• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Tackling the small issues: Tattoos in the workplace

up all night : I said 'in part' and they did ask me to remove them many times, I just refused to on the basis that several of my other male workmates wore them, and that every female in the office had pierced ears. The rest of it was definitely my shitty attitude, but like I said, if your company are squares I'll treat as such... ;)

pl4yer0ne : I totally hear you about the months agonising, I'm the most fickle bastard in existence, so its taken me a while (read close on a year) to figure out what sorta tatt I want, and I think I'm going to get it on my left shoulder. And word up to not letting society tell you what the fuck to do. I'm wearing my favourite T-shirt as I type this, what's it say but "Conform Obey Consume". This summer might be my summer of tattooing... kickass! ;)

DON'T LET THE MAN GET YOU DOWN! =D

-plaz out-

^ I got my tat. on my left shoulder :)

My next however will be on my left forearm, and the one after that around my right bicep.

Just waiting on money from my grandfather's inheritance :)

we have the dilemma in our workplace where we were originally hired by person A. I have a tat on my leg and three earrings in each ear. I have co-workers who have tattoos on their torsos thus covered by their clothing, and co-workers with multiple earrings in their ears, as well as facial piercings.

Our employer was fine with it. Our employer sold the business to another company. We've been working for them for over a year now. Recently they decided to implement a clothing/uniform policy, stating that no more than 1 earring in each ear is allowed, no facial/body piercings, and no visible tattoos. This is our dilemma...we didn't choose to work for this company to begin with, and we haven't gotten piercings/tattoos since our employment with them, yet now they are saying nope, sorry, you can't have that tattoo. And nope, you can't work for us with a pierced eyebrow. And so on.

If I wear long pants through the summer heat then I'll be fine, its not visible. BUT the uniform policy is BLACK trousers/shorts/skirts, and we are required to work outdoors, and when indoors there is no airconditioning. Thus so I don't collapse in one overheated state, I choose to wear shorts through summer.....well if summer decides to get here eventually. Thus showing the tattoo.

I will wear my shorts, never fear. I will be interested to see if the powers that be do start trying to issue formal warnings and try to dismiss any of us on the grounds of tattoos/piercings.....

sure, stick it to the man, but you'll look retarded when you're old and wrinkly and the man is paying your pension

Who wants to be old and wrinkly?

I'm dying young.

Plus who fucking cares what people think when you're old. You're practically dead anyways.

sourlemone said:
sure, stick it to the man, but you'll look retarded when you're old and wrinkly and the man is paying your pension

LOL :D

I dunno - personally, I say fucking go for it. But realistically, you've got to see what you want and where you want to go. If you've got no desire to progress up the corporate ladder, "fuck the man" and whatnot:)

..... OR, conversely, you have a career which allows you the luxury of bodily enhancements (lucky Samadhi et al), OR you manage to surrupticiously conceal it from your otherwise conservative company (as I do ;) ), go for it!! I say. I have a tatt myself, luckily it's on my right hip although I'm sure some people have seen it as I've bent down to pack boxes of samples and stuff. *shrug*.

I know that if I'd had a very visible one my company (although it prides itself on "equality" 8) ) would not have hired me. Since progressing to management I've heard the "secret" conversations and the ridiculous bias that is applied to job applicants. They're a smoker.. they've recently gotten married.... have kids. You're naiive if you think it doesn't happen. But not everyone aspires to jobs which apply this kind of logic; not every company does I'm sure.

If you go into the decision with open eyes and a willingness to vary from your career path if need be for your individuality, I think that's nothing but admirable.

Last edited:
plazma said:
Almost certainly a variation on this theme...

*edit this one is better... no wait... this one is*

Anarchy_symbol_neat.png

Fuckemall! ;)

-plaz out-

Then you will be the anarchist with a 9-5 job ;)

Well, till I get fired for having a tattoo that is. ;)

-plaz out-

farken....people, breathe!!

cranky level's turned up to 12 in here, oy...

I tend to agree with the idea that I wouldn't want to work in an environment where THAT much focus is put on my appearance anyway...who needs the stress?

If you're happy working in a place that dictates what you can wear and whether you're allowed to put a tattoo on your own body, more power to you...it's not something which should be encouraged though IMO.....and about the whole side thing of who wants to have tatts when they're wrinkly and old...it's not like tattoos can't be removed even now if you change your mind, it'll only be that much easier 30 or 40 years down the track..

Breakyaself,
I reckon you are thinking pretty narrow in terms of what constitutes a professional. I'd say a professional is anyone who requires some sort of qualification for their work or something along those lines. Do you think a school teacher could get away with a tat like that? I very much doubt it. Then any employment that has a face to face customer interface I would suggest the tat would greatly effect. I doubt too many people would hire an accountant with such a tat because at the end of the day they want someone they know they can trust 100%. I'm not saying its right thing and that tats make someone untrustworthy, but its public perception and that of the employer.
I know for a fact you couldnt work in many schools at all as a teacher with such a tat. Male teachers at elite schools in melb can't even have pierced ears.
Its all very well to carry on about 'sticking it to society' etc but at the end of the day we all need to work and you gotta do what it takes to get the job you want.

Beech

At the end of the day, a dude got a tat.
He's happy with his decision.

