• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

The afterlife...

but your original question wasn't about animals. you wrote "Why do we as a humans know about our eventually coming death?"

you seem to have answered it yourself at least a couple of times. again, why wouldn't we know?

alasdair

but your original question wasn't about animals. you wrote "Why do we as a humans know about our eventually coming death?"

you seem to have answered it yourself at least a couple of times. again, why wouldn't we know?

alasdair
Humans are animals. My rhetoric in english sucks, so i can't really express myself. If i answered the question myself, tell me how i did it?

question: Why do we as a humans know about our eventually coming death?
answer: Eventually someobody you know, would die, so you would get to know death...Normal people know when it's coming

alasdair

question: Why do we as a humans know about our eventually coming death?
answer: Eventually someobody you know, would die, so you would get to know death...Normal people know when it's coming

alasdair
Yes. I have to correct myself and excuse for bad writing. I didn't ask why we humans will know death, if anyways knew about someone elses death. That still doesn't answer the question. -WHY- do we know about our eventually coming death as a species? Even tho somebody on my inner circle dies, it doesn't answer the question, why do i know that i will die too personally? That would be the correct form, and what i meant from the beginning. You get what i mean?

which is the more reasonable/likely/whatever logic?

1. my friends died. therefore i'll probably die too.
2. my friends died. therefore i'll probably live for ever.

alasdair

Why does the catapillar know it will become a butterfly? Obviously, it knows...that is why it's building a cacoon but WHY.

Answers are nice sometimes but other times I feel like certain things should have a bit of mystery to them; death being one of those things.

Why does the catapillar know it will become a butterfly? Obviously, it knows...that is why it's building a cacoon but WHY.
Answers are nice sometimes but other times I feel like certain things should have a bit of mystery to them; death being one of those things.
I don't think death as a mysterious think.
which is the more reasonable/likely/whatever logic?

1. my friends died. therefore i'll probably die too.
2. my friends died. therefore i'll probably live for ever.

alasdair
Of course the option one.
Lets say, that there is human who lives in a small room for his whole life. He doesn't know anybody. He hasn't seen death. He would still know that he will die. Why?

well, if you move the goalposts like that probably not. he might consider what happens to him in the future and reasonably conclude that it's unlikely he'll live forever. longer term, he'll be aware he's aging and it will probably become more obvious that he's decaying and extrapolate from there.

but you asked about we as humans. we don't live in small rooms disconnected from everybody else so it's not really relevant.

alasdair

well, if you move the goalposts like that probably not. he might consider what happens to him in the future and reasonably conclude that it's unlikely he'll live forever. longer term, he'll be aware he's aging and it will probably become more obvious that he's decaying and extrapolate from there.
but you asked about we as humans. we don't live in small rooms disconnected from everybody else so it's not really relevant.
alasdair
It's not about it being relevant or not. We can debate this anyways.

I'm no doctor and I just don't know exactly how the consciousness interfaces with the body but I am of the opinion they (conscious/body) are not one in the same. I would like to think that what you experienced is more of a system failure than it is a system termination, if you get my drift.

I'm no doctor and I just don't know exactly how the consciousness interfaces with the body but I am of the opinion they (conscious/body) are not one in the same. I would like to think that what you experienced is more of a system failure than it is a system termination, if you get my drift.
Intresting. So you think consciousness could exist without body? Other way around it can work, of course. Yeah, i was dead for so little time, that i really can't tell if there is something out there.

Awareness seems to be a fundamental property of the apparent universe. Everything is aware. Humans materialistically judge awareness based on relatable life activities. Awareness exists without a body, without action, without anything. It just is. It makes no demands, it doesn't change.

Awareness seems to be a fundamental property of the apparent universe. Everything is aware. Humans materialistically judge awareness based on relatable life activities. Awareness exists without a body, without action, without anything. It just is. It makes no demands, it doesn't change.
I see that as kind of a religious view.

I think to be fearful of dying you need a religion telling you there is something to fear. In the natural occurrence of death we should be more fearful that other members of our family or tribe might die as we rely on them. If we die it's just like time off for us, it's those left to fill the gap that should be fearful.

Just my opinion but I think all the fears I've ever had were because I believed nonsense other people spouted. Death is just a change of state for the collection of atoms I'm using now, who knows, maybe death is just freedom and fun with no tyrannical diety, maybe the reason no one comes back is it's just too good to bother with the lousy living part.