• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Photo Contest Round 399: Cities (VOTING CLOSED)

Please vote for your favorite submission from the below contenders:

• 1. mal3volent

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • 2. chinup

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • 3. leet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. hydroazuanacaine

• 5. TheBeardedMasonite

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • 6. Xorkoth

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • 7. madness00

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • 8. medbithead

• 9. BehindtheShadow

• 10. White_Rose

• 11. ashwolf22101

• 12. Captain_Heroin

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • 13. animal_cookie

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • 14. dreamflyer

• 15. Kaden_Nite

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
FUBAR

I was trying to get several points across to him, I was a bit fucked up on crack & K cider at the point so maybe I didn't type my views out the best.

I know mate, but I was just trying to point out that it's all a matter of opinion really. The only rule in art is that there are no rules. Things like the rule of thirds, the golden section and perspective, are useful tools for designers and architects who need to make their work as aesthetically pleasing as possible to the largest number of people, but many of the great artists ignore these rules completely.

TheBeardedMasonite's submission is undoubtedly a good image. I would have composed it differently myself, as I'm sure you would also have had a slightly different take on it.

But my point still stands that in a competition, the least you can do is stick to the brief... :D

I know mate, but I was just trying to point out that it's all a matter of opinion really. The only rule in art is that there are no rules. Things like the rule of thirds, the golden section and perspective, are useful tools for designers and architects who need to make their work as aesthetically pleasing as possible to the largest number of people, but many of the great artists ignore these rules completely.

TheBeardedMasonite's submission is undoubtedly a good image. I would have composed it differently myself, as I'm sure you would also have had a slightly different take on it.

But my point still stands that in a competition, the least you can do is stick to the brief... :D

I have to stick up for him a little here...his image is 100% within the scope of the challenge. As much as any of the others.

Check it out:

rules said:
Submissions can include any photos of any part of a city. Perhaps it might be a cityscape panorama from a high place, or perhaps it's a dark, neglected corner of a run-down building. Or perhaps it's a tree in the middle of pavement. Anything goes, as long as it's city-related. Please do not use post-processing, but you can use filters and other tools.

A city is simply a large town. He describes his photo as "the edge of town". I thought it was a cool concept, to represent a city as the image you see right as you're leaving. Rather than a super tall building or the stereotypical grungy urban setting.

I have to stick up for him a little here...his image is 100% within the scope of the challenge. As much as any of the others.

Check it out:

A city is simply a large town. He describes his photo as "the edge of town". I thought it was a cool concept, to represent a city as the image you see right as you're leaving. Rather than a super tall building or the stereotypical grungy urban setting.

Shit, I knew I should have submitted my 1982 monochrome image of a manhole cover... ?

Yes, I really do have one - and I'll be sure to submit it if I can find the fucker...

(Note to self: in future, read the fuckin brief... =D )

Last edited:
Absolutely stunning photos guys. Wish I could vote for more than one. These truly make me feel different things and I appreciate you sharing such beautiful scenery!

Hey man,you should stick around...the 400th round is coming up after this! Should be epic. The more people who participate, the better :)

Hey man,you should stick around...the 400th round is coming up after this! Should be epic. The more people who participate, the better :)

I definitely will! I feel like an idiot waiting so long to join this amazing community. Your photography is amazing and this post truly brought me peace. I too take photos and would love to contribute in the next round! Thank you for posting such a beautiful photo man, seriously. I love how photography can make us genuinely feel and this made my day better!

I definitely will! I feel like an idiot waiting so long to join this amazing community. Your photography is amazing and this post truly brought me peace. I too take photos and would love to contribute in the next round! Thank you for posting such a beautiful photo man, seriously. I love how photography can make us genuinely feel and this made my day better!

Cool man! What do you think the subject of the next round should be about?

Cool man! What do you think the subject of the next round should be about?

Man, if you could make it about hobbies or collections I would absolutely love it! Not the best photo by any means but I would love to see what your guys' interests are or what you collect!FB_IMG_1563480001235.jpg

Leave it to me, the one who scours threads for info vs just lazily asking at the end, probably rubbed off from the focus forums, but when do submissions close on this one?

Maybe a week or two?

Voting has already been open for a while so there's no more submissions on this one :(

Gonna give this one more day. Anyone who hasn't voted, please do so!