• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Nitrous Oxide (N2O) Harm Reduction Tips!

Splatt

Ex-Bluelighter
Nitrous Oxide Health Issues:

Nanging too hard is not healthy (although fun), you can suffer from B12 deficiency and other nasty stuff! This is a guide not condoning the abuse of nitrous oxide, but rather to tell N2O abusers already out there, some nasty stuff I've encountered.

You might not think there's much to "nanging" and while a few might not hurt if you are going to become a bulb-whore, like me, you're going to have to avoid some of the nasty bulb habits you can get into. This may save your life one day, here's a run down, I'll edit it if anyone has suggestions and when I remember something else. You might think these are stupid, and anyone with common sense could work it out. Common sense is still common sense when you're in bulb-world, but (in reality) it's the other way around, twisted, chewed up and thrown into the compost (or launched into hyperspace).

The Bulb Machine:

It is REDICUOUSLY IMPORTANT that the bulb machine works, as soon as you're leaving bulb-land, or you might actually be sane for some of the session!

• Make sure the thing is clean!! - Yes, I know it is hard sometimes when you're coming back from a rave, and all you want to do is suck down a few cones, and then some bulbs, and enter the land of MDxx comedown weirdness multiplied by ten. But think about your poor lungs! To clean it, just use hot water and shake it around a bit and wash it out. Then get some tissue paper and dig down around the inside of the machine around the sides, as much as you can to remove any left over gunk/residue. Make sure you dry it really good or wait a bit before using it (so clean it after each big bulb session!).

If you don't believe me that bulbs leave some nasty stuff around, that could turn into something toxic (possibly anyway, or at least not good for you), go and open your bulb machine now, and swipe your index finger around the top of the inside of the metal canister. If you do as much bulbs as me, and never clean it, you'll probably wanna puke!

• Winter Tips! - Sometimes Winter can piss you off with bulbs. All kinds of weird things happen. Like it seems there is less nitrous oxide in each bulb for a start. Sometimes it gets clogged really easily after about ten bulbs, and unless you leave it alone for a bit, it won't be giving you any sweet laughing gas. Running hot water over the outside of the bulb machine seems to work good, but ofcourse don't use this method for the glass syphons. This tip may not sound like a health issue, but seriously, in bulb-tard mode you can do some stupid shit trying to work out why it's not working, then pointing it at your face wbhile screwing the bulb in while the lids not connected to the canister. Yes, I nearly killed myself doing this once.

I also ripped a part of my bottom lip off using bulbs in winter, it was a small bulb machine and it froze up a lot. I ripped the bulb machine away as I felt the cold (retarded, i know), and with force I ripped a nice size chunk of my lip off from inside my mouth, I can astill feel it! It didn't stop bleeding for like an hour, pissing out.

• Make sure everything is tight and the attachments and seals are in properly! - Frostbite is not something you should be getting for exploring the dark, deep, inner workings of your mind, for 15 seconds. I've seen and experienced all sorts of avoidable frost-related injuries and scares.

Just make sure the thing is in tight, and NEVER twist the bulb back a tiny bit after puncuring it, if you're going to double-load, do the action of unscrewing really, really fast! Also don't force double-bulbs in too hard. One bulb is enough at a time (Ha ha ha - Yeah right!)

Self Health Concerns:

• Care for your lungs! - Don't force the gas in, let it come in fairly slowly and breathe it in... You don't want to cough out your precious bulb or worse, pop your lungs.

• OXYGEN DEPRIVATION IS BAD - Duh, but I do it every weekend. Yes, I know you need to hold your bulb in to get the best effects. But it is sooo easy to hypnotize yourself into holding it in for longer than needed, by the gas itself coming on, and a focal point. So practise keeping it in only when you start getting to the peak of the experience.

