Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Pill Testing in Australia- Making Ecstasy test kits culture

pinger

Bluelighter
Sometimes I still read threads on bluelight that give me chills. And most commonly I get the shits when people ignore harm minimisation advice. But people who don’t test their pills is guaranteed to put me in grumpy old bastard mode.
www.Pillreports.com is moreso scary, but I guess most people that go there are after the most “fuck for buck” and aren’t looking for harm minimisation sermons from clowns like me.
But it’s the general population I’m more worried about. I was at a party (yes, occasionally they take us on field trips here at the old people’s home) the other night, and during my conversations with numerous randoms (this medication they have me on at the home makes grandpa a bit chatty) I did not find one single person who tested their pills. This from probably a dozen to 15 people. And this was not a wave-your-glowstick-if-your-on-your-ecstasy-honeymoon crowd either. More of a seasoned clubber type crowd.
A couple of them looked at me like I was from outer space, about a quarter to a third had never heard of it, and the others trotted out the same old garbage that:
“Always get my gear from the same guy.”
“It’s always good.”
“You can’t test before you buy.”
“I usually buy in clubs. Can’t bring a tester in here.”
“Still wont tell you how strong the pill is.”
“I trust my dealer.”
“My dealer tests them for me.”
This is shit. I trust my dealer. Hell, he is a good mate. But I don’t trust him with my life. That is a responsibility I refuse to subcontract. Despite the fact that I know he tests all his pills, and is also an extremely educated guy, I still test every time I get a pill from him.
I guess I better explain where this rant is going before they bring the restraints out again. I’d like to see bluelighters take a more active approach in Pill testing. By this I don’t mean going to the lengths of setting up testing stalls (although this is my Utopia), rather one simple thing you can do is to try to educate and encourage others who don’t test. How? I’m not sure. As much as I pretend to, I don’t have all the answers, but maybe a good starting point is a simple conversation. If your having one in a club with a random and the conversation strays to pills, maybe mention it if you are comfortable. Don’t come over all preachy like I am, but maybe slip it in. If you get a bite, give em a run down. Maybe write something down on a drink coaster, cos god knows I have the memory of a goldfish after a big night. Hell, it’s a rough form or geurilla marketing but it’s a product I don’t mind pushing.
The second thing is this post. I’d like to maybe make it a resource for Pill Testing. And for that I need your contributions. I’ll come back and clip any good information into the body of the main post, and moderators, feel free to cut/paste at will.
Pill Testers
EZ-Test, or "pill testers" as they are colloquially known, are bottles of testing fluid used to screen ecstacy pills for adulterants. Usually, a small sample of powder is scraped from a pill for testing, and a drop of the testing fluid is applied to the sample. Any colour change that occurs in the testing fluid can indicate the presence of certain active ingredients, thus giving an indication of the contents of the pill.
Traditionally, testers contained a solution of concentrated sulphuric acid and formaldehyde, known as Marquis Reagent. Some vendors add methanol to slow the speed of the colour change reaction. With a basic Marquis tester, a colour change to purple/black indicates the presence of "ecstacy-like" compounds (ie. MDMA, MDEA, MDA). A colour change to orange can indicate the presence of "speed-like" compounds (ie. amphetamine, methamphetamine), and a colour change slowly grey to black while releasing vapour may indicate the presence of dextromethorphan (DXM). Recently other testers have become available which contain different reagents (such as Mandelin Reagent, Simon's Reagent, Robadope's Reagent). These testers are suitable for further investigation of the content of an unknown pill, however it would be prudent to mention that Marquis reagent is the first choice for adulterant screening in ecstacy pills.
See also: FAQ on Testing Kits
Where can I get an EZ-Test in Australia/Asia/NZ/Middle East?
EZ-Test brand testers can be mail-ordered directly from the manufacturer at www.eztest.com or by clicking the advertising link for EZ-Test found on Bluelight webpages. EZ-Test contribute an amount from the sale of each tester bought using those links back to The New Bluelight.
In Australia, locally produced testers called E or Marquis, and E2 or Mandelin can be purchased from shops that normally sell smoking paraphernalia, and some record and clothing shops stock these products.
Testers may also be purchased from local harm minimisation groups.
Internet Sources
  • www.eztest.com or http://www.mdma.nl/
  • www.dancesafe.org (Mecke test kit- probably more suited to America where DXM is a more common Adulterant)
  • www.chemicalsolutions.com.au
Over the counter (please add sources, especially if there are other non-capital city retailers)
VICTORIA
Melbourne- Off Ya Tree
Melbourne- Polyester Books, Brunswick Street.
Dandenong- Heidi Rose Clothing and Handicrafts, 61 Foster Street (more details on page 2 - see carrion's post)
or just email [email protected]
NSW
Sydney- Reachin Records, Central Station Records
Wyong- wyong smoke shop (located outside wyong station)
QUEENSLAND
Brisbane- Off Ya Tree (Adelaide Street, City) sell E1 & E2 kits.
Central Station (in the City) sell EZ Test kits
Eastern Echo, Coolangatta (maybe check first)
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Perth- Joint Venture
SOUTH AUSTRALIA
Adelaide- Korruptions (Rundle Mall)
ACT
Canberra- Code Blue (local Harm Minimisation group) contact madmick on [email protected]
Adam and Eve (sex store in fyshwick)
Adult World (" " " )
Baileys Arcade Tobacconist
NORTHERN TERRITORY
Darwin-
TASMANIA
Hobart-
Pill Testing organisations
  • Enlighten- http://www.enlighten-hr.org/ (local harm minimisation group that sometimes run ecstasy testing stalls.
  • www.pilltest.com (O/S org which will run full GS content test on suspect pills)
General Ranting
  • If you live with your parents get a friend to get one for you.
  • If you don’t have a credit card, get a friend to do it for you.
  • If you live in an isolated area, ask a less isolated bluelighter nicely, send em some money, and they just might help you.
  • Always test before you buy. Any dealer that will not let you test a scraping off a pill is hiding something. Be an educated and assertive customer. Alternatively, ask for a refund on any post tested pills which do not test properly.
  • Try not to buy in clubs. It is much harder to test in clubs.
  • You CAN afford it. The first time you test a bunk pill you make your money back. Not to mention the hospital bills you avoid.
So yeah, thanks for getting this far- now over to you guys.
PS. I thought I should qualify I have no financial interest or otherwise in any testing kit parties etc. Rather, I don’t want to come to bluelight and read that we lost a member because they didn’t test a pill, nor do I want to read in the paper about such an event.
[ 15 April 2002: Message edited by: johnboy ]
[ 14 May 2002: Message edited by: pinger ]
[ 15 May 2002: Message edited by: pinger ]
[ 15 May 2002: Message edited by: pinger ]
[ 25 July 2002: Message edited by: Pleonastic ]

Excepted from Australia/Asia/NZ/Middle East Drug Discussion Forum Mini-FAQ:
5a. What is EZ-Test?
EZ-Test, or "pill testers" as they are colloquially known, are bottles of testing fluid used to screen ecstacy pills for adulterants. Usually, a small sample of powder is scraped from a pill for testing, and a drop of the testing fluid is applied to the sample. Any colour change that occurs in the testing fluid can indicate the presence of certain active ingredients, thus giving an indication of the contents of the pill.
Traditionally, testers contained a solution of concentrated sulphuric acid and formaldehyde, known as Marquis Reagent. Some vendors add methanol to slow the speed of the colour change reaction. With a basic Marquis tester, a colour change to purple/black indicates the presence of "ecstacy-like" compounds (ie. MDMA, MDEA, MDA). A colour change to orange can indicate the presence of "speed-like" compounds (ie. amphetamine, methamphetamine), and a colour change slowly grey to black while releasing vapour may indicate the presence of dextromethorphan (DXM). Recently other testers have become available which contain different reagents (such as Mandelin Reagent, Simon's Reagent, Robadope's Reagent). These testers are suitable for further investigation of the content of an unknown pill, however it would be prudent to mention that Marquis reagent is the first choice for adulterant screening in ecstacy pills.
See also: FAQ on Testing Kits
5b. Where can I get an EZ-Test in Australia/Asia/NZ/Middle East?
EZ-Test brand testers can be mail-ordered directly from the manufacturer at www.eztest.com or by clicking the advertising link for EZ-Test found on Bluelight webpages. EZ-Test contribute an amount from the sale of each tester bought using those links back to The New Bluelight.
In Australia, locally produced testers called E or Marquis, and E2 or Mandelin can be purchased from shops that normally sell smoking paraphernalia, and some record and clothing shops stock these products.
Testers may also be purchased from local harm minimisation groups.
Great post Pinger!
Cheers, BigTrancer :)

Wh0rd. :)
Upon talking to randoms, I don't think I've ever met a person that actually tests their bickies. It's always some excuse like "I trust the guy" and "My dealer tests them"...
And yes, I'm one of those people that tends to also not bothering testing bickies, after I've tested one from a batch, or after knowing other people that have had them... But I'm trying to change that...
Just got to remember to take my testers everywhere I go... I nearly do already :p
BTW, for Canberra, Code Blue, the local harm reduction group sells testers. ;)

i bought my tester online.. but for people who don't have a cc or don't want a tester sent to their house.. maybe some people could add to the list of names of places the sell testers.. that way people can't stay.. 'i don't know where to buy one' or 'its too far away'
laterz.

