• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Screen vs. No Screen

Some people don't like having to empty the bowl every time it's cashed. It's easier just to pull all the ash through even if a rat nostril's worth of unburnt herbal slips through.

I'm kinda with Jib on this one.

I'm not against screens, but I just never get around to buying them. I don't much care about that tiny bit [if any] of green that gets sucked through.

BTW, Tin Foil works as a screen for most slides/bowls. I generally would use that if I was concerned with pull-through.

Last edited:
Metal screens don't appeal to me. Smoking metal just seems like a bad idea. I stopped using them a long time ago and started using glass screens. Those still got clogged and annoying. Just learn how to smoke and not pull it through...use a "delicate touch"

The screen wont filter out carcinogens lol.

But I am pro-screen.

I don't use a screen in my pipe because there's enough resin build up in it that the hole in the bowl is too small to let green or even ash through. I've never used a screen on my pipe, but mostly out of lazyness. If your bong piece has a big hole in it then a screen is pretty much a requirement, although other things work. I have a friend who just stuicks a pebble (smokin' rock!) in the hole of his piece when he doesn't have a screen and it worked as a pretty good screen.

With certain pipes it's not neccesary, like pipes with very small holes in the stem (I've had a few clay pieces like that), or pipes with enough resin in them. Screens are definitly a plus though.

If you cannot afford a screen then you shouldn't be smoking weed at all you should be looking for a way to kill yourself.

Really? Pebbles work fine, what's your problem with them. Also not all pieces need screens, most glass pipes really don't require screens, especially after a few months of use.

I've always used screens. I don't want to waste any bud and I don't want any of it to come flying into my mouth lol

I use metal screens for my bongs, and glass screens for my small pipes/bubblers.

And, of course, my vape =D

Not using screens (of any type) is a little silly, when one considers their cost (what is it, like $0.05/per?), and their functionality. It simply makes sense to utilize screens. However, there's nothing wrong with folks smoking however they prefer to smoke- let's not turn into snobs about it, lest we become just like the people who look down on us.

\ let's not turn into snobs about it, lest we become just like the people who look down on us.

Not lookin down at people who use screens, bro. Not everyone has em laying around, lol. The pros and cons are very small that a lot of people just don't care about the difference. No need to segregate pot smokers, lol.

Talking about folks telling other people they should kill themselves if they don't use screens, lol.

Btw, using tin foil as a screen is a bit of a bad idea, not to bash on you. It releases toxic fumes at relatively low temps. If you're talking about aluminum foil, there is evidence that SUGGESTS it may cause Alzheimer's, but such results are not conclusive, so take that with a grain of salt.

Talking about folks telling other people they should kill themselves if they don't use screens, lol.

Btw, using tin foil as a screen is a bit of a bad idea, not to bash on you. It releases toxic fumes at relatively low temps. If you're talking about aluminum foil, there is evidence that SUGGESTS it may cause Alzheimer's, but such results are not conclusive, so take that with a grain of salt.

Sorry, aluminum, and I was aware of a possible risk, but I do it so rarely that I'm relatively sure it's nothing to concern myself about. But good addition, I should have said that.

screens stop ash and bud going into the water.

screens make sure you dont waste bud by "plugging" the bowl with a bit of nug
and subsequently it goes into the water. (fucking retarded IMO)

screens make sure you can pull a bowl as fast and hard as possible without
having to worry about bud being pulled into the water.

screens are just common sense, but most american tokers seem to not use them.
the worst excuse ive heard is "they dont stay in the bowl.".
my answer to this is "dont be a complete imbecile, you clearly didnt try.
if you had you'd have realized you need to smoke out of it properly before
the screen will stay in place due to resination.".

Unless you're smoking out of a shitty metal pipe or a pipe that's not made out of glass there is really no reason at all to use a brass screen in a bowl or in a bong.

With glass pipes eventually the bowl gets a buildup of residue, and bud does not fall through and neither does ash.

I have tried glass screens and they do not work as well as just letting the residue build up in the glass bowl of a bong.

I have never ever pulled bud in the water when smoking with a glass bong without a screen.

I really don't care about this silly debate as I just vaporize now and a screen is involved with vaping but it's designed to be done that way with the type of vaporizer I have and the herb is ground very well so there's a reason to use a screen.

Last edited: