Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Taking psychedelics while on opiates

negrogesic

Moderator: BDD, OD
Staff member
Clearly, benzodiazepines significantly reduce the effect and value of the psychedelic experience (to the point that taking psychedelics on any appreciable amount of benzodiazepine is a waste of said psychedelic). But what about opiates/opioids?

Because of the gut wrenching emptiness that benzodiazepines create in me, along with the disinhibition, I have often taken psychedelics while on large doses of benzos. This emptiness and bravado leads to massive dose escalations, which has landed me into serious hot water, like the time i took 500mg of DCK with no dissociative tolerance or another time where i took 350mg of 4-aco-dmt and 80mg of 4-ho-met. In these massive doses, the benzo is ultimately overpowered, and you end up having an intense psychedelic experience (with the 350mg of 4-aco-dmt i was still utterly terrified and sure I was going to die, despite the 12mg of etizolam).

But what about opioids? Never am i compelled, high on opioids, to consume psychedelics. But how if i did? Any thoughts as to what extent they reduce the effect, weaken insight or moderate anxiety ?

Granted at a high dose (such as IV heroin at the peak of an acid trip) the effects would be significantly dampened. But how about a more moderate dose/conventional ROA?

Not sure myself if you try it please let me know I would love to try this

i have taken LSD with codeine it did not weaken the experince at all. But i was on a large 500 ug dose with a large amount of mdma consumed aswell over the night and it was a extreme trip. I have also done codeine with shrooms no weaken on this trip aswell. I would say the psychedelics just overpowered the codeine the only thing i noticed was i didn't have to take a huge shit on them like i normally i do.

heroin sort of just dulls LSD I reckon as in they don't go together well taking a usual dose of opiates before the trip is fine but using during is shit.theres no magic in combining them.smoking weed on a trip is awesome and coke is awesome to use while on tryptamines they go together well.they compliment each other.save opiates and benzos for after the trip.

I have an inflammation disorder and interestingly enough I find very little pain relief or even euphoria from opiates when I've tried them. Anti-inflammatory meds like NSAID's provide more relief than percocet's for me anyways, but I took 300ug of Al-Lad and got a bad back ache and for some reason decided to take a percocet instead of my usual Advil and holy cow there was some unexpected synergy between those 2 chemicals!
I remember about an hour after I took the percocet I had a BIG smile on my face and felt waves of very noticeable euphoria (also my back ache was gone).
Never repeated the experiment but the percocet did not dull the Al-Lad whatsoever in my case.

opiates go well with tryptamines and lysergamides. i wont combine an opiate with any of the hefty 2-c's or mescaline and the likes though, doesnt fit.

Opiods dull the anxious come up without lowering the psychedelia like benzos and alcohol do. Solid combo. LSD and hydrocodone/red vein kratom is a blast. Almost like a better more psychedelic roll with no body load/comedown.

I have taken a variety of opiates over the years for chronic pain and in my experience they all dull the psychedelic trip, certainly the visuals - although if you are taking the sort of doses you are taking you should have a decent trip, even on opiates :)

Prob just be wasting the opiate , but I don’t think they would dull the experience of the psych

Perhaps next weekend I will attempt a morphine + freebase DPT.

Morphine plays very nicely with most psychedelics IME. Other painkillers (oxycodone, hydrocodone. codeine, etc) tend to cause me too much nausea to even consider mixing with a psychedelic. I'm waiting to titrate up MEM for this reason, as I'm still recovering from my 2nd surgery after my catastrophic bike park crash a couple of months ago and I'm still on 40mg of oxycodone/day. I can hardly even eat saltine crackers, let alone a relatively unknown psychedelic amphetamine.

Addendum: I did have a couple of positive experiences smoking opium on LSD and psilocybin in my younger, stupider days, but probably wouldn't repeat the experience. I was just trying to get as lit as possible, which isn't my m.o. these days.

Perhaps next weekend I will attempt a morphine + freebase DPT.
I have some recent experience with poppy pod tea and vaping DMT or taking mushrooms. Less anxiety getting settled to take the plunge but once effects of the DMT kicked in it pretty much overpowered any opiated feelings. Very interested in DPT and will get round to exploring it eventually, its the reported vibratory / shakey bodyload that concerns me.

Opiates don't really weaken the psychedelic experience appreciably. They can take away some of the profundity, sometimes, because of basically fuzzing over the rough edges and making everything seem more positive and comfortable. And sometimes those rough edges are what lead to the greatest parts of trips. But opiates aren't like benzos where they kill the trip.

It can be a nice combo, honestly. But I wouldn't add an opiate if you're going for a deep experience because it dulls the sharp edges, and the sharp edges and overcoming them are a big part of deep experiences.

Opiates don't really weaken the psychedelic experience appreciably. They can take away some of the profundity, sometimes, because of basically fuzzing over the rough edges and making everything seem more positive and comfortable. And sometimes those rough edges are what lead to the greatest parts of trips. But opiates aren't like benzos where they kill the trip.

It can be a nice combo, honestly. But I wouldn't add an opiate if you're going for a deep experience because it dulls the sharp edges, and the sharp edges and overcoming them are a big part of deep experiences.

I find the complete opposite. Since a back injury and a couple of shitty operations left me in chronic pain I have to try and juggle the opiate, whether it is Tramadol, codeine or Oxy to try and take only the morning dose and drop the evening one as I loose a hell of a lot of a trip this way. The downside is the pain then fucks with the trip.

I've discovered the best opportunity I have to trip (unless I am to eat a 10 strip or the like every time) is to use Kratom for the pain which then seems to have less an effect on the trip that the prescribed opiates.

I read on here about people tripping balls on 100mcgs of some Lysergamide while I am having a nice time on 300mcgs and upping to 500mcgs to 'trip balls' while taking opiates.

opiates don't weaken a trip at all your acid would be underdosed i have done a huge amount of codeine with mdma with 250 ug of acid and was seeing straight through the infinite matrix extremely profound every object took on its own consciouness and i swear i figured out all the secrets to dark matter and energy on that trip. LSD at strong doses will totally overwhelm the opiates.

they are better for stopping a bad trip than anything else, but they take away from the mental richness, though the trip will still be amazing

I can't recall the last time I tripped without an opioid involved, and I still have very strong trips, just as profound as before. I also experience opioids as psychedelic in their own right when dosed high enough and of the sedating rather than stimulating type (i.e. morphine rather than oxy or tram).

Opiates are a nice combo with psychedelics as well as MDMA. They smooth out the rough edges (and comedown in the case of MD) without killing off the desirable effects as benzos do.

I've combined codeine, DHC, and oxy (not all at once) with MDMA before, they all enhanced the experience. Nodding out while you're rolling is crazy man.

Oh and oxy + 2CB is quite nice too.

All that said, when it comes to LSD I do prefer to take it alone and keep a low dose of Xanax nearby if absolutely needed, because often with LSD I want the "rough edges." But it depends why you want to trip. I tend to do it for introspective purposes, so I don't necessary want an opiate euphoria covering up anything negative, rather I'd like to face it. But if I wanted a lighter fun trip then the combo would be nice. Generally I go for MDMA in that case however.