Dante is in the know :)
Code Blue is contactable by email and hopefully soon by phone.
[email protected]
Other than that in Canberra, there are a few tobacco shops (can't think of any names off hand) and also many of the adult shops sell the testers.
*shameless plug* Code Blue's prices are better :D
[ 05 April 2002: Message edited by: MezZedUp ]

just querying that email there.. is it definately tpg.com.au or is it the isp tpgi.com.au ?

nice post pinger,
I agree completely with what you're saying.
I was at a club the other night talking to random dudes on the balcony, and at least half the people I chatted to responded with, "I dunno, my mate just gave it to me and I ate", when posed the question "so what did you take tonight?"
There were two really cool guys I talked to who when I told this story immediately replied in unison, "FUCK THAT!".
I just cannot for the life of me understand how people can risk their lives so frivolously and carelessly. I try and tell these people the dangers and the best ways to achieve harm minimisation but ultimately I end up sounding paternalistic and patronising so I've pretty much given up. People just dont give a shit, esp. when they find out testing kits are $30+.
As much as I'd like to be I can't be responsible for other peoples well-being when rolling :(
[ 05 April 2002: Message edited by: Macksta ]

Fab post pinger, well done. I find that while most people still either don't know or don't care about kits, there is a growing awareness.
A common misconception seems to be that testing requires a whole pill. Once explained that a very small amount is all that’s needed, most are usually open to the idea.
The blasé approach of "I know my dealer" is all too common. If a dealer feels any responsibility at all towards his clients, he should use a kit.
An indication only is what test kits provide, but an indication may save your life.
A little side note in regards to using the kits. Being eager to test a new pill when you’re chopped can easily lead to accidents.
The kits contain corrosive acids and other potentially harmful chemicals. Please wear gloves, and eye protection when testing or handling the reagents. I'd hate to imagine what those things could do to your eyes.

Suggestion for those people with a 'regular' dealer: Buy your dealer a tester as a present.
After all, you want them to source good pills for you, don't you? Having them test the pill prior to it arriving in a deal between you and your dealer will save the sometimes difficult situation of knocking them back. I think it would be thirty or fifty bucks well spent.
I'd still test each pill personally for my own peace of mind, but IMHO the more people with testers, the better chance people will have of rejecting shite speedbombs and pills containing undesirable adulterants.
BigTrancer :)

CANBERRA...
adult world in fyhswic
Adam and EVE "
actually most adult stores sell them like hotcakes here or alternatly from CodeBue (me) at a relativly cheaper price then the RRP
[email protected]

Great post pinger :) I think the problem actually goes much deeper than that though. The amount of people who equate the word "pills" with ecstacy is mind-boggling. Where it started I do not know but so many people I know or talk to in clubs just think that if its a pill its ecstacy- and then within that context, there are "smacky" pills and "speedy" pills. When they say speedy they still think its ecstacy but instead of "smacking them out" they dance all night (and it is quite possibly speed). Its a hugely dangerous misconception. "Any bloody powder can be pressed into a pill!" I say and they seem to not quite understand. I think people for some reason think ecstacy=pills and speed=powder-it freaks me out that they could logically think this. This also applies to people who have been popping for several years and still do not know that they have probably been taking speed bombs (or lotsa other nasties) for years! Before we place an emphasis on test-kits, other basic education is sorely needed. But testing is the next (extremely) vital step. I do not actually test my pills, my dealer does *hides* BUT he does it in front of us and tests all the pills he gives us even when they are from the same batch so I guess we are lucky to have such a top dealer.
But yeah, Im with pinger on this one (as Im sure everyone else is).

c'mon everybody, help fill in he gaps as to which stores in which states will sell you a kit. c'mon perth people, adelaide people, brisbane people...

hey, i was serious. could everyone please say where they have bought their kits from, if it isn't already on the above list. share the knowledge.
also, remember that testing your pills doesn't only decrease your chances of getting sick, it can save you dollars as well.

Test kits in Brisbane:
"Off Ya Tree" (Adelaide Street, City) sell E1 & E2 kits.
"Central Station" (in the City) sell EZ Test kits.
Not sure about up the sunnie and down the goldie, but i'm pretty sure some of my north and south queensland brothers and sisters could help out there.

Adelaide Pill Testas -
Korrutions (is this spelt rite?) - Rundle Mall
I definately agree Pinger, spread the word!
I have been telling everyone I can about testing as well as informing them of the brilliant resources - bluelight and pillreports, yay!
Now a lot of the time my dealer asks me wat pills r the go at the moment (he aint on the net) so he can make an informed decision, which I'm quite happy about.
I still test of course (he's a good m8, but neva trust a salesperson) and he's gone and bought himself a testa too!
This all occured afta I came back 2 him in a very grumpy mood afta receiving pink hearts.....yeah the Ket 1's(or wateva the fuck was in em)
I find there's a lot of ignorance out there, but people do want to know wat they r taking (generally speaking) and how it's going 2 affect them.
Happy promoting ;)

Great thread!
I am a firm believer in testing and I want to work towards doing testing at events although it is very hard legally for me to do this as im sure you people know.
I have tested many pills in the last year and all tested for md** until recently, I always said as my pills always test for md** the only real use my tester would be was if I found some 2cb and of course recently I did come across what was indeed 2cb :)
So far I havent tested a single bunk pill, but I think this goes to show the market here in the uk is much better than Australia or the US.

Canberra: Baileys Arcade Tabaconist (sp?) sells EZ Testers.
DJC*