• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Piracetam with MXE.. problems?

DexterMeth

Bluelighter
I heard the effectiveness of piracetam is reduced a lot when on MXE or if you have taken it a day or so before. Any input? contraindications?

I don't think MXE really reduces the effect of piracetam based on personal experience, but piracetam does potentiate MXE, as it does with many other drugs. Taking it 24 hours before you dose MXE probably isn't close enough to have much of an effect though.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that piracetam negates the effects of ketamine, so it's entirely possible it would modulate MXE in the same way.

Little is known about the actual mechanism behind piracetam potentiating or not potentiaing drugs, so be careful.

I've noticed that piracetam actually decreases the amount of physical disorientation I have and lowers the cognitive deficiencies during and after the MXE experience. It keeps me clear headed, and lucid. Maybe piracetam is counteracting some of the NMDA antagonism going on? Because i've noticed the wackiness and euphoria is still present, mxe is still probably working in other places at full strength.

Maybe piracetam is counteracting some of the NMDA antagonism going on?

This is exactly the proposed MoA for piracetam working as a "dissociative antidote".

Yeah taking MXE concurrently with Piracetam will make the MXE more of a stimulant and less disscociative, making it feel overall weaker.

Taking Piracetam after taking MXE seems to clear up the effects, at least to some degree.

Also taking a lot of Piracetam for a little while seems to help reduce tolerance to MXE, at least in my experiments. I am not saying it resets tolerance but MXE does feel "stronger / fresher" after a week of Piracetam at solid doses. I often take 5g-8g or more or Piracetam in a day when I do take it, and I certainly do notice the effects. I take it with choline as well.

It seems to do exactly the same thing for MDMA also, a lot of others agree.

Piracetam reduced the negative side effects (short term memory loss, trouble "finding the right words"-type aphasia, general lowered cognitive/motor function) of MXE for me.
Mind you, I was a heavy user. Piracetam is quick way out of the 'dissociative mind'-come down. Without knowing jackshit about it, I'd point my shaky hands towards the (speculated) acetylcholine mechanisms of both substances. You may find that they are contradictory.

edit: Then I read a few posts up - NMDA may very well have a role in this play, too ;)

VERY effective.

I dosed 1 gram of piracetam 1 hour and 30 minutes ago.

5 (~30mg lines) of MXE followed 20 minutes ago. By this time, without piracetam, I am usually immobilized and unable to type. Not really feeling the MXE yet. The overall feeling is very very smooth. I would push the dose further on the MXE, but still waiting to see what it does. My favorite part of MXE is the post ketamine, LSD/DMT/PCP/MDMA-like effects. I can really see the potential in this, if it works.

I usually cannot even read or write, and sometimes not even talk during MXE come ups.

If you are looking to get physically floored, ketamine style on MXE, do not take piracetam with it. I'm shooting for visuals/headspace right now. Will up the dose of MXE. I am responding very well to piracetam alone. Very calming and focused.

I'm going to dose more MXE. The piracetam is so overpowering in all respects. This is very interesting. I'd write a TR, but I honestly feel this is more suited as an ADD subject.

Last edited:
I've noticed that I still get the headspace effects where if I lay down, my imagination runs wild and brings scenes both natural and unnatural running across my eyes even if I use piracetam. I absolutely prefer this combination if I'm going for an introspective experience. Not only does it reduce overall impairment upon dosing, but it seems to make the day after cleaner as well. Drawbacks of course, if you normally judge a dose by how physically messed up you are you're DEFINITELY going to end up overshooting how much you need. Holistically speaking, i'm sure dosing more mxe will increase the damage done to your body.

On the other side though, if I want a buzz, or overall relaxing night I just skip the piracetam and take low dose mxe. Its funny how mxe is practically a panacea for whatever you need

sekio said:
Anecdotal evidence suggests that piracetam negates the effects of ketamine, so it's entirely possible it would modulate MXE in the same way.

Little is known about the actual mechanism behind piracetam potentiating or not potentiaing drugs, so be careful.

