• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Tackling the small issues: Tattoos in the workplace

*bump*

So pl4yer0ne, any issues getting the new job sporting your new (v cool) tatt?

Curious about whether you flashed em your ink stained soul, or kept it under wraps?

haha no issues at all.

I didnt point it out but i didnt hide it either. In the level of job I do people are much more concerned about me both socially and technically then what i look like.

So it was basically a non-event because i know they dont care and they dont care enough to care.

But as you said above a bit, its lucky to be in an industry that doesnt mind this kind of thing, and its nice to be good enough at what i do to be able to pick the industry i want to be in.

edit: What I meant to say was, please refer to your sig.

Last edited:
pl4yer0ne said:
That is YOU saying that society does this and society thinks that.
Done a survey have you? Actually tried to get a job with a visible tattoo and been denied?.

a lot of my friends have
if you don't like it, don't be part of 'society'
in no way is this an insult. it's just that people can't be selective of the 'society' that they wish to fit into if they're willing to alter their physical appearance.
i don't want a guy with john butler dreadlocks preparing my sandwiches
the chances of a man with tattooed sleeves of swords and skeletons working at a retirement home? nil

my father is covered from head to toe in tattoos and has never had a problem getting a job. but i've never seen him wear a polo shirt in his entire life. your choice.

^ Agreed. But: Ive never heard of a polo shirt being used as a social distinction in a positive way !?

^^ hey, you live in your fancy society where you get to go to e3
let me live in my lame one

i know it's a little OT but preacha brought it up...

There's another one with social stigma - DREADIES!! i have dreads down to my shoulders - and while i have been knocked back for jobs (i work in hospitality) i have been told by some employers over the years that they actually liked them, and that they liked what my having dreads did for the look/feel/image of the business.
it's true i probably won't have much luck getting a job in a 5-star establishment or a "professional" vocation - however it's interesting to note alot of people's idea of what a profession is; my understanding of a profession is any task you do in exchange for a wage or salary.
So as far as i'm concerned, i'm paid to serve drinks, meals and host guests, so therefore i'm a professional no?
yes it sucks that people with tattoos, dreads, or piercings sometimes won't get the job over somone else... but then again in my industry i have seen slightly less qualified but more physically attractive people win jobs - now how's that for discrimination.

back OT - i fuggen DIG tats - pl4er 0ne's and samadhi's included, and plan on getting my own design done very soon in order to complete the trifecta - dreads, a facial piercing and a large tat that has the potential to be highly visible=D

-=DLouD247=D-

Its all about balance.

good > bad

If all your good things aren't greater than the bad things, then its not going to work out. So if your good at whatever it is you do, you won't have any problems. Don't get me wrong what i mean by this is that you can't be a lazy little fuckwit and expect to be able to do whatever you want. You want a cozy job then you conform.

But unfortunately everyone has a different opinion on what is good or bad. Some people think piercings and tats are cool, whereas some think they are horrid and "clients might react unfavorably."
There isn't much you can do if where you want to work doesn't like who you want to be. I just question why you would want to work somewhere that doesn't share the same views as yourself in such core aspects of your personality.

Its true that some industries are more conservative than others, but there is always someone else like you somewhere.

If you choose to work in a profession that deals mainly with conservative people and you want an easier time trying to find work, then you may have to restrict your activities in the body art department. So much of this dialogue sounds like whinging to me. Most of the ultra-conservative professions are the more lucrative as well.

'nuff said

loud247 said:
So as far as i'm concerned, i'm paid to serve drinks, meals and host guests, so therefore i'm a professional no?

ahahahahahahaha, WRONG

professional indicates a job that requires proper (ie. degree) qualifications.
An RSA doesn't count.

i think as long as you are professional in the way you act who fucking cares if you have a tattoo? as long as it isnt the nazi symbol tattooed on your forehead really what business is it of anyones elses?

my workplace says that we are not allowed to have tats showing but i have one on my lower back and sometimes mine is visible if im bending down or reaching up and my top comes up a little. i have actually had customers comment on it, and say that it is interesting and actually start a converstaion because of it. i dont think it is offensive to anyone and i dont think workplaces have the right to tell you to cover it up, unless it is offensive to customers.

MoeBro said:
You must work in a drinking establishment and have an RSA ;)

=D lol, nah im actualy a clerk.

I do have a tatt but it isnt visible, I still think my boss would hire me if it was visible. :\

Dictionary:

pro·fes·sion·al (prə-fĕsh'ə-nəl)
adj.

Of, relating to, engaged in, or suitable for a profession: lawyers, doctors, and other professional people.

Conforming to the standards of a profession: professional behavior.
Engaging in a given activity as a source of livelihood or as a career: a professional writer.

Performed by persons receiving pay: professional football.

Having or showing great skill; expert: a professional repair job.
n.
A person following a profession, especially a learned profession.

One who earns a living in a given or implied occupation: hired a professional to decorate the house.

A skilled practitioner; an expert.

Thesaurus

professional

adjective

Having or demonstrating a high degree of knowledge or skill: adept, crack, expert, master, masterful, masterly, proficient, skilled, skillful. Slang crackerjack. See ability/inability.

just a quick update that not only did playerone's bosses in his current postitions decide they're ok enough with his art to propose other poisitions, but so did quite a few other *major* companies within the market...

Ahh, back when threads were real threads ...

m4dd0g said:
In my industry creativity and individuality are valued commodities.
If Pl4yer0ne was qualified he would be walking into an interview with a massive advantage.
And did. aka, Told ya so ...

*runs away*