• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Safe DXM dosage as morphine potentiator

Sk1500

Bluelighter
Bought some DXM today to try, 1st time, was wondering what is a safe limit? I've had 180mg in 4 doses, starting about 8 hours ago. Running low on my meds til day after tomorrow so wanted to try.

I'm on oramorph should be 180mg, only took 120mg.

Diazepam should be 40mg, only took 25mg

Plus had 300mg Cyclizine.

Tomorrow even worse, got 80mg morphine, 15mg Diazepam and the rest of the DXM about 200mg.

Probably should have asked about DXM dosage before taking it 😅🤷‍♂️

Cheers people

I wouldnt.

I have a lot of DXM experience, shameful amounts,
every time I took opiates with it it HURT it caused CHEST PAIN.
I do not recommend this combo at all.
Wouldnt use the Diazepam either. Thats just asking for a blackout.

I think youll get more kicks varying that combo you already have going and save the DXM for when you have less contradicting stuff in your blood

I wouldnt.

I have a lot of DXM experience, shameful amounts,
every time I took opiates with it it HURT it caused CHEST PAIN.
I do not recommend this combo at all.
Wouldnt use the Diazepam either. Thats just asking for a blackout.

I think youll get more kicks varying that combo you already have going and save the DXM for when you have less contradicting stuff in your blood
Ok thanks, tbh I haven't really noticed the DXM that much and isn't something that I'll be looking to try again normally.

I find that cyclizine has a lot more affect on me than dxm.

I've been on, through the docs opiates and benzos, on and off but mainly on and haven't had any dangerous feeling symptoms. I am going to taper slowly the morphine.

The DXM I didn't feel changed anything significantly especially if its just adding another CNS depressant.

Cheers

DXM is technically not another "CNS depressant".

It can have different properties, depending on dosage. Some times it can be stimulating and some times it can be sedating.

It's technically an SSRI/SNRI(?) and a dissassociative. Not a CNS depressant.

BUT, if you are going to use it, anywhere from 60-90mg should be enough to potentiate morphine, without causing much of a "DXM trip".

But be warned, I find even lower doses can potentiate my opioids to a dangerous degree, depending on your tolerance.

I don't know what the other person was talking about but mixing opiates & dxm should not be causing chest pain, specifically. Either that person had another underlining problem that was aggravated by the combo at the time or it could have just been a fluke (we all get random pains in our bodies from time to time with no apparent cause, especially anxiety & depressive people).

Dxm can raise blood pressure though.

Other than that, dxm is generally used for preventing tolerance or resetting it. Take a low dose (60mg or so) with your usual dose of opiate for preventing tolerance. I found through my experience that 'resetting' tolerance requires atleast a 3rd plateau trip dosage. Using for potentiation, YMMV.

NOTE : Using DXM with certain opioids like tramadol or tapentadol can become life threatening!

it really isnt.
DXM is a shit combo drug but no dont listen to me or the more experienced educated users.

it really isnt.
DXM is a shit combo drug but no dont listen to me or the more experienced educated users.

It's been proven to have analgesic potentiating properties, along with tolerance reduction properties.

Just because you abused the hell out of it and had shitty experiences (so did I, I chugged bottles of cough syrup for over 10 years, more than once a week), doesn't mean it still isn't useful for helping with opioid tolerance for other people.

In fact, a high dose dxm trip will completely reset your tolerance.
Ever taken heroin, buprenorphine or tramadol on the after glow of a DXM trip? It's definitely a lot more sedating.

I'd say a drug that's both an SSRI / NDMA antagonist / sigma agonist & also reduces & prevents opioid tolerance isn't just "cool", but interesting. And Marley Is good thinks they're funny making some stupid ignorant comment.

Last edited:
In fact, a high dose dxm trip will completely reset your tolerance.
Ever taken heroin, buprenorphine or tramadol on the after glow of a DXM trip? It's definitely a lot more sedating.
Sure. Sorry this just sounds like dangerous advice to me.
Every time I had opiates (or even subutek/suboxone) before, during, or after dxm it would give me chest pains + other dysphoric unpleasant sensations.
Youre right though thats just my personal experience
I wouldnt want younger me thinking your advice is good. Again, thats just me.

fuck it, while we're all here
NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER TAKE MAGNESIUM WITH DXM
EVER.
OH YOURE CURIOUS? RIP JACKASS.

Lmfao

You are giving out misinformation.

I've taken magnesium & dxm multiple times together for years, as they're both NDMA antagonists, very weak ones in lower doses at that.
There is no serious interaction between basic doses of dxm & magnesium. That would be like saying "don't take dxm & then eat spinach! It will kill you!"