------------

To contribute to the wider discussion, life's not always fair. No, I don't think you should be discriminated against for body art - however, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I trust that anyone getting a large tat that's clearly visible will think their decision through with logic and reason, prior.

For people who have a clear idea of where they're heading in life and what their workforce accepts - the decision is less complex.

For people who are unsure or forever changing their minds - I'd consider it be wiser to wait.

so long as you have reasons unto yourself, that you don't need to share with anyone, can be as serious or as silly as you like, and as long as you're comfy with it, get the fucking tattoo. who gives a shit about anyone else, jobs can change, people can deal and a lot of people forget how fun they are by getting too caught up in the "oh what if's"

carpe diem :)

re samadhi: i love your tattoo .. truly inspiring!
re pl4yer0ne: as i put in your journal .. I think yours is frickin awesome

Per year I get around 2000 CVs, interview about 30, and hire around 5 professional IT people (this is shared responsibility, not just me)
In my industry creativity and individuality are valued commodities.
If Pl4yer0ne was qualified he would be walking into an interview with a massive advantage.

3 things I look for in an applicant: Raw mental horsepower, Experience/Skills, Cultural fit.

If you are not a cultural fit, dont pretend!!!!
Its just gonna make you miserable and generate conflict at work

Its a shame that my industry is in a minority :(

Mean Girl said:
so long as you have reasons unto yourself, that you don't need to share with anyone, can be as serious or as silly as you like, and as long as you're comfy with it, get the fucking tattoo. who gives a shit about anyone else, jobs can change, people can deal and a lot of people forget how fun they are by getting too caught up in the "oh what if's"

carpe diem :)

BINGO!

And m4dd0g, its a shame your industry and people like you are in the minority. Damn corporate whores wreckin the world for the fun loving types. ;)

-plaz out-

beech said:
Breakyaself,
I reckon you are thinking pretty narrow in terms of what constitutes a professional. I'd say a professional is anyone who requires some sort of qualification for their work or something along those lines. Do you think a school teacher could get away with a tat like that? I very much doubt it. Then any employment that has a face to face customer interface I would suggest the tat would greatly effect. I doubt too many people would hire an accountant with such a tat because at the end of the day they want someone they know they can trust 100%. I'm not saying its right thing and that tats make someone untrustworthy, but its public perception and that of the employer.
I know for a fact you couldnt work in many schools at all as a teacher with such a tat. Male teachers at elite schools in melb can't even have pierced ears.
Its all very well to carry on about 'sticking it to society' etc but at the end of the day we all need to work and you gotta do what it takes to get the job you want.

Beech

That is YOU saying that society does this and society thinks that.
Done a survey have you? Actually tried to get a job with a visible tattoo and been denied?

My point is that it isnt society that is saying these things.... there isnt a list of current rules for gaining approval for mrs smith at wherever. Im not trying to stick it to the man or anything like that. It just shits me when people try to blame society as an excuse for not doing something. Its not society denying you, its yourself. Be happy in your job and your life.
Im happier with this tattoo, clearly a lot of people are happier without.

pl4yer0ne said:
It just shits me when people try to blame society as an excuse for not doing something. Its not society denying you, its yourself.

OMG you nearly sound like doofqueen.

doofqueen said:
Reality is only how YOU percieve it :)

Player1 - I have nothing against tatt's but in all honesty there IS an element of discrimination against tattoo's (especially BIG ones) by people in some industries. Anything that requires a "traditional" view of trustworthyness and reputable self, such as jobs with children, law, finance, media etc etc.
I'm not saying whether it is/isn't right for those areas of society to have those views, but there IS an unspoken list of rules for certain places hiring Mr/Mrs Smith, you'd be niave to think otherwise. If you wan't a job in those areas, then that IS a legitimate reason for using society as an excuse for not doing something.

Dude,
I don't need to do as survey to work out what the societal values of today's general employment community. I work in the community and experience these values everyday. If you wanna role with your agruement, have you done a survey and found out that this isn't society's view? Clearly society IS saying this because a whole lot of people on here have said it, even though they disagree with it. I can also tell you that society thinks this way because I've been on the employing end of the stick and appearance has a lot to do with who gets the job. I have sat on panels to interview applicants for jobs in professional circles and I can tell you that everyone on the panel makes notes on similar things - qualifications, experience, attitude, appearance, etc.
Its all pretty common sense and when it comes down to it we are all discussing a moot point. I think it seems most people agree that we shouldn't be judged on appearance but we are.
I have been knocked back from jobs in the past because of my appearance. I missed out on my dream job because I had "messy hair". I wore a suit and tie to the interview, was perfectly qualified for the job, had experience and even had a contact on the selection panel and i didn't get the job. When I asked for feedback, the main point they made was that my appearance let me down because my hair was messy and mind you this was for a job where there was no face to face interaction with clients. I didn't have outrageous hair or anything, just blonde surfy sorta hair.
I'm not having a go at you or anything dude I'm just saying appearance counts, even though it maybe shouldn't.

Beech

haha its cool, i know everyone is just making a point and all. And im totally not getting offended or pissed off or anything, i just feel strongly on the subject.

Im just trying to say that society isnt this solid iron core of rules and regulations people think it is.

lostpunk5545 said:
Who wants to be old and wrinkly?

I'm dying young.

Plus who fucking cares what people think when you're old. You're practically dead anyways.

bingo.