• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids NOW I get it, casual opiate user - NO such thing.

goldbela

Greenlighter
Same story, different day. 53 years old...rode the Norco train for a good two years. Never took more than 10-20mgs, only after work, kept it at 2-3 days a week. Since the script came from my regular doc for "back pain", knew if I ever asked for more, DONE DEAL cause I'd fessed up to a cocaine habit yrs ago (haven't done coke in 15 years - ZERO interest in that shit). In the 2 yrs, pretty much maintained same tolerance level.

THEN, a friend told me about the "drug" doctor. No limits on anything (couldn't friggin believe my good fortune). Provided as much Norco as I wanted, when that stopped working, he suggested goin to the Perc's AND said how bout some adderall for weight loss. My life was fuckin AWESOME for 18 months....sure had to take MORE of the Percs & the adderall but no problem cause I had 'em (paid for by insurance). 3 weeks ago, got a letter in the mail from him, one sentence "I am no longer able to be your primary care physican." Not ONE word about withdrawal. By then, I'm up to 70mg percs and 45mg adderall daily. I'm not an idiot but no prior experience re opiates/adderall, I thought bummer, gonna suck, probably be sick a couple of days but whatever. Well folks....by day 2, yep, POW!!! I died, went to hell & back. was so freaked on day 3, went to the ER. Two weeks in and STARTING to not feel completely FUCKED physically.

HOPEFULLY, end of story....I swear, I don't know how u guys do it.....talk about that old Huey Lewis song, "I want a New Drug" - Peace out to anyone starting down this path, who's been on & off the path for years and to those who never step off the path.

What a great fucking doctor he was. Doesn't sound like he had much care for your health at all. Good riddance to him.

What a great fucking doctor he was. Doesn't sound like he had much care for your health at all. Good riddance to him.

Clearly I wasn't going to him for his "sound" medical advice - as much as I wanna put this shit on him, I gotta own it (guy never even took my temperature). BUT, he KNEW the road I was going and I actually didn't so at least a sentence from him about withdrawal, etc. would have been a nice gesture8)

TBH I have found amphetamine withdrawls to be more mentally traumatizing then stopping opiates.

EDIT: and what goes around.... comes around. Karmas a bitch... nothings free :(

Last edited:
What is your question? If you've been two weeks sans the drugs, the worst of it is over. There are lingering negative repercussions from prolonged use of Opioids, but realistically what you're experiencing is the deficit of Amphetamine in your system, resulting from cessation of long term daily use. It'll get better, give it some time. Eat well, exercise, and maybe pick up some vitamins to help re-balance yourself. Achieve homeostasis.

^ I agree with this. Most people I know who use opioids recreationally do so on a seldom basis. Now, heroin use specifically is unlikely to remain casual (although for some I've seen, it does).

Do you guys think the casual opiate user is a reformed abuser who has seen the light and now - because of his experience to hell and back - able to balance it?

Like I dont think I know anyone who has not escalated or deepened opiate use once on the train. They usually ride it to the last stop, jump off, and now are able to ride it sometimes. but the first trip on it? no way are they able to control the ride lol

Like I dont think I know anyone who has not escalated or deepened opiate use once on the train. They usually ride it to the last stop, jump off, and now are able to ride it sometimes. but the first trip on it? no way are they able to control the ride lol

haha nice metaphor. very in depth

Do you guys think the casual opiate user is a reformed abuser who has seen the light and now - because of his experience to hell and back - able to balance it?

Hell no. This is almost impossible I'd love to see how long any reformed abuser could keep this up without returning to normal use..

haha ^ well that's why I chose the word "abuser" and not "addict."

but it's pedantic.

You hit the nail on the head (first trip on it, no way can u control the ride...especially when they're handed over on a silver platter with no monetary hardship) - by the way, I'm a 53 year old professional woman (funny how many assume "he"). I have no doubt, if Percs/Vicoden were offered to me by a friend (or even if I got a RESPONSIBLE doc to dole out 30 Norco's a month) - I'd probably take 'em and not rush out to find some other source...to be honest, I'm just to friggin lazy to do that. Soooo, I guess I'm agreeing with most on your "theory"....an occassional ride:\ BUT, as far as the adderall, as some have posted, THAT was the kiss of death, that shit is NASTY:X

Originally Posted by cdigital

This is what I do now

Originally Posted by cdigital

This is what I do now

I believe so, as I am a living example myself. I had a terrible methadone addiction, and stopped cold turkey, withdrawal totally at home, in my own bed. Closest thing to hell on Earth that I have ever experienced. Yes, I know. I could have died doing that. :(

I take opiates occasionally now, for pain. I am currently taking Oxycodone for two broken feet. I have no desire to go back down the bad road again, and am very careful.

almost everyone i know who does opiates/opioid drugs are addicts and use as much as they can get

almost everyone i know who does opiates/opioid drugs are addicts and use as much as they can get

I agree, maybe not so much with other opiates but with heroin ive never seen someone use it on some sort of regular basis and not have a serious problem with it.

Well, heroin is sold by dealers to be either vaporized or injecting intravenously. It's natural one becomes addicted much faster inhaling vapors or injecting opioids, both routes make heroin get to the brain fast and there it is deacetylated to morphine and 6-acetylmorphine. Using anything orally it's easier to control oneself and stay bound to the same dose for a longer period of time. Well, the same thing actually goes for injecting if you only know your exact dose. With street drugs it's virtually impossible because each bag is different and even if a dealer uses a scale, street drugs contain different amounts of the substance. When I switched to heroin for about 9 months because morphine in ampules was temporarily unavailable, I was even sometimes told by a dealer "it's stronger than before so try small amount first"...

I agree, maybe not so much with other opiates but with heroin ive never seen someone use it on some sort of regular basis and not have a serious problem with it.

Really? I don't know, man. My girlfriend and I snort dope pretty regularly, and I wouldn't say we have a problem with it. It's true that if there's more in front of me, I will definitely do it, but if it's not or if we can't afford it, then we don't. I would say that we sniff half a bag to one full bag each every day, usually at the end of the day after work and when we're winding down. When we can afford it, then yeah, we'll buy a bundle and rip through three or four bags each. But that's not very often anymore.

i think it just depends on the user and the amount of control they have and also what is going on in their life and what triggers them..there is alot of factors