• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Selegiline (l-deprenyl) - too good to be true?

What would be the recommended duration of a course? Has anyone noticed tolerance or withdrawal symptoms after taking it for a long time?

12 weeks is normally considered a reasonable time. Some people have noted that withdrawal from selegiline can be quite severe (see posts by fastandbulbous).

Do you need to wait the full 2 weeks for MAO levels to return to normal before tripping?

To be safe I would suggest waiting at least that long, probably longer before taking anything that increases DA/NE levels significantly.

Propecia-Selegiline

Just yesterday, I started a regimen of 2.5mg - 5mg/day of selegiline in tablet form for depression.

I am 30 years old and have been exercising every day for the past month and on an 80 percent vegetarian diet.

Currently, I live in the States and the doctors around this town are very, very conservative with their prescriptions. I have tried many doctors and they all keep prescribing me the same SSRI treatments despite the fact that not a single one has worked. It's frustrating and I'm tired of spending my money on SSRIs.

So... I have decided to step out on my own and give selegiline a whirl for a month and see if it works. I am taking every precaution possible and have found answers for all my questions but one.

My one question is:

The only other drug I am on right now is finasteride (Propecia) for hair-loss. Does anyone know if it will interact with selegiline? I can't find this information anywhere. Finasteride inhibits testosterone from turning into DHT. Will that have any chemical conflict with selegiline?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

endoftherope said:
Just yesterday, I started a regimen of 2.Mg - Mg/day of selegiline in tablet form for depression.

I am 30 years old and have been exercising every day for the past month and on an 80 percent vegetarian diet.

Currently, I live in the States and the doctors around this town are very, very conservative with their prescriptions. I have tried many doctors and they all keep prescribing me the same SSRI treatments despite the fact that not a single one has worked. It's frustrating and I'm tired of spending my money on SSRIs.

So... I have decided to step out on my own and give selegiline a whirl for a month and see if it works. I am taking every precaution possible and have found answers for all my questions but one.

My one question is:

The only other drug I am on right now is finasteride (Propecia) for hair-loss. Does anyone know if it will interact with selegiline? I can't find this information anywhere. Finasteride inhibits testosterone from turning into DHT. Will that have any chemical conflict with selegiline?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi bro, I don't think you will have a problem with these two drugs.

Selegline acts on dopamine and epinephrine. Finastride on DHT.

I am ordering some deprenyl tomorrow and I also take finastride.

Just started the finastride along with testosterone, dbol and igf-1.
Been using HGH for a few months. So I'm hoping the selegline will help with some of the depression I've had lately.

Best Reguards...........nf

Testosterone, HGH, selegiline for libido...

Neverfail1111...

What type of testosterone are you taking? How has it been working out for you?

I've been on selegiline for a week and 2 days now and it has done good things for my depression. Unfortunately, it's done nothing for my libido which is an area I need help in right now. I stopped taking finasteride for a week to see if that was the cause, but my libido still remained rather low. I was hoping selegiline would help with this problem but so far it hasn't. Might be too early to tell though. We'll see where I'm at 3 weeks from now.

I've heard testosterone and HGH are good for libido. What are your experiences with those?

if a human had Selegiline (l-deprenyl) all his life he could live to 150years

Has anyone got anything more to say out selegiline, I am on about my third trial of it now. I am hoping that now I have all my drug problems sorted out I can get a real idea of how well it works.
Can somebody explain to me why I should take an antioxident with selegiline?

Middleway said:
Has anyone got anything more to say out selegiline, I am on about my third trial of it now. I am hoping that now I have all my drug problems sorted out I can get a real idea of how well it works.
Can somebody explain to me why I should take an antioxident with selegiline?

If you're on your third trial, can you tell us anything about it? What are you taking it for?

I was taking it for cognitive improvement, which I'd say has worked; I've almost finished my first book (the majority of it in three and a half weeks). I've only just stopped the deprenyl cause I've ran out.

Last edited:
As above, I'm currently on selegeline (deprenyl- 2.5mg a day, [got some more] supplemented by 500mg of l-phenylalanine) and I have some Perika St John's Wort, which I want to take but I'm fairly sure I have to stop taking the Deprenyl.

Have looked all over Bluelight and the web and the only info I could find is two people saying they have taken both selegeline and St John's Wort daily for months with no ill effects. This doesn't seem right to me, due to St John's Wort being an (admittedly small) anti-depressant that inhibits the re uptake of serotonin, yes?

Can anyone enlighten me as to if it's possible for me to take both, and if not, how long would I have to wait after stopping the selegeline before I started taking the SJW?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Selegiline Plus Oxiracetam??

Has anyone tried the combination of 5 - 10 mg of Selegiline with Oxiracetam? If not oxiracetam, piracetam?

I m looking to improve memory and mood.

Selegiline has a positive effect on me and I'd like to supplement something with it to help with motivation and memory.

Thanks.

endoftherope said:
Has anyone tried the combination of 5 - 10 mg of Selegiline with Oxiracetam? If not oxiracetam, piracetam?

Selegiline has a positive effect on me and I'd like to supplement something with it to help with motivation and memory.

Thanks.

I took 5mg per day of selegiline with Piracetam for about eight weeks and had quite noticeable positive effects in relation to motivation and memory (I wrote a book!). The motivation was superb. If taking the selegiline, ensure you also supplement it with 500mg of l-phenylalanine. It really makes a massive difference.

phase_dancer said:
My course of selegiline was over approximately 12 weeks. During this time I took roughly 2.5mg / day, although in the last 2 weeks this was upped to 5mg/day.

It has now been ~ 6 weeks since I completed the course.

Overall, I think Selegiline had a positive impact on things, although I don't think it was the magic path to immortality that some of us are looking for. I felt some increase in alertness for most of the time, although there were several periods where lethargy and fatigue were noticed.

I noticed a definite increase in tolerance to things I'm normally sensitive about. Family and friends all thought I was happier generally over the past months, although subjectively, I felt other factors could be involved here. However, after ceasing the course, I feel these intolerances have, to some degree returned, and I'll find I'll react out of no-where like it's second nature.

I also found while on the course that I had less time for trivia - it wasn't so much that I was bored or uninterested, it's just that I tended to focus more on areas of genuine interest if that makes any sense. In the same way, some chores were neglected, but overall, I feel I accomplished more in the 12 weeks than I had for ages. I built my first rock wall and was happy with the result.

I also tended to become more supportive of loved ones, in that I'd clean up, prepare things and generally cover for those who were otherwise too busy. I guess I do that anyway, but I found myself more inclined to go out of my way to ease the load of others. All this seemed to be accomplished without effort, and everything in a day seemed to fit together easier, without needing to rush.

While taking selegiline, I don't think the subtle effects were all that recognizable to me, but they seemed to be to others. As said, memory was better in the sense that I could always remember (picture in my mind) where I'd either put something down, or where something was that others were looking for. So, there seemed to also be some form of subconscious memory improvement, where a mental note is taken of everything. Sort of like I was in my late teens, where retention and recall were at a peak.

During the 12 weeks, I used MDMA twice, (the beginning and right at the end) and cocaine on a few occasions - when it was offered. Except for coffee, in every instance where sympathomimetics were used, the amounts taken were far less than what's considered an average dose. I noticed no real difference to the expected euphoria - well, nothing that excluded other important variables, such as the strength of the tablets, infrequency of rolling, etc.

With the MDMA, I did notice a slight hypertension, but as I've explained in past postings, this was also occurring when MDMA was being consumed more regularly. Cocaine, in the minimal amounts taken seemed to work much the same. At times the high seemed a bit more accentuated although I did wonder if the coke seen in recent times was of a higher quality. So, by and large, with both MDMA and cocaine, I'd say there that personally I noticed little difference to both the duration and intensity of the effect. However, a friend who was also taking piracetam with selegiline (5mg/day), claimed that he noticed increased effects with almost any drug.

All in all I think selegiline gives positive results when taken in the amounts I've described. I intend to do another course on 5-8mg / day and see if there are any noticeable improvements on the lower dose regimen.

Rasagiline: An even better nootropic

I've been reading about this compound for some time. It was developed by an Israeli pharmaceutical company as an adjunct therapy for parkinsons disease; much the same way that selegiline was developed.

While selegiline does create what's thought to be better metabolic pathways for many endogenous monoamines, it does itself metabolise into 3 compounds, one of which is N-desmethylselegiline, which probably also has MAOB inhibiting properties The other two metabolites are L-amphetamine and L-methamphetamine, both of which are slightly psychoactive, but are also somewhat toxic. Rasagiline on the other hand, produces no toxic metabolites whatsoever. Phase 1 clinical trials indicated it's efficacy is far greater than selegiline as its a better substrate for MAOB.

The big problem with Rasagiline at this stage involves its cost. Because the Israeli company owns the patent, and the drug has, until now, only been available through licensed suppliers of such research compounds, the cost has been too high for it to be used as a noo-tropic. Although we can't mention prices here, I will say that a European company quoted me several tens of thousands of Euros for 100g. The drug could be relatively easily synthesized if the required chemicals were available, although I don't recommend this of course. Pricing may change however once licencing is granted to generic companies and the drug is officially released - which is what's happening now.

If anyone is interested, I have quite a few papers on this potentially "magic" compound.

rasagiline.jpg

Rasagiline

a big thankyou for a great post - really appreciate it :)

33-33 said:
As above, I'm currently on selegeline (deprenyl- 2.5mg a day, [got some more] supplemented by 500mg of l-phenylalanine) and I have some Perika St John's Wort, which I want to take but I'm fairly sure I have to stop taking the Deprenyl.

Have looked all over Bluelight and the web and the only info I could find is two people saying they have taken both selegeline and St John's Wort daily for months with no ill effects. This doesn't seem right to me, due to St John's Wort being an (admittedly small) anti-depressant that inhibits the re uptake of serotonin, yes?

Can anyone enlighten me as to if it's possible for me to take both, and if not, how long would I have to wait after stopping the selegeline before I started taking the SJW?

Thanks.
Keeping harm reduction in mind, I would say don't take SJW with Selegiline. BUT I will add that I am currently on 9 mg of Selegiline daily, and I take SJW, Rhodiola, AND 5-HTP. The only reason I do this is because I started out with only 1 supplement at a very low dose, and worked my way up. I was also very mindful of my body's reactions. And I still wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Everyone's brain chemistry is different, and just because it hasn't cause me any harm doesn't mean it can't harm someone else. MAOI's are not to be played with.

Be careful and good luck!

endoftherope said:

Thanks.
I also supplement 9 mg of Selegiline with Piracetam. Great combo!