Well, piracetam acts as a relatively mild AMPA agonist, which should attenuate some of the effects of NMDA antagonism downstream (as these receptors are both glutaminergic, expressed in similar locations).

ebola

I ended up with a very clear-headed threshold trip, but no real dissociation at all. I was able to walk and talk just fine. If you're looking to get wrecked, do not combine the two.
I've noticed that I still get the headspace effects where if I lay down, my imagination runs wild and brings scenes both natural and unnatural running across my eyes even if I use piracetam. I absolutely prefer this combination if I'm going for an introspective experience. Not only does it reduce overall impairment upon dosing, but it seems to make the day after cleaner as well. Drawbacks of course, if you normally judge a dose by how physically messed up you are you're DEFINITELY going to end up overshooting how much you need. Holistically speaking, i'm sure dosing more mxe will increase the damage done to your body.

On the other side though, if I want a buzz, or overall relaxing night I just skip the piracetam and take low dose mxe. Its funny how mxe is practically a panacea for whatever you need
I concur

edit- Something I should meantion in this: piracetam takes away from the phsycial effects of MXE so much, but perhaps not CNS depression. You can do 10 times (or more) the amount of MXE you would normally dose. Keep this in mind. I imagine a lot of people would OD this way.

Last edited:
Awhile back I had taken a good amount of MXE over the course of an evening, and when I started to come down I took ~1.6g piracetam just because I had forgotten to take it earlier. Within 10 minutes I noticed that my reaction time was faster & I had more control over my body. That is the most I've ever felt the effects of piracetam, normally it is very subtle. I have since used it several times to "clean up" after a night of MXE.

^Ya. I took 1 gram of piracetam after snorting a bunch of MXE today for the comedown. It smoothed everything out perfectly. I then took melatonin for bed and can now sleep perfectly fine.

I've never gotten a "comedown" from MXE. It just wears off gently, leaving me in a pleasant mood.

A lot of people can feel fuzzy headed or experience insomnia following dissociative use (the latter occurring particularly often with more dopaminergic dissociatives).

ebola

Piracetam reduced the negative side effects (short term memory loss, trouble "finding the right words"-type aphasia, general lowered cognitive/motor function) of MXE for me.
Mind you, I was a heavy user. Piracetam is quick way out of the 'dissociative mind'-come down. Without knowing jackshit about it, I'd point my shaky hands towards the (speculated) acetylcholine mechanisms of both substances. You may find that they are contradictory.

edit: Then I read a few posts up - NMDA may very well have a role in this play, too ;)

I've noticed that piracetam actually decreases the amount of physical disorientation I have and lowers the cognitive deficiencies during and after the MXE experience. It keeps me clear headed, and lucid. Maybe piracetam is counteracting some of the NMDA antagonism going on? Because i've noticed the wackiness and euphoria is still present, mxe is still probably working in other places at full strength.

That's very interesting. I enjoy MXE in doses from 5-20 mg from time to time. Not to get dissociative effects, but for its anti-depressant effects and to get work done. Better mood and hypomania, in lower doses (5-10 mg) very effective against ADHD-like symptoms coming from my depression. My mind is sharp, I can read or focus better than with amphetamines. Of course, the effects/side-effects you described linger in the background (cognitive impairments, aphasia, short-term memory loss, disorientation, impaired motor function etc...)

Do you think it might be worth trying to combine piracetam and low dose MXE for this reason - to attenuate the side effects I mentioned? I understand that MXE and learning is counterintuitive, although it acts primarily as a dopamine-reuptake inhibitor, but I never got the sharp, calm focus from methylphenidate or dl-amphetamine (orally).

Piracetam apparently helps against the slight dissociative side-effects - cognitive and motor impairment - of Lyrica. I experience a similar feeling of being "disconnected" when taking my daily dose (450 mg) all at once, especially when combining it with diazepam or alcohol.

So I tried 600 mg piracetam today after taking 450 mg Lyrica, 10 mg diazepam, 150 mg tilidine, 1 glass beer for severe anxiety and pain the night, and my focus improved, I was speaking more fluently, head-space, the cognitive fog and motor functions got better. The anxiety did not get worse, but my muscle pain (somatoform disorder, muscles and nerves are not damaged) a bit.

I wonder how combing carbamazepine (or benzodiazepines, opioids, etc...) and piracetam would work out. Carbamazepine can sometimes be useful to completely kill my pain. You can imagine how awful the side effects with >2g carbamazepine, an anti-convulsant and sodium-channel blocker can get (=face numb, motor skills severely impaired).

Tomorrow, I might try combining 600/1200 mg piracetam and 5/10 mg MXE sublingually. I can give feedback, if somebody is interested.

Last edited:
I can't compare it because I've been on Piracetam even before I tried MXE. So next time I get MXE, I'll try it without the Piracetam.