• Bluelight
    Shrine

A memorial
    to Bluelighters
    who have passed away

RIP ektamine

I can only check this thread every few months because of the emotional reaction I get from your posts Herb. As a father it is my most feared tragedy made real; the insight you share cuts to my core and I try to take whatever lessons I can as a parent from you. Every time I come back here it is a reminder to cherish and accept and love in the moment. Thank you.

Bluelight is black. For one day.

I miss you. You are more than a name in this damn shrine. So was every other name in here. Sometimes I feel sick thinking about all of it. Tonight is one of those nights.

Very understandable, but I see this as a monument to how well respected and enjoyed he was by many people. The posts, the memories he made with people, and the help he provided will live on through this site as well as this shrine. I personally would find that a far greater honor than some grave stone or a Facebook page. Not many people get monuments in their honor even if this isn't some flashy statue with a well worded quote, it is a marker of what he truly was though. Once again in my mind that's better than some statue or whatever other people are remembered by...

Anyways I'm sending positive vibrations your way and hoping a semblance of peace as well as the great strength your known for will quickly return to you! :)

Bluelight is black. For one day.

I miss you. You are more than a name in this damn shrine. So was every other name in here. Sometimes I feel sick thinking about all of it. Tonight is one of those nights.

I remember you today Caleb <3. I'm here because of you.

Life isn't the begining, and death certainly not the end.. Please let this truth give comfort to those in between.
~NSA

H<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Today I miss you beyond missing
beyond the pain of remembering, beyond
the emptiness even that comes
with forgetting.

Today, I am going beyond
missing you
to a softer place.

If there are any words for it they are like those snowless days,
one or two flakes landing on your sleeve anyway.
Or maybe like a violence that has ended
the way it leaves a deep well of quiet in the silent air,
or the way stars fall murmuring into the outstretched hands of black branches,
every single night,
whether or not we see them.

Last edited:
This strange month that I used to love...May sits ominously buried halfway in my calendar like a tank sits on a hill just outside a city. About mid-April I start to feel the burden of May. You were not supposed to be born in May but when you were, it seemed fitting that you should come in all the profusion of flowers and new green. But May is a month no one should ever die in because it is too beautiful. Sometimes it seems so unreal that you were born in this house, helped to plant the trees and flowers, built the garden walls and walkways with me when you were just a kid. Your Lego guys and your train guys still turn up in the garden.I clean them off and set them back down to be overgrown and unearthed again a year or so from now.

And of course the poppies are blooming. I always loved them, the mysterious way they would come up wherever they felt like it from one year to the next, at least as tall as me, taller than you for so many years. When it was suggested that this may have been the source of the fatal dose of morphine in your body I wondered if I could ever look at them again. In fact, I have an irrational belief that they, out of everything else in this garden that watched you learn to crawl, to walk and talk and get mad and get ecstatic, that watched you work hard, play hard, get crazy, laugh and throw things, build things, make fires, trim trees, relax, the poppies know what it is to go on living with so much sorrow. Flower, plant, medicine, drug, poison. We all carry everything, all possibility. If I want to believe that the poppies loved you, too, I will. I no longer feel the need to have things make sense.

So today, for what would have been your 23rd birthday, I will celebrate who you were while you were here: a lover of beauty, a mind that was on fire.

Jan you're in my thoughts <3

And happy birthday to Caleb. :( I miss you around here man.

I didn't know your son but I wish he was still here too, reading what you said about the river brought tears to my eyes and I don't cry easily. Reminded me how profound the connection between mother and son can be.

^ Seriously qft

I've cried numerous times reading this thread before
It hits me even harder on another level now though because I recently lost my mother

((((<3)))) Bill. Whenever you talk about your mom while she was alive, and now also in her absence from your life, I can feel the depth of love that exists between the two of you. The basis I'm sure is the trust you each had that you were loved for who you authentically are. When you are loved for who you are you are allowed to make mistakes, you are allowed to fail miserably and you are allowed to learn and grow--all the while knowing that human weakness and stumbling and false starts and wrong paths cannot weaken the faith this person has in you. You and your mom gave each other this gift and there is no greater gift we can give each other as human beings than to embrace each other as full human beings.

Thanks for all you've done for this community herb. I can only speak for myself but you've been there for me to talk to when I couldn't really talk to anyone else who could relate to the feelings I was and still am struggling with. You're very important to me and many, many others on here <3

Thanks for all you've done for this community herb. I can only speak for myself but you've been there for me to talk to when I couldn't really talk to anyone else who could relate to the feelings I was and still am struggling with. You're very important to me and many, many others on here <3

+1 thank you Jan!

The cursed day has passed and the cursed night as well. The 1095th day. This is how we count, compress our lives as we spin and spin in our slow swing around the sun. We count our sorrows and the days and nights that hold them. we count our breaths and our heartbeats. We count the hours of sleep and of wakefulness and in the morning we count the birds at the feeder; how many finches, how many sparrows? This year we count the drops of water coming from the tap. One minute running equals 1 gallon. You see how much I want to tell you? How insignificant it would all seem to you now.

When Grandma Diddie was alive she wrote letters to everyone she loved. She taught her sons to do the same and so I have letters from my Dad as well. They were long letters--3 to 4 pages front and back, her writing tiny and cramped, dad's elegant---describing the details of the day or week, nothing beyond. I used to wonder how it was that I continued to look forward to these letters that contained nothing but the minutea of daily activities with sentences like, "hung the clothes out and got them in before the storm" or "took the car in today. Saw Dave and got caught up about the kids". But I understand now because in your absence I want to send you these letters, too. To not share our days, the smallness of them, the profound intimacy of all they contain, is such a constant grief. I want to tell you about the weather, how the hours of the day were spent, all the earthly minutes, busy or idle, these simple acts of living strung together on the sturdy backs of the hours that line up to receive them like patient burros. We load them on minute, by minute, with phone calls and cooking, wiping down the counters, scraping plates and weeding the garden, licking envelopes or stopping to deadhead the rose bush on the way to the car. On the way to work I notice the progress of the work on the highway, new graffitti, the eucalyptus trees at the overpass that look stressed and brittle in the drought. My thoughts race ahead of me: what to prepare when I get to school, who has completed the project and who likely never will , the juggling of all those needs and the warm embrace of the children. But my mind is also in the past, the past that is always present, the night that you were torn from my life like a page torn from a book. My tear ducts are seemingly tied to the ignition of my car now. Turn the key, the tears start to flow. Sacred private space. My little metal bubble is a private world, in transit. So often, with my head full of what was left undone behind me and what awaits my attention ahead of me, the ache of your absence brings me back to the present, erasing all time except this moment. Everything erased except this one primal scream and no matter how I try to stop these words from forming I repeat the useless question against my will: why, Caleb, why?

I was thinking about your son today and was looking for pictures and his infamous cartoon. I don't know if you remember my post Herbavore, but I haven't forgotten how awesome you and Caleb are. My mom's birthday happens to fall on May 30th and I think about the cycle of life and your son.

I remember you.<3

Here is a picture, one I always loved of Caleb (in the foreground) taking part in a traditional kava ceremony in Western Samoa:

Last edited:
That's a beautiful pic, herbavore. I'm glad he appreciated different cultures. So many people don't see the value in exploration of the mind and the physical world and he understood at a young age. Thank you.