I've held my breath in a closed car, for like 4 minutes straight once, and came out of the trip having some weird, full-on seizure (witnessed by my mate) where my face was not only pale and drugged-out looking, but it was shaking and my skin was bubbling and what-not exactly in time with some hardhouse music, bass, beats, sounds and all. All I remember is seeing a giant fractal and trying to talk to someone in it. So yeah!! Care for your brain! Hold the bulbs in for like 30 seconds if that. They work fine like that.

• Eye Care - You might think this is just stupid, but on an MDA or MDMA comedown, or even speed. If you do nitrous you can get some pretty crazy experiences, especially because of the sleep deprivation (like merging with your dreams YOU SHOULD be having by sleeping!). But it is so, so easy to stare at a focal point, go into deep hypnosis from the nitrous, and music or whatever, and you'll be staring at something for minutes, without blinking. It is like you are just stuck in that state, and you're sometimes not even breathing and such.

So close your eyes before hitting the nitrous hard on a comedown.... I know that fade-to-black (then black to fractals!) effect is really cool, but c'mon, not blinking for a minute or two can't be healthy, especially when your eyes are probably staring at a light in the dark, with giant dilated pupils from your stimulants.

• Vitamen B12 - Go eat your vitamens after and before nitrous sessions. You might not turen into a cripple overnight, but it will happen! (Unlikely but it HAS happened from extreme vitamen B12 deficiency). If you can't afford the pills eat a banana or three, and some vegemite! See erowid for more details on VB12 issues with nitrous, but most people know of it already.

• Psychosis? PFFT!!!! - It's ignorant to think just because bulbs only last for a minute or so, that they couldn't cause some sort of psychosis. If you're doing it every weekend or every few days, or daily, and with psychedelics or MDxx and sleep dep, you can start to believe some really deluded crap.

You can get some reall freaky REAL experiences that will haunt you forever. IE. telepathy and linked mind trips. I don't want to believe it, but me and a mate came out of the same trip, rambling about the exact same visual and rambling about how we linked subconsciously in another realm. If this happened every few days I would lock myself in the HDS ward.

That's all I can think of for now.. More will come to me, and anyone can add in the thread other experiences and tips to pass on for healthy bulbing!

Last edited:
nice work splatt, reminds me of when Bluelight was full of these threads!

Yes very well done. I'm kinda afraid to look in my bulb machine now :( It hasn't been cleaned since the day I got it 8(

nice work splatt- had a lot of nangs last night.

We use balloons here and do 2 or 3 bulbs at once, recycling the expelled air back into the balloon. I thought everyone used balloons, but I guess they dont.

Oh, something I can add, Be careful when you have bulbs and you have chewing gum in your mouth. If you're not careful you can actually end up inhaling your gum :\ Not cool.

zephyr said:
nice work splatt- had a lot of nangs last night.

We use balloons here and do 2 or 3 bulbs at once, recycling the expelled air back into the balloon. I thought everyone used balloons, but I guess they dont.

Ive never used ballons with nangs hey! i should try that one time

However, due to the high cost yet low amount of time actually being under the effect of nitrous, i never really got into nangs that much. I always think theres better things i can spend that money on :(

Great work Splatt. Came back from a sunday nang session just before. Time to clean my dispenser I think...

I use balloons as well. While in a group we all load up a few and then all inhale at once. Makes for funny times as you come out of it.

I heard someone mention that the powder type stuff coating the inside of balloons is not very good for you. I've read about breathing ice particles etc but just wondering about the powder that comes in the balloons. Don't know if you guys know what I'm talking about.

For the weak minded individual I would not suggest to have a bulb amongst a room full of people cackeling and screaming and making "insane" type noises. That was certainly a trip and a half...

(they were doing that on purpose, I wanted to see what it would be like - nangs can be so diverse)

aBitOfAWorry said:
While in a group we all load up a few and then all inhale at once. Makes for funny times as you come out of it
haha same, all inhale at once, then say "ohhh..." in a barry white voice

the top of the inside of my canister made a lot of finger prints. :O

Can anyone share any tank tips that people normally over look.

