anyway after reading the thread seems like the powder is markedly weaker than fresh nutmeg. Would 2 teaspoons of powder do anything besides taste nasty and cause nausea? Or is 2 teaspoons for the stronger fresh nutmeg nuts? Im not trying to get all trashed Id really just like something to "take the edge off" so to speak while Im sitting around on my ass all day tomorrow. Ill probably eat a couple teaspoons and hope for the best in the morning.

If you guys think I should skip the low dose powder and get some cough syrip instead, I might do that. Just kicking around an idea. Thanks all.

i literally don't know what to say about that one........ i wouldn't suggest either frankly and wait until you can afford some real drugs?

i understand your dilemma though i was in germany for a week and seriously considered eating some of the belladonna that was growing outside for the hell of it, glad i didn't, probably best you don't mess around with this kinda stuff

spending your last dollar on a low dose of nutmeg powder would probably end up disappointing even if it works.

Yeah thanks for the replies gentlemen I said fuck it and bought a donut with my last buck instead. Im not 15 anymore.

So Im flat broke until Friday, got a whole dollar to my name. Ballin. Anyway Ive had this nagging sober feeling since Saturday and I think Id like to get rid of it with the help of either some ground nutmeg from the 99 cent store or a bottle of cough syrup (cheap shit has no guafenesin) to make tomorrow more bearable. Anyway after reading the thread seems like the powder is markedly weaker than fresh nutmeg. Would 2 teaspoons of powder do anything besides taste nasty and cause nausea? Or is 2 teaspoons for the stronger fresh nutmeg nuts? Im not trying to get all trashed Id really just like something to "take the edge off" so to speak while Im sitting around on my ass all day tomorrow. Ill probably eat a couple teaspoons and hope for the best in the morning.

If you guys think I should skip the low dose powder and get some cough syrip instead, I might do that. Just kicking around an idea. Thanks all.

The pre-powdered is definitely much weaker, and also more expensive. If you must try nutmeg, 1-2 tbsp of ground whole nutmeg is the best way to go. I tried it a few times over a decade ago, I actually more or less enjoyed it, it never got really strong but it was a nice feeling. I did feel off for a couple of days and had absolutely zero sex drive for that period as well, which made my girlfriend wonder what was up (or not up as it were). The experience was nothing to wrote home about, but not bad either. It lasts a long time.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Xorkoth. After reviewing the entire thread and others, I ended up deciding against eating nutmeg. I have court in less than 48 hours and I really cant afford to show up anything but completely sober and on point. What a powerful spice, to effect you even several days later on just teaspoon or tablespoon amounts. Hours of horrid burps, extreme dry mouth, and glassy blood red eyes dont sound too appealing either at the moment..Perhaps in the future, I may change my mind.

Good choice, especially since it was just to kill boredom (one of the worst habits to get into with drugs IMO). It does give you glassy, red eyes, even worse than weed. I just felt a little cloudy and spacey for a couple of days, I wasn't high anymore but it definitely impaired me to some degree, especially socially. Not really worth it to me, I highly doubt I'll ever do it again.

I have tried Benadryl probably a half dozen time recreationally. So far, I can say it suck, and if nutmeg is anything like it, I don't want to try it.
they're both deleriants, so they're somewhat similar,but I've heard benydril gives almost everyone bad trips almost every time.

I think I am probably alone in having had an unusually positive, glowing (and PEAish iirc*) +++ experience from nutmeg when I did it as a stupid young person
it's on erowid somewhere I think but since it was written by an edgy 14 year old boy it probably isn't of much value
that said, I said I am probably alone in having a positive experience so don't do it; also, it's bad for you

*think PEAish in the sense of MMDAesque dreamy cev stuff albeit with a heavy side of stoned quasi delirium and unpleasant physicality but I would disagree that it is not psychedelic in the proper sense