I asked a question & made statements, I didn't give advice.

The only advice I gave was (which was several posts above & not directed at you)...
"BUT, if you are going to use it, anywhere from 60-90mg should be enough to potentiate morphine, without causing much of a "DXM trip".

But be warned, I find even lower doses can potentiate my opioids to a dangerous degree, depending on your tolerance."

Where I point out that mixing dxm & opioids can be dangerous. People come here for harm reduction. Not to be told not to do something. The whole point of harm reduction is that if they're going to do it anyway, tell them how they can do it safely, which I did.

I also said :
"NOTE : Using DXM with certain opioids like tramadol or tapentadol can become life threatening!"

DXM & Tramadol can cause seizures or serotonin syndrome. Just because I've survived DXM + tramadol doesn't mean others would, which is why no where did I tell anyone to do it. I asked YOU if YOU'VE ever done it, because I HAVE and have noticed marked potentiation with all 3 of those opioids, to the point where OD could be possible.

Some one with an already established tolerance to morphine is unlikely to overdose by combining a low dose of DXM.

Last edited:
I have been nearly hospitalized from it in the worst blackouts in my life

to the point that the source "recommending" it mysteriously dissappeared of the dxmzine or wherever the fuck i had originally read it

but wow some harm reduction agent you are.

Again my apologies seriously,
it just sounds wrong to me
it sounds like saying you *can* get high on isopropyl alcohol, and just because its possible to not die on it makes it safe
BUT you say you have more experience and you sound like youve tried this a lot so ill just take that for face value thanks.

DXM + morphine isn't dangerous per se, I've done loads of DCK (deschloroketamine), with heavy tolerance up to maybe 1g/d + morphine 600mg/d and it didn't kill me but I certainly overdosed some times and passed out but the dissociatives have the nice property of protecting you against the same overdose they can induce - NMDA antagonists were in clinical trials for protection against hypoxic brain damage but shelved because of psychotomimetic effects and/or possible toxicity in rats. Remember, rats, and they have pretty different NMDAr function than humans, I'd suspect - plain guess tho - that in humans it's less worse than in rats.

As has been said, dissociatives != downers, they behave more like half an upper than anything else, specially DXM which can increase BP and pulse even into dangerous regions because of its potent NRI effetcs. But this is more of a problem when one wants to do full trips, the amounts needed to potentiate opioids are pretty safe. Depending on your habit one could even mostly or fully replace an opioid with DXM, be prepared for some trippy side effects but dissociatives have the unique ability to mask opioid withdrawal through some wicked receptor interaction.

DXM (at reasonably low doses) is generally safe to combine with opioids (with some very notable exceptions, like tramadol, meperidine, perhaps methadone etc).

Wouldn't exceed 90mg or so. I never liked the combination as the DXM imparts a dirty feeling to it and increases side effects. Then again it's worth mentioning that I never took opioids for a chronic pain disorder (beyond the crushing psychological pain of human existence) so I can't speak to the added analgesic gain of the combination. In my mind that would be the only reason to consider combining the two, ie being a chronic pain patient who's narcotics has lost analgesic efficacy.

Something I suppose I was mistaken about I thought that opiates lingered longer in the system , like in a heroin addict for instance,
and if a heroin addict stopped for like 3 days just for DXM(like a heavy 2nd plat+ dose)
then theyd probably face potentiation from the lingered heroin = may face respiratory depression/unpleasant effects.
Thats where my train of thought was.

when using DXM to help opioids along I would generally take 50-75mg, any more than that and it was generally counterproductive and tainted the high
I agree, with no tolerance/familiarity, 60-90mg could definitely put you in a mild, but noticeable, DXM-headspace. If you really don't want the DXM to interfere, I wouldn't go above 45mg for a first try.

If your doing this try titrating your dosages.
idk if that's the proper term but take some time and record your dosages and experiences and post it here.
if i were you id start at a normal dose of morphine and a low dose of DXM (like below borderline) and then log your experience and go higher with the DXM and ween off the Morphine,
also what is your ROI for both of the drugs?
and what is the form that they take? is the DXM powder or cough syrup? and are you using from Morphine pills or a solution or a pure powder?

EDIT: also what salts of morphine and DMX do you have?

Last edited:
Oh yea and for a dose guide I'd do some research into the different plateaus and see which one would be best for you. Tbh I've only been up to maybe the second plateau which I think is abt 1mg/kg dextromethorphan. Erowid has some good resources for robo tripping.