There is the big one of not mixing the N2O with oxygen (and checking ratios and quantity), and leaving a mask on with no one around timing (you shouldn't do this at all anyway). So it is best to use baloons for tanks. Also this will eliminate any harsh frost-bite related injuries you might get when something goes wrong. Use gloves or a towel to be safe. Maybe gloves would be weird. I'd freak out thinking my hands were missing half way through the trip (forgetting I had gloves).

But yeah, can any one offer any tips for safe tank use and different methods of (ab)use maybe? Maybe share a horror story and precaution.

Peace

I used to bulb a lot but gave it up years ago, I still remember how fun it was though!

Anyways, back when I was nanging at every chance available, I did a reasonable amount of research into the subject and was able to establish a good set of parameters in which to operate safely. Splatt’s post that started this thread has many of the critical points such as cleaning your bulb machine (that was a big one for me, I never even imagined there could be gunk inside) etc.

One of the main harm minimisation factors however is good ole simple common sense. You can go to far and that is when you can experience troubles. One article I dug up in a medical journal (no online source sorry and cant recall the journal) detailed the story of a 30 something electrician who had developed a 20 pack a day habit!!! The end result for this character was the loss of feeling from his elbows down on both arms and from the calf down on one leg. Another article reported similar results for a younger woman with a similar level of abuse. She also had lost feeling, only in her fingers though, however she also had poor bladder control to add to the list.

Now, when you start talking tanks you are in a whole new world. Outside of avoiding abuse, the key safety issue here is never nang alone! I think it was Erowid where I read this one, but as the story goes a guy shut himself in a refrigerator (unplugged I assume) and turned on a small tank of Nitrous so he could create the ultimate nang experience. Needless to say, he did not come out again.

From my own real life experience, I have seen a 20 yo woman go into epileptic ‘type’ convulsions after doing 4 in a row. The other was the result of what was then called the ‘Power Punch’. This involved smoking 2 cones in a row (pull one down – blow it out – load second cone – next hit of air is via a bong) then taking a hit of Nitrous. This one chap was going for the record, he even had spotters who would hand him the bulb machines (there where 3 each with a bulb cracked and a second one loaded for quick and easy administration), and assist him where required. The end result involved CPR and he had frost bitten type injuries on his lips and in his mouth. That was basically what finished it for me.
:(

I find the best way is to crack the bulb into the machine then put it into a balloon. Then breathe in and out from the ballon till you feel the Nang and then take it all into your lungs and hold for as long as you want. I'm not sure if it's the safest but it gets the best results time after time.

so does bulbing actually damage brain cells???

after every serious session i can feel extreme pain in the cranial part of my body :)

Pain in the head after nitrous is probably more to do with hyperventilation and from holding your breath for long periods giving you a headache. Assuming you take a breath or two between nitrous hits, doing one bulb or a few in a row isn't really going to cause anoxia (deplete your body's reserves of oxygen).... that is unless you pass out and remain without oxygen for a few minutes, e.g., strapped into a nitrous mask, or somehow falling unconcious with an airway obstruction (such as a deflated balloon or respirated vomit).

BigTrancer :)

Two tips:

- Sit down (pretty simple guys)

- If your going to use a balloon and breathe the gas in and out to get maximum effect (this is what I do), instead of feeling like you have to keep going till your going to blow it out and nearly bursting from lack of oxygen, have a break. In and out then stop, wait, take a couple of breaths of oxygen and go back to it. Much more oxygen in your brain, just as much nos in your brain and a buzz that goes for longer, without the harmful effects of oxygen deprivation in general

I only started with nangs on Friday but my g/f had a tip which I've used. Well it's kind of a tip (if it works) so it's a question first...:)

- Apparently when cracking a nang, there are small ammounts of aluminium from the cannister that gets into the nang machine. We put a few cotton wool buds in there and apparently when we take them out, they'll be a little grey with the aluminium?

Is this a wise idea or is it just adding more things that could get into my lungs?