I tried it when I was 14 and when my parents sent me away to live with my granny up in the boondocks with supposedly no access to drugs. It was pretty cool. Gave me brain movies. Had a bitch of a hangover to it though .But then I discovered that my grandma had dexedrine and phenobarbital and random opiates and shit left over in the medicine cabinet from like 1973 and stuff like that so I left the nutmeg in the cider from then on. I have an odd desire to try it again, but no 3-4 day period to devote to getting stoned on the damn stuff and then recovering from it. Nor the inclination to mess with my already-beshitted liver. But yeah, it is probably a better drug than it is made out to be in the imagination of many drug users

Last edited:
I've always enjoyed nutmeg. I think it has bad rap. I've taken it here and there during periods of 'supervision'. Feels a lot like weed, less head fucky, got kind of nice glow to it. Takes so long to come up, that you forgot you took anything by the time it kicks in.%) Biggest drawback is the taste and dosing can be a bit tricky. Too much nutmeg is not fun and I think that's why people always are dogging it. The essential oil seems to be the way to go but never tried that.

What dose should I take to have a enjoyable nutmeg experience without having a bad time or way too intense?

What dose should I take to have a enjoyable nutmeg experience without having a bad time or way too intense?

We have no idea of your personal metabolism or bodyweight, so it's hard to say.

I've had positive experiences using a tincture, 15 freshly ground nuts in 200mL 85% alcohol soaked for two weeks gives a lovely red liquid, 15 drops of this liquid will give a noticeable effect. Use fresh whole nuts, select the ones which appear reddish inside - they are the better ones. Mace (the spice!!) works also and is arguably better.

Combining with black pepper improves effects. Look into some of the other nutmeg recipes which are around, seek and ye shall find...

Don't mess around with this stuff. Overdoses are unpleasant and most of the bad trip reports are because of overdose (and poor technique, and lack of preparation).

ever tried making a nutmeg + black pepper combination tincture?

I've found the tincture alone to work so well that I've not bothered with the simple addition of a teaspoon of black pepper. However, my usual approach with the tincture is 15 - 30 drops in a large, strong milky coffee accompanying a fried egg on buttered toast with tomato ketchup and... a liberal sprinkling of black pepper. So the answer is perhaps 'sort of'.

Also I've tried the 'space paste' formula (but minus the maple syrup), which works reasonably well, and also makes an amazing tincture.

I've had two recent experiences that are noteworthy. Firstly I made an omelette with elemi, nutmeg and dill essential oils - 6 drops of each - along with a good tablespoon of tarragon (estragole source) and a couple of tomatoes. This I seasoned liberally with black pepper and washed down with a large cup of coffee. About 2 hours later I smoked a tiny amount of (good quality) herbal cannabis. Euphoria and intensification of colour perception were noted to a far greater degree than usual. This made for a pleasant evening with good company.

More recently I put 6 drops of my standard nutmeg tincture into 20mL of Amaretto (almond liqueur) and then added this mixture to a cup of cinnamon tea (three types of cinnamon plus licorice root). I was expecting a mild antidepressant effect from such a small dose of nutmeg but was rather surprised by the level of mood elevation and the ECV's that resulted. The effect was also somewhat aphrodisiacal.

I've not taken high doses of nutmeg as I'm decidedly wary of its impact on my liver; I was truly staggered by how powerful the effects of a mere 6 drops of tincture could be!
To get a bit more precise, using 85% ethanol I made 150mL of tincture with 15 nutmegs (forgot to weigh them...) and with my dropper, 30 drops is about 5mL which equates to half a nut. Therefore effects were felt from a tenth of a nut in highly bioavailable and biochemically synergised form.

I say prune it. Nutmeg is a horrendous way to attempt getting high. I ate 2oz of nutmeg powder one night - that was an ordeal in itself. Nothing happened, until I woke up the next morning in what I can only describe as the worst whitey one could imagine. Cue 36 hours of spinning, puking and holding onto the floor because I thought I was falling off. It's also very hepatotoxic. Not recommended.

Nevertheless, as we're a leading source of drug information, we want to provide high-quality information for anything people might choose to ingest. At least this way people thinking about trying it can see others saying not to, and why.

Nevertheless, as we're a leading source of drug information, we want to provide high-quality information for anything people might choose to ingest. At least this way people thinking about trying it can see others saying not to, and why.

Fair point :)