• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Tackling the small issues: Tattoos in the workplace

This thread is a good read.

On one hand I would love to stick it to the man and get full arm sleeve tats, but on the other hand maybe I would have to make do with half sleeve tats. I am 26 and still have virtually 40 years of work before I retire *sigh*, and who knows where I will be directing my career then.

I had an eyebrow piercing and both ears pierced and went for a job but took them out. They started to heal over and taking them out and putting them back in was getting painfull so I started to wear them to work (after like 2 months after starting).... I was told that because I didnt wear them to the interview I had to take them out. There were women there with lots of piercings and a guy with one of those peircings on the top of his ear but they were allowed because they wore them to thier interview.

In the end I am happy that I made the desicion to take them out because I ended up managing part of the business, being a great experience. But at the time I was reluctant to take them out.

They also hired a guy that was a ex pro skater who had an Element symbol tatooed on his wrist, which pissed me off no end.

Hehe once I grew a beard of protest. Lol.

:D

I plan to work in medical science/science for the rest of my life, appearance isn't generally much of an issue, and I don't think a tattoo would be.

Scientists are often a bit alternative or (or incredibly dorky) looking. If I wanted a huge tattoo I would definitely go for it, especially seeing as I'm covered by a lab coat 90% of the time.

Perhaps it would be more of a problem if I were to work for a pharmaceutical company though, I don't know.

ButrosButros_Grantos said:
Haha, you actually take what I have to say
I actually have some haha "body art" on my person. See I find the term body "art" offensive as it isn't your body that has produced the art, it's more of you being a convenient canvas for somebody elses art.

So... Its art, and its on your body... It was designed by the owner of said body, and placed on that body by someone else.... So your the canvas for art, your body being that canvas.. and you find the term "body art" offensive?

EDIT: I have ink that is visible on my inner bicep when wearing a work shirt.

http://www.bmezine.com Has LOTS of good reads by both the author of the site and people submiting stories about tatt's and the work place. In general that site will provide DAYS of good cultural/ethical/social reading.

Getting a largieish piece of script on the inside of my lower left arm this Friday. Will be clearly visible in a short sleave shirt but is designed so that when in long-sleeve business attire it's not visible (except maybe through the open bit near the cuff if you look real carefully).

If it loses me a job one day the job is not worth having.