Skrillex? What do you guys think?

i quite like Skrillex. he invented his own sound really as it aint just one thing and it's all about moving forward for me so hats off

At most skrillex is a gateway producer ;)

its a long way from skrillex to burial but some people will find their way there

whe you go to a benni benassi show, only to hear the same skrillex song literally 6 times throughout the night (and at the pre party) and skrillex is not even playing the show, it's fucking retarded. and then I see like 150 idiots with the same goddamn skrillex tattoo. and then the only fucking kind of EDM that any given kid can name is "skrillex" or "dubstep"

other than that, skrillex has some enjoyable music, and I wouldn't mind listening to his music all night (when he's actually there playing it)

Shit, I'm no expert on EDM, I hardly ever buy music and the last show I went to was EDC last summer, but some people take my bullshit to a whole new level of "let's go see them because they have a big name, and that's it, who gives a fuck about ever seeing small shows with DJs whose names we've never heard" Except for EDC, every "big name show" that I've ever gone to because I liked one track the dude made, has sucked epic balls. The best shows Ive ever hit up were Djs who were hardly famous at all, and those shows were the shit.

And, IMO, everyone hates on Skrillex just because it's the 'cool' thing to do.
This. Only recently heard of this Skrillex guy, and liked his stuff. People state their negative opinions about him like facts, but taste in music is one of the most subjective things there is. So what if 10 million other people like his music too? It's about the music, you like it or you don't, based on your taste.

it is interesting, and i think it hits on alot of what people dislike. namely, there is very little melody, and there is no tension, just wham bam thank you man type music. what makes a dj worth seeing live is the mixing of tracks, using the tension in one track to complement the other track, and creating an experience. skrillex has made it ok for djs to just play tracks back-to-back-to-back, with no mixing or creativity or direction to the set. if i want to do that, ill hook up an ipod to a giant soundsytem. thats basically all skrillex is doing. as a producer, he has skills, but he is not dubstep, and he is not EDM

REeGR.jpg

Priceless! :) Is this real?

Very interesting read. I really like this bit:

One reason for this is that the acts we’re talking about are not, generally speaking, interested in offering some refined or studious advancement on the long, rich, soulful history of electronic dance music. Skrillex’s work, in particular, is a lot more of a pile-up, as if someone’s picked all the most obviously, superficially cool and high-impact parts of a dozen different genres, dredged them in stimulants, and started mashing them against one another...

Sounds about right.

It is real...I searched some of those turds facebook pages and they have occupations such as "ur momz house" listed.

Time to go spin machete poi in a cuddle puddle...

brb

:D

I don't hate the guy but I'd stay away from his shows.

He has talent, he's worked hard all his life and now he's livin the dream so props.
He definitely has his own sound that appeals to the generation that's going into adulthood right now. (people like me, 17yr olds + ) The people I see at various raves/shows right now seem like they really just want to rage and get something out of themselves....

The beauty / trippiness of acid raving is pretty dead and people just want it raw nowadays.

And hey it keeps the newbies busy going to his shows and gives me room to dance at Mat the Alien :)

aw yeah mat the alien

man idk bout skrillex. ive seen him play and personally to me it was just this big overcrowded show, full of little kids messed on beans, fistpumping. he was ok but after like 15 minutes i started to get bored of the repetitive sounds. thats what i dont like. ya skrillex made his own style and all, but hes so repetitive with it! it was cool at first and then..
well for example, listen to scary monsters and nice sprites. sounds like he made half a song and then looped it, and added a few little alterations to the second half. lol. and somehow that shit is famous.

Oh man...

http://www.nme.com/news/the-doors/61505

Skrillex just needs to go away.

I can appreciate the kind of..irregularity of the music he makes, if that makes sense. It's like he's taken an existing genre and made it slightly more interesting..but it still sounds like noise that isn't very easy on the ears. Not for me anyway.

Last edited:
fuck skrillex

it is EXACTLY what i would expect from him if i knew he was gunna do that type of music

it's like the most mainstream electronic music you could ever produce

Holy Hell someone needs to edumacate these fools on bluelight.
Daft Punk is NOT I repeat NOT french house.

If you want to hear what French House sounds like, then listen to
  • Dimitri from Paris
  • DJ Cam
  • Cassius

If you want to hear what Electro House sounds like then listen to
  • Benny Benassi
  • Daft Punk
  • Felix the Housecat
  • Miss Kitten

And once again if you want to hear what Dubstep sounds like, then listen to
  • Skrillex

correction if you want to hear shit dubstep then listen to skrillex if you want good dubstep listen to skream, benga, datsik, excision, downlink, or melamin and wicked sway

I hate skrillex because he is one of those artists thats basically made dubstep into pop, although ill take skrillex over fucking nero anyday and skrillexs first tunes were ok#

oh and can someone tell me what exactly is orignal about skrillex, people made hard dubstep long before skrillex

Skrillex is the artist that I'd love to say that I hate, but I actually don't mind him. Well, I don't like him, but Rock 'n' Roll is an alright song. Also, he gains respect from me for liking Aphex Twin (not that it makes his music any better). My friend actually just pointed me to that post about a week ago. According to the comments, though, his fans